PDA

View Full Version : Anime/Manga Review

Kenny_C.002
05-26-2004, 02:25 AM
You know it's the inevitable. We should have a sort of Anime/Manga review topic around here for people interested and might need some opinion on a certain manga.

Anyone can post here about any anime/manga series they've read/watched. But they should promptly follow these rules/guidelines:

1. It is a spoiler if it's not within the first 5 minutes of watching/reading the first episode/manga. Indicate that. Try not to have any info or hint that may spoil that anime/manga.

2. Full sentences. Period.

3. anime should be rated by the quality of the drawings, plot, characters, flow of animation, sound, and total enjoyment.
manga should be rated by pretty much the same things.

4. Intro statements and conclusion statements welcome. Final rating welcome.

5. If you haven't read/watched the entire manga/anime series, it would be nice to indicate where you are when you're writing the review. I mean, sometimes things can change and stuff as time moves on.

6. Type out the name of your anime/manga at the top! I mean they should KNOW what you're rating!

7. If there's another rate on a certain anime/manga that you want to rate, go ahead and rate it if you have a different opinion on it. It's not acceptable if you do a rating that basically says what another said.

8. Helpful is good. :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Readers:

If you're having trouble finding a certain anime/manga, hold ctrl + F and the search screen will show up (remember to let it finish loading first!). Type in the anime/manga name you're searching for and push enter. If the anime/manga name is there, you should be sent to the section/post.

Kenny_C.002
05-27-2004, 03:14 AM
Well then, first one's MY pleasure.

Manga: Ichigo Mashinmaro
Read up to: Chapter 13, in Volume 2

Ichigo Mashinmaro (roughly translated to Strawberry Marshmallow) is about these 4 girls and their everyday lives. We take a look at Miu, Nobue, Chiku, and Matsuri and their lives. Nobue is the 16 year-old and older sister of Chiku. Miu is their next door neighebour (same age as Chiku). Matsuri is a cute little *crying* girl a year younger than Chiku and Miu.

Quality of the drawings

The drawing style of Ichigo Mashinmaro (IM) is gorgeous. So sometimes the girls look like they might need some touch-up here and there (I think mostly Nobue tho). Aside from that, it's very cute.

9/10

Plot

Well technically there IS not plot. I'd like to say that it's just basic random hijinx at this point. Also, it's about the everyday lives of the girls, so it makes sense not to have any sort of plot.

4/10

Characters

The development of the characters isn't really identified at such early stages of the manga. I'm not quite sure whether the characters are dynamic or not at this point, but they seem quite static and right now they seem quite 1-dimensional.

5/10

Originality

Okay. It's a bold move to just talk about 6 random girls, I give the author that much for it. And to add to the difficulty, it's about 6 random girls that somehow are connected by the stupidest of things (or stupid resolutions that they have...or just anything in general). So yeah, random is good.

10/10

Total enjoyment

For random hijinx, zany characters, no plot, and 1-dimensionalism, it's quite good. I think I enjoy it qutie a bit in an entertainment point of view. Then again, I'm satisfied with most manga to begin with. also, i notice NO nudity, which has become a refreshing and pleasant surprise. Also, I'm somehow reminded of the manga with the Goldfish and the school for some reason, which is really cool IMO (connections?).

9/10

Overall
7.4 or 37/50

An impressive scoring for such a random manga I must say. If it's not the zanyness (is that a word?) of the characters and the hilarious moments the characters cook up, I think the rating would have been at least 1 point lower. Anyway, a very solid manga that is highly suitable for manga beginners. Haven't seen manga before? Run to get this, it'll get you in sooner or later!

- Kenny C.002 aka Technochocolate 3000 (on Wednesdays)
May 27, 2004

Jet
05-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Lol... okay... a new one then:

Anime: Galaxy Angels
Seen: whole 1st series, some of the 2nd series, only 1 on the 3rd series

Galaxy Angels is basically about 5 girls, Milfeulle Sakuraba, Ranpha Franboise, Forte Stollen, Mint Blancmanche and Vanilla H. They're part of the Angel Unit: a group dedicated on finding "lost technology"... as it says, the lost technology are "artifacts" that were used lost long time ago. Sometimes though, they also act as personal bodyguards, waitresses, retrievers, almost any occupation while there's no word on where to find the next "lost technology" can be found...

Quality of the drawings

The drawing style of GA is great, simply great. For funny moments, there may be some "scribbling", but its usually followed by a good voice-over and the show continues, you won't even bother by it. There is some CG graphics at some episodes where they use their "frames"; their own unique ships.

9/10

Plot

Although my intro sound like it has a plot... the SHOW, DOESN'T have a plot... nothing at all. They do do those things I said above, but they all do it comicaly... even though at times you think they're serious, later at some point, it becomes hilarious again. There is no plot, just everyday happenings on what's happening with the Angel-unit, and each "show" is only 15 minutes, then followed by another show, having no connection with the last one. They may sometimes look back on a scen before, but beside that, well... still, it IS pretty funny, and some episodes are actually helpful in real life... =P

8/10

Characters

Funny, each one has her own trait: Milfeulle is naive at times, but EXTREMELY lucky, Ranpha wants to get married with a rich handsome guy but usually gets confused on what to do in her future future, Forte is a gun-maniac and acts as the older sister of the group, Mint is a Cosplay maniac, sometimes acts an arbiter, sometimes just a victim, and Vanilla is very religious and quiet. Very dynamic... but as I saw the next seasons, they haven't changed a bit... just more antics, but even more funny =P

8/10

Originality

Well, in my experience, I haven't seen any other show that shows random "everyday lives" routine in an animé. There was one scene though that was a "rip-off", but it was hilarious. SPOILER: Rip-off was from .hack (a fairy from a fountain appears, and asks Mint if she lost "this" costume, or the other. Mint says she didn't lose any, the fairy rewards her with both... though she's trying to get away from costumes for that time.). Some scenes though are original. SPOILER (Forte, Ranpha and Mileufille are in another planet looking for a certain "lost technology", then a "mouse" appeared... which scared Forte (rat-phopia), and delayed their mission much.) Overall, balanced.

9/10

Sound

(Also includes the voicework) The sounds in GA are great, the seiyuus match their character's personality, and sound effects are also nice. Timing of the sounds are perfect. For the intro music, it maybe not suited for the type of person who doesn't like hyper cheery music with I think kids singing in the background, but I like it. Ending songs are mellow and relaxing though, still sorta like kids singing.

9/10

Overall
8.8 or 44/50

Well, GA's funny, period. It's purely comical, no storyline (although the manga and the game have a storyline with good vs. evil plot, it's SERIOUS, not much humour), but the overall humour of it just makes you forget your problems even just for a bit, and makes you see that life has it's nice moments =P ^^;

- Jet Williams
"Are you wandering between the void of Zero and Infinity???"

Kenny_C.002
05-30-2004, 04:32 AM
Manga: Ichigo 100%
Read: English to volume 4 (somewhere), Chinese from chapter 90 (vol 10) to 108 (vol 11)
ESRP rating: Teen (13+) *It's considered quarter ecchi for me.
Genre: Romantic Comedy with ecchi

Ichigo 100% is translated as 100% Strawberries. As the manga translators say, "One guy, many girls...enough said".

Quality of the drawings

Gorgeous drawings...absolutely gorgeous. The characters are all beautifully drawn in every detail. The problem is that there are 2 characters that can get difficult to recognize due to their similar looks.

10/10

Plot

The plot is about this guy, Junpei (Manako?), who goes to the roof one day in school and sees the strawberry panties of a girl falling down on him (he wanted to film her panties because it's artistic, apparently). After that, he wishes to go out with this girl ever since...but he doesn't know this girl. The plot of this series in the early volumes can thicken to a certain extent, but it tends to thin out later on (with many girls). Also, as plot moves on, I'd swear Junpei knows by the second or third volume. So then it goes goes into this love polygon...

3/10

Characters

all the characters have some sort of personality that "suits" them. The only problem is that Junpei seems to be the only majorly dynamic character. Aya nor Tsusaka (the 2 female leads in the firest volume) don't seem to be very dynamic, though you can expect some changes between the characters. Other characters tend to be generic and 1-dimensional. So main characters = good. Minor characters = bad.

6/10

Originality

this manga is generic. Highly generic. The only exception to this manga and others like it is that Ichigo 100% contains absolutely no nudity (replaced by massive amounts of panty shots, upskirts, downblouses, etc. that don't show any nudity). No, it's qutie perverted still. I mean, I'd be drawing the line between the occasional awkward "camera angles" and this. Generic 1 guy, many girls senerio, tho.

2/10

Enjoyment

Yes it's sexy and it's supposed to be. It's entertainment for the guys who don't get the romantic comedy the girls dig. The plot's about the nerd/geek guy man! For goodness sake, this manga is highly generic on a topic that works! I sure did enjoy it until the massive amounts of perverted angles become a nuisance. At which I was at the point of just glancing the pics and reading the lines only. Doing that, I found it highly enjoyable as a romantic comedy. Even then the plot thins out with many girls. I think I started to name them just "this girl", "that girl", "Aya", and "Tsusaka". The guys I don't even pay attention to, since they don't really contribute to anything. If you like to see the girls in every possible angle, then this would be a 10 for sure.

6/10

Overall
27/50 or 5.4

Just barely above average rating. Of course, if it floats your boat, this can easily be a highly rated manga.

- Kenny C. *Aya is the best in this manga...really*

Kenny_C.002
05-30-2004, 04:55 AM
2 Manga for the price of 1! :P

Manga: Pretty Face
Read: Volume 5 of 6 volumes
ESRP Rating: Teen (13+) *note, the majority of the nudity is censored out, but still 1 or 2 shots of nude women are still there
Genre: Romantic Comedy

Pretty Face is a critically acclaimed manga that may hit the North American shores (because it's so popular). I'm sure many has heard of this magna manga before.

Quality of the drawings

Pretty Face is...pretty face (can't pun). I mean, this series has almost perfection in the artistic style. For the most part, the drawings are absolutely overwhelimingly beautiful. I consider some of the art in Pretty Face to be one of the best.

10/10

Plot

It's about Randoh, a karate guy who's incredibly arrogant. He likes this girl named Rina for a long time. After horrible accident, his face is destroyed, and everyone thinks he's dead. A plastic surgeon (perverted one) changes his face to that of Rina's. On the street of that same day, Rina sees him and thinks he is her long lost twin sister. Randoh is now torn between spending time with Rina as her sister Yuna or turning his face back to what it should have been. I liked the plot twist at the end (esp. when I'm not even done the manga yet, I want to know what happens next).

8/10

Characters

The story is basically about Rondah and Rina, and Rondah is a highly dynamic character (as he tries to adapt to a life of girls). Rina, on the other hand, seems 2-dimensional, but static. Other minor characters are placed in there, and they seem 1-dimensional.

7/10 (the main characters is all that matter lol)

Originality

It's technically a spinoff of the old romatic comedies. But the crossdressing thing with Rondah is too much for it too be not original. It is likely the most original of this genre for sure. The humour also is quite original due to the crossdressing problem.

8/10

Enjoyment

I love this manga, as you can see. The enjoyment for this manga is quite high for me. It's quite sexy at times, sometimes the right times. It's humourous at the right times. It's 1-dimensional enough for hte plot to work out, yet twists on the story can be inserted easily due to its structure. You probably won't know what will happen next (then again, it's predictable enough too).

10/10

Overall
8.6 or 43/50

An excellent score for an excellent manga series. It's only 6 volumes long too, so it's quite a quick read. Too bad the translations are quite slow and there are no raw chinese manga for me to chew on. One of the best I've seen of this genre. And the score I feel reflects it.

- Kenny C. *Rina Fan*

Kenny_C.002
05-31-2004, 03:02 AM
Manga: I's
Read: All 15 Volumes (end)
ESRP rating: Adults (18+)

I's. No comment.

Quality of the drawings

Aside from the front covers (which looks realistic rather than anime), 2 words: Wow. I mean 1 word. Really, even the fan service in this manga is drawn nicely, although the fan servicing can get quite annoying at times.

10/10

Plot

It's about Seto, who falls in love with this girl in the drama club named Iori. The problem is, he cannot confess to her because of his situation...hegot rejected too many times in the past. Throw in obstacles and such and you've got the plot.

*Spoiler part (yeah, spoilers!!!!!!):
Well after a few more volumes, Itsuki (childhood friend of Seto), appears and he starts to like her too. Anyway, it always seemed that one obstacle that he always faces is another girl, let it be Itsuki in the beginning, Izumi in the middle, or the last girl at the end. Either way, the predictable ending was nice there, even though the author revealed a little too much on some things...

9/10

Characters

I know for certain that all of the characters are DYNAMIC!!!! Minor characters are not, but they only basically fill roles of characters that left. Even those characters have some dynamic elements to them.

*Spoilers:The last girl, I'd like to know where she was...

10/10

Originality

Generic romantic comedy. Either way, this one's just as generic as all the others. I feel more attached to this one tho. Personal experience or something.

7/10

Enjoyment

Me, yeah. If you want fan service, you'll like it. If you want fan service at the end, you'll be disappointed. You want the ending that you predicted from the beginning? You got it. The twists in the plot made me like it even more.

10/10

Overall
46/50 or 9.2

I think the score relfects it all. Get it. Really. I mean, if you're a hopeless romantic like me, go get it. If you like fan servicing, go get it. If you're the action guy, you'll probably hate it. Either way, I recommend it. (personal connections???)

- Ken, hopeless romantic

Kenny_C.002
06-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Manga: Saishu-Heiki Kanojo Sidestory
Read: The whole 1-shot
ESRP rating: Adults (18+), explicit gore and nudity, highly suggestive themes
Genre: War Romance

SaiKano Sidestory celebrates the coming of its anime, Saishu-Heiki Kanojo (Ultimate Weapon Girlfriend), written by Takahashi Shin. Let's show a comment done by SnoopyCool, which illustrates why I'm doing this review:

"SaiKano... every description I can think of just falls short. However I will say that it is a love story for people at least over 16 or 17. And if you aren't into mature themes, this probably isn't for you. However, I highly recommend this to all of you, it holds a lot of lessons that should be taken to heart."

Quality of the drawings

It's a war story, and the setting, the graphics, and everything else just clicks into place. It just felt horrific.

10/10

Plot

It's a one-shot, the plot is amazing. It really does look deep into a soldier's mind, it shows WHY. I can't really say anything about the plot, since it's like the whole thing if I tell you.

9/10

Characters

Particularly well developed for a 1-shot. The two main characters are taken into account for all.

10/10

Originality

It's from the POV of a soldier, it's quite like the previous war stories, but this one is particularly well done.

8/10

Enjoyment

It teaches, the weapon itself. I really liked this story, even if it is one-shot. It does make me want to read the 7 volumes of SaiKano. As I said, this is really worth your time.

10/10

Overall
47/50 or 9.4

I'm agreeing with SnoopyCool here, it's one of the best stories done and one of the most meaningful.

- Kenny C., not a war veteran

Kenny_C.002
06-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Manga: Ranma 1/2
Read: All 38 Volumes
ESRP Rating: Mature (+17), lots of nude shots of Ranma, and some of all the other girls
Genre: Action Romantic Comedy
Licensed by Viz Comics

There was a time before InuYasha (If you haven't noticed, the author os InuYasha is the author of Ranma 1/2), a time when Anime was unheard of in North America. This is one of the pioneering manga that had something to do with the anime explosion.

Quality of the drawings

I grew up with Ranma the anime, so I'm quite accustomed to the almost anime style that the manga has taken. It's still excellent quality and keeping it around for 38 volumes is indeed VERY difficult.

10/10

Plot

Ranma moves into the Tendo family one day with this father. The Tendo family consists of 3 girls and one grown man (the father). Apparently Ranma is engaged to one of them (like any one of them he wants), and this series begins on that rainy night.

The storyline doesn't really pick up until probably the last 2 volumes, so it's like the everyday life of Ranma in the Tendo family. We then throw in random characters, random martial arts battles and techniques. After that, we throw in an exceedingly cool finale. That's Ranma for you!

7/10

Characters

Again, the 3D characters are basically the main characters and Ryoga (okay MAYBE the oldest sister of the Tendo family). Everyone else are one-demensional. Also the fact that there are so many one-timers in this series that made it a little weaker.

7/10

Originality

The Pioneer of crossdressing funny manga! w00t! Sorry.

Anyway, it's quite an original concept at that time. Although I haven't seen a single attempt at something like this since Ranma, I'm pretty sure Ranma's so established that nobody will ever try.

10/10

Enjoyment

Hehe, Ranma's funny. Same with the "macho chick". Crazy people and crazier plots and martial arts contests make this highly enjoyable.

9/10

Overall
8.6 or 43/50

Thinking about it, I think this manga series did deserve all the claims and clamours for it. Really if it was 10 years ago when this was still new, it would have had a higher rating than this for sure. But it's been 10 years and it's still going strong, and that makes it a classic.

- Kenny C.002 "The Yellow Dart"

Ice Demon
07-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Anime: Full Metal Panic?: Fumoffu
Rating recomendation: Prolly 13+ for some cleavage and adult situations, but that's only in some episodes.

Drawings: Full Metal Panic?: Fumoffu (Also known as FMP?F) has beautiful art, especially for anime. It has been known that anime has a 3/5 star drawing style, to make it easier to animate, but FMP?F does no such thing. Every character is drawn with great detail making for a very attractive drawing style.

10/10

Plot:The plot in FMP?F isn't really solid, but in my opinion comedy never does. The story line in FMP?F is set up very well enough to create laughs the whole time through the episode.

10/10

Characters: The characters are the same from the original Full Metal Panic! show, and the writers do a very good job at making action characters turn comedic in this series. The character relationships are very well developed in FMP?F, the best I've seen in a comedy show.

10/10

Animation: The beautiful 30 fps animation flows very well. This musta driven the animators crazy, I haven't seen a lot of anime shows (movies, yes) that have both great animation and artwork, however FMP?F makes an exception.

10/10

Sound: Both the FX and voices are done very well in FMP?F. The voices fit the characters and all the footsteps, explosions, screeches ect. are snyc'd exactly.

10/10

Total Enjoyment: FMP?F is a very enjoyable comedy, if that's what you're looking for. FMP?F has an excellent blend between slapstick, character jokes, and plot situations, which creates a great comedy.

10/10

Bottom Line: FMP?F is the best comedy anime series I've seen, and is in my top five list of the funniest shows ever. With rich drawings and animation how could one pass up such an excellent anime series?

10/10

Peace
Ice Demon

Kenny_C.002
08-29-2004, 02:58 AM
Manga: Angel Anctuary
Read: All 20 Volumes
ESRP Rating: Mature (+17), there is no nudity in here, but quite a bit of resident-evil-esque gore
Genre: Action Adventure with a touch of romance

I've not heard of any licensing for this. But I'm not surprised if it is. Yuki (can't remember last name...) is a VERY good artist.

Angel Sanctuary...I remember the times when my friend recommended this to me, saying how it was so complicated and stuff. I decided to tackle all 20 volumes of this epic manga.

Quality of the drawings

Yuki sets the bar for beauty in drawings. whether it's an angel from above, a demon from below, or a plain human, she draws them so perfectly and so beautifully that you just can't help but stop and admire this. Well...for me anyway.

10/10

Plot

We have Setsuna, a regular guy...well not really regular. He has several problems in life, including those of regular teenagers, but there are 2 that makes him special. First is that he absolutely is in love with his sister. No, it's not the family love we're talking about. It's incest. The second problem is that certain people think he is the reincarnation of Alexis (the Organic Angel), the most powerful angel who's sided with Lucifer against God. The story unfolds as the situations he gets into become more and more confusing to everyone, including the reader.

The entire series are split into different "arcs" (I think it's 6 in total. I stopped paying attention to these details at the end), which depict different points within Setsuna's life. It is actually very interesting how Setsuna evolved throughout the manga and the ending may be quite surprising to some.

10/10

Characters

Characters? We've got 20. Half of them are regulars. The rest stay for at least 1 or 2 arcs. A large number of characters tend to be one-demensional (the supporting), yet we do know there are plenty of main characters that are constantly evolving. I can also see even 3D supporting characters too. We're talking Yuki actually taking the time to set everything up well, with flavourful characters within the sotrylines.

10/10

Originality

It's about Angels, demons, God, and rebellion. The perfect formula for stirring every bit of every person in the world PLUS Oscar winning plotlines this is. It's so daring and so rebellious of the conventional that Yuki practically DEMANDS at 10.

10/10

Enjoyment

Enjoyable? Yes once you've read it over like 3 times. Once the confusion has been lifted from the manga, everything you see becomes insightful to the grand picture, let it be the beginning or end. The drama is so thick that you can't cut it without using some large axe...or at least a chainsaw.

7/10

Overall
9.4 or 47/50

This is the highest scoring I've given so far, but it's because it's worth at least 3 reads before the average person can understand it that it becomes apparent that Yuki is creative, original, powerful, and definitely an A-class artist. Deadly.

- Kenny "Organic Angel" C.

Kenny_C.002
08-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Manga: Lilim Kiss
Read: Both Volumes
ESRP rating: Teen (13+) *light hentai
Genre: Romantic comedy

From the same author and animator of Ichigo 100%, comes the story of some guy...and a demon.

Quality of the drawings

It's really good, the drawings. I can see talent in there, and heck they're all drawn to perfection. Yes, from the wacky characters to the puffball thing, it's all good.

Yes the hero looks like Manaka from Ichigo...and the heroine looks like Aya Toujou from Ichigo...

10/10

Plot

So it's about this guy who found this necklace. Apparently this necklace has a little pot (or something like that) and when he opened it...Lilim came.

Okay, it's probably a better plot than Ichigo 100%. Since it's much shorter to begin with, it doesn't seem dragged.

6/10

Characters

All the characters have some sort of personality that "suits" them. This time both the hero and heroine both are relatively good. The other supporting cast is okay at best...still.

7/10

Originality

The angles return in Lilim Kiss, but the little demon plot is refreshing for a romantic comedy compared to the other stuff.

8/10

Enjoyment

Yes it's sexy and it's supposed to be. It's entertainment for the guys yes. At least this time we're talking about a supposedly hot guy getting a cute demon girl. And yes, it's for the ichigo readers who've been wondering how Toujou would be like if she was so open and aggressive.

6/10

Overall
37/50 or 7.4

It's an above average rating. The reasoning toward this is due to it being so short and therefore not get relatively annoying. Nice.

- Kenny C. *don't ask me why I'm having Tsukasa in my sig*

Jet
08-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Anime: Rave the Groove Adventure
Seen: 1st series only (can never find the ova)

(FROM http://www.geocities.com/haruluvelie/Main.htm)

The Continent of Song is in chaos. The sinister secret society known as Demon Card is using the power of Dark Bring to destroy everything in their path. The only things capable of stopping Dark Bring are the RAVE stones ... but they were scattered around the globe in an explosion 50 years ago. Now they must be collected by the RAVE Master in order to stop Dark Bring once and for all.
Siva had been the RAVE Master in the last battle against Dark Bring. Now he travels the land in search of Plue, the RAVE Bearer who will guide him to the lost stones. But RAVE has other plans. A new master has been chosen: Haru, a sixteen-year-old boy from Garage Island. He didn't ask to be a hero, but the role falls to him when he pulls Plue out of the sea.
Alerted to the presence of a new RAVE Master, the agents of Demon Card are out to get him, and they'll do whatever it takes to see that he is eliminated and the RAVE stones destroyed.
Haru doesn't go on his quest alone. He's joined by Elie, an amnesiac girl with a taste for gambling and Musica, a Silver Claimer (warrior alchemist) whose family was destroyed by Demon Card. As they travel across the Song Continent, from Ska Village to Punk Street, they encounter many more bizarre allies and awesome opponents. The Groove Adventure begins now.

Quality of the drawings

Decent graphics. Clear difference between male and female, and each character is also unique too. No cg graphics, but transformation sequences of weapons are cool... (Trivia: Those who have watched Get Backers, there are 3 spoof guys from Rave made an appearance there, where Natsumi became a retriever)

9/10

Plot

The plot is cool... see the intro for more details =P

9/10

Characters

Variety of characters, and each has a different trait as well. Main character is Haru, the cool, yet immature, yet clever protagonist of the show has justice burning in his heart (well, for the later episodes anyway). Plue, a snowman/dog being, that sorta looks like a pokémon... who knows what HE is... well in the show they say Plue's a "he"... Plue has hiddn power inside, but "rarely" unleashes it... (emphasize rarely). "Elie", a lucky, mysterious girl who tagged along with Haru... though all trough out the series, and in the manga, she is called Elie, nobody really knows her real name... Sieg Hart, once a cool bad-guy, then a cool good guy. His real objective was to kill subject... 3173... if you read it upside-down, you'll notice that it reads "ELIE"... BAH... I can't jot down every character... the fact that you need to know that there's a LOT... and each has his/her own unique background.

10/10

Originality

In short, the plot very original. magic, weapons and transformations are original in a sense that it is SO IN DEPTH..., there are 60+ unique weapons and attacks with their OWN NAMES.

9/10

Sound

Voicework is nice. Sound is nice too. Overall it's ok, but the only VERY good sounds here are the intro music and ending music. The rest ARE good, but, I've heard better.

8/10

Overall
9 or 45/50

Rave, the Groove Adventure is great anime. Though after seeing the last episode, you may say "What??? What the hell happened next? That's the last episode?!? What about the others?!?" Yep, Rave's (tv series) ending is sorta off, the story isn't complete. The story will end if you watch the OVA... or read the manga. the manga though has some different twists than the show, but mostly similar. Rave is sorta like being in an RPG: Many things to wonder about, many things to think about too =P

- Jet Williams, Sieg Hart wannabe

Kenny_C.002
09-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Manga: Legend of Mana
Read: 3 Volumes
ESRP rating: Teen (13+)
Genre: Action Adventure

Based on the games Secret of Mana and Sword of Mana (ooo!).

Quality of the drawings

For some reason, I just feel like half the drawings look...weird. The other half looks...okay.

7/10

Plot

It's about the adventures of Toto! The payment he needs are models and autographed photos (what cheap payments!)! O, let's throw in some random stuff about these other characters while you're at it.

8/10

Characters

Aside from the incredible stupidity that practically everyone has, it's alright. Really, I haven't seen much other than Toto helping the bad guy or idolizing the bad guy just to be told that he's helping the bad guy and he needs to defeat him/her/it. And the characters are all still relatively cool too.

8/10

Originality

It's based on a video game. Or rather a video game is based off it...I'm not sure. Either way, there will be familar characters in the manga. Like lil' Cactus makes a comback...and rabbie is there...and Niccolo...and Annie for that matter (she's only in a omake???)...and probably more subtle references that I missed.

6/10

Enjoyment

Aside from Toto's stupid and amusing behaviour (nose bleeding while taking a doll's clothes off? wtf is he smoking?), you gotta love the guys who hold the powerful sword of mana...well Toto does...or his supermarket short swords. The rabbie humour got to me.

8/10

Overall
37/50 or 7.4

How did this manga get such a low score? Seriously, I didn't like the drawing that much. And I haven't seen the heroine even this far into the manga. It's like...sad. But you'll get the kick out of the manga if you've played the games. :silly:

- Kenny C. has beaten Sword of Mana, yes.

Alakazam
09-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Manga: Legend of Mana
Read: 3 Volumes
Genre: Action Adventure

Based on the games Secret of Mana and Sword of Mana (ooo!).

Is it also based on the game "Legend of Mana? :rolleyes: :think: (<- sarcastic emoticons)

Kenny_C.002
09-02-2004, 11:05 PM
Yeah, but it's like...old skool and nobody's heard of it except for...that guy. And you...and the forgetful me. But still! :silly:

Kenny_C.002
11-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Anime: Gundam Seed
Watched: all 50 episodes
Genre: Action Mecha

Produced in 2002, and now just coming into America, it's the second series to make it in, and is the newest contender to Gundam Wing.

Graphics

A portion of the series is computer animated. This unique combination has been shown in many of the new series from Sunrise, presumably to conserve cash count. The seemless combination, however, made this worthwhile.

9/10

Plot

Kira, a normal civilian, is dragged into the dreadlock conflict between the Coordinators (the meaning of coordinaters areshown to you later in the series), their arm ZAFT, and the Earth Alliance, led by the naturals. Things begin as Kira noticed the person stealing a top secret project is none other than his long lost best friend...

Overall the storyline is separated into 4 arcs, each with its own opening theme. Of those 4 arcs, only by the end of the second arc did the plot begin to really rev up. In my opinion, the beginning dragged for too long. The ening to this plot is also quite unsatisfying, as unanswered questions littered. However, we now know that there is a sequel to Gundam Seed, so we can...sort of overlook that. This is hte lowest score I've given to a Gundam series.

6/10

Characters

Kira is a stupid wimpy idiot. Naw, I just can't put upwith him for some reason. The question now is how did they manage to include so many characters. The answer: discard some now and then! I didn't like how they made one of the characters shift from the backburner and the antagonist and back to sort of a protagonist in the backburner. Overall, however, it was decent.

8/10

Originality

Gundam? It's never been original since the 5th Gundam series. However, the twist of the coordinators gave this a higher rating.

7/10

Enjoyment

No matter how bad the plot and characters are, the action is still extremely well done. What can you say, I liked the fighting. The whole Kira thing and that one character (whom I really wanted to have placed into a stable, antagonist-to-protagonist shift), I've enjoyed a relatively decent series.

9/10

Overall
39/50 or 7.8

Whoa, that's quite a low score. I would have personally thought the series wouldhover over the 80-range, and I guess this one ended up on the lower end of things. No biggie. It's still a decent series, but not a major competitor against Gundam Wing. Gundam Seed Destiny, however, can be a different story...

- Kenny C., pilot of Providence

Kenny_C.002
11-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Anime: Witch Hunter Robin
Watched: all 26 Episodes
Genre: Action Suspense
Currently licensed and airing on YTV, Cartoon Network (if I recall, and probably Adult Swim), and Teletoon (I think).

320 years since the coven sank into the dark,
an anime watcher
fulfilling prophecies
rating the series
"Kenny's Rate"
*I did not try to completely copy it all. lol

Graphics

Sunrise, Sunrise, SUNRISE!!!! WHY do you use...COMPUTER?!!?! I don't know, it's still looking as good as Gundam Seed's style, so I'm not actually complaining about this budget-saving technique. After you get over Robin's ridiculous hairstyle, hey she's pretty cute. :tongue: What I mean is, the graphics are overall well done, since we already know Sunrise's production standards.

9/10

Plot

STN-J is the Japanese branch of a witch hunting organization called Solomon (which its HQ is in Europe). One fateful day, one of the hunters in STN-J died, and Solomon sends a replacement hunter to STN-J...her name was Robin.

The story itself isn't actually separated into distinct categories, but you know when the story begins to shift its focus. Overall this story is intriguing and begins with masses of information that seem worthless at first, but may be informative later on in the plot (or it's just plain worthless). Either way, it keeps you guessing on who's the real good guy and the real bad guy. Man, the suspense was killing me by like the turning point in the plot, so I personally think it's that good. However, you still have to trudge through the slower starts, hence the slight drop in plot.

9.5/10

Characters

The most well-developed characters are the members of STN-J (obviously), and it didn't really matter whether the good guys/bad guys/intermediates/etc. are suffering from one-dimension syndrome.

9/10

Originality

I don't know whether the basis of WHR is actual witchcraft or not, but since witchcraft in general is the basis of many magic-based anime, I hesitate in giving it a high rating. However, the use of witchcraft in this setting is relatively original, and the Orbo twist is kinda cool.

8/10

Enjoyment

Oh man, action packed AND with a good plot PLUS relatively good suspense to round off the hot, blonde chick's story. :tongue: Seriously, I find myself enjoying this series much more.

10/10

Overall
45.5/50 or 9.1

Any series with over 9.0 for a rating is good. Yes, now you may watch the dub (which is alright compared to the sub. They're getting better with the dubs here, unlike the EXTREMEly crappy Gundam Seed dub.). Woohoo Robin! Now go watch this series.

- Kenny C., User of the anti-orbo (is there such a thing????)

Kenny_C.002
11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
PRELIMINARY ACTION!

Anime: Mai Hime
Watched: Ep 18, ongoing fall anime
Genre: Action
This series is another sunrise series and is currently airing in Japan.

So let me get this straight, we have a brunette, a chick with blue hair and this other chick as our main characters? Oh, there's some guy?

Graphics

Hmmm....I like the overall artistic style of this anime. I don't think there's too much to say other than "it's typical" and it's following the tradition. If it's any consolation, Mai has big breasts while Kuga's got a "supermodel" body. Oh, and Mikoto is still in grade school (GET HER OUT OF YOUR GUTTER!!!!). As for the ladies, there are still plenty of guys around (but I don't remember ANY of their names as I don't tend to remember any names other than the main characters). THERE IS VERY LITTLE SERVICING, AND I LAUGH AT YOU SERIVCE LOVERS! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

8/10

Plot

HiME. What is it? Mai sees a red star out in the distance. What does it do? How is she transferred to this new school on a scholarship?

So the plot currently is moving into its second phase, with the first phase (I call it the first arc, a clear tribute to Angel Sanctuary) done fairly well. The whole plot involved a company in the first arc, and rapidly changes to something dramatically different in the second arc.

So why the low score? It's mainly due to the fact that really only the end of the first arc when any story was developed. I don't care if it's 15 eps long, I want more than just the last 6 or 7 being heavily story-based. I'm sure you can combine action with that too.

7/10

Characters

Not bad, but the fact that there are MANY characters that play at least a decent role means the characters are shown rarely and far in between among their appearances (except for Kuga, Mai, and Mikoto). This leaves a general distaste at a lack of development overall, although they did seem to try. I'll check out the manga to see if things are different there.

8/10

Originality

Prelim: Sure. It's like mecha-ish but not really. It's got flying people and some dog robot thing...and stuff like that. I like how this series isn't just all about fighting.

Now: The lack of mecha threw my original thoughts out the door. The idea of the "child" was pretty cool, so I give it brownie points.

8/10

Enjoyment

Sure. I'm alright with the series right now. Not much beef with it nor any affinity toward it. But out of all the fall anime so far that I've seen, this is probably one of the best.

9/10

Overall
40/50 or 8.0

Not that bad of a series, and it's quite popular among the anime watchers. I wouldn't doubt that it would come here some time soon.

- Kenny C., Element of WIND

The Elite Ygseto
01-04-2005, 02:02 AM
I've wacthed the first 2 fansubs of it, and enjoyed it very much.

BW Kenny do you read the Anime Sorce Manga?

Manga review;

Title: Addicted to Curry
Read: Volume 1
Rating: 13+ Nudity is in the manga, so just a heads up for those who don't want their virgin eyes soiled (or those who do want to).
Genre: Cooking

Here's a qoute from one website desribing it.

"Addicted to Curry comes from a long line of Cooking Manga, including Yumeiro Cooking, Shouta No Sushi, Yakitake Japan!, and many others. What sets this manga apart is ecchi humor and that it focuses on Curry. Makito Koenji is a curry chef with a mysterious past who helps Yui Sonezaki keep her father's curry restaurant, Ganesha, open through a lack of customers, a hostile takeover attempt by a huge company, and many other challenges. Get addicted... to Curry.:

Now it's in Surround Sound or something. XD

79-57-80, nuff said.

Graphics:

Clean. Very simlar to One Piece. Its a tad comical looking, while retaing the more normal looks.

8/10, nothing to great, but not bad.

The manga style is more the type that's stereotypical of this type of manga overall (aka kawaii comedy). Generally speaking, it's good stuff.

9/10

Plot:

The plot is kinda out there. A friend of a girls's (Yui) father comes and brings back a out of business curry house. The Guy was friends with Yui's father years ago, and he came to returna favor. When he got there You's Father had gone to india to hone his curry making skills.

This Guy sees the dying restarunt, and brings it back. I don't want to continue bucause i suck at this and i don't want to ruin the story.

8/10 for Originality.

What he said, except the guy's name is Makito. And also the curry house was "sold" already. Simply speaking, it's another Yakitate spin-off plot. And thus:

7/10

Charaters:

All the charaters are different and interesting. The devolpment is ok, but its also good. (that doesn't make to much sence does it? :P) Yui is the average Manga girl, with the supermodel body. While the guys are 'normal'.

8/10

Yui's measurements above. Aside from that, the characters basically revolve around Makito, Yui, and some of the regulars at the Curry house. The diversity of the main characters is decent (well speaking solely of our hero, heroine, and the regulars). The one thing that sets this manga apart from the rest: Makito's personality...go hentai-master...which I noticed is different (yes, the guy is actaully doing the stuff, not the "accidental" types like everyone else. XD).

8/10

Originality

Very, very orginal. Come on its a story about cooking Curry.

10/10

Yakitate spin-off (okay it's apparently the original XD)...WITH CURRY! Wow it's sounding like Yakitate Gohan (TM) or something. For somene to actaully try something like this makes this a default 9/10. It didn't get 10 because there aren't as many curry battles, which are always interesting. ;)

Enjoyment:

Very much so. As a cool little extra it comes with the fetured curry recipie. Its funny, and it has alot of unquie stuff in it.

9/10

Okay me being the fan of the "cute supermodel anime chick" thing, having one has won approximately 20% of the battle. The stupidity of the anime that rival that of Yakitate, an additional 20%. Fan service +10%. Curry is good, so that's an additonal 40%.

9/10

Overall:
43/50
Its cool and you should check it out at http://yanime.animeneko.net/curry/

41/50 = 8.2
Nice manga to play around with. I'll be reading this while waiting for releases on Yakitate/Pretty Face/NHK/School Rumble/etc. Which means that it'll be sticking around for a long time. ;)

btw, I think the first issue of this was in 2001 (compared to Yakitate Japan @ 2002), so me saying it's a spin off...well it's more like the original. XD

Besides, 79-57-80. XD

- Kenny "Makito is my hero" C.

Kenny_C.002
03-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Anime: School Rumble
Watched: Ep 20, ongoing fall anime
ESRP rating: Everyone to Teen (13+)
Genre: Comedy
This series is another sunrise series and is currently airing in Japan. Rumours are that the series is licensed already...or the company that's doing School Rumble is about to sue the fansubbers for subbing it and distributing it (oh noes, stay alive Wannabe!). O_O

School Rumble:
The life of an idiot. Yup it's true! :D

Graphics

As you guys have known, my sig was predominantly School Rumble based. Last time it was Tenma (main character) looking cute, this time it's some other girl looking cute. XD

The graphical representation of this anime is top-notch with very little crappy animators working on this one (w00t!) I personally thought the drawings of the anime mirrored the manga fairly well, and Eri still looks cool (or hot, whichever you want).

9/10

Plot

It's about the everyday life of Tenma and the gang! Of course, we throw in her stupidity, kawaiiness, weird fetish for a boring guy, ignorance to practically everything, and a beautiful little sister who looks more like the older sister. Oh did I mention she was 3 friends of pretty much each style? Of course, delinquents and stuff are there too.

7/10

Characters

This is one of the first manga to have such a dramatic atmosphere with the characters that I have actually started to like one character whom I didn't like at the beginning (Eri). Good stuff there. :)

I also like how a good number of characters aren't as 1-D.

9/10

Originality

As a comedy it's very good, as the situations have become more unorthodox in comparison to the regular slapstick (it's slapstick in itself tho). It also tries to have other parts of the anime be actually serious (ones that feature Tenma's sister usually), which is also unheard of in comedies.

10/10

Enjoyment

It's like I'm watching train wrecks over and over and over again! :D And by that I also mean there are *some* plot movements in almost every episode, which is pretty cool. The whole "3 episodes an episode" thing was kinda stupid funny. XD

10/10

Overall
45/50 or 9.0

A very good series and yet it still can't take on the big guns that I've rated. I should really go rate some crap some time just to round things off huh. lol

- Kenny C., like totally

to ygseto: I read a lot of manga yes, but I've slowed down on it since it's tough to find them nowadays. I don't really check anime-source that much either, but I do check out some of the individual subbers such as Yanime and Akatsuki.

Kenny_C.002
03-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Anime: Samurai Champloo
Watched: Ep 26, complete series
ESRP rating: Teen (13+) to Mature (17+)

Yo, sharp like an edge of the samurai sword
the metal blade cuts through flesh and bone
though my mind's at peace, the world out of order
lessening the heat, life gets colder.

*Gets dragged out from the Kareoke stand*

Graphics

Possibly some of the best graphics made in a long time. The animation is smooth through the battles, and the overall style of the series. Somehow it manages to look cool and "cute" (the girl) at the same time. Sometimes there are some random bad scenes,but those tend to be rare (or intentional).

10/10

Plot

Fuu (she's the cute girl!) is an orphan who by chance met with Mugen and Jin, two very powerful samurai with completely contrasting styles. Thus somehow Fuu got both of these men to join her in her quest to find the samurai who smells like sunflowers.

Generally speaking, half the episodes felt like fillers to me. Taking that aside, the plot isn't anything all that interesting and certainly doesn't pick up until very late in the series (well and the first few eps).

7/10

Characters

Our 3 main characters make up the cast pretty much. Jin is the calm and cool samurai, with a style that goes with it. Mugen is the instinc-based samurai. Fuu is the girl who holds this unlikely party together. Generally speaking this series has very good development early on, but lacked it by the end.

7/10

Originality

Hip Hop + Feudal Japan. 'Nuff said.

10/10

Enjoyment

It's ridiculous how much I enjoyed the series. The whole thing touched on many unrelated parts, throwing parodies, action, and hip hop all into a single package, creating a fusion that's unlike any other. The experience is so distinctive that it's got enjoyment in the bag.

10/10

Overall
44/50 or 8.8

It's a very strong series with a decent fanbase, with a possibility of coming here (edit: it came here). I'm not sure how all the hip hop are going to change, and certainly the violence would be toned down to the "Teen" range, which would be the target audience.

- Kenmyster, move over Maestro. XD

Kenny_C.002
03-28-2005, 02:10 AM
2 times the reviews!

Manga review;

Title: Yakitate Japan!
Read: All of the first and second arc, beginning of third (Volume 14)
Rating: General Audience
Genre: Cooking

Go go Japan rangers! Something about rice and bread tasting nice and other things! This has nothing to do with the series itself.

Graphics:

Decent graphics with nice frame-by-frames. Somehow the females remind me of Ichigo's female leads. *drool* XD Anyway, the graphics are far from normal, if you take into account of the men with Afros and other ridiculous characters. Big points!

9/10

Plot:

The story is about a boy trying to be the best Japan maker in the world. What is Japan? It's Ja-pan! Ja-BREAD! OH MY GOSH THE PUN!!!! THE PUN!!!! Anyway, he wanted to make bread that tastes better than rice, and called it Japan. He would enter this one big bread company so he can attain his full potential to create the best Japan.

Along the plot he meets friends and enemies alike, but will Azuma succeed? This plot is so crappy that you have to give it a 9. lol

9/10

Charaters:

Somehow the characters feel stereotypical in some ways, and not deviate from the stupidity or seriousness or whatever.

7/10

Originality

Pfft. Curry has nothing on Japan, the breakfast of...bakers?

10/10

Enjoyment:

Okay the show's educational without being boring, I've seen at least 2 recipes (with ones involving making breadfrom RICE COOKERS). The humour is seemlessly incorporated with the sheer "wtf? it's bread.". Big points! Big points!

I personally thought the parody omake "Yakitate GOHAN!" to be genius. lol

10/10

Overall:
45/50 or 9.0

W00! Go bread-making! I can't believe this is not Japan (pun fully intended)! XD

- Kenny C. --> I made Japan with a rice cooker! XD

Kenny_C.002
05-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Anime: .hack//sign
Watched: Ep 26, complete series plus extra episode (27)
ESRP rating: Everyone to Teen
Genre: ??????

This review is from the POV of a viewer who's viewed this for the first time without any sort of background knowloedge of the series nor have played any of the games/seen the DVDs/nothing.

Graphics

The character designs are very welldone, but there is one major problem: it is inconsistent. There are way too many times when you can visibly see differences in which the differences are too apparent...and it feels horrible to see two completely different styles being shown in an anime where there should be one single solid style...

6/10

Plot

The plot deals with themes such as hope, false hope, despair, secrets, ethics, and morality. The plot used was very well done and felt very polished right up to the near-end...where everything fell apart. Way too many loose ends were left in the end, more than that of Gundam Seed. And I do know that there are some things that should not be explained in the series and I discounted those as things that were meant to be loose ends...and I counted the fact that there is a sequel (or going to be one), but even at that there seems like there are too many loose ends even at that.

Yup, the ending was rushed heavily and I did not like it one bit. As one may say, if the ending sucked, it doesn't matter how good the progress toward the ending is...the ending ruined the progress as well.

7/10

Characters

Aside from the dozen supporting cast most of the characters are lively and take their respective roles in the series quite well up to the end.

9/10

Originality

It's very original to see an anime actually about a video game.

10/10

Enjoyment

The ending ruined everything. It was highly enjoyable with the music fitting and amplifying the mood and the atmosphere for the most part. The plot was solid and the graphical differences were but small termites in the mount of gold. Who would have thought the ending made the series feel empty and unpolished? I'm sorry, it was a very good ride, but hitting a brick wall after a very good ride amplified the crappiness and made the series MUCH less enjoyable.

5/10

Overall
37/50 or 7.4

i'm hesitating with this score, since I don't feel like I enjoyed the series very much, and I certainly don't understand why there is such a large fanbase for it. Sure the plot was good up until the end, and it was a nice original series for a change, but did they have to ruin an otherwise excellent series? Sheesh this thing could have made it at least to an 8.0 with ease. Why isn't it?

- Kenny C.

Jet
05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
You only watched it now??? o_O

lol, nvm, time 4 me to do another one

Anime: Midori no Hibi (a.k.a. Midori Days)
Watched: all, up to 13... or was it 14...
ESRP rating: PG-13... slight nudity in 4 to 5 episodes
Genre: Romance-Comedy

Midori Days is your typical teen show, where Seiji Sawamura, a rough, tough-acting guy in high school tries to find a girlfriend Though he's popular for his "Demon's Right Hand" and in fighting... through girls though, he's squat; most of the girls are terrified of her, in fact, he's the one being beaten. One thing he doesn't know, there's 1 girl who likes him... make that loves him; Midori. Midori though, is too shy to reveal her feelings, and Seiji didn't even know her. After Seiji's 20th attempt to have a girlfriend, and failed, Seiji got depressed. He says he's doomed to have only his right hand for a girlfriend. The next morning, just he woke up... he was right; his famous demon's right hand is now a female right hand; his right hand transformed into a doll-sized Midori. Midori confesses her love for Seiji, but Seiji doesn't take her seriously. The 2 then go through Seiji's life, trying to hide the secret of the transformation.

Graphics

The characters are nicely done, vivid colors, very nice backgrounds, nuff' said

9/10

Plot

There is kind of no plot, just trying to go through Seiji's life trying to conceal the fact that Seiji became sort of a softie because of Midori. As the story goes, one by one, close people (and 1 very insane puppet addict) find out about their secret. They promise to keep it a secret, etc etc. The ending is very nice though, very emotional and touching.

7.5/10
ending 10/10

Characters

A lot of funny likeable characters; from Seiji, the very kawaii Midori, Seiji's bad-@$$ gang-leading sister, the underaged Shiori who also like Seiji, but in a little girl crush/obsession kind of way, even the very insane puppet addict Shuichi is okay. S'all good.

10/10

Originality

Well you don't see any other anime with a high school punk with a girl in their right hand... =P

10/10

Enjoyment

Very enjoyable, very cute situations, and at times you acually feel sorry for both Seiji and Midori

9/10

Overall

9.1/10 or 45.5/50

It's kawaii, it's emotional, it's kawaii, it's funny, it's kawaii, and it's sentimental. Did I mention it's very kawaii? ^^ XD

- Jet W.

Kenny_C.002
05-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Yeah actually. It was sitting amongst my DVDs for subbed anime for a while before I decided to watch it. It's like Star Ocean EX, still haven't watched it (along with Azumanga Daioh).

Title: Midori No Hibi
Read: All 8 volumes
Rating: Automatic Older Teen'd! (we've got some ecchi and some freaky Lucy hentai action YEA!)
Genre: romantic comedy

And this is all because Jet did it on the anime. I'd swear I probably rated this already too...

Graphics:

It's light-hearted and the graphics do not disappoint...probably better than that of its anime counterpart. Either way, the characters are lively drawn with little to complain about (except maybe if you're a hentai or something).

9/10

Plot:

What Jet said, except throw in some alternate pathways to the end and a couple extra characters that make a difference in the manga.

7/10

Charaters:

Lucy = best in manga. Aside from that, the characters stay true to themselves.

7/10

Originality

Right hand as girlfriend....been there, done that.

6/10

Enjoyment:

I really liked this series itself, if not just attracted to Lucy's appearance. Either way, the manga stays true to itself and performs admirably. The Lucy hentai by the end of the series was "icing" on the cake. XD

10/10

Overall:
39/50 or 7.8

Yay! With everything else dragging it down, the most important factor, enjoyment, earned full marks. So although it may be cliche, the characters may not be the best around, it's still a decent manga to pick up for a spin, with its light-heartedness (well until the end anyway).

IMO the manga is better than the anime, if not simply for the fact that Lucy's in the manga and not in the anime. Still, it's a strong manga that demands attention (and licensing...which it already is licensed).

- Kenny "The Lucy Fan" C.

Kenny_C.002
11-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Anime: Chrno Crusade (yes, it's spelt Chrno)
Watched: All 24 eps.
Genre: Drama/Action

Well the American version I heard does spell Chrono Crusade, not that it matters.

Graphics

The character designs are good, and also the consistency is quite high. Also, the graphics also seem to match with the atmosphere of the series during the right periods. All in all, a strong entry.

8/10

Plot

The series bases itself with the Catholic prophecies (if I recall, it's the same 3 prophecies). Anyway, the plot is about a soldier for the church named Rosette Christopher, and her partner (and a demon) Chrno. They are then launched into a battle against the past, present, and darkness itself.

The story launches itself out to have a darker and darker atmosphere as the series prgresses. Does the ending deal with sadness or not? Only the preceiver will know.

9/10

Characters

Rosette, Chrnos, and Azumaria show dynamic personalities, and the supporting cast also shows some livelyhood.

9/10

Originality

It's probably not the first series to deal with the prophecies, and also the idea of demon hunting was fairly overdone. One huge problem was the filler episodes in the middle, though.

8/10

Enjoyment

The ending was GOOD, and combined with a good start, made it a good series to go with. Sadly, the series could still have gotten into the series without the whole DBZ crap.

7/10

Overall
41/50 or 8.2

Strong series. I like it a lot and felt some emotional attachment to the series at the end. I rode with the wave. Not sure, however, of I feel at the end of the series, unfortunately. Oh, you know the actual name of the series does mean something (I knew by the end anyway).

- Kenny C.

Kenny_C.002
12-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Anime: Read or Die OVA
Watched: All 3 eps

Yes it's licensed. No the TV series is not licensed. Nothere aren't that many torrents on the TV series. No, the TV series doesn't really have too much to do with Read or Die except the fact that the TV series is the "sequel".

Graphics

Yomiko-chan is kawaii!!!! Okay back to the actual rating, the animation has good flow and is just plain decent. Yeah sometimes the styling does get onto my nerves at times. But IMO it's still good enough animation. No complaints.

7/10

Plot

The story is about Yomiko Readman, a secret agent working for the British Library (and she's a substitute teacher :D). Her alias is "The Paper". She basically goes around doing missions for the British Library, and she's stylin' with that suitcase and her awesome paper powers (it sounds cheesy, but it's cooler than that).

This OVA is just a single mission (essentially).

8/10

Characters

Whatever. 3 Episodes really can't do much in terms of character development. Joker's cool tho, and same with The Paper. So I'll just give an 8 and move on.

8/10

Originality

Paper power is extremely cool. Aside from that, the plot for this OVA is really cool also.

10/10

Enjoyment

Fun, and action filled. Man, Yomiko's such a wussie, but what the heck she's cool nonetheless.

9/10

Overall
42/50 or 8.4

Coolest cellphone ever. Period. And I fear papercuts now. XD

- Kenny "Reading Rampage" C.

Mitsuko Souma
01-06-2006, 03:17 AM
I read a manga, so :p!

Title: Battle Royale
Rating: 18+
Genre: Action/Suspense/Horror

Graphics:

Absolutely stunning. Tears, hair, face, they all look almost REAL! Even the murders.

10/10

Plot:

In Japan, there is a game show called The Program. A randomly picked 9th grade class is sent to an island, where they compete in a fight to the death. The last living person wins. But all 42 of these teens are fitted with collars. If there is not one death every 24 hours, the collars explode and kill all the remaining. Very gruesome and VERY mature.

9/10

Charaters:

All the characters are extremely real. Cannot become too attached, though, as he/she may die.

8/10

Originality:

Survivor meets Lord of the Flies.

9/10

Enjoyment:

Not for the immature. But a suspenseful none the less.

10/10

Overall:
46/50 or 92%

Kenny_C.002
01-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Anime: Read or Die TV Series (ROD the TV)
Watched: All 26 eps

Okay, it's the sequel to the OVA. Still coolio magnifico.

Graphics

Yomiko-chan is kawaii!!!! I'm going to start every paragraph with that...or not. Anyway, the TV series inherited the same art style and gets a little more crisp at certain times, and less crisp at other times, balancing out into the same score as the OVA.

7/10

Plot

The story is about the three paper sisters Michelle, Maggie, and Anita. They run a detective agency in Hong Kong, and just got their lastest assignment: to guard one of their (they as in Michelle and Maggie) favourite authors,
Sumiregawa Nenene. And thus their story begins.

The plot in itself is fairly interesting, and is enough to keep the action going (more like connecting the different action sequences). I recommend you watch the OVA FIRST to get more background information about the series first.

9/10

Characters

All of the main characters show a dynamic personality that seems to be fairly realisitc to a certain point. Nothing really too much in that part, tho. I'd have to admit that the villain's VERY well done, a near-perfect portrait of a white (the colour white as referred to by magic: the gathering) villain.

9/10

Originality

With the paper thing already no original anymore, they made it more original by giving you more powers to toy with! Just seeing the different incarnations of these abilities make it worthwhile to watch.

10/10

Enjoyment

Fun times, fun times. I'd have to say that ROD the TV is an improvement to the previous OVA, but Yomiko gets much less screen time. :( Oh well, I get to oogle over Michelle instead then. XD

On a serious note, the action was thoroughly enjoyable, and the touching moments in the series were also ridiculously cheesy. Itworked out fine for the series nonetheless. :)

9/10

Overall
44/50 or 8.8

And the paperuts show that ROD the TV JUST missed the fabled 9.0 mark. seriously, it's a good show still, and definitely a good bang for the anime DVD buck.

- Kenny "Lyrical Rampage" C.

Mitsuko Souma
01-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Title: Fruits Basket
Rating: All ages
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Graphics:

Cute, average.

7.5/10

Plot:

Complicated. Too long to write.

8.5/10

Charaters:

Adorable, cute, basic.

8/10

Originality:

Not much. Like a lot of plots from various things all smushed together.

5/10

Enjoyment:

Immature, but cute. I liked it.

10/10

Overall:
39/50 or 78%

C+. I've seen better.

Kenny_C.002
04-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Anime: Shuffle
Watched: all 24 Episodes
ESRP rating: R-15 (yes people, it's rated R for the shower scenes, and more than just "fan service")
Genre: Harem/Comedy --> Romance Drama

Hey look, they even have one of those discretionary statements at the beginning of the episodes :D

H-game --> anime series. Part of the wave of anime series derived from H-games, Shuffle is one that came from Navel (they're doing Soul Link right now, actually).

Graphics

The graphics of Shuffle is really good, and most of the time, it's got a really good graphics. There are times when the series looked terrible, though. Still, there is very good production value. The marks on this is...well above average.

8/10

Plot

lol H-game = harem.

In a world where the route to Heaven and the Demon worlds are open, peace managed to settle upon itself.

Rin and Kaede live in a house in the suburbs. All of a sudden, 8 neighbours moved away. What's going on?

They learn that two new classmates are going to be transferred to their class: the daughters of God, and the Demon King! And all of the sudden, those two daughters (Shia, God's daughter, and Nerine, the Demon King's daughter) proclaim that they will MARRY Rin! What's going on?

The plot itself works very well, and gets VERY GOOD afterwards, and deserves its 10 rating.

10/10

Characters

The fact that all 6 main characters are well developed to a point much greater than that of many series, it's almost ridiculous. The dynamics of each character brings life into the series, and the fact that generally the episodes deal with just 1 of the girls at a time, you get a much better development than having all of them show up every time.

Each girl has her own story, and the stories generally work very well in the storyline, and the changes the stories apply onto the overall plot is exciting. The question of why all of the girls have such dark stories...well it just had to be like that (well some aren't as dark as others, I guess. The second last story.

Minor characters aren't usually very good, but I don't care.

10/10

Originality

Not original for the most part. It's funny how the three worlds can collide without friction. Also, the fact that everything's been mixed together into a different feel than most series, it still gets a 7 for taking cliche crap and putting it all together well.

7/10

Enjoyment

The opening Ep title tells you the mood of that particular episode (arrows are in the lighter eps, anything else, it's heavy). This is also the same with the mid-ep sequence (the kitties for the light eps, and the girls on the heavy eps).

By the end of the series, I was at the OMFGWTFBBQAGHAWEIDSFBADWAERIO stage. This is how gripping it got. There is usually a switch about between the lighter and heavier episodes, which is a good thing (since it would get wayyyy too crazy if they keep going with that...). In my books, it was comparable to the FMA series' super gripping style.

The fan service/more than just fan service PALES IN COMPARISON to the plot.

11/10

Overall
46/50 or 9.2

It's a rollercoaster ride that I liked for sure. If it takes an H-game to derive a series like this, WE NEED MORE H-GAMES. This is also making me WANT to see what more Navel can offer after this. *looks*

I'm actually writing this while watching the last episode. Just saying, the gripping feel of this series is so ridiculous, that I went on a Shuffle Binge, and this year, the only other binge was from FMA. Wow.

- Kenny C., The Asa fan.

Kenny_C.002
04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Anime: Shakugan no Shana
Watched: all of it
ESRP rating: teen
Genre: Drama/Fantasy/not horror

For your information, Shana is currently Japan's #1 loli. -.-

Graphics

Loli! I mean, of course, aside from the extremely cute characters to the extremely supermodel women and maids, the graphics aren't anything to scream about. Japan's #1 loli, so might as well pass it a decent mark at least.

8/10

Plot

Based off the NOVEL series under the same name, the concept is that there a demons that steal "existance" from people, destroying them in the process. When the existance of a person is gone, all memories, data, etc. of that person disappear too, and therefore, remain forgotten.

The counter to those demons are the Flame Haze, sworn to destroy those demons. They even have a fallback mechanism, called "torches". By using existance from people, they can create temporary copies of the person with their existance taken, and essentially "soften the blow" if they happen to be too late.

Sekai Yuichi, one day, saw a demon drinking existance from people, and thus he is thrust into the world of the Flame Haze, where he meets with "Flame-haired Red Eyes Hunter", a Flame Haze. He then realized thathe also was a torch...

The plot is well doneon the concept part, but failed in the execution. I give it an 8.

8/10

Characters

Not bad, but the characters seem a little bland at times. I don't particularly like how they handled a number of the characters, and I don't really think the loli look and personality on the characters fit with the original theme very much, still.

7/10

Originality

Yes, the existance concept is new, and completely original, and therefore gets 10.

10/10

Enjoyment

No doubt I enjoyed the series. However, it can be more, and really the 1st ep was very well done, with only really the near end being well done also. So take your pick. I stuck with it, and it was still pretty good nonetheless.

8/10

Overall
44/50 or 8.8

It's definitely not bad as a series. The plus on originality pulledits marks up, and alsothe defining beginning and near-ending placed an otherwise so-so series above the others. and the #1 loli in Japan thing had a beneficial effect somewhere. ;)

- Kenny C., Shana-tan? o_O

Kenny_C.002
05-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Aria the Animation and Aria the Natural
Watched: all 13 of the first, I'm pretty much up to date for the aria the natural
ESRP rating: Everyone
Genre: Slice of Life

I'm too lazy to do a full review, but since it's good, I might as well at least mention it. It's one of those "slice of life" anime, with a bunch of pretty anime girls and stuff. Generally speaking, it's essentially just a relaxation series where plot really doesn't exist all that much. The system on Aria's setting, the city Neo Venezia on the planet Aqua (and Earth is referred to as "Man-Home"), is actually relatively elaborate, but it makes a good setting for the series.

So anyway, it's about Akari wanting to be the best Undine (Female rowboater who's also a tour guide, the setting looks suspiciously like a place on earth, if you know what I mean ;)) in Aqua (okay, I DID say it has no plot, but this IS the pathetic attempt at plot that chains the filler episodes together), and she meets many friends and the like. So why the name Aria? Well, she works in Aria COMPANY. :P

Anyway, great series. It's relaxing and very cute. I watch this series to lax out, as there's not major heavy plot (like FMA), no pathetic attempts at heavy plots (like most anime), no comedy (almost, but it's no School Rumble), just "slice of life".

8/10

Jet
06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Anime: Makai Senki Disgaea
Watched: 10/12?
ESRP rating: Erm... teen I guess
Genre: Comedy/Fantasy/Adventurer thing

Well I' was so damn happy when I heard that Disgaea was going to have an Animé... then I watched it...

Graphics

Well the unique Disgaea look is still there, and damn good seriously... though of course there's the point of...

"Boing-y chests"

1st episode, there's the boing factor already from Jennifer... well kinda unecessary to zoom in I think, but well it does somewhat fit in the storyline. There are a few instances where the artists seem like lazy to do full details on the characters, and I caught this error they made where at one point Etna was not wearing any gloves... but meh... overall still damn good.

9/10

Plot

Based from the game... well the game's plot:

Laharl, a demon, woke up after 2 years of slumber. He then finds out that his dad; the netherworld overlord, died 2 years ago; and through such a pathetic way too: choked on a dark steamed bun. So together with Etna; his "loyal" vassal, whose also a demon, Etna's Prinnies; humans taken in the form of penguin like creatures in order to make up for their sins, and Flonne; a so called angel that was supposed to assassinate Laharl's dad, Laharl then claims to be the rightful heir to be the next overlord, and takes on any challengers. One of these challengers who persitently bug Laharl is Vyers; or as his new name declared by Laharl; "Mid-Boss". Mid-boss in reality has some relation to Laharl...

Along the way, they meet up with Gordon; Human, Jennifer; also Human... busty one in fact, and Thursday; a robot made by Jennifer. They are Defenders of the Earth Alliance. They then go to the netherworld seek out any evil demons that threaten the Earth. Unknowingly, Jennifer's "dad" Carter (he just adopted her), who is the leader of the Defenders of the Earth Alliance; was secretly planning to take over the Netherworld "in order to save humanity; more space for humanity since Earth is overpopulated". Gordon and his pals team up with Laharl with this plot; Gordon and Jeniffer realized that demons have their own lives like humans as well, etc etc. Along the way Gordon meets up with his rival Kurtis; a loyal soldier of Carter. The 2 have their fight, blah blah, in the end Kurtis save Jeniffer from total mind control, and he "dies". Gordon swears revenge, etc, and they take on Carter. Surprisingly though angels have come to help Carter. They defeat the angels, and Carter makes his escape back to Earth. Laharl then plans on going to Heaven to figure out what's really going on.

Laharl goes to heaven finds out; with the help of his comrades, including Kurtis; who is now a Prinny, beats up the Vulcanus; an angel that looks like a demon, and in the end faces Seraph Lamington; a highly respected angel. Flonne then sacrifices herself to prevent Laharl from killing Seraph Lamington, and Laharl then regrets on what he's done, and is in despair. Lamington then shows that Flonne is reborn, but as a Fallen Angel now. So blah blah, "happily ever after".

THAT'S the NORMAL plot of the game... now for the differences of the show: (SPOILERS)

1) Etna accidentally wakes up Laharl; she was actually trying to kill her in the game. In the show, Flonne tries to kill the person inside the casket; which was actually Laharl, then Laharl wakes up.

2) Hogmeisser; oober rich demon, became a vassal of Laharl in the game. In the show, he was banished, but not killed.

3) Maderas was not GAY in the game.

4) Sardia; the Demon Slayer <actually a Rune Knight>, had no real impact in the game. In the show she did.

5) Gordon & friends only showed up somewhat in the middle of the game... in the show, they already showed up at episode one

6) At the game, Laharl stays at his castle, and there are portals to travel around. In the show, he starts of at some distant cemetary, then goes on an adventure to go to his castle.

that's enough for now

few flaws in the show:
- Sardia becomes Laharl's servant, swears revenge, and is asked by Laharl to lead the way to the person that offered the reward for his head... but Sardia does not make any other appearance on the other episodes... I think <there was a Rune Knight, but no name was mentioned, hair and style of talking was different>
- In episodes 1 and 2, there were captions similar in the game when a character makes an attack; that yellow rectangle thing that comes out from the top. Episodes 3-10, I haven't seen any at all.
- Showing the promo trailer; where there's a fight with Mid-boss and Laharl with all that hype as well... Well... there's NONE... Laharl doesn't even have a real fight with anyone... only 1 swing of his sword or demon magic, boom...
- The BOINGNESS wasn't really necessary... seriously...
- Several character cameos of regular characters in the show; such as warriors, samurai, etc... but no real impact

So... plot was seriously rushed; seeing that it only has 12 episodes... and it's nothing serious... the only seriousness starts at episode 9... but still majority of the show still had funny moments in... and see flaws. I see there are a few twists and they're nice but still a bit disappointed really

7/10

Characters

Laharl - Cruel, mean, power hungry; shows honor RARELY, a user
Etna - Sly, decietful, "sultry"
Flonne - Love-maniac, nuff' said
Gordon - Dedicated, full of zeal
Jennifer - Can't really say... erm... caring I guess.

typical, yet funny

8/10

Originality

Alas, just a remake of the game. A few edits, but that's about it.

6/10

Enjoyment

Well I laugh at times, yet I can't shake of those flaws and such... But I am disappointed that there is no DAMN GOOD CG fight between Laharl and Mid-boss... in fact... ANYONE...

7.5/10

Overall
36.5/50

Not bad, though sadly, not that good. I like the funny parts, yeah... and Laharl, Etna and Flonne's characters are seriously good. though DAMN, NO CG FIGHTS T_T

- Jet "Krichevskoy" Williams

theEND
06-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Anime: D.N. Angel
Watched: All 26 episodes
ESRP Rating: Not really something you can call a teen's show, but then again it does show figure's that appeal above the charts. Everyone

One of my favorites and I do believe others too.

Quality of the drawings
D.N. Angel was pretty much made in the 2000-2002s. That time had good graphics, but D.N. Angel's excelled above average in that time....at least by a bit.

8/10

Plot

Daisuke Niwa, a 14 year old student in 8th grade had a hard time once when he was thinking of the girl he likes. After that, he changed into some guy with long purple hair. It turns out that Niwa males at age 14 can turn into the master phantom thief, Dark Mousy. It happens to all of the Niwa bloodline males and they all seem to look the same.
Daisuke then has a respondsibility of transforming into Dark so he can steal cursed works of art.

Something you won't see everyday. But the anime is very satisfying.

9/10

Characters

The characters are pretty much perfected. Although there may be only a few going from 5-12, their personalities fit perfectly as what categories they belong it. Ranging from everyday friends to teachers. All the characters are used alot.

10/10

Originality

D.N. Angel is a very romantic comedy. You will see scenes of girls liking guys, guys liking girls, and all in between.

9/10

Enjoyment

I definitely loved this anime. It was something new for once. There were hardly any fillers and they stayed mostly to the main idea.

10/10

Overall
47/50

A perfect anime for those who like the idea of innovation. Even though it was good, there was only 26 episodes. Watching 1 would make you want to watch more. The anime also used a handful of ideas, but the most common ones for episodes were left out. If only they made more episodes with other themes in each ones.

Kenny_C.002
06-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Anime: Fate/Stay Night
Watched: 24 eps
Genre: Action/Drama

in a world not so distant from North America, comes an epic series serived from an H-game. Type Moon proudly presents: Fate/Stay Night. (Does that mean Fate/Hallow Ataraxia is gonna come out?)

Graphics

Nothing much to see. It's the same darn thing. Only difference is that the character designs themselves are nicely done (esp. Saber herself). They kinda needed the character designs to be good, since Type Moon has been revered for that, and PLOT in a game (more on the plot later).

8/10

Plot

The holy grail war. A war between 7 magicians to determine who can have the prize, the wish granting holy grail. Their weapons, anything they wish, and an additional boon to this is the ability to use servants, fighting spirits who are necessary for gaining the holy grail (i.e. only 1 team of master and servant can remain standing).

Simple plot, in a way. Our plot also involves Shiro - a man who didn't even know he was a magician - getting trapped in this war and trying to find a way out.

Type Moon may be known for plot, and the game might actually have plot (I mean, multiple paths and endings are present in the game), but the problem is that there really isn't any major plot in this series. Sure it's like you go into battle here and battle there, etc. It still lacks the essence of plot found in the more superior Type Moon series, Shingetsutan Tsukihime (2003).

6/10

Characters

Shiro is an idiot. And I still have no idea how he, dispite being an idiot, is an incompotent master, and thinks he's a defender of justice (and also superman), can exhibit absolutely no change in personality from start to end in the series.

The rest of the characters seem less bland and stupid, but either way they weren't exactly dynamic either (with the exception of Saber).

5/10

Originality

Holy grail war huh. Ah whatever. The plot's pretty stupid, and really the twist at the end of the series is the only thing going for it.

8/10

Enjoyment

The only thing that kept this series alive is Saber. Heck the only thing I cared about when watching the series is Saber. So all in all, the enjoyment factor here is entirely riding on the shoulder of Saber.

8/10

Overall
35/50 or 7.0

They left the reasoning for Fate/Hallow Ataraxia in tact, so we might be getting that in the future. However, one must note that this series is NOT what it's hyped up to be. It is NO Tsukihime, and Type Moon needs a less annoying voice actor for Shiro (or just better script wiritng for Shiro. Or both). I guess it's okay to be bland when you're playing as Shiro, but when you're observing him, a bland character like that really hurts the series.

- Kenny C.

Jet
07-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Anime: Kyou Kara Maou!
Watched: I dunno, 15+ I guess, out of 70+...
Genre: Adevnture/Comedy/Fantasy/Shoujo

From Animenewsnetwork:
Yuri Shibuya was living a pretty normal life. That changed the day he was dunked into a toilet after an attempt to save a classmate from a gang of bullies. Instead of just getting a good soaking, he's pulled in. The next thing he knows, he's in a world that vaguely resembles medieval Europe. If that's not odd enough, he's told that he is to be the next Maoh, just because he has black hair and black eyes. The Maoh is the King of the Mazoku, who are coexisting not-so-peacefully with the humans in this world. Much to his subject's dismay, he's totally different from the rulers they're accustomed to. He's kind, considerate, a believer in justice, and not willing to use violence to solve conflicts. Not exactly someone they want running a country on the very brink of war. Now, Yuri has to deal with trying to become a good Maoh, while at the same time attempting to adapt to this land's customs and culture, all in a world where the tension between the humans and Mazoku is reaching its peak.

Notes: Several yaoi-ish moments, but it's shown in TV, no real indecent exposure; unless you consider a mom holding her son's g-string indecent.

Graphics

Nice, decent compared to other shoujo shows... well yeah, thing is 90% of the show's men are "hot"... animation is sleek too, the magical blast thingies are looking good too.

8.5/10

Plot

A guy gets sucked in a toilet... then becomes demon king... then at times gets sucked back to the human world... and gets sucked back in through water. As time passes by he eventually accepts the fact that he is Demon king, and eventually develops powers, etc. He then tries to be a good king, and at the same time try to be diplomatic about the human-demon war.

Well, it's different yeah... not thatoriginal (innocent guy trying not to fight), but it's still good. Thing is, yeah... several yaoi-ish moments... how?

http://x0b.xanga.com/943b5a43c463040772153/b27792458.jpg

that's a GUY... nuff' said.

8/10

Characters

Yuri - main character, baseball player, innocent, that "nice guy" look... somewhat similar to Kira (G.Seed) & Keitaro (L.Hina)

Conrad - Godfather of Yuri; acts as an elder brother to Yuri; will die for him even. 1 of Yuri's personal guards...

Wolfram - That guy you see in the pic I placed... the "accidental fiancé" of Yuri... YOU HEARD ME... Yuri's fiancé... a fiery fighter and spellcaster as well.

Günter - long purple haired guy; the "most beautiful guy" there so they say. Can't stand being away from Yuri as well. A powerful magician.

Gwendal - somewhat snobbish/strict/grumpy guy. Likes knitting and cute things... hates being the guinea pig of Anissina; a gorgeous "genius" woman with crazy inventions

others include a flirty (with Yuri at times) demon ex-queen; whose sons are Conrad, Wolfram and Gwendal, a spy for the Demons that acts cynical and 3 strange maids (women) that somehow like the crazy mishaps happening within the castle.

Very unique, funny, though yeah, yaoi-ness

8/10

Originality

Human that's actually a demon king; trying to be a nice one; be diplomatic instead of being a war-freak... well it's unique as well, somewhat

7.75/10

Enjoyment

I would like to know on what the outcome will be, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Yuri is okay with Wolfram being his fiancé (at 1st he's disgusted), and... yeah... yaoi-ish

7.75/10

Overall

32.25/40

Yeah... as I said b4, there are pretty funny moments, and there are certain points in the show where it can actually be applied in real life ("what makes you think you're lucky compared to that guy? have you been in his shoes?"). I like it... trying to tolerate that yaoi-ness, but still good

- Jet

Lotad
07-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Anime: CardCaptor Sakura

Watched: About half of the Season 1

Rating: Youth

Genre: Shojo/Fantasy

A little different than the Manga, but she does look cute. Also, I though Yukito was blonde... maybe, it was a miscolor... (Recently I watched Episode 1...)

Graphics: 8.3/10

Colors seem to fit what they should be... except Yukito's hair! The graphics during the fights between Sakura and the rampant cards. It does get a little chibi during some of the parts where Sakura shows some intense anger or excitement.

Plot: 7.9/10

Sakura Kinomoto finds a mysterious book in her father's library. After accidently releasing the Clow Cards, the guard of the seal, Kero-chan (that's how I know him), sneakily makes Sakura the Cardcaptor. Usually, each night, a new card reveals itself and Sakura goes through some awkward moments during the fights while her friend, Tomoyo-chan, tapes her battles. A new boy from China, Syaoran Li, becomes involved and believes Sakura is incapable of being the CardCaptor, though he does have a slight, hidden crush on her.

Character: 8.7/10

With commentary thoughts coming from Sakura, she is a fourth-grade girl that goes to Tomoeda Elementary. Her older brother, Toya, and her older brother's friend/ her crush, Yukito, go to Sejio High, next to Sakura's school. Tomoyo is Sakura's friend and has been like that since the 2nd grade... I think. As I said, Li is from China and contains the ability to use Magic Runes and can sense the Clow Cards... Kero is the guard of the seal. Fujitaka Kinomoto is Sakura and Toya's father. Their mother died when Sakura was three.

Originality: 7.9/10

Well, they do deal with traditional magic from the past, but it has an interesting twist as they delve deeper into the meaning of the Cards.

Enjoyment: 8.6/10

Extremely enjoyable, but I would only suggest it to those who are interested in girls who can use magic and who like seeing some extremely odd scenes (Ex: Yukito running in on a fight, with a bag in his hands, yelling: "I have meat buns!!!!")

Total Grade: 41.3/50 ~ 92.5 A

This is my first. I hope I can find some more Anime series to watch.

Kenny_C.002
08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Anime: TOKKO, Devil's Awakening
Watched: 13 eps (looks like that's the end)
ESRP rating: Mature
Genre: Action/Horror

So here we are with another review for le TOKKO. Hey didn't the manga get cancelled for being too crappy? o_O

Graphics

Hey if they actually have anthing going for it, it's probably the graphics. No, they don't have the production values of something like Shuffle, but it's still a pass nonetheless. Quite frankly I didn't really like the character designs all that much. The fog and shading effects can make it difficult to see anything in certain scenes, though.

7/10

Plot

Demons are popping out in Tokyo (without the knowledge of the masses, all cases are treated as homicide or gang warfare)! Who you're gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! I mean TOKKI (some police department for crime scene investigation). But lo an behold, whenever they get there, the second division of TOKKI (TOKKO) always deal with the problem first already!

Our main hero Ranmaru just got into TOKKI, and is helping the TOKKI department, until they got called in for another alleged crime. But this time, they got there before TOKKO did, and they finally saw what horrors were coming.

The plot itself was pretty good, actually. Not too much to complain about, but this series is definitely more action than horror. Be forewarned that NOTHING GETS RESOLVED IN THIS SERIES by the end of episode 13.

6/10

Characters

I'm not sure if I can say that the characters are likeable or not, but then again I don't actually care enough about any of the characters to even bother feeling anything when something happens to any of the characters themselves. So as of yet, low pointage.

4/10

Originality

Sure. It's "original" alright. Okay, I guess the whole box thing was relatively original. No, not really.

7/10

Enjoyment

I don't know why I'm watching this. I guess it's because of the action. And action is good. Otherwise, I don't really care about anything. You know what, even the action got a little bland at times. It's pretty much completely based on fighting random monsters anyway.

6/10

Overall
30/50 or 6.0

Yay, TOKKO passed. Sure if you have the time and bandwidth to waste, it might be a good one to watch, or you like to see breasts under any circumstance, you can look at them or something (go watch fan serivce anime or something. Girls Bravo's got enough breasts in every episode to make you faint, :-/). The whole breasts thing added nothing to the series, since it felt so random when they did it (just like oh I'm going to show you my mark, and it just happens to be near the breasts -.-). Granted, it didn't take away from the series either, as there was nothing to take away from. The end feels rushed, and the entire buildup to the end...well that didn't do anything. Oh no, I get to see some dude doing some random fighting that lasted maybe 2 minutes at most. Great action, guys.

- Kenny C.

Ham and Cheese
08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Anime: The Big O
Watched: 1-17 out of twenty-something
ESPR Rating: It flickers between Older Children and Teens
Genre: Mecha/Psychological

It had to be done to save my poor soul.

Paradigm City’s past was wiped out forty years ago. Recently however, people born after the phenomenon have been regaining memories from the past. So how does Roger Smith, a negotiator, tie into this? He’s a somewhat undercover crime fighter with a giant robot (or a Megadeus), Big O.

Graphics:

This is where my favorite anime fails. While the series was created at around the same time as Cowboy Bebop, the English season finale came in 2003. I mean, it’s fine and all, but it gives you that gray, worn-paper kind of feel, and that’s what annoyed me. I can’t really describe it…it’s just something that irks you.

5/10

Plot

Too many people I know misinterpret the story of this anime. The thing is that people see it as just a mecha show with fan-service (meaning long-winded robot battles). This, I can easily tell you, is not the case. As I said in the Genre section, it’s not just ‘OMAHFUKINGOD IT’S MECHA ROWBAWTZ!!!!’ It taps into your subconscious, and I literally was asking myself, ‘Why am I here?’ after watching episode fourteen. At first glance, the plot is really superficial and clichéd—some negotiator owns giant robot and beats bad guys with it. That is just the icing of the cake.

Well, I feel this is getting too repetitive, so I hope you understand where I’m coming from and why.

8.5/10

Characters:

There aren’t too many characters, which is something good because it gave the ones that we had more development. The anime doesn’t go straight out and tell you the characters’ histories—instead, each little bit is revealed, one episode at a time. It goes at a pace you can keep up with, and it doesn’t leave you saying, ‘WTF?’ in the end.

The characters are also very likeable, and they don’t usually annoy you unless they slip up or say something incredibly stupid (i.e, Roger says ‘Paradigm City’ in a grand way…AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY FREAKIN’ EPISODE). The only two characters that are remotely irritating are Angel and Dorothy, and not to the extent that makes you hate them.

9/10
Originality:

This is no Gundam rip-off. It takes a few elements from Batman, okay, w00t, big deal. But other than that, I don’t think there’s another anime out there that’s like this one. And, if I can’t convince you of that, then I’ll just say that there is no one like Roger Smith out there.

10/10

Enjoyment:

My personal feelings don’t matter all too much, but this is my favorite anime. I force myself to stay up till 1:30 in the morning to watch it, and even then I love it. I honestly just wish season three would be produced already—screw the comedy section of Adult Swim!

11/10

OVERALL:

43/50

Yay, it passed! I certainly hope it deserved it, because this is a very underrated anime. I’d pick this over FMA any day.

Lotad
08-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Anime: Chobits
Watched: Meh... around a third of the season.
Rating: TV-14 to MA (Meh... there is nudity and touching and terms and hinting all throughout...) *nose bleeds*
Genre: Shoujo/ Fantasy/ Romance

Summary
(Taken from KAF) In the near future, personal computers take the form attractive women, called Persocons (editorial note: "persocons" actually means PC or personal computer in Japanese). Hideki Motosuwa is a poor student who failed his entrance exams to get into college. So, Hideki is forced to move to the city, get a job, and attend cram school in hopes of passing the next college entrance exam. He of course, wants a Persocon for himself, but is way too poor to afford one. One day, while walking home, he finds a Persocon in a trash heap. However, his new find doesn't seem to be like the others he's heard about. She doesn't seem to have any operating system at all, and only says "Chii". As Hideki learns more about his Persocon (aptly named "Chii"), he finds that she is not of any known type, and most likely some sort of homemade model. He also learns of the rumor of the "Chobits", Persocons with the ability to think for themselves, instead of running only complex programs. Find out what happens between Hideki and his new Persocon, as she learns more about her environment, people, and life.

Graphics (Score: 9.3/10)
The graphics are excellent. Certain camera angles could be changed, but still the art is excellent

Plot (Score: 8.9/10)
Primarily what the summary reads.

Characters (Score: 9/10)
Hideki Motosuma: Can't not talk to himself, funny, caring, can't walk into a lingerie shop, blushes everytime he gets touched by a girls breast.
Chii: Lacks common sense, beautiful, always learns and remembers stuff, likes Hideki alot
Yumi: Likes Hideki alot, cute, smart, says things when Hideki stares at her in a certain fashion

Eh!!! I forgot the other characters... I'll go look them up.

Originality (Score: 8.4/10)
There are too many Anime that are focused in the future, though I think Persacons are awesome. Some are extremely kawaii.... ^_^

Enjoyment (Score: 9.1/10)
This is enjoyable, even for guys. If you have taken certain classes, you can laugh at more of the implied stuff that happens.

Overall

Score: 44.7/50
Rating: B
Score: 89.4 %

RedRoninMan
11-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Well, I came here to reveiw Fate/Stay Night, but I see that kenny already beat it to a pulp :P. I can see were hes coming from though...
Anyway, since F/S/N has already been reveiwed, I reveiw my favorite manga of all time :D
Manga- Hellsing
Amount Read- 70 chapters or so.
Rating- Very, Very, Very Mature.
Genre- Heroic Bloodshed (lotsa jumping and shooting :P)

Graphics-
The man is an artist with blood. Nothing that you'll really be drooling over here but the characters, for the most part, are nicely detailed and dont look too samey to each other. Hiranos work isnt really consistant but has vastly improved since he started the comic a couple of years ago.
Score- 9/10

Plot-
The story mainly follows Alucard, an almost unfairly powerful vampire who hunts down and disposes of vampires and other living dead for the group known as Hellsing(hence the title)
I'll say this right now, vampires are always cool. Vampires locked in mortal combat with each other, even cooler. Plus, theres nazis.I luv the plot.
Score- 9/10

Characters-
This is probably my favorite part of Hellsing. The main character, Alucard(which is dracula spelled backwards :P) is egotistical, ruthless, and sadistic. Or in other words, hes awesome. Supporting characters include an insane blade weilding preist, a butler who kills people with razor wire and a female vampire who, lets just say, will have back problems later on if you catch my drift:wink:
Score- 10/10

Originality-
Well, you dont see a vampire manga everyday, theres probably a couple out there somewhere. The story borrows heavily from bram strokers Dracula and the story of Cthulu but hardly seems stripmined from either.
Score- 8/10

Enjoyment-
If you love vampires, horrible violence, busty bloodsuckers and a handfull of f-bombs, then this manga is for you! If you dont, well you should go to the doctor because you are obviously pretty messed up.
Score- 9/10

Overall Score-OMG Math! 45/50

Edit: I didnt want to double post so I added my next reveiw to this one.

Next, Ill be reviewing the OVA for Hellsing.

Anime: Hellsing Ultimate OVA.
Amount Watched: Both episode released thus far.
Rating: Super crazy Mature!
Genre: Heroic Bloodshed(same as manga)

Graphics: Freakin Amazing. Movie quality stuff.(Which I suppose justifies one 50 minute episode taking 3 months to create)The characters movements are extremely smooth and the fight scenes are unparalleled.
Score:10/10

Plot: Its exactly the same as the manga actually. Vampires. Zombies. Nazis. The whole reason this was made was because the anime previously made for Hellsing didnt do a bit of justice to its awesome manga counter-part(toned down blood, violence and sexual references) The TV anime also follwed a horrible storyline which pales in comparison to the manga(which the OVA is a direct representation of)
score:9/10

Characters:Great. Perfect representations of the manga. Its hard not to get a total man-crush on walter as he rips through zombies. The second best charcter is definetly Jan(the tanner half of the Valentine brothers). Hes such a jerk, hes hard not to love. Plus, the fact that he gives alucards master the middle finger as he burns to death is pretty funny.
Score:10/10

Originality: Again, vampire animes are pretty few and far between. It keeps it originality whilst borrowing from popular european vampire myths and stories.
Score:9/10

Enjoyment: If you love watching Kill Bill, watch this and love it. If you're a pacifist, this will make your eyes bleed out of your head :D sux 2 b u!
Score:9/10

Overall Score:47/50. An anime thats better then the manga? Is it possible?!?

absolgirl93
12-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Anime: .hack//sign
Watched: Ep 26, complete series plus extra episode (27)
Genre: ??????

This review is from the POV of a viewer who's viewed this for the first time without any sort of background knowloedge of the series nor have played any of the games/seen the DVDs/nothing.

Ah, yes, but the loose ends brought on Legend of the Twilight, which finishes up the Series. I just wish they'd let the Manga have all of the same character designs/names as in the Novel. Like the purple cat thing with the werid hat? She's supposed to be a human sized cat that walks on two legs, and does not wear a hat. But yes, the Anime's a good one.

Kenny_C.002
12-11-2006, 05:08 AM
Twilight had nothing to do with Sign in the way that it is related to the 4 games. Twilight finished the whole series in terms of how things went after the 4 games ended. And remember, I've not even played the 4 games, so I have no idea how Twilight would fit into the whole thing either.

skiboydoggy
01-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Erm, sticky, so not reviving old threads right?

Martian Successor Nadesico
Watched: Whole thing and Prince of Darkness to boot.
ESRP Rating: No idea whatsoever. 13+?
Genre: Mecha/Harem/Comedy/Drama/WTF?!

Graphics:
Alright, it's good. The Aestivalis Units are clearly defined and realistic looking, (not to say that overblown Super Robots are bad,) and there is clear distinction between their frames, not to mention the individual robots with their custom colours and quirks. The Nadesico is a pretty cool piece of tech as well, a sleek and strong machine with the Gravity Blast of Death. Though the profile does make it look rather flat, but apart from that, I like it.
What's the deal with the girls though? Yurika looks like some mutant thing.
Oh, and the Gekiganger looks so silly! xD

8/10 in its own right.

Plot:
Hmm... Any more than the first three episodes and the harem bit would be extremely spoilerish, so there. The plot has several HUGE twists in it, which only pumps up the score like mad. Alright, Earth under attack by mysterious lifeforms, private company builds ship with a ragtag team of trained, but completely oblivious newbies. Though they prove their worth and 00ber 1337 h4x0rz skillz in combat against the Jovians.
Then we have the Aestivalis, which really need to see more action. Their fights are not particularly intense barring a few special scenes, especially that whole thing with the Gekigan Flare knife into barrier thing. Though the mech battles rarely add to the plot so much as pump the harem factor.
Hmm... Yurika > You, but they lose to Gai Daigouji.

10/10 (Biased, so what?)

Characters:
Most of them grow over time, showing more and more of themselves. The most obvious ones are Akito, the main character, and Ruri, the operator of the ship supercomputer. The only minus point is that Yurika is rarely seen developing, until near the very end of the series. Not that you actually GET any part of the story until near the very end, but Akito's development from Shinji to Kira to erm... ALMOST Kabuto Kouji, before changing into Adult Shinji in PoD is extremely fun to watch.
Oh, and one can never be able to forget the powers of amusement brought about by Hikaru and Izumi, more Izumi than either. You cannot help but laugh at how bad her puns are.

"We got 'em!"
"Got...Em? Isn't that where Batman lives?"

Ruri >>> You.

9/10 (Minus point for Yurika stalking Akito SO FRIGGIN' MUCH! Give Ryoko more screen-time damnit!)

Originality:
Starts out as a sort of "NO NOT A FIGHT!" Eva-without-angels thing, but has so many twists that if you tried to emulate them, you would break every bone in your body.

Like I sad, Shinji -> Kira -> ALMOST Kabuto Kouji -> Shinji in PoD.

Oh, and most anti-climatic death in anime history.

1 000 000 000/10

Enjoyment:
Yurika stalking Akito is essential to the plot, but a bit annoying. Everything else is incredibly fun, even some of the stalking. You might not want to come back for more, but the first time round is enough to leave a deep mark on your soul between the drama and the comedy.

9/10

1 000 000 036/10, or more realistically, 46/10. WATCH IT NOW! N-A-O NOW!

Outlawz
07-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Manga: Death Note
Read up to: Chapter 108 in Volume 12

Highschool ace student Light Yagami finds a strange notebook dropped by a rogue shinigami. He soon learns that the notebook has the power to kill people and decides to use it to rid the world of evil, but there will always be people who stand in your way, Light soon finds out. Can Light beat the worlds top detective simply known as L.?
Drawings

The drawings are good, I love Obata's art. The art of Death Note is one of the things that kept me reading through the second half.

9/10

Plot

The plot was good through the first half, but then it just got dragged on far to long and lost a lot of what made Death Note interesting.

7/10

Characters

Light and L., and hell even Ryuk were great characters, but thats about as far as it goes, characters like Near, Takada, and Mikami were boring and not really fun to read about. There was little to no character development in this story, every character pretty much stays the same, Light probably got the most development by getting slightly crazier as the story prolonged.

6/10

Originality

At first youd think that Death Note is like nothing else, while the killer notebook aspect is very unique, as are characters like Light, L., and Ryuk, but theres more to it. Spli this manga into 2 halfs, the first half was great, originality was at it's peak in the first half, the plot, the characters, the schemes, and the good guy dies, it was great, but with the first half theres also a second half. The second half, not so great. The spoilers are so huge here, you shouldn't read it. I've whited it out. -Kenny After the death of L. everything was wrapped up, no one stood in Lights way, he could rule, thus the manga should have ended, but it didn't it went on, and the plot became redundent. Once again Light has to outwitt someone and come up with a crazy scheme while still killing criminals, but this happend before, its not that original, and finally the ending is the most unoriginal thing in the series, because we get the classic shounen good triumphs over evil BS, which is by no means original, First half=Great, Second half=Failure.

6.5/10

Enjoyment

From a personal standpoint I loved Death Note, to a point, then after that point I was extremely dissapointed. In the end I felt sad, because Death Note had the chance to different, to be great, but it didn't take that route, and it made me dissapointed because of how much I loved the first half

7/10

Overall

35.5/50 or 7.1

It was good, but dissapointing, if you read the first few volumes and decide you hate Light, you'll probably like this manga, but if you dont like crappy shounen endings, you might not like it, but I still recomend reading it for the very impressive first half.

-Outlawz

Starkipraggy
03-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Anime: Gundam 00
Watched: First season, 24 episodes
ESRP rating: Teen (13+), probably.
Genre: Mecha, Political, Action

Another Gundam series! Whoohoo!

Quality of the drawings

The characters are very bishie, which is good for fangirls. And they're drawn very well. As for the Gundams...Dude, watch it in High Definition and pee in your pants as you see the Gundam flying in at you with obscene detail.

9/10

Plot

The plot starts out pretty slow at first, so if you have a short attention span, avoid. Things only start heating up around episode 10 or so, but if you don't watch the less exciting episodes first, you'll be clueless as to what is happening. At first the plot seems to be a clone of Gundam Wing, but I can assure you that it's far, far better.

8/10

Characters

The characters are too darn bishie! -tears out eyes- It's as if Gundam Wing wasn't gay enough for people. Another pilot sausagefest. Sheesh.

Disregarding any such bias, the characters are rather well-developed, with each character getting at least some development, even the non-important ones.

8/10

Originality

It's...Gundam. The plot seems to be horked straight from Wing at first, but from thereon it is very original. The characters themselves seem ripped from Wing too, with the exception of Allelujah and Tieria, methinks. The enemy mech designs are very original, though the same can't really be said for the Gundams: Then again, Gundams all look about the same every incarnation.

5/10

Enjoyment

The problem with Gundam 00 is that it doesn't catch people with shallow minds. Gundam is all about war drama, and war drama is NOT all about guns and fighting every other episode. Other than that, if you can appreciate the deepness of plot, this is good for you.

7/10.

Overall
37/50 or 7.4

Low mostly because people who don't appreciate more intellectual animes are aplenty, and thus most people won't enjoy it too much. >_>

Shuricel
04-22-2008, 02:15 AM
http://www.fpnyc.com/weeklyplanet/matk/anima.jpg

Name: +Anima

How far you are in it: Read all 7 out.

Age Recommendation, Reasoning: K. It's fairly scotch free- not too much violence, no gore, and the like, but there is some stuff that wouldn't be good for really young kids to read, such as was and racism.

Plot Overview: The plot revolves around four +Anima children: Cooro, Husky, Senri, and Nana. Brought together by their +Anima powers, they search for others like themselves and a place to belong. Along the way, they encounter villains and friends alike, as well as other +Anima. The story shows, through flashbacks, the different histories of the characters. In Husky and Nana's case, their pasts seem to have influenced their current fears of water and forests at night, respectively. Senri and Cooro's pasts, however, remain for the most part a mystery, with only small pieces of Senri's past shown and none of Cooro's with the exception of the very beginning. Another factor is what appears to be a war of some sort brewing, with swords being forged and soldiers assembled. The army is encountered twice (as of volume three) by the main characters, and both times the four find themselves being looked badly upon. As the story progresses, more and more is revealed about the characters and the present predicament alike.

Plot/Use of Potential: To start off with, I am going to tell you one thing:

If you like deep, in depth plots, where some miniscule detail turns out to be a major plot point, this is not the story for you.

This is because, for the first few volumes-the first four or five, it tends to be small stories. The real plot starts to begin at chapter six, where they meet the Kim-Um-Kur clan on their way to Sailand.

But before you get turned off, I do suggest reading this. Out of all the manga I've read, this is the only one I've seriously considered buying. It's cute, but it flawlessly pulls off serious moments.

The stories do a good job, and are fairly unique, mostly dabbling into the prejudices the +Anima end up facing (raging from awe to downright hatred), and the nature of the +Anima themselves. It also tends to show the childlike qualities of the main characters fairly well, including some outlandish dreams (Nana wants to be a princess.)

Now, let me tell you:

If you like more cute, yet sometimes deep, stories with flashbacks that reveal more about the characters, unique characters, and stories that can tug at your heartstring, and a few plot twists this is the manga for you.

This is set in medieval times, and the stories often reflect that (for example, a teenage boy getting married to a young girl to unite kingdoms.)

Overall...the plot deserves an...8.5/10!

The only reason it lost the 1.5 points is that the plot begins kinda loosely...thing is, it pulls it off REALLY well. However, people being prejudiced for having strange powers is also fairly coming. Once again, this manga pulls it off REALLY well.

To Summarize: This is a cute and fluffy story, but the stories in it often include prejudice, the nature of +Anima, how they come to be, the seperation of family that seems to occur when you become one, and the like. It manages to juggle cute and serious flawlessly.

Art/Sound: Wow, this is a manga, but there is absolutely one thing I have to say: Absolutely loved, LOVED, the character designs. The clothing is fantastic, from Alabaster's (?) more eyecatching outfits to Sailand's more formal decorative clothe. I love it- the attire's are creative and realistic (they don't wear heavy armor), but you're still able to tell the culture. The tribal looking clothes usually belongs to the Kim-Um-Kur, if they're wearing more flowery stuff, Sailand, and the etc.

Now that that little rant is over, I'm going to talk about the overall style. It's a more cutesy type of art. However, it's not to the point of being overly cute. Everything is still fairly realistic, except for some of the character's overly large heads. I'm not going to say it's the epitome of art, but it is good, and fits the mood of the manga fairly well; and handles the more serious jobs well. Overall, I have few complaints, and those themselves are very small..

Overall, I give this factor a...

9.5/10!

To Summarize: Art is good, and appealing to the eye. It manages to strike a serious tone when needed. However, it might turn you off if you dislike more cute styles, or more simply, large heads.

Characters: Let me tell you one thing: the plot begins loosely. The characters would HAVE to be pulled off well to attract me to this story.

The characters all have realistic personalities, yet still attain a level of cuteness that accompanies this story (I'm serious. Cooro-leadery, yet cute. Husky-serious, yet cute. Senri-silent, yet cute. Nana-...just cute.) Thing is, you have to remember, these are children. They aren't adults yet, and this manga captures the essense of their childlike spirits pretty well. They act like children, thing like children (they do have their occasional times of wisdom), and they react realistically as children who face hardship (e.i. Having to perform as a 'mystical creature' in a circus after getting caught in a fishing net.)

Before you say it, no, they're not all: 'Woe is me! I became a freak of nature! *slashes wrist*" Actually, they all tend to be fairly optimistic.

Still, a childlike essense can be hard to mantain in things like this. One of my absolute favorite parts was when Husky admitted that he wanted to go see his mother to tell her he was alive. (And, in case you care, Husky is my favorite character.)

And as I said, character designs=awesome.

I have only one major mistake-it took me two books to figure out if Husky was a boy or girl. (He's a boy.) Because of that, the grade on this is...

9.5/10!

To Summarize: Characters remain a happy, slightly optimistic air that a child in real life would have. Despite this, the characters are interesting and unique enough to catch you attention. It was only of that one major complaint that this section got a 9.5. Oh, and might a mention, I love the clothing to pieces.

Overall Enjoyment: Yes. I HIGHLY recommend this is you have even the slightest sweet tooth. If you don't have a small sweet tooth...you will gag yourself reading this, even in the more serious moments. This is just one of the manga that I could easily get sucked into.

Grade: 10/10

To Summarize: YOU REALLY NEED A SUMMARY FOR THIS? Just read the original, sheesh.

Overall Grade:

Let me calculate this....

9.375---->9.4

Overall...94% A!

Now, let me repeat, you will not enjoy this if you don't have much of a sweet tooth.

SoulCalibur
06-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Name: Bleach
About:Bleach is the anime that took my virginity D: and dragged me away from the "kiddie" shows DBZ and Naruto. Every episode is pure awesomeness. Whoever hasn't watched any episode of this series: There life hasn't ben completed till they do!
Story:8/10
Art:9/10
Animation:9/10
Music:10/10
Overall:90 % AWESOME

Name:Death Note
About:AWESOME turns into CRAPPY
Story:7/10
Art:10/10
Animation:8/10
Music:7/10
Overall:80 %

Blaziken91
06-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Just wondering if Samurai 7 and Trinity Blood(Trinity, I think is spelled wrong, sorry) are worth buying?

Kendo
06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
EDIT: I've read a bit more and heard a bit more, as well as gone over my earlier thoughts about this manga. Clearly it needs to be re-judged, as it's really AWESOME. When I read ALL of it maybe I'll make a fairer judgment. *cheers*
ANOTHER EDIT: I have now read pretty much all of this manga. Okay, here goes.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Review

Rating: T+ (quite a lot of gore and violence, and I caught some nudity)
Genre: Action-Adventure Horror

I'd better start with a really really short intro. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure started way back in the 80's and is technically still going, but not many people had heard about it, it seems (and if they have, it's likely only the third of 6-7 parts). I...guess it's automatically obscure, though mildly popular, I guess. It's hard to tell. ANYWAYS, it's got six completed parts, and I've just gotta review all of them.

I: Phantom Blood

PLOT: Our story starts some years after a wealthy family of three gets into a carriage accident in 1880, and after a series of events, the thief that "helped" the father and child survive the crash dies. What's important is that his son Dio Brando is adopted into the Joestar family. The son Jonathan really doesn't get along with Dio because, to put it blatantly, he's evil. Meanwhile, there's also a suspicious ancient Aztec stone mask lying around their house, and the only way to defeat it may lie in the power of...ripple/hamon.

At the beginning you can tell the gist of where the story's going (but not the whole way), but that doesn't make it a bad read. Since it's slightly predictable, you might get bored at the start, but if you like action you should get into it eventually. What might make it a weird read for some, however, is the art style. This is Fist of the North Star with MORE muscles, and it makes the otherwise polished art look hilarious sometimes. Our characters are alright, if not all spectacular. (Get back Jo)Jonathan practically forces you to feel for him, (Ronnie James) Dio (Marlin) Brando is a good villain, (Led) Zeppeli(n)'s kind of cool, and (REO) Speedwagon...kind of looks like Brock of Venture Brothers fame. Also he has a razor hat. Other characters do a fine job at the right moment, but in the end they don't feel all that important, probably because they're not named after musical things.

Do you really want to read it!? If you want something faster-paced, skip it until later. It may be kind of neat, but again, it depends. All several people have to say about it is...zombie Jack the Ripper.

II: Battle Tendency

PLOT: Now we've got a new hero...Jonathan's presumed son, Joseph Joestar! Watch as he (briefly) battles civil rights in 1930's New York, travels to new places, and defeats the mysterious Pillar Men and their zombie armies using the power of hamon.

Yep...that's the plot at its core. Joseph is the closest main character we get to the manga hero archetype, power-packing the personality traits of a dumb and perverted guy who can also fight and kick your ass, depending on your answer. No matter what the situation, he will ALWAYS find a heroic and convoluted strategy to overcome his foes. With the possible exceptions of they're-all-musically-themed Lisa Lisa, Caesar and Stroheim, and some pillar men, other characters fall flat. It's okay, though, because this story isn't character-driven and relies on some cool and intense fighting to do things. But be warned: it also doesn't rely on clothing, which sounds pretty dumb, but could be true. You probably don't want to read this in a public place. Well, probably not any part of the entire series, since there's a lot of blood and gore, but perhaps more this part than any other.

Do you really want to read it!? Maybe. If you skip any of the six main parts, this is the one to skip, for sure, hands-down. Pillar men aren't nearly as important as plain old vampires, as it turns out, over the course of the series. It's more notable for featuring Joseph at his best and awesomest. Still, maybe you should come back to this part later, since it's a really, really long story.

III: Stardust Crusaders

PLOT: Say hello to our new hero, Jotaro Kujo! He may have a new last name, but he's still a JoJo, so it works. More importantly, we have a new fighting ability: Stands! You will never see hamon again...and maybe that's a good thing, since this is where the series hits its stride. It's 1980's Japan, and Jotaro's a punk kid who happens to have a Stand of his own. They realize that there's a mysterious vampire rising from the depths of the ocean, one presumed to be dead. You wanna know who it is? You wanna? You REALLY wanna -- oh, heck, it's Dio. They gather the toughest Stand-wielding heroes from around the world so that they can kill him once and for all.

If you need to know any one part of the series, it's this one. It's by far the most iconic, spawning a bunch of people punching at conventions, an anime (that's not as radical as the manga, I think), and a video including a steamroller. As characters, our main gang is much more interesting than the main characters of the past, at least for an action manga. Jotaro's just awesome, Joseph's still kind of awesome, Avdol's one of the first positive Middle Eastern figures of manga, Kakyoin's never as cool as he was when he was evil, Polnareff's nice comedy relief, and Iggy doesn't do as much but still serves a good purpose. Most if not all of the Stands have interesting powers, making victories for the heroes awesome and well-earned. This is also where Araki started to find an art style that isn't as North Star-y and defines him much more as an artist. More weird poses are seen, but they're not ALWAYS as hilarious as they once were.

Do you really want to read it!? YES. ...Actually, you really want to read it if you really like action stories. The battle scenes stand out, mostly because Stands are much more entertaining than hamon overall. Too bad Joseph hardly uses HIS powers anymore. Dang, lost an opportunity! Again, if you have the time, it's probably worth a read.

IV: Diamond is Unbreakable

PLOT: Meet Josuke Higashikata (which upon further inspection can be read so as to have "Jo" in it -- IT COUNTS!?), living in the town of Duwang Morioh somewhere in Japan. When related person Jotaro pays him a visit, he's taken into the magical world of Stands, and so, it seems, is the entire town. Eventually they get into a murder mystery plot.

This part has a horrible, horrible...HORRIBLE translation online. How terrible is it? Oh, you do NOT ask that. Well...they called someone RED CHILI HOT PEPPER. Oh, you don't think that's TOO bad? Think you can still read it? Well...alright, fine. Read it, be horrified, and then realize that it's still a pretty good story, that aside. The art style is somewhat more well-defined compared to the previous part, but whichever one looks better depends on YOU. As characters, all of these guys are...great. Josuke annoyed me at first by refusing to believe that his hair is terrible (or great? You decide; methinks it looks like an old waffle with Sonic's tail), but he's more of a combo pack of Joseph and Jotaro's personalities. He keeps the coolness...while still being a hero! Koichi's kewl, Okuyasu's overly spectacular, Jotaro's not quite as great as he was last time around, and a bunch of other notable characters make appearances. Even with the worst scanalations (that's how you spell it, right!?) I've ever seen, it happens to be my personal favorite. Why, you ask? Not only does it have more creative Stands than before, but it also has some neat stories within Morioh. Sadly the character Fatty gets thrown out of the story right after his introduction. Well, shoot!

Do you really want to read it!? Maybe. It's definitely not a good place to start reading, as it stands. Again, depending on the kid reading it, it could be worth your while.

V: Vento Aureo

PLOT: We've got a new hero, folks, and his name is Giorno Giovanna (yep, still a Joestar...we're gettin' real technical here)! He wishes to become a gangster in Italy and, eventually, a GangSTAR. He joins the mafia, hilariousness and bananas ensue, and he joins a band of heroic gangsters to protect the unknown boss' daughter, Trish. But in the end, they must embark on a completely different quest...

This part in particular has a neat plot, but I really didn't like it as much as the other parts. First of all, many of our main characters are awesome, except for Giorno, but only because I still don't know his personality. He's just...cool. That's all there is to it. Fugo isn't very great, either...but he really should've been. In fact, I was kind of hoping he would make an awesome comeback by the end of the story. Maybe it's not possible, but hey. And another thing: our main antagonist is...quite silly-looking, actually. That's mostly because his hair is pink and green, and spotted like a cheetah. It couldn't even be yellow and black!? Well, shoot (again)! But more than all of that, Giorno's power is so cheap he doesn't even realize its full dumb potential. He can turn any inanimate object into anything living, along with a few other powers. Doesn't this, in theory, mean he can make a bunch of really awesome animals? If I remember correctly, he's made small venomous snakes in the past. Perhaps he can't make a dragon, or even a komodo dragon, but he could still make some awesome (maybe dumb) combos. Another thing that really bothers me is Metallica's ability. He could kill his enemy IMMEDIATELY with that ability, yet he gave the enemy time to dodge his not-daring moves. We don't really learn his personality, either, so that doesn't help matters.

Of course, this would leave the problem of drama in battle, of which there is plenty. Our gayngsters go through some exceptionally awesome fight scenes which, more often than not, make up for all these other things. Again, they're interesting, bloody, and action-packed through and through.

Do you really want to read it!? Eh, if you liked the rest of the series, you should in theory like this, too.

VI: Stone Ocean

PLOT: Jolyne Kujo son of some other Kujo, is sentenced to jail in Green Dolphin Street Prison after some other circumstances of interest. She meets a cast of mostly-female inmate characters, many of which have Stands, too, and a few other folks. can they stop the end of the world!?

Stone Ocean is an epic conclusion to the saga as a whole. Whether or not you liked the rest of the series as a whole, this wraps it up nicely or kind of weirdly, again depending on the person. Jolyne, being our first female Joe kid, is still tough and stuff and a good character to get behind, and all of her allies have good backstories to them, as well as some of their foes. Yet again there are plenty of exciting battles, do-or-die situations, and events that truly prove anyone can die in this series. Also it includes brand names for characters, as well as musical references.

Do you really want to read it!? Yes, probably. It somehow makes a good starting point for the series, so if you want to get to a spiffy plot faster, or just don't feel like reading part three first...uh.

VII: Steel Ball Run
Read: 63 chapters (if "7 Days in a Week" counts as a chapter)

PLOT: Yes, Stone Ocean really ended the series...but it just couldn't end there, technically. Enter an alternate universe of sorts, wherein Stands still exist along with the mysterious power of the steel ball weapon. Gyro Zeppeli happens to have this ability, and a curious Johnny Joestar accompanies him on their race across the USA, the Steel Ball Run. But what are the true motives behind this race!?

The plot is interesting if heavy on religious themes (and it's apparent before its reveal, or at least it was for me), and the story is even moreso with the various cameos of characters who were partly sligtly mostly from the rest of the series. Even plot twists that should be expected come out of the blue, strangely, thanks to JoJo's overall style. However, a plot point or two comes frm assumption, which keeps bothering me, like, y'know? (An example of this being, "This cage is totally empty! IT MUST HAVE BEEN A CARRIER PIGEON.") Again, many characters are people whose causes you can get behind, all with even more interesting Stand powers.

Do you really want to read it!? If you've read every single other chapter of the rest of the series...heck yes.

OVERALL OPINION: Through good and bad, thick and thin, I look back at the months it took me to read this and say that I think it was worth it. Will you think it was? YET AGAIN...it depends on whether you really like action and blood and guts 'n' stuff or not, and if you don't care how crappy the physics and history can be at times. But can I give it a rating in numbers? Shoot no. Take this information and judge for yourself, gosh dangit.

Dragonair_blizzard
07-20-2008, 12:30 AM
This is a manga which I just recently read.

Manga: Katekyo Hitman Reborn (Also anime)
Read up to:Chapter 201
Age:Well, for everyone but has quite a bit of violence and blood.
Genre: Comedy/Action

Plot: Tsunayoshi 'Tsuna' Sawada, a middle school student in Japan gets a note that he is getting a private tutor. He soon finds out it is an infant hitman called Reborn who is training him to be the Tenth Generation mafia boss of the family Vongola.

The plot is interesting and fasinating which makes you want to continue reading.

9/10

Quality of Drawing: Quite good, there will be a couple of colour ones. There really isn't any fault in the drawings.

8/10

Characters: Each character have their own unique personality, behaviour and weapons.

8.5/10

Originality: The originality is high as the storyline contains odd twists and turns in which I have never seen in any other anime or manga.

9.5/10

Enjoyment: I have really enjoyed the series as there are some funny parts ones with suspence. I am currently waiting for the next chapter and I can read the whole series over again and not get bored. So I highly recommend this to anyone and wish that you would try reading at least ten chapters before quitting if you dislike it.

10/10

Overall: 4.5/50 ~ 90%

Jeikobu
08-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Just wondering if Samurai 7 and Trinity Blood(Trinity, I think is spelled wrong, sorry) are worth buying?

Actually, you spelled Trinity right. ;-) I would definitely not associate with that one.

Samurai 7 was pretty interesting at first, but I stopped watching it about 20 episodes into it because it had too much other religion content that bothered me, and the story had slowed down to a crawling speed.

Synester
01-08-2009, 09:44 AM
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. Beofre I start, I honestly want to say, that you'd be WAY better off watching this dubbed then subbed, seeing as how the songs are much better sounding that way. Yes, this is a music anime and ALL the songs sound much better in english then they do in Japanese...ALL!

Quality of the drawings
Amazing, even the background characters have some detail to them, the guitars aren't crappy looking either.

10/10

Plot
I believe the anime spans in 2-3 years. Its starts out with 14-year-old Yukio "Koyuki" Takanaka, a seemiling boring 14-year-old juinor high school boy, who saves this franken dog (He has a brown upper body, a dalmation's lower half, and this his upper left face is blue o.O). Luckily the owner of the dog named Ryûsuke "Ray" Minami, a promising guitar player, who hands him a towel after his dog bites him. Days later, Koyuki and some of his friends go to see Ray's band "Cerial Momma" preform, and give Ray band the towel. Days later, Koyuki and a friend from school go to visit him and Ray gives Koyuki a guitar. Moments later, Cereal Momma breaks up, and Ray promises to form the ultimate band. Koyuki finds a mentor to teach him guitar, and after months of practicing, Koyuki is offered a spot in the band as back up vocals and guitar. The story focuses on the trials and tribulations of their punk and rapcore band named BECK, and an important plot that deals with Koyuki's relationship with Ryûsuke's sister, Maho.

Koyuki, who was plagued by his boring existence, gradually matured through experiences with the band and began to discover who he really was.

9/10, seeing as how some of it has been done, but great none the less.

Characters
Unfortunalty, the characters are all overdone ):
Koyuki-The shy guy
Ray-The badass
Taira-Mature guy of the band
Maho-The Love Interest
Chiba-The Funny Badass
Saku-The Opptimist and best friend of the Shy Guy

7/10

Originality
Possibly, one of the most original anime I've ever seen in my life. I've never seen a music anime, and the show actually references other real bands, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Rage Against the Machine (Ray even plays his guitar like Tom Morrilo for a few seconds :o)

10/10

Enjoyment
I enjoyed this anime more then any I've ever watched, but its short ): All the GOOD anime are short =/. Most of the longer ones suck >.>. Yes, I'm talking about Naruto mostly and some of Bleach >.>.

10/10

Overall
Overall, I'd give it a 9/10 a must watch for any music lover. Plus, the quote in my sig was taken from the show...sorta.

-Prudence

Hakken
11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I didn't even know we had a thread like this... Of course, nobody's posted in it since forever, but... :D

I'm reviewing Square Enix's new-ish manga, Doubt. It was recommended to me by a friend. Pretty quick read; I enjoyed it. <3

Cover art. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/RabbitDoubtVol1Cover.jpg)

Manga: Square Enix’s (Rabbit) Doubt
Rating: There’s a lot of blood, gore, and mature themes.
Genre: Horror, whodunit mystery, psychological thriller.
Read up to: The whole thing.

Quality of the drawings
Doubt is illustrated by Yoshiki Tonogai, who also illustrated the manga adaptation of Higurashi’s Himatsubushi-hen (Time Killing) arc. For those who don’t know, it’s the last of the four arcs in the original series. Honestly, I found the drawings to be substandard. Perhaps they just didn’t suit my personal tastes, but I’ll say it outright: I thought they were somewhat ugly. By the end, though, I was no longer distracted by the drawing quality. They aren’t pretty, but they’re not awful, either. They’re bearable, and they didn’t turn me away immediately.

Score: 3/10

Plot
As with most mysteries, Doubt’s plot is its make-it-or-break-it feature. Thankfully, this one made it. The premise is this: there is a widespread cell phone game called Rabbit Doubt, where one player is a wolf and the rest are rabbits. The wolf player has to deceive the rabbit players while they try to guess who the wolf is. Meanwhile, the rabbits are eaten one by one. If the wolf eats all the rabbits before they can guess who he is, the wolf wins. (We should play a game like that, shouldn’t we? xD)

A boy named Yuu is having a real-life meet up with other players of this game. At first, it’s great, but they soon find themselves locked up in an abandoned psychiatric hospital with no way to escape. The plot grows increasingly complex from there as they realize that this is it: this is the game. They’re playing Rabbit Doubt. Each person has a barcode somewhere on their body that can open doors. The catch? Once a barcode is used, it can only open the door it’s first used on and no other. Parts of the plot are confusing, but for the most part, it’s well-done. Parts are predictable, where others are surprising. There’s no shortage of twists or turns.

I found that after Yuu discovered the wolf (or who he thought was the wolf) it started to drag on and on. A good part of the manga was just conversing with the wolf after most of the action was over. The very, very end is the saving grace here. Of course, I knew who the killer was… but I’m not telling; most people aren’t as good at whodunits as I am. :D

Score: 10/10

Characters
Most of the characters in Doubt are clichéd, but well-executed. The cast is as follows:

Yū Aikawa, the main character. He is the ‘good guy’. Not much else to say about him.

Eiji Hoshi, your typical badass archetype. He was even a member of a gang. Doesn’t like Hajime.

Haruka Akechi, the tough girl character. She doesn’t see much character development.

Rei Hazama, who used to star in a popular television show. A hypnotist. Now in a wheelchair.

Mitsuki Hōyama, Yuu’s childhood friend and a typical schoolgirl character... With a twist. She was probably the best character of them all.

Hajime Komaba, the average male glasses character. He’s the most intelligent of the group, and seems somewhat cold and reserved. He didn’t show up for the initial group meeting. He’s a med student.

Score: 5/10

Originality
I would say it was original. These types of mystery manga have been done before, but all things considered, Rabbit Doubt was pretty… well, original.

Score: 9/10

Enjoyment
Pfft. It’s a horror mystery. Of course I enjoyed it.

Score: 10/10

Total
37/50, or 74%.
I’m kinda harsh, aren’t I? o-o Honestly, I thought it was good. If you like Higurashi (or other psychological thrillers) you’d like this, hands down.

Sequentio
11-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I wish I knew this thread existed before. D:

Solty Rei
Science Fiction/Action
24 Episodes and 1 OVA (Bought them all).
Rating; T (For partial nudity & violence).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SNiCGZ_QewE/R63xxEu6veI/AAAAAAAAAg0/ggeTNIWOnG0/s1600/Solty+Rei.jpg

Solty Rei
Science Fiction/Action
24 Episodes and 1 OVA (Bought them all).
Rating; T (For partial nudity & violence).

Art & Music
The whole reason I picked up this anime was because of the catchy opening theme. It's not even that great of a song, but it sticks in your head better than most theme songs, even if you don't know what they're saying... but really; you're not paying attention to the music. You're looking at the beautiful artistic designs in this anime. Of course, it's an anime - it's not supposed to be too realistic, but it has such vivid colors, crisp lines and some of the greatest background work I've seen. In fact, it reminds me of Ghost in the Shell, but with bright colors. Absolutely stunning.

10/10

Plot & Originality
There's a gynoid. She fights... Alright, so it sounds really stereotypical. When I read about it myself, I rolled my eyes and hoped for the best. It turned out, the series is so much more than that. A man named Roy Revant is a bounty hunter (yes, I know this has been done too) in a city ravaged by the "Blast Fall", a devastating event that has been unexplained (but will be in the end). It caused such damage, that many people called "Resembles" walk the street. They are those who have been rebuilt with robotic parts to sustain life. While Roy is out hunting his bounty, a mysterious girl falls from the sky. She has no memory of what happened before she met Roy, (okay - I know it's getting really cliché) but she proves to be a genuine Resemble in battle; and a much stronger one than Roy has ever seen.

Soon after, Solty (the mysterious girl) moves in with Roy, as she has no where else to go. Roy reveals that he is looking for his daughter, who went missing after the Blast Fall. They soon become partners in bounty hunting, eventually hooking up with several of the outlaws. (Cowboy Bebop, much?) It seems like the plot is just a bunch of random anime plots put together; making it unoriginal and bland. However, you're in for a surprise around Episode 11, when the plot begins to take new, exciting turns. In fact, I was completely thrown off guard with one of the greatest plot twists... twice. If you can suffer past the light, up-beat nature of the first ten episodes, it gets deep and causes emotional attachment to the characters with a beautiful, evolving plot and numerous original ideas.

8/10

Characters
Solty - A naive gynoid capable of immense power; but has amnesia.
Roy Revant - A calm, laid back bounty hunter, who through his work, found Solty.
Rose Anderson - A very rash, outspoken girl who is first labeled as a bandit, along with her two brothers, Larry and Andy.
Miranda Maverick - Roy's boss, who is often provoked by her daughter, Kasha, to help.
Yuto Steel - A man who works with Resembles. He often is viewed as a major pervert.
Integra, Celica, Accela & Sylvia - Four members of a governmental organization that manage the city called R.U.C. They usually provide comedy relief, until the anime turns dark about half way through.
Ashley Lynx - The mysterious man in charge of the R.U.C.

In the beginning, it feels like everyone is seen through Solty's naive eyes. Everyone is good, and they all have light-hearted adventures. This serves the purpose of introducing you to some of the characters. Half way into the anime, when everything takes a dramatic turn, you find yourself caring so deeply about each and every one of them.

9/10

Enjoyment
This was pure bliss. This anime didn't need fan service or crude humor to get the point across. All it needed was original character development that made you ache when the characters ache, and that made you weep with joy when they were happy. This is truly one of my favorites, if not my ultimate choice in anime. I watched all 25 episodes in succession, and it was one of the things that I'm glad I did. Best anime ever.

11/10

Overall
According to my scores, this gets a 95% from the technical point of view... but I hope you watch it, so you can see why it deserves so much more. Buy this, download this, steal this. It's really that wonderful. ;D

Kendo
12-28-2009, 05:29 AM
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/2997/bobopj7.png

Alas, poor Chagecha. 'Twas so short-lived. After Yoshio Sawai finished writing Bobobo Bobobobo (which I have read/watched parts of and enjoyed, especially the anime), he proceeded to create this manga. Here's a review.

Manga: Chagecha
Read up to: Chapter 8 - that is, completed.
Rating: Can't find it anywhere for some reason, but has some over-the-top-but-not-bloody violence.
Genre: Humor and probably Action

Graphics: The artwork in Bobobo-Bobobobo was chiseled and unpolished, which was thankfully made up for (at least for me) with the nonsensical humor. Artwork in Chagecha is still Yoshio's distinct style, but more refined, and great for drawing weird faces. It's certainly not the best or prettiest artwork, but it gets the job done. For me this is forgivable thanks to the story itself.

Rating: 7/10

Plot: A "great delinquent" known as Chagecha and his forgettable tagalong partner I-forget-his-name try to rise through the school ranks by fighting people with their Yangi powers. And forgive me if I get things wrong; it didn't take too long for me to run through the thing. It's enjoyable thanks to some other elements incorporated into the manga, and without those it might have been more lackluster. Not breaking new ground, but a nice stage for the story.

Rating: 8/10

Characters: Chagecha himself seemed somewhat like the titular protagonist of Yoshio's earlier work at first to me (especially with an unusual hairdo, muscular build, standout clothing), but is able to develop slightly differently through the eight chapters he's in. He's slightly more realistic emotion-wise...slightly. Still, his and Bobobo's type of character models seem to be the ones he's most comfortable writing with at this point. He doesn't attack with nose hair, of course, but a signature move doesn't really have time to be incorporated.

A few of the character designs remind me of his other series, too. Tagalong Kid looks like Heppokomaru/Gasser (if only for that white hair, but still), and Kawai probably looks like Beauty when you first see her, only she actually starts out with weapons weapons (bowling-ball-with-chains. They're pretty awesome). It's probably more like a case of me thinking the mangaka should diversify his facial structures and art styles some. I mean, it's not a bad thing, but still. And...is that tiger thing Don Patch?

In fact, the only characters that really get signature moves are Big-headed-kid-whose-name-I-forgot and Kawai. Some electric paralysis attack was used, I think, but the character that used it was pretty forgettable and didn't do very much at all in the end. If only the series had gained more popularity and gone on longer...

Thanks to the series' short run, a whole team of to-be-main characters was hardly expanded on. I would have really liked seeing a battle with that young bird, what else Chagecha could do, other results of that big-headed kid's slot machine, whatever that rabbit was going to do, et cetera. Such a shame...

Although - again comparing things to Bobobo - some of the characters definitely seemed more fitting for the aforementioned series rather than for Chagecha. They're mostly in the weird-objects-with-legs category, for me. Maybe the similarities of the two manga(s? Still iffy on that one) led to Chagecha's downfall...

A bit hard to judge, really. But since they couldn't fit much development into such a short run, and it might have been better if they kept to a smaller cast, I have to give it...a 5. What characters they do, slightly, develop are enjoyable, though. Blame it on the length.

Rating: 5/10

Originality: Somewhat less ridiculous than Bobobo, but weird in its own right. It should really be judged on its own, not compared to that previous series, so I won't be judging based on that. I really liked the attacks they used, especially the "Snake Rope". And no, them using hair-related attacks does not count as copying off of nosehair tactics. There are some really unexpected and strange things that go on. Since they're not quite around every corner (well, around most of them, but...), weird things can be more easily laughed at. Attacks are more funny-overblown than funny-stupid, though they overlap. But speaking of that (and you might count these as spoilers - be warned!) they threw the freaking Eiffel Tower on somebody as an attack. You might argue that Bobobo has them throwing the Sun at somebody, but keep in mind this happened in chapter 2, I believe, and the series wasn't even originally planned to be that short.

Clearly the series was going to become crazy awesome in the future, not to mention pretty funny, or at the least pretty weird. We only got to read a fraction of what was planned originally. That being said, they did put in some pretty original stuff.

Rating: 8.5/10

Enjoyment: I liked the first chapters more than the last, since the last ones were a bit rushed and didn't show much character development. To me, roughly the most awesome points of the series...also happen in the first half of the story. I enjoyed reading through Yoshio's usual quirks (which remind me a bit too much of Bobobo - he should definitely expand his horizons, though this doesn't stop them from being enjoyable and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny). I still recommend you read the whole thing if you decide to read it at all, as the series as a whole is a nice, if short and somewhat lacking, read.

Rating: 8/10 (your results may vary depending on what sort of manga you like reading)

Overall: Chagecha, especially the beginning, is enjoyable as a whole. However, if you don't like Bobobo then you probably won't like Chagecha, and if Yoshio Sawai's next works are going to follow the same random action pattern he seems to be making you won't like those either, unless you're willing to really suspend disbelief to experience the awesome action presented.

But in my opinion, the beginning should be put above the rushed-before-cancellation ending. Best for fans of Bobobo-Bobobobo, of COURSE, but you might want to go find it anyways.

Overall: 7.5/10

JamieWillis
05-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Anime: Chobits
Watched: Meh... around a third of the season.
Rating: TV-14 to MA (Meh... there is nudity and touching and terms and hinting all throughout...) *nose bleeds*
Genre: Shoujo/ Fantasy/ Romance

Summary
(Taken from KAF) In the near future, personal computers take the form attractive women, called Persocons (editorial note: "persocons" actually means PC or personal computer in Japanese). Hideki Motosuwa is a poor student who failed his entrance exams to get into college. So, Hideki is forced to move to the city, get a job, and attend cram school in hopes of passing the next college entrance exam. He of course, wants a Persocon for himself, but is way too poor to afford one. One day, while walking home, he finds a Persocon in a trash heap. However, his new find doesn't seem to be like the others he's heard about. She doesn't seem to have any operating system at all, and only says "Chii". As Hideki learns more about his Persocon (aptly named "Chii"), he finds that she is not of any known type, and most likely some sort of homemade model. He also learns of the rumor of the "Chobits", Persocons with the ability to think for themselves, instead of running only complex programs. Find out what happens between Hideki and his new Persocon, as she learns more about her environment, people, and life.

Graphics (Score: 9.3/10)
The graphics are excellent. Certain camera angles could be changed, but still the art is excellent

Plot (Score: 8.9/10)
Primarily what the summary reads.

Characters (Score: 9/10)
Hideki Motosuma: Can't not talk to himself, funny, caring, can't walk into a lingerie (http://www.robustbuy.com/womens-clothes-lingerie-sets-c-1083_1085_1088.html) shop, blushes everytime he gets touched by a girls breast.
Chii: Lacks common sense, beautiful, always learns and remembers stuff, likes Hideki alot
Yumi: Likes Hideki alot, cute, smart, says things when Hideki stares at her in a certain fashion

Eh!!! I forgot the other characters... I'll go look them up.

Originality (Score: 8.4/10)
There are too many Anime that are focused in the future, though I think Persacons are awesome. Some are extremely kawaii.... ^_^

Enjoyment (Score: 9.1/10)
This is enjoyable, even for guys. If you have taken certain classes, you can laugh at more of the implied stuff that happens.

Overall

Score: 44.7/50
Rating: B
Score: 89.4 %

It is definitely one of the exciting games I have played ever. Those attractive women characters guarantee lot of fun and enjoyment..:):)