PDA

View Full Version : I'm not trying to bash Duel Monsters but...

Bakura2004
06-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Duel Masters seems like a big rip-off of MTG. Don't get me wrong though, I think the game is pretty cool.

Pidgeot79
06-06-2004, 05:56 PM
You mean Duel Masters or are you talking about Yu-Gi-Oh's nickname Duel Monsters.

Kenny_C.002
06-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Technically Duel Masters is a hybrid of pokemon and M:tG. You have to know that DM is also made by Wizards of the Coast, so similarities will exist between the games.

Things taken from magic:
- mana production
- most phases
- attacking directly is possible
- tapping
- blocking
- casting spells cost mana
- 5 colours: Blue, Black, Red, Green, White
- similarities between allied colours (White and Black are both allied colours to blue, and they are the only colours with blocking)
- colour ruling similar to magic (e.g. Black has discard, blue has bounce, red has burn, white has protection, green has pump)
- follows the colour wheel completely (no need for MORE work!)

Taken from pokemon:
- creature attacking (aka you can attack creatures)
- everything sorcery speed
- attack phase is last
- just creatures and "trainer" spells
- shields/shield trigger

So yeah, it's a rip-off with almost no originality at all.

The Elite Ygseto
06-07-2004, 08:12 PM
But it sure is fun! :tongue:

Shael
06-07-2004, 09:00 PM
It was fun, until they came out with 500 billion cards that have effects so specific that if the text is enlarged to 12 point font it could fill up 3 pages in Microsoft Word.

I was exaggerating just a tad =P

Agent Orange
06-07-2004, 09:02 PM
It is a complete rip off. I always hated it, always will.

Zero
06-08-2004, 01:16 AM
The show is most horribly tasteless and I cant realy say that I prefer the card game either (I'd rather stick with trying to uncomplicate the M:TG rules.)

Kenny_C.002
06-08-2004, 03:25 AM
One has to understand the actual role of Duel Masters. It's MADE to be a transition between YGO/pkmn to M:tG, so the obvious similarities are there.

As I say, the lack of permission spells pisses me off badly.

Jet
06-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Duel Masters is sort of a rip off of Duel Monsters too... look at the name =P... also, look at the form and shape of the monsters... YGO-ish like too...

I'm not going to take interest in this TCG... for crying out loud... I'm playing 4 TCGs; MTG, Pokemon, YGO, and Magi-Nation (whose last expansion set was last 2002, and nobody here has ever heard of it =P)... maybe even 5 if the .hack cards ever come out here =P... Duel Masters has no originality... so yech =P

Pidgeot79
06-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Who cares if it ripped off somebody else.As long its a good game.

Agent Orange
06-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Duel Masters is sort of a rip off of Duel Monsters too... look at the name =P... also, look at the form and shape of the monsters... YGO-ish like too...

I'm not going to take interest in this TCG... for crying out loud... I'm playing 4 TCGs; MTG, Pokemon, YGO, and Magi-Nation (whose last expansion set was last 2002, and nobody here has ever heard of it =P)... maybe even 5 if the .hack cards ever come out here =P... Duel Masters has no originality... so yech =P

LOL, my friend is insane about Magi-Nation.

Cards, Games, ect.

Sutiivun
06-08-2004, 10:18 PM
I think Duel Masters is a rip-off like no other. It has no originality and I mean look at all of the TCG's people are playing right now. Who would want to make room for a rip-off of the card game they are currently playing?

Kenny_C.002
06-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Teachnically the game's still too young yo pas judgement YET. But from its looks, it's likely staying as a crappy rip-off...

Sutiivun
06-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Yes, but the expectation for this game is dropped. What new thing could you do that Pokemon, M:TG, or YGO hasn't done yet? Nothing really.... :confused:

Kenny_C.002
06-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Well technically the most important factor here is that the pokemongame promotes quicker kills (e.g. YOU get the prizes). So Duel Masters is more like a fix than an actual new game, which is disappointing.

Scorch Ry
06-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Everyone has their own opinions about this. I disagree with you all. From what I heard, millions of people joined Magic because of YGO. Me, I would never play that Magic: The Gathering game because it looks too confusing. I tried to learn, but never did. But, YGO does have differences than PKM and M:TG, so you guys should also put the difference it has instead of putting down the MOST POPULAR trading card game around these times. Got that? :evil:

Magare
06-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Magic: The Gathering looks too confusing. I tried to learn, but never did. But, YGO does have differences

Exactly, the difference is that YGO is a far simplified MTG. It took me 5 minutes to learn how to play YGO and it took me months to learn everything about magic. Dont get me wrong, you can learn the basics in a day, but there are so many little things in magic it makes your head spin (and obviously yours did :wink: ).

the MOST POPULAR trading card game

Sorry, but Magic: The Gathering has the upper hand there. When YGO has a 500 people tournament with people from all over the world and the prize of over 1000 $, I'll admit its more popular than magic...

Kenny_C.002
06-09-2004, 10:13 PM
I'd have to say that M:tG here plays rather more difficult to the people considering the game itself is always changing/breaking rules left and right. I mean, there's just so many rules and so many rules broken that people decide just not to bother with it nowadays. YGO, on the other hand, plays easily and hasn't changed much in the past. I mean, the ONLY things confusing in YGO are a) targetting (which in fact, only like 20 cards in total actually target in YGO) and b) priority (so the active player plays a monster and can activate AND resolve the monster's effect before the effect of the CHAINED ability takes place?).

Also, the fact that YGO just doesn't have an R&D to support them, along with Pro Tours and decent Regionals (experience here, the judges HELP ppl CHEAT. I mean, the best of the best at the local mall-those who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars into their decks-are bested by little kids playing skull servants? It's like the judges purposely MAKE the kids win or something...btw, true story.). I'm just saying, the Regionals in YGO will never pick up, neither will Pro Tours or any sort of non-local tourneys.

ANYWAY, is Duel Masters going to have Regionals/PTs also?

Scorch Ry
06-10-2004, 08:39 PM
Well, Magic: The Gathering looks confusing. But since I learned Duel Monsters easily, that should make it easier for me to learn M:TG. But, YGO won't have regionals...maybe in five years or so if it is still out.

The Elite Ygseto
06-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't think DuelMasters has PT/Regoinals but they are gonna go with Sactioned events and more booster drafts.

Kenny_C.002
06-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah. I heard from the YGO ppl who thought MTG was confusing that it was less confusing after learning Duel MAsters. I guess since it's not all thrown at you at once, that's why it was easier.

Well Sanctioned events and booster drafs are the first step to PT/Regionals! :P

The Elite Ygseto
06-11-2004, 01:35 AM
I learned M:TG befor any other TGC. I personally think it's easy once you get the basics down, you just do what the card says.

BTE are PTs/Regonials good or bad?

Kenny_C.002
06-11-2004, 02:04 AM
No. They're good once things get up and running. PTs and Regionals too early might hurt the game a little tho. Either way, if PTs and Regionals are good (I'm not doubting Wizards' ability to host good Regionals and PTs), then it'll attract more ppl definitely. It's a good thing to have more ppl playing.