PDA

View Full Version : Mario 128?

pokemon fan
05-31-2004, 05:02 AM
In a recent interview with gamespy, Shigeru Miyamoto, famed creator of Mario, Donkey Kong And Link hinted that he's not sure on which platform Mario 128 will end up on.

Describing the progress of the game's development so far as "moving along secretly like a submarine under the water" -so at least we know it does exist!

According to Miyamoto, there are currently a number of experiments going on with the various platforms to test for suitability of the ne software and mysterious revolutionary ideas that have been hinted at throughout the game's secretive devlopment cycle.

Miyamoto is currently awaiting the results of the tests to determine which platform will end up with what is fast becoming one of the gaming worlds' best-kept secrets.

Mechaflame
05-31-2004, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the information, pokemon fan! I love Mario!
I actually didn't know Mario 128 was coming out... :oops:

Bakura2004
05-31-2004, 02:39 PM
Isn't that a stage in SSBM?

Ironshell Blastoise
05-31-2004, 09:47 PM
Meh, go back to 2d mario with mushrooms, fireflowers, and jumping on stuff. 3d Mario is ghey =[

VenusaurTrainer
06-01-2004, 12:26 AM
I kinda liked the 3D marios, but I wish they would go back to the old school style though.

jj984jj
06-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally this was a tech demo only.

Of all the demos previewed at Spaceworld, the Mario 128 Demo was arguably the most complete display of GameCube's processing abilities. Narrated by Miyamoto and manipulated in real-time by a fellow Nintendo employee, Mario 128 "played" on a small theater screen with the total attention of the pre-show press crowd. In classic Mario fashion, a dwarfed "8-bit" Mario jogged to the center of the screen with the help of the ol' Super Mario Bros. tune. Immediately, the view becomes three-dimensional as the sprite "lies down" on a circular "Monopoly-style" plate, revealing that our plumber was made of many colored blocks (or "cubes", if you insist). Near the bottom of the screen was a green bar that "measured" a percentage of GameCube resources. Currently, about one-fourth of this meter was green, and the visuals ran at 60 frames-per-second. If the bar was completely green, that indicates Gamecube was being pushed to its limits, and the on-screen graphics would be running at around 30 fps, according to Mr. Miyamoto.

"Yippee!" said the tiny 3D-rendered Mario that appeared from gawd-knows-where under one of the blocks. At this instant, a number "1" is seen at the top of the screen. Mario runs over to another block, picks it up and -- "Yippee!" -- another Mario, and a number "2". Both Marios run off, snatching more blocks -- "Yahoo! Wah-haah!" -- 3, 4 of them now... 8, 16, 20 of them.... 32, 48 -- 64 derranged and independent little-- but it didn't stop there... Eventually, there were 128 of them.

128 rendered, lighted, anti-aliased, 700-polygon Marios, complete with AI and collision detection, painted a "cutesy" picture of chaos. The 3D model for Mario wasn't all that impressive, as it looks like he can easily be rendered on a Dreamcast, but the big difference here was there were so many of them. Marios running around; Marios rolling around; Marios tossing blocks off the plate; Marios shoving Marios off the plate -- neverminding the anarchy, this scene had all the elements of a gameplay environment: polygonal objects & characters, sound, AI, physics -- and the little meter at the bottom was only 1/3 full, with the action still running at 60 fps. Impressive, yes? ...and it goes on further, heh.

Then later on IGN released an article about it becoming a full game.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/425/425210p1.html & http://cube.ign.com/articles/490/490978p1.html

But other then that no more information is known about the game.

Mechaflame
06-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks jj984jj! :biggrin:

Kenny_C.002
06-02-2004, 04:12 AM
Mecha, that's 1 and a half words man.

Anyway, there's a Mario 64*4 coming out on Nintendo DS, but I'm never sure on anything about Mario. And GCN Marios just waste time...

pokemon fan
06-02-2004, 04:15 AM
Hey this might be a sequal to super mario 64 because 64 + 64 =128 anyway that is just a thought nintendo says they might release mario 128 with the N5 the DS or the gamecube. The N5 is nintendo's next home system. Nintendo also announced that they will be showing off their new N5 at next years E3. :biggrin:

VenusaurTrainer
06-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Hey this might be a sequal to super mario 64 because 64 + 64 =128 anyway that is just a thought nintendo says they might release mario 128 with the N5 the DS or the gamecube. The N5 is nintendo's next home system. Nintendo also announced that they will be showing off their new N5 at next years E3. :biggrin:

I hope Mario 128 comes out for the Gamecube. Because I don't want to buy a new system so soon.

Ironshell Blastoise
06-03-2004, 02:48 AM
Nintendumb needs to figure out the concept of console-backwards compatibility. Those bastards :susp:

LuigiWithCheese
06-03-2004, 03:54 PM
This is old news for me, but I am so going to geet it for all the things I missed on the N64! :clap:

Bashaamo
06-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Meh, go back to 2d mario with mushrooms, fireflowers, and jumping on stuff. 3d Mario is ghey =[

I agree! 3D mario sux! I don't want to collect stars and race penguins, or explore a castle.

Dammit I want to jump on koopas and race to the finish line!

-Bash