PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Smeargle Thief

Closet Nerd
09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi

I've leveled up a female smeargle to level 41 and have used her as the perfect pokemon catching machine

she knows

spore
false swipe
mean look

and for her fourth sketch I want her to learn Thief (so I can more easily find a thick club, lucky egg etc...)

Does anyone here know if/how I can do this??

All help will be appreciated

Ultima Shadow
09-13-2006, 09:50 AM
EDIT: Wrong forum, sorry.

Shady
09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Even though this really should be in the Pokemon: General Board,

I don't think any pokemon in the game has theif, I think you have too teach it too smeargle through a tm (if this is for G/S/C then i have no idea.)

Rohypnol
09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
i dont think smeargle can learn an TM's.:oops: :oops: :oops:

DaRkUmBrEoN
09-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Does anyone here know if/how I can do this??
All help will be appreciated

Yo Closet Nerd,

Well, I'd say find a friend with a compatible game, so you can link to each other. If you own a compatible game yourself and have a second GameBoy, you can try to link with yourself.

Get Thief on another mon, doesn't matter what kind of mon, and go the link battle room. There, battle each other, and have the other mon use Thief. If the Smeargle is slower, you can use it in the same turn. If Smeargle isn't slower, you can use it the turn after it. Sketch Thief and Smeargle can get you those rare items.

That's all there is to it.

Closet Nerd
09-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanx-But can Smeargle sketch a move in a private match-I thought he could only sketch off of wild pokemon.

I also tried running into a wild ditto, bring out the 'mon who knows thief (in my case a Tyrogue), Ditto transformed into him then I switched to Smeargle. Ditto as expected used thief against me, but when I tried to sketch it, it said that it didn't affect Ditto.

So can smeargle not sketch a ditto?

DaRkUmBrEoN
09-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanx-But can Smeargle sketch a move in a private match-I thought he could only sketch off of wild pokemon.

I also tried running into a wild ditto, bring out the 'mon who knows thief (in my case a Tyrogue), Ditto transformed into him then I switched to Smeargle. Ditto as expected used thief against me, but when I tried to sketch it, it said that it didn't affect Ditto.

So can smeargle not sketch a ditto?

As far as I know, Smeargle can sketch anyone, anywhere.

The problem could be speed. If you used Sketch before Ditto used Thief, there could be problems. You need to be sure that he knows the move, and that you're either slower or faster.

Rohypnol
09-13-2006, 07:47 PM
I personally wouldnt use smeargle. but i have to be careful of what is say. i just gave Eder Franco a verbal thrashing after he called me stupid.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Closet Nerd
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
you mean you wouldn't use him ever? or just not in this situation. I don't know if you read my pre-amble but I'm using smeargle as the ultimate pokemon catcher-giving him the best tools possible b/c of his unique ability. Of course I would Never use him in a battle or tournament or whatever.

But if you meant there's a better way to find a thick club, lucky egg I'm all open for new/possibly better ideas.

And to answer your question Umbreon-it wasn't a matter of speed (obviously I was either faster or slower than the ditto) the message that came up said that Ditto wasn't affected by the move-the same message that comes up if you were to say...use thunder against a Donphan or body slam against a Haunter. So I dont know, does anybody know if it's possible to sketch a ditto?

I know that's a couple questions-but Thick club and Lucky Egg are obviously worth the effort so I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Rohypnol
09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
i forgot about your pre-amble. for me i would just get if put it the pc and forget about it.:biggrin: but since you want it to be the ultimate catching pokemon that probably is a good idea.:biggrin:

!CeMAn
09-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Anybody know Gym Leader's Movesets?
Maybe somebody in the game has a pokemon with Thief, you could Sketch.

The easiest way is probably a Link Battle.

Missingno mystery
09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
As far as I know, Smeargle can sketch anyone, anywhere.

Well you obviously then no nothing about Smear. You can ONLY use sketch on wild Pokemon, TRUST ME, I already try'd all of what you said years ago. Never works, it just says "didn't affect opponent". As for Ditto, I haven't try'd that before, mostly because all the things I wanted to sketch would kill my Smear. There was actually another strategy someone else used that worked, that is similar to what you want here, but it was for the new games and involved 2 vs 2 battling. Personally, I didn't think any one still played these old games anymore, guess I was wrong there.

FireBrawl Latios
09-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Suggestion: take part in an ingame double battle with a your Mightyena (with Thief; it learns it via level up) and Smeargle. Mightyena use Thief, Smeargle Sketch Mightyena.

It works. My Smeargle Sketched my Kyogre for Sheer Cold

!CeMAn
09-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Suggestion: take part in an ingame double battle with a your Mightyena (with Thief; it learns it via level up) and Smeargle. Mightyena use Thief, Smeargle Sketch Mightyena.

It works. My Smeargle Sketched my Kyogre for Sheer Cold
Hi, new trainer.
Welcome to the GSC/ RBY Board :goofy:. No double battles in either of those games.

Closet Nerd
09-15-2006, 06:13 AM
ok...so then, summing up-Can smeargle absolutely NOT learn thief in the CRYSTAL version of the game? I'm getting a second gameboy in a few days so I guess I'll find out for myself-but really just tapping into all the experience on this site would be much more useful (or at least I thought)

Closet Nerd
09-15-2006, 06:15 AM
ANd in a related question-can someone explain the whole Mew can learn any move in the game by utilizing some kind of transform/sketch combo? What's all that about-I don't even understand that.

ZadokRox
09-15-2006, 02:37 PM
ANd in a related question-can someone explain the whole Mew can learn any move in the game by utilizing some kind of transform/sketch combo? What's all that about-I don't even understand that.

Mew can learn any TM/HM move plus any Move Tutor move. However, Mew can't learn Sketch so it can't learn every move, though in 'Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness', if you upload Mew onto the game, there is a way to teach Mew moves from a list of around 100 moves. Link (http://www.serebii.net/xd/mew.shtml)

Rohypnol
09-15-2006, 05:27 PM
i think if you really want smeargle to learn theif do a link battle like everyone said.:oops: saves alot of trouble.:oops:

Closet Nerd
09-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I got THICK CLUB!!! Smeargle was so good at catching pokemon anyway that I just went into the rock tunnel during the daytime w/ about 50 poke balls and started catching cubones/marowaks wholesale. I filled up two boxes before I finally found a Marowak w/ it's most treasured item. Thief ended up not working that well anyway as cubone's/marowak's are prone to fleeing. So Stoked! Thanx for everyone's help/advice. Now onto...LUCKY EGG!

-Peace

!CeMAn
09-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Aight,
There's some little trick in GSC(don't wanna say glitch), where by using Transform, and gaining the attacks of the copied pokemon(in this case, SMEARGLE), Mew can use Sketch and copy another pokemon's attack. Sketch is a permanent effect, so even after the battle, Mew will retain the move. I think it'll work for ditto aswell... :ermm:

The same thing can occur through Metronome, with any pokemon. Sketch can pop up when you use Metronome, and if it does, you've got another permanent attack that will replace(i think) Metronome.

This stuff is known as the Super Smeargle Trick.
Essentially, most pokemon can become just like smeargles(using any attack in the game), but with much better stats to go with them.

I'm probably off with something i said. I've only read about this trick a little because it seemed like an awful lot of work, so i never bothered.
I'll find a link or something for ya'll...