PDA

View Full Version : Is space infinated?

Bakura2004
05-29-2004, 12:12 AM
I want to know what you people think about this topic. I personaly don't belive that space strenches on forever. I just have a hard time beliving that anything can go on forever. As for what's at the end, I really never thought about that.

Tamer Marco
05-29-2004, 01:31 AM
I believe it's contracting. I believe that because of black holes. We'll never know how many there are and if they are really taking in space/planets but that's my opionon.

Agent Orange
05-29-2004, 01:37 AM
I try not to think of these things as they hurt my brain. I agree with Marco. I thisnk space is not ulimited.

// shattered-dreams //
05-29-2004, 03:49 AM
infinated isn't a word ;D

Ierdar
05-29-2004, 03:54 AM
Have you ever played mulitplayer on StarFox64? On the levels when you reach the boarder, you go to the other side. Think of it like that. :goofy:

well, I dont think of it like that, but meh. I dont know about strechting forever, but I dont know, its not impossible. =\

§hadow
05-29-2004, 04:11 AM
well I think so but in a way not a short anser is we will probobly never know.

Kenny_C.002
05-29-2004, 04:23 AM
Well the current hypothesis for space right now is that it's either expanding of contracting, and it is a cube/rectangular prism. This is due to the alignment of the stars that was observed.

Anyway, it seems to be just, but I still think something is missing...

Ironshell Blastoise
05-29-2004, 04:50 AM
I want to know what the **** is at the end. I don't see how there can be an end to something so massive. Where did the matter come from? Where does the universe end, if it does? Honestly, this is one of the fewest topics that hurts my head to think about, because I know what I'm thinking about, I just don't have an answer.

BTW, thank you Bakura for posting something worthwhile :confused:

DragonTamer
05-29-2004, 03:28 PM
It has to be. I mean, even if it has a shape and an end/edge, there's got to be something outside of it (like after you leave earth there's space) and then something outside that... and that... and now my head hurts. That's what I think anyway. It just goes on forever.

Crimson Spider
06-01-2004, 07:16 PM
The three planier dimensions of existance we live on is ever-expanding. Currently the composition of the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light. But as theorized by Albert Einstien, the universe will eventually slow down it's expansion, and then begin to shrink.

However, the light-matter composition that is actually tangible is set at a certain mass.

sdp
06-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Space is nothing so there is nothing after space. Space expands, so everything actually grows slowly apart from everything. Space also has no shape, mathematically there is no center. you can not reach the "end of space" because theres nothing, and nothing created space because space is nothing. Matter is what uses space.

If you are interested in this i suggest you buy some physics books, you learn a lot.

Steven
06-02-2004, 08:32 AM
I think that it is a kind of limitless sphere that connects on its ends, so if you go as far as you can left, you be on the right most, and if you go as far as you can up, you'll be on the bottom. I also remember something about things are made up of itself, except smaller. They looked at a mountain, then at the rocks on it, then at stones on that, then at pieces, and they were all shaped similar and pointed up kind of. What I mean is, Atoms are like solar systems, solar systems are like universes, and they all go around a mid point with things circiling around. I mean, think if you could become huge, and just keep on getting larger and larger... you wouldn't be able to become larger, and as for smaller, you can keep going smaller. I mean think about numbers. You can still have a positive number even if you halve yourself 100 times every second for a century... or if you doubled yourself, there is no end... very perplexing... Just thinking about it, it's like wondering if we are just on an atom on someone's shoe in a larger universe... You can't really percieve the whole hugeness of it all... What is there that's bigger than us? What is it all... What's it all mean, where did the existence of existence form? How could it get here from nothing, or was it always here? Thats quite strange wonderin what nothing was... What if there was an opposite of zero... maybe it sounds like rambling, but it's just so strange... How can it all be... why does it all happen and work... Maybe...

Alakazam
07-06-2004, 01:37 AM
Is space finite? Honestly, we'll never know. Since the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, it would not be possible to ever reach it's edge.

What's at the end of space? I, of course, don't know...but I do know what it's NOT. It couldn't be matter or space. If it were space, than it wouldn't be the end of space, would it? :rolleyes: It, therefore, must be something other than matter or space...

Seven
07-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Is space finite? Honestly, we'll never know. Since the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, it would not be possible to ever reach it's edge.

What's at the end of space? I, of course, don't know...but I do know what it's NOT. It couldn't be matter or space. If it were space, than it wouldn't be the end of space, would it? :rolleyes: It, therefore, must be something other than matter or space...

If space is expanding faster than light, wouldn't that mean it's expanding into the past...?
*intruiged*

Meh, like Steven, I think there's a fluidium.

caligal0224
08-05-2004, 05:26 PM
I've always pondered upon this question...I think space is infinite...but I too get a headache when thinking to hard about this kinda thing...I know what I think, I just have a hard time putting it into words. IMHO, this subject is too difficult for mankind to ever understand, it's just not something we can comprehend, we never will be able to either. :think:

Matthew
08-05-2004, 07:52 PM
If space is expanding faster than light, wouldn't that mean it's expanding into the past...?
*intruiged*

Meh, like Steven, I think there's a fluidium.

No it wouldn't -_-...

I think that the Universe is expanding infinitly... I guess. I tend to be optimistic in most cases, like this for example. and like people have said b4... we will never know in our lifetime because of spaces immensly garantuous size.It would take us a few years just to get to Mars in a space shuttle (I think... :susp:)

JoshE
08-18-2004, 09:12 PM
I try not to think of these things as they hurt my brain. I agree with Marco. I thisnk space is not ulimited.

Does that mean there is like a wall or something at the end lol! :goofy:

Matthew
08-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Things like this do hurt my brain as well XD... Have you guys ever thought about how you fall asleep WHILE you are trying to get to sleep XD... it keeps ya up forever... it is very annoying... I go crazy just typing about it XD...

It depends on whattheory you beleive in as well... ones like a god created the universe and it is just here, with boundries and stuff or the Big Banf theory where the universe is expanding away from a central point into an infinate ablyss :goofy: That hurt my head... XD.

Jhem
08-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Does that mean there is like a wall or something at the end lol! :goofy:
Yeah, and if there is an end.. what's beyond that end? complete nothingness? will you vaporize if you try to cross? CAN you cross? is is just endless solid material? ANy which you think of it, the universe never ends. It goes on infinitely. I dont think there's anything in the bible that mentions the length of the universe. But he sure doesn't say that it isn't infinite, it just says he created the heavens and the earth and the solar system.

if the universe IS limited, then outside of that limited area would have to be another limited area, maybe an area that contains infinitely many other universes. Liek I said, either way you look at it, it goes on forever.

My theory is that the universe is expanding, which is why it is a vacuum. As long as it is expanding, the pressure in the universe with continuously get thinner and thinner, meaning that the vacuum is always getting stronger, even though human instruments may not be able to detect that. And somebody mentioned something about the universe expanding faster than the speed of light?

Your idea is actually true... but not true as well. If there are aliens out there right now, and they are about 2,000 light years away and they were looking at us through a telescope, they would probably see jesus right now on earth. Although that is not actually happening, it IS happening where they're at. I believe than humans cannot actually go back in time, liek time travel, I believe that we can SEE into the past, if we were far enough away, that is.
Ahh, I'm tired. I need oreos for brain food