PDA

View Full Version : Evangelion Episodes 25 and 26

Kenny_C.002
05-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Okay. Does anyone understand what Episodes 25 and 26 mean (well other than me, watching it the second time through and getting it)? I kinda want a discussion about these two controversial episodes to end Evangelion. Quite possibly compare this to the movie itself?

mlugia
05-29-2004, 08:12 PM
I was under the impression that Eps 25 and 26 were the inner torment that Shinji suffers through project Instrumentality, while the Movie End of Evangelion was the external occurrances mostly?

Although while the Movie does also go into Shinji's mind, I think Eps 25 and 26 was a self-analysis of Shinji's mind itself, before the Movie goes into other details. Seems to me that 25/6 are basically a rough sketch of the Movie itself, after all, he does recognize possibilities, and the theories and ideas are taken one step further in the movie.

well, my two cents anyhow.

Kenny_C.002
05-30-2004, 03:49 AM
I was actually under the impression that the exact opposite happened during the movie tho. Thinking about it, the World supposedly ended in the original episodes.

Also Misato's death location is NOT in the command centre during the movie, which is another suspicion I've had. Also, the explanation on why Rei wasn't part of the instrumental project was particularly well done.

mlugia
05-30-2004, 04:05 AM
Well, I can't remember which of the 2 eps it was (been a month or two since I watched NGE), but I recall seeing both Misato's death and Ritsuko's dead body floating in the LCL, and that was revealed further in the movie, along with all the other parts of it all, leading me to believe that the movie was in fact an expansion of the episodes themselves, and the final "congratulations" was Shinji's termination of Instrumentality, upon which he returns to the world in the Movie.

And I'm a big Shinji/Asuka fan, so I was happy to see Asuka alive. However, that scene in the Hospital with Shinji and Asuka in the movie was very disturbing, and I thought the movie really brought out the inner torment of Shinji better than most, if not all the series itself, especially his feelings regarding Asuka in that one scene where he strangles her. That scene left a very striking impression on me so I can still remember it pretty well.

Edit:
In Retrospective, I probably should have done what my friend told me and watched the Movie before episodes 25/6 because 25/6 would have made more sense that way.

Kenny_C.002
05-30-2004, 05:02 AM
I see. Yeah. The LCL death was a similarity. But I was still lead to believe the discrepencies between the location of Misato's death, which I think was either a mistake or they just didn't notice (which is a mistake). Otherwise, everything else could be entwined into the movie, yes.

mlugia
05-30-2004, 02:05 PM
hmm. I could have sworn the shot of Misato's death in 25/6 was the same place as she died in the Movie, right outside the elevator. Maybe I'll check it when I have time.

Kenny_C.002
05-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Okay. I'll check later on that too. But either way, I liked the episodes better for some strange reason...

mlugia
05-30-2004, 10:44 PM
Well, I'm a sucker for anything remotely romantic (It's not my fault, I swear!), so the movie appealed to me more, as aside from the mental torment that the characters suffer, there are hints of love that Shinji has that has become perversed by project Instrumentality and his sad (debatable point) life.

Too bad bout the choking of Asuka at the end though, it seems like he's finally broken the barrier that held his anger in. =/

Man, I was so disappointed when the movie cut there though. More S/A >=(

btw, heard about the NGE live action movie yet?

Kenny_C.002
05-31-2004, 02:45 AM
Yeah. me too man. I'm just another hopeless romantic in some ways. lol I mean, I like to play the romantic songs more than the crappy classic, standard beat songs.

Anyway, coming to think of it, the choking part at the end of the movie is actually just before the end of the episodes, right before the wall he has shatters. The part where he decides that all will survive to me seems to be just before. *synchronization of movie + episodes is difficult...very difficult.*

Hypothesis: Shinji says "what a disgusting feeling" at the end of the movie. That would be reflecting off just before the ending where he sinks to his deepest low.

mlugia
05-31-2004, 03:39 AM
Remind me since I'm a little foggy, but Shinji says this right before Asuka wakes up and says "I feel sick", right?

Also, I live in Mississauga, if you care :p

Kenny_C.002
06-01-2004, 03:29 AM
I don't think I recall that. foggy again.

btw, I live close to Toronto...REAL close to Scarbrough/Markham/Richmond Hill. So yeah, if you care. lol

mlugia
06-01-2004, 09:23 PM
Man, if enough Pe2Kers live around the Toronto GTA region, maybe there should be a gathering in the summer :o To see how ugly we really are behind our avatars :x

Anyways, on topic,
Did you feel like I did that NGE's turn from carefree to tense/drama tone was a little too sudden, starting around ep 20something? I swear I wouldn't have pictured it to have such a sudden turn even if I was off watching episode 15, maybe.

Kenny_C.002
06-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Whenever Yui woke up the second time, that's when the plot begins to tighten. It's basically the end, tho. So the rising action should have been there to the climax anyway.

mlugia
06-02-2004, 02:22 AM
Yeah, well I personally preferred NGE before the plot actually tightens, when the pilots actually had their social lives to take care off alongside their NERV duties. (I prefer everyday life Anime, eg: Azumanga Daioh :D)

Kenny_C.002
06-02-2004, 02:28 AM
Well technically when one wants to end the anime or manga, they need the rising actions and stuff to ramp to the climax and end. I see your point tho, they could have dragged out the everyday lives a bit more before ramping the plot on throttle to the end.