PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol gas

King Zark
09-05-2006, 11:44 AM
If we as people of Earth did what brazil did 85% eth and 15% gas to fuel our cars.

Wouldn't that lower gas prices and slow down global warming?

What are the pros and cons of this?

Neo Emolga
09-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I honestly don't see why we don't do this. It would make the USA less dependant on the Middle East for fuel, so we wouldn't have to worry about the money we spend on it funding terrorist activities.

I'm all for it, its about time we find an alternate energy source. The only problem is Bush is too ignorant, stupid, and selfish, as he has plenty of money invested in oil. We wouldn't be looking at this until he gets out of office, which won't be for another year. We've already started with it in the western states but I'm hoping it won't be long before the whole country uses it.

Kenny_C.002
09-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Considering ethanol can be used in a more profitable way (i.e. alcohol), it's rather difficult to so called "waste ethanol" on gasoline.

I actually don't know the costs of ethanol production, so I can't really comment on that. However, to say that this slows down global warming isn't exactly true either. It helps pretty much only with the junk that comes with exhaust (e.g. sulfur), but doesn't technically reduce water and carbon dioxide exhaust, which are the main contributions to global warming.

Sleepy Sheep
09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I heard we could just make fuel form corn oil. Simple, simple.

RedRoninMan
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
There arent any sufficent cons except the fact that the gas monguls lose all there money:rolleyes: I hate to say it but Al Gore is right about everything.(on the subject of global warming that is.)

Dakota
09-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Americans won't do this for 3 reasons

We didn't think of it: Meaning we'll instantly hate the idea.

It takes commitment and change: That's way, way, too much to ask.

It's telling us what to do: People should be allowed to pay extra money for gas and kill the economy if they want to.

America in a nutshell.

Kenny_C.002
09-06-2006, 02:54 AM

It's telling us what to do: People should be allowed to pay extra money for gas and kill the economy if they want to.

America in a nutshell.
Pretty much a summary of it all. lol

I just remembered that HK taxis use this mixture to reduce air pollution (since ethanol combusts only to CO2 and H2O with no residue like regular gasoline). Very good idea for a city that employs so many taxis. And yeah, it's a rather dramati change to change all the engines to become compatible...

Edit: Oh yeah, BRAZIL! Brazil has already implemented this. XD

Dakota
09-06-2006, 11:53 AM
If we somehow did decide to change to it, it wouldn't happen within the next 10 years...

!CeMAn
09-06-2006, 11:38 PM

America in a nutshell.
He's not wrong.

Neo said it, it's greed. Oil and gasoline, diesel, whatever, these fuels bring in way too much money and there is already so much invested in it. To convert the entire planet, even if gradually over decades, means mulitple billions of dollars not going into certain people's pockets.
...that instant gratification is more important than the decomposing earth we live on.

Harsh, but welcome to Earth.

King Zark
09-12-2006, 11:30 PM
He's not wrong.

Neo said it, it's greed. Oil and gasoline, diesel, whatever, these fuels bring in way too much money and there is already so much invested in it. To convert the entire planet, even if gradually over decades, means mulitple billions of dollars not going into certain people's pockets.

Harsh, but welcome to Earth.

Think about it if its 15% gas and 85% ethanol that means that people will travel.

1 gas company has 1 gallon before they go out of business.

1 gallon -Cost to get 2.50-75 $3
or they can have
6-7 gallons and sell at cost to get 50 cents- 1 dollar?$2

6.75 gallons= 7 dollar profits?
1 gallon equal=1 dollar profit?

I don't knwo what's real profit.

Also it will increase mart shop renvenues!
Most peopel dun't go inside the shops jsut because they spend so much money on gas.

How much more profit will be made?
Ethanol will increase demand for corn and other product with high ethanol yield.

InvertrevnI
09-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Read this, how about? (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/ethanol-10-06/overview/1006_ethanol_ov1_1.htm)

Alonso
09-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Think about it if its 15% gas and 85% ethanol that means that people will travel.

1 gas company has 1 gallon before they go out of business.

1 gallon -Cost to get 2.50-75 $3
or they can have
6-7 gallons and sell at cost to get 50 cents- 1 dollar?$2

6.75 gallons= 7 dollar profits?
1 gallon equal=1 dollar profit?

Wow...how long did it take to start calculating profits and things. I'm to lazy read that and try to understand it.

Well I think you guys concluded all that is need to be said. The oil business is such a big industry in the US that they won't change to ethanol and with Bush around you can forget it. I saw the Brazilian ethanol cars and the fact that there are Ford factories over there on CNN a few months ago. People grow their fuel :happy:. But it would be hard to change it all to ethanol cars and stations:sad:. This transition won't just happen overnight. So I guess it's too bad. And as for global warming we are all screwed on that part.

dsgeek100
09-14-2006, 05:17 AM
Pretty much a summary of it all. lol

I just remembered that HK taxis use this mixture to reduce air pollution (since ethanol combusts only to CO2 and H2O with no residue like regular gasoline). Very good idea for a city that employs so many taxis. And yeah, it's a rather dramati change to change all the engines to become compatible...

Edit: Oh yeah, BRAZIL! Brazil has already implemented this. XD
ethenol is cheap, and the corn that you process is grown agian on the same field,meaning that that it is waaaay more easy on the enviornment,but always remeber that they might cut down the rainforests just to make corn feilds,therefore releasing all the carbon in the rainforest (alot)

I have to say this is much better than oil though (one gallon of oil=10 acres of pre-historic plant life,mostly swamp and rainforest)...thats alot of carbon, the amount of co2 you emit is a little less than 2 times heavier than the petrolieum thanks to the oxegen that binds with the carbon to make the co2

Kenny_C.002
09-14-2006, 01:08 PM
ethenol is cheap, and the corn that you process is grown agian on the same field,meaning that that it is waaaay more easy on the enviornment,but always remeber that they might cut down the rainforests just to make corn feilds,therefore releasing all the carbon in the rainforest (alot)

Keep in mind that the "same field" cannot be reused over and over again with corn. Corn requires a nitrogen-intensive field to grow quickly, and at most you can grow corn in cycles between legume plants and corn (usually it's several years of corn, and one year of legume plants). However, even in this condition, the fertiilizer required isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

Also be aware that rainforest cutting has been slowing down rather than speeding up due to many factors coming into play. I have no idea by "therefore releaseing all the carbon in the rainforest", since by all technicalities rainforest cutting means that the trees are being cut for other purposes such as making paper. You can argue that this will eventually make it a carbon source but generally speaking this is relatively insignificant compared to the loss of oxygen production and CO2 uptake.

I have to say this is much better than oil though (one gallon of oil=10 acres of pre-historic plant life,mostly swamp and rainforest)...thats alot of carbon, the amount of co2 you emit is a little less than 2 times heavier than the petrolieum thanks to the oxegen that binds with the carbon to make the co2

By all means thinkwhat you will. But remember that ethanol is also a carbon source. You are literally replacing one carbon source with another of a lighter molecular weight. The only reason why ethanol is "better" is because it has a lower percent composition of carbon compared to petro and doesn't contain contaminants such as sulfur, but it still does not solve the problem of greenhouse gases anyway. Also remember that the combustion energy of petro and ethanol are not the same, and this is another thing to remember.

InvertrevnI
09-14-2006, 10:08 PM
ethenol is cheap,
Ahem...

With the retail pump price of E85 averaging $2.91 per gallon in August, according to the Oil Price Information Service, which tracks petroleum and other fuel prices, a 27 percent fuel-economy penalty means drivers would have paid an average of $3.99 for the energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline.

Source (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/ethanol-10-06/overview/1006_ethanol_ov1_1.htm)

whitedragon8903
09-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Obviously, for us as consumers, ethanol gas is the way to go, but look at it from a government standpoint. But what about the car company, who says they aren't in with ONIC?

Kenny_C.002
09-18-2006, 03:31 AM
Obviously, for us as consumers, ethanol gas is the way to go, but look at it from a government standpoint. But what about the car company, who says they aren't in with ONIC?

See:
Ahem...

With the retail pump price of E85 averaging $2.91 per gallon in August, according to the Oil Price Information Service, which tracks petroleum and other fuel prices, a 27 percent fuel-economy penalty means drivers would have paid an average of $3.99 for the energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline.

Source (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/ethanol-10-06/overview/1006_ethanol_ov1_1.htm)

How is this "ethanol is the way to go for consumers"? We're paying MORE.