PDA

View Full Version : This is just wrong! [PG-13]

Sixto
08-06-2006, 06:34 AM
I read this article on Friday in the Houston Chronicle:

China orders mass slaughter of dogs

SHANGHAI, China — For the second time in days, Chinese authorities have ordered a mass slaughter of dogs to curb a rabies outbreak _ drawing criticism from animal lovers but also support from many who say it's the only way to contain a disease that kills more than 2,000 Chinese a year.

Officials in the eastern city of Jining plan to kill all dogs within three miles of areas where rabies has been found, the official Xinhua News Agency said Friday.

The measure came in response to the deaths of 16 people from rabies in Jining in the last eight months, Xinhua said. It didn't say when the slaughter would begin or how the animals would be killed. It said the city had about 500,000 dogs.

Rabies cases are on the rise in China, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available. Only 3 percent of the country's dogs are vaccinated against rabies.

Last week, a county in southwestern Yunnan province killed 50,000 dogs, many of them beaten to death in front of their owners, after three people died of rabies.

The slaughters have outraged animal rights groups, who call them cruel and a sign of government incompetence in dealing with rabies, an often fatal disease that attacks the nervous system but which can be warded off with a series of injections.

"I think this is completely insane," said Zhang Luping, founder of the Beijing Human and Animal Environmental Education Center.

"What's more, this really damages our national image and sets a really bad example to show how lazy and inconsiderate those local government officials are," Zhang said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called such killings a "hideously cruel response," in a statement on its Web site.

After last week's slaughter, the group canceled about $300,000 orders for merchandise made in China and called for a boycott of Chinese-made products to protest what it calls widespread cruelty to animals in the country.

The killings in Yunnan prompted unusually pointed criticism in state media, with many commentators saying it signaled how little capacity the local government had to deal with routine health issues.

Other slaughters have been reported elsewhere in China this year, although the government says it has no standard policy of destroying dogs.

Zhang, the founder of the Beijing education center, said there were no laws under which citizens could stop the killings. However, she said she and other animal protection activists were reaching out through the media to try to change policy.

"I think this brutal and cold-blooded campaign should stop as soon as possible," Zhang said.

People who answered the phone at Jining's city government and the epidemic control center refused to comment or said they weren't authorized to release information to the media.

The World Health Organization has not directly criticized the slaughters, but WHO experts have said they underscore a lack of coordination and other problems within China's health care system.

The killings have also prompted a slew of impassioned postings in online forums.

"Tens of thousands of people die in traffic accidents each year, but we don't ban cars. Dogs are simply easy to persecute," said one unsigned posting on Xinhua's electronic bulletin board.

"People opposed to killing dogs ought to think how they'd feel if they or a relative was infected with rabies. Are people's or dogs' lives more important?" said another, also unsigned.

I am a big dog-lover, HUGE. And when I read this, I didn't know what to say. This is just wrong. I mean, there has got to be another way. Taking dogs from their owners while they're walking them and killing them right in front of them without even knowing whether they have rabies or not is just awful!

What do you guys think?

MystiKal
08-06-2006, 06:40 AM
It all comes down to what's more important. People dying of rabies? Or dogs dying?

Hmm, I think I know my choice.

DaRkUmBrEoN
08-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Yeah, what VT said.

Human lives >>>>> Animal lives.
Though, it should be spread out more like this.
Human lives >> Domestic animal lives >> Wild animal lives.

Ace
08-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Sometimes, when it comes to survival, all ethics must be put down.

If some higher entity's or some higher command's ideals were based on not committing such acts, then it shouldn’t have made animals to be susceptible to such diseases.

Now, you do have an alternative: Isolation.

But you see, even Isolation goes wrong. Aside from that, funding that kind of project (and still keeping the slight risk of a dog escaping such isolation) wouldn't be something on a political agenda, especially that of the Chinese, so I guess its a lose-lose situation for the dogs. Besides, I don't think they'd (the dogs) would "feel" better off living carrying a disease, so its generally putting them out of their misery of sorts.

It's cynical, but the world is like that, something we all must accept. :ermm:

Surly Professor
08-06-2006, 02:51 PM
I'll have mine stirfried please.

!CeMAn
08-07-2006, 05:34 PM
I'll have mine stirfried please.
Are you kidding me?

Slaughtering dogs sounds like a little extreme to me. We don't have wild rabies outbreaks around here, so i can't understand the frustration with it. But, wouldn't it be a little nicer if every dog was quaranteened? Geez, annihilating the puppies isn't going to cure rabies.

DaRkUmBrEoN
08-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Are you kidding me?

Slaughtering dogs sounds like a little extreme to me. We don't have wild rabies outbreaks around here, so i can't understand the frustration with it. But, wouldn't it be a little nicer if every dog was quaranteened? Geez, annihilating the puppies isn't going to cure rabies.

Disease: Bird flu.
Action: Take care of all chickens, turkeys, doves, and other birds.

Disease: Rabies.
Action: Take care of all the dogs.

Does anyone see any similarities?

Ham and Cheese
08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
No
:rolleyes:

First of all, that doesn't contribute anything, and second, you're supposed to have over four words in your post.

Anyways, enough of that. What DU's trying to say that nobody's going out and killing chickens, turkeys, and every bird in the world just because of the bird flu, so that's why dogs shouldn't be killed just because of rabies.

At least, that's what I suppose he's saying.

Kenny_C.002
08-07-2006, 07:12 PM

First of all, that doesn't contribute anything, and second, you're supposed to have over four words in your post.

Anyways, enough of that. What DU's trying to say that nobody's going out and killing chickens, turkeys, and every bird in the world just because of the bird flu, so that's why dogs shouldn't be killed just because of rabies.

Here's the problem: there is no cure for either disease, and there are no avian flu vaccines (avian flu is like the regular flu on steroids, since it hasn't had any evolutionary time to adapt to the human race yet). While slaughtering bird populations is the only "solution" to avian flu, there is an alternative solution to rabies: vaccination programs.

The problem here is that it's cheaper to kill the x number of dogs than it is to vaccinate every single person in China to prevent rabies from spreading. Animal activists are obviously hating the Chinese government for this, but I'm not sure how the Chinese would even have the money to do a widespread rabies vaccination program to begin with.

SiberianTiger
08-07-2006, 07:15 PM

Somehow I was getting the opposite

DaRkUmBrEoN
08-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Somehow I was getting the opposite

It can be explained in both ways.

Dakota
08-09-2006, 03:55 AM
Aww! I love dogs!

With a little bit of ketchup and chips, they're delicious!

Stefanifan2
08-23-2006, 03:28 AM
I feel sorry for China. SARS, Bird Flu, Rabies, whats next?

Vampire
08-24-2006, 02:35 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAaa....
I can't believe it, that is just nasty and wrong, I am a VERY VERY big dog lover...And I do not agree!!!D:

D-man
08-24-2006, 02:48 AM
Me I hate dogs!!!Mostly because I had a very bad experience, once me, my cousin and my friends we were playing basket-ball.Some drunk men came on the court with his HUGE dog and he let it go!! We all ran for our lives my cousin was the slowest the dog bit his leg and didn't let go until some cop came and shot it.

Well anyways I still think hits wrong to kill so many dog if there not sure if they had rabies or not.But again it dogs lives or humans.

DarkAmethyst
08-30-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm a big dog lover, too. Have 5 of 'em myself. That is wrong, unless the dog actually had rabies, which, like Mario said, the Chinese had no clue about, considering the dogs were just walkin' down the street with their owners or something like that.

Rohypnol
08-30-2006, 02:37 AM
i like dogs i think its a little bit extreme. BUT if it was confirmed that either the dogs die or i die, well i think i'll let the dogs die.

Leoblaze
09-04-2006, 05:10 PM
I think its unfair but the like people said its humans lives that take priority. Then again its wrong that they beat the dogs in front of their owners that just wrong in many wyas. To quarantean them is bad cause they live with the dieseas that affedts them so its basically ending their suffering. But if they are exterminating dogs they should find a more sane way of doing it.

RainbowPikachu2007
09-07-2006, 12:09 AM
poopooocaca!!!!!!!11

I LIKE TO MESS WIT WIKIPEDIA!!!!!!!!11