PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Portable

boltAge
05-29-2004, 01:40 PM
http://www.us.playstation.com/pressreleases.aspx?id=207
^^
Official website.
--

The PSP, IMO, looks so much better than DS... And take a look...

http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/sites/25/info/images/screen3.jpg

There's the UMD(Universal Media Disc), and the PSP. It's scheduled to release in America in Spring 2005, and late 2004 for Japan.

PSP and DS have about the same amount of developers working for them(DS has more, I think). PSP has better graphics, at the cost of more power needed.

neways, I'm getting the PSP, I think. Nintendo's systems failed to impress me, and the PSP looks hell cool. Discuss.

jj984jj
05-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Graphics isn't everything, Nintendo took all gaming aspects into account for the DS while Sony was busy trying to put movies on the PSP. The DS will be greater the PSP all the way, not only does it have more 3rd party developers, but Nintendo them-selves already have a very very nice line-up for it, I don't see much from Sony except GT4, MGA is from Konami and I think a MG game will end up on the DS anyway. The DS has good enough graphics, better then the 64 is good encough for me on a handheld, I don't need a Portable PS2 which is what the PSP is going to be, since it'll most likely just get a lot of PS2 games. They aren't even making a FF game for it yet, and with only 2.5 hours of battery life for a movie I really won't be buying any movies for it anyway. So far the DS pwns the PSP big time. The 2 screens are working they are playable, touch-screen is also working, and with wireless technology built in as well as 16 people being allowed to play at once even if they don't have the game you do is awesome. Then the price will be lower for the DS and it'll be coming out sooner then the PSP, another advantage, the list of advantages for thr DS goes on and on. Did you even see all the tech demos Gamespot has? The DS can do pretty much anything the PSP can do plus a whole lot more, the PSP has yet to impress me, graphics isn't everything especially on a handheld. The X-Box currently has the best graphics in the console wars, yet the best selling console is the PS2 with the worst graphics. I thought people would've realized the game library has the be good, not just the graphics.

Mechaflame
05-29-2004, 07:48 PM
I haven't seen the Playstation Portable before. That looks awesome! :biggrin:

Bashaamo
05-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Ha, I think you would look like more of a nerd with that. At least with DS you can hide it. And that big screen, get ready for some big scratches! I've had my SP for over a year and not 1 scratch on the screen! The clamshell design is catching on! And its way more innovative than PSP, PSP will probably go the same way as Gamegear, Pocket Color, Ngage, and the numerous others. When will they learn nintendo owns portable!

-Bash

*And BTW I am not biased because I have GCN and PS2 and I like PS2 a little more!

Shael
05-29-2004, 09:53 PM
I think I'm gonna wait 4 or 5 months after the two come out so I can compare the games they have (there might be a price drop then too). I got GC instead of PS2 because at the time GC had better games (All PS2 had were sports, kinda like what PSP has in development right now). The one thing I absolutely hate about Playstation is its directional pad...it's even worse than Sega's fat and chunky ones. Oh well, I'll see how everything turns out =)

SSJ Metallica
06-03-2004, 07:04 AM
I see that the PSP has a slick design, and that Universal Media Disk is a pretty good feature. I also like Nintendo DS's key feature, the double screen. Giving two different perceptions of one game. One screen look as if it were a GBA, and the other having between the standards of N64 and GC perception. With all that in mind, I'll get both when I get the money.

VenusaurTrainer
06-03-2004, 02:51 PM
One problem with the PSP is its possible to create roms for it. That will hurt the PSP sales.

boltAge
06-03-2004, 03:21 PM
One problem with the PSP is its possible to create roms for it. That will hurt the PSP sales.
From the PSP site:

"A broad range of digital entertainment content such as music video clips, movies and sports programs can be provided on UMD. To protect this entertainment content, a robust copyright protection system has been developed which utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, a 128 bit AES encryption keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit."

So no ROMs, kthx. Learn your stuff before talking, d00d.

--

Oh yeah, for people comparing DS and PSP, the PSP has wireless internet too. So, yeah.

VenusaurTrainer
06-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Also another bad thing is the PSP requires a memory card and the DS doesn't.

boltAge
06-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Dude, I don't want to see people coming into this thread just to put PSP down. You can grumble to your grandmommy about how PSP sucks for all I care, but if you come into this thread just to say "PSP IS BADDDD BECUZ ____", then I'd say scram.

Anyway, I would wonder if we could port our current CD's music into an empty UMD, because it'd be expensive if we were to buy a UMD filled with music every time we want to listen to some songs or music on the PSP. This looks somewhat like the N-gage, filled with lots of features, but lacking on the average.

SSJ Metallica
06-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Dude, I don't want to see people coming into this thread just to put PSP down. You can grumble to your grandmommy about how PSP sucks for all I care, but if you come into this thread just to say "PSP IS BADDDD BECUZ ____", then I'd say scram.

Anyway, I would wonder if we could port our current CD's music into an empty UMD, because it'd be expensive if we were to buy a UMD filled with music every time we want to listen to some songs or music on the PSP. This looks somewhat like the N-gage, filled with lots of features, but lacking on the average.Yeah, that'd be awesome. Then it'll be like a walkman and a portable video gaming system in one, giving me another reason in getting this as well. :cool:

Also another bad thing is the PSP requires a memory card and the DS doesn't.That's true, but like Raik said, don't be so pessimistic about the PSP. :wink:

jj984jj
06-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Anyway, I would wonder if we could port our current CD's music into an empty UMD, because it'd be expensive if we were to buy a UMD filled with music every time we want to listen to some songs or music on the PSP. This looks somewhat like the N-gage, filled with lots of features, but lacking on the average.
I think we do have our right to state our opinion about it, whether good or bad. You don't seem to be stopping this is the DS thread, why just here?

boltAge
06-04-2004, 02:36 PM
I think we do have our right to state our opinion about it, whether good or bad. You don't seem to be stopping this is the DS thread, why just here?
Eh, I only said that thing ought to have a protective cover, nothing more, so kthx.

And btw, that ain't my thread, so I can't do a carp about it, but you're talkin' in my thread now, so would I deserve some respect as the thread-starter? =/ And do you see anybody walking into the DS thread just to say "OMFG THAT THING SUCKS, IT _____", "THAT THING IS BAD BECUZ _____". No? So people who want to do that anywhere(Includes here) STFU.

kthx.

--

Anyway, I wonder where are the L1L2R1R2 buttons. Probably on the top of the PSP, but it doesn't seem to be there neways. *too lazy to check the w3bbi3*

jj984jj
06-05-2004, 06:00 AM
Eh, I only said that thing ought to have a protective cover, nothing more, so kthx.

And btw, that ain't my thread, so I can't do a carp about it, but you're talkin' in my thread now, so would I deserve some respect as the thread-starter? =/ And do you see anybody walking into the DS thread just to say "OMFG THAT THING SUCKS, IT _____", "THAT THING IS BAD BECUZ _____". No? So people who want to do that anywhere(Includes here) STFU.

kthx.

--

Anyway, I wonder where are the L1L2R1R2 buttons. Probably on the top of the PSP, but it doesn't seem to be there neways. *too lazy to check the w3bbi3*
People haa been saying that there, or I wouldn't of pointed anything out idiot.
Anyway, no, as a thread starter doesn't give you any different rights over it at all, I don't think I have more rights of the DS thread because I started it, that's plain redicilous and you have a bogus mind if you think differently.

Steven
06-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Wow... pretty lame. Looks like a playstation controller (which has never changed :susp:) with a TV on it... as for the Double Screen (DS)...

The NDS has a touch screen, two ports, one for upgrades (otherwise known as the GBA cartrige place) so you can have either a GBA game in there or a memory card like thing, the second one is for the DS games. Both screens have lights for in the dark, a built in wireless thing that comes with fr/lg and it folds over to protect from scratches. Rechargable batteries, double screens, for better game play, and a larger variety of games, internet access, and is still small with two processers for faster speed and can even process 3-D graphix. There are even some more things I frogot to include, but that sounds pretty darn good to me... I got it off nintendo's E3 site for the DS, I'll post the link when I find it again if anyone wants...

Shael
06-06-2004, 04:23 PM

That could be a good thing or a bad thing. If you lose the game itself you still have all the info stored on the memory card so you don't need to start over or get back all those hard earned levels or stuff. But if you lose the memory card you're basically screwed on all your games >.<