PDA

View Full Version : FORUM BATTLES (all URPG check it out)

Jack of Clovers
05-28-2004, 07:42 PM
i'd like to hear some opinions, any opinions. this is not a thread to argue against people, just answer the poll and help out with what you can.

~Jack~

Shroomish
05-28-2004, 11:58 PM
I think it needs some major construction. I mean, no one refs it except you and it's just progressing really slow.
I haven't a clue on how to help it, though. All in all, it probably should've never been created and people could've just downloaded a messenger and if they coulnd't get a messenger, then the URPG just wasn't for them. Sorry but it's true. A messenger system is kind of essential even with Forum Battles anyway. =/

mlugia
05-29-2004, 12:51 AM
My sentiments with Shroomish's, although I think there's a major problem with the Messenger battles, because in my last few weeks with the URPG, there's either never a ref handy or the refs around aren't willing to ref due to various reasons. So even if it becomes a completely messenger based battle system, it'd still need some revamping to ensure the battles are carried out.

Also, damage wise, why don't you guys just download a damage calculator already created for like the RS version anyways? it'd cut down on the need to create a functional damage formula along with everything else.

boltAge
05-29-2004, 02:18 AM
Bad. I suggest just closing it down entirely, it reeks of spam and death(nobody ever refs except jack).

Neo Emolga
05-29-2004, 04:21 AM
I'll say it short and to the point. It sucks. Why? I'll tell you why...

No one refs. I know refs have lives and other things to do with their time, but let's face it, the forum battles have been barely active even since the new forum was just created. Even AIM battles have their bad points, since I get into battles and I never see a posting from the ref about the result, so any updating I do to my stats could be considering cheating and I wouldn't have an ounce of proof. Jack, you're just about the only one who reffed seriously just before the Proboards forum was shut down. So what's the result? Quite simple...

No one really bothers, excect for the new URPG members who think the URPG is active and then they get a slap in the face when they're realzing they're wasting their time. I'd hate to say at least 90% of the forum has completely stopped in innitiating forum battles, while that other 10% probably aren't aware of the situation. And even on AIM, it's still hell to get a willing ref. Problem is, they really don't care either. And to any ref that's reading this, you may be angry with me, but let's face it. You know and I know that you and other refs really haven't been active at all. Yes, I know you have school, band, sports, whatever, all I'm saying is that right now, there isn't anyone to ref. The URPG is frozen in a stasis, and people are losing interest because of it. Whether you want to continue being inactive, that's up to you.

But I agree with Shroomish, Raik, and mlugia. Shut down the forum battles page. There's no point to keeping it open, at least now. If things change, that's fine and it can open again, but I doubt that will happen.

koolcurtis
05-29-2004, 04:51 AM
I'll let everyone guess what I voted for. :cool:

boltAge
05-29-2004, 05:59 AM
NP, I do ref, just that I don't find any battlers when I'm open to. I usually ref when lesser people are online, because that's when I get more free time. But by then, nobody battles. And I'm not into reffing forum battles BECAUSE THE BATTLERS NEVER FINISH IT :rolleyes:

Phoenix004
05-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Yeah Boltage you used to ref. Nobody has reffed for about two months and there are dozens of battles which need reffing. Many of these battles (including the three I'm battling in) are now on the second page which none of the refs bother to check anyway. This is because so many people are starting battles and nobody is reffing them. Also, the spam you mentioned Boltage, it's mostly people asking for refs. I understand that reffing may take a long time and that refs have other things to do; but if none of you have the time to ref battles, then you shouldn't have become refs in the first place.
Personally I agree with NP, if you refs aren't coming online then you should close down the Forum battles.

Channel Delibird
05-29-2004, 03:33 PM
What the Forum Battles board really needs is a few refs who ONLY REF FORUM BATTLES. So, in order to get any reffing wages, they have to ref forum battles and therefore they can progess quickly. Just my two point three one recurring cents. =P

Kirin the Rebel
05-30-2004, 01:43 AM
I voted good, however, good does not mean great. The absent refs are a problem. But it is one that can be handled. Which is why I've been studying to be a ref and now await the opportunity to take a ref test... :twisted: .....now when that will occure, I don't know. :susp:

Magare
05-30-2004, 08:57 PM
I was against forum battles in the first place but people convinced me otherwise. Refs dont ref forum battles because most of them dont finish and all the work refs do goes away. I dont see why everyone cant get a messanger, if someone doesnt know where to download it, I'd be more than happy to e-mail it to you. And on aim I'm available to ref pretty much whenever I'm on, just that no one asks me to ref anymore :eh: ...

Kirin the Rebel
05-30-2004, 09:14 PM
I am NOT allowed to use any kind of IM on my computer. Don't ask, my parents are funny like that. I don't remember ever having to ask for a ref, but, Magare, I have three battles going....nowhere :cool: . Think you can ref them for me. There somebody asked you. :smile:

Magare
05-30-2004, 09:29 PM
I ment no one asks me to ref on aim anymore :razz: . I dont like reffing forum battles because when I ref one battle, its not fair if I dont ref the others too. And I'm to laisy to ref 15+ battles :biggrin:

PokemonElite2000
05-31-2004, 05:45 AM
After reading all the posts, I think most agree that we just need refs for the Forum Battles (many of the posts so far refer to refs as one of them problem). Of course it won't work without the refs, but if we have refs for it, it will work just fine. I've seen lep ref a dozen forum battles at a time in the past, it can't be a one man job.

When it does work, when there are refs actively participating, then it makes things easy for the battlers and refs. Battle when you want, and ref when you want.

Dratini
05-31-2004, 06:02 PM
I used to ref forum battles, but then I quit doing that. Half the time I'd ref a few turns and then have a person leave PE2K or just never come back to the battle. Like Rake pointed out, the battlers never finish the battles. :neutral: Somewhat annoying. Although I think it could work with new guidelines -- such as doing it on the forum, but only when all three people are there. But does that take away from the point? Mostly. Although, I think that should be used for "non-messanger people"s who use the Forum Battle System, and also for messanger people who use the Forum Battle System. I know would be able to do that, since I spend my life (almost always) near the computer anyway....x_x; And plus, there's almost always a ref online. Even if there isn't, there will have been sometime when you, your opponent, and a ref are all online at the same time before the battle finishes the current way we do forum battles. :ermm: Perhaps the only people this would not work with are ones who do forum battles due to time zone differences. People who battle here for that reason are rare anyway, but they could just state that is their reason in the thread and we could ref it like we do now ... slowly.

Bleh, the whole point of that is just that I think if battlers shouldn't make a forum battle unless they will stay the whole time. I'm sure there's 100 better ways to make sure of that though XD. I mean, I don't want to sound like I'm obsessed with actually finishing a battle so I can get some wages, but I would like it if half my forum reffing didn't go to waste. Since in my experience, that's what DOES happen to forum reffing a lot. :neutral: Although with a way to prevent that, I'm MORE than willing to ref forum battles. ....Hmm, my arguement brings on an interesting point. If more refs reffed it, and it went quicker, it'd be less likely for the battles to leave before it's over, yes? XD lol...well, then another problem is half the refs are in school and far too busy to be reffing a lot @_@. Like me, but school's over for the most part anyway. ^^

So yes, MAJOR reconstruction. :silly:

btw, NP, if you ever need a ref, I'm almost always willing. But no one EVER asks. People will ask one ref and then go to PE2K Chat moaning how no one will ref for them, and half the time there's at least 2 refs in there they've yet to ask. @_@ Not saying that's the case for you, but if that ever happens where you can't seem to find one, just ask me.

Tamer San
06-01-2004, 02:44 AM
I have to opinions:

1) GOOD: Because some players don't have a messenger and for some UNKNOWN reason they can't download one. So they have to play it the FORUM style.

2) BAD: Because it is just more reffing and it takes lotta days to finish just one battle (or maybe one round of a battle) while you can finish a 6v6 battle on a messenger with less than an hour (it depends on the trainers ofcourse, I mean NintendoFreak and Curtis will take more than an hour to finish a 6v6)

TropicalSnow
06-02-2004, 02:09 AM
:think:

I think the thing needs major reconstructing in that the battlers never finish the battle even if the refs do ref like many people have stated. Another problem id like ot bring up is that when one ref starts reffing a battle and never finishes it and other refs would get afraid that the ref that was supposedly reffing would get mad at them if they finished it and got the money. Thats my word on it. It's just really hard to work around.

Also if you made some refs stick to the forums they might get mad because the battles they would be reffing would never finish and when the monthly paycheck comes in you would be able to see that the refs that ref messenger would have made a whole lot more money.

Maybe you could just set a limit for a forum battle that if one person doesn't reply in - days or doesn't have a reason then the battle is over, the ref gets the money, and the winner is the person who was there even thought the battle didn't continue.

Once again thats my word on it.

Jack of Clovers
06-02-2004, 06:05 AM
nice discussion all. :biggrin:

now, this is the main reason for the down slide to forum battles: LACK OF REFS! back on the pe2k proboards forum, i was practically the only one reffing the battles then it got too much so i went to reffing 20+ battles every 3 days. other refs would post maybe once in a while for only one battle (generalization, i am not pointing blame at anyone). now, when the new pe2k forum was created here, the small number of forum battles were reffed by a wide variety and most of them finished. at the exact moment when the battles start to increase, ref activity decreases. there are simply too many battles, not enough refs. even when new refs were hired, they said 'i will ref the forum battles'. they start fine but slowly stop reffing. i think they stop because of the overwhelming number of battles. even myself, it's very tiring reffing that many just to keep everyone happy and the battles moving.
original idea: the forum battles was orinally for the members of URPG that didn't have messengers to battle over.
solution: decrease the number of battles by making the forum battles ONLY for people without messengers while the rest must battle over messenger. of course there will be rules to this {i have them in my head}.

comments to the solution? would anyone mind making forum battles only for those w/o messengers?

~Jack~

Tamer San
06-02-2004, 09:32 AM
Thats better Jack, because people with messengers have no excuse to battle on forum anyway!

boltAge
06-03-2004, 10:59 AM
nice discussion all. :biggrin:

now, this is the main reason for the down slide to forum battles: LACK OF REFS! back on the pe2k proboards forum, i was practically the only one reffing the battles then it got too much so i went to reffing 20+ battles every 3 days. other refs would post maybe once in a while for only one battle (generalization, i am not pointing blame at anyone). now, when the new pe2k forum was created here, the small number of forum battles were reffed by a wide variety and most of them finished. at the exact moment when the battles start to increase, ref activity decreases. there are simply too many battles, not enough refs. even when new refs were hired, they said 'i will ref the forum battles'. they start fine but slowly stop reffing. i think they stop because of the overwhelming number of battles. even myself, it's very tiring reffing that many just to keep everyone happy and the battles moving.
original idea: the forum battles was orinally for the members of URPG that didn't have messengers to battle over.
solution: decrease the number of battles by making the forum battles ONLY for people without messengers while the rest must battle over messenger. of course there will be rules to this {i have them in my head}.

comments to the solution? would anyone mind making forum battles only for those w/o messengers?

~Jack~
I won't mind that, neways. We should also have a "Ref of the month" or something award, prizes are money and stuff, so it encourages ref activity.

Tamer San
06-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Raik! Before having a ref activity we need members activity as well...I couldn't find anyone to ref for and thats kindda strange. It was way more active when there was school...and now with the summer vacation no one is active...strange -_-

Phoenix004
06-04-2004, 09:31 AM
I was against forum battles in the first place but people convinced me otherwise. Refs dont ref forum battles because most of them dont finish and all the work refs do goes away. I dont see why everyone cant get a messanger, if someone doesnt know where to download it, I'd be more than happy to e-mail it to you. And on aim I'm available to ref pretty much whenever I'm on, just that no one asks me to ref anymore :eh: ...

I feel I must point out that any time I ever asked for a ref for a Forum Battle, I was told to stop asking and that a ref would just ref my battles when they had the time. So I stopped asking. And now you are telling me to ask again? They might as well close down the Forum Battles now if it is so disorganised.
Also, if none of the refs are going to ref the Forum Battles, then why did they start up Forum Battles in the first place?
If the Forum Battles section can be made to work effectively, then it should stay. Otherwise, there is no point in keeping it.

boltAge
06-04-2004, 03:57 PM
I feel I must point out that any time I ever asked for a ref for a Forum Battle, I was told to stop asking and that a ref would just ref my battles when they had the time. So I stopped asking. And now you are telling me to ask again? They might as well close down the Forum Battles now if it is so disorganised.
If you're that observant to observe, he was talking about AIM, not Forum Battles.

Also, if none of the refs are going to ref the Forum Battles, then why did they start up Forum Battles in the first place?
It started out fine, but refs got inactive, and we're working on how to improve on this situation now.

If the Forum Battles section can be made to work effectively, then it should stay. Otherwise, there is no point in keeping it.
That's just what we're doing now: Trying to improve it. You ought to know that. :susp:

Shroomish
06-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Well, I've decided to ref some battles on the forums. I'm usually up late at night (like now) so I have nothing to distract me. (Unless PE2K Chat is crazy. O.o)
So yeah, I'll ref as much as I can every night or maybe dureing the day when no one's on. Just depends. But yeah, I'm tryin' to help all I can. :razz:

Also, question: Is it acceptable if I ref some in a battle that someone already started to ref? I know it used to be ok but I would just feel rude doing it so I want to make sure it's alright.