PDA

View Full Version : The Count of Monte Cristo

Matt & Vulpix
05-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Have you ever read this book? Seen the movie? Something along those lines?

Last year, in ESL-LA English, we read a sort of 'resumed' version of the book. Even though the book only covered Dantes's journey up to the time where he had all of the treasures from Monte Criste Isle.

Then, we saw "Edmond Dantes Pt 1" as this year's annual play (professional play in french). It was okay, but quite boring. I also realized that there were lots of characters we'd never even mentioned in the 'resumed' version of the book (like the count of Mont D'Ego and the drunk guy)- which was, might I say, short. Thin book, too.

Then today, we watched the movie of Monte Cristo in French class. I saw what happened to Dantes after he names himself the Count of Monte Cristo. It's such a tragic ending.

Anyways, all this to say that I would one day love to read the (not resumed) book. In French, or in English, or in both actually. Since Dumas is French, I think the french version would be better but I don't know.

Fernand is such a jack---!

Discuss the book/movie here. ^^

VenusaurTrainer
05-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Great movie, I own it on DVD. My dad has read the book and says its fantastic. :biggrin:

Matt & Vulpix
05-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Yep. Alexandre Dumas is a fantastic author, or so they say :P