PDA

View Full Version : TVT's Sprite Aid Question Seminar

TVTMaster
09-23-2006, 06:56 PM
TVT's Sprite Aid Question Seminar
A entertaining guide to really index "Frequently Asked"(not to mention frequently needed) Questions.

.............Thank you for attending this seminar, people of PE2K. Here I will answer your questions on sprite work. As a quick note: All those here who wish to get their sprites rated are in the wrong building. Please exit to the rear. I'm here to answer questions about forms of spriting, spriting techniques, spriting rules, and to help aspiring spriters to graduate out of n00b stage. If you wish, I can assign you homework that can be sent to me via PM for grading according to the question sections here. Those experienced spriters and members may feel free to "ask" important questions that you feel new or bad spriters need to know. Since I'm pretending to have this take place in an auditorium, your posted questions will be fictionalized and pasted into the seminar's first post. If you would wish to have your question affect the gag and run storyline of this seminar, please notify me of actions you would wish your"self" to perform in this topic. Appearances of your character to be described in the seminar are welcomed. I'm aiming for a sticky once I have some decent questions up here, so fire away!

(I'm not going to bump the old one again. Could some experienced spriters ask some questions that would help n00bs out, at least?)

Reposing- Question by LatiasLover
A girl raised her hand. The patterning on her shirt showed her to be a Latias fan. "Yes? Name and question please." "LatiasLover, and how do you do reposes?" "Well, I've never done a repose myself, but I've come dang close to it. Reposes are mixes taken one step too far--- eliminating all evidence of the other pokemon but the pose. Obviously, you wouldn't want to pose a Vulpix as a Scyther, because the pose doesn't make for anything a Vulpix would have in it's right mind. Depending on your skill level, you can turn almost any base into a reposed pokemon. Say we wanted to pose Ninetales as a Gold version Espeon. The first step would be to size up the proportion. You obviously couldn't pose a giant-headed Skitty as a Caterpie if you were copying and pasting. It's important to know how to do minor scratching. Reposing, like mixing, often requires you to scratch parts that would be out of proportion otheriwse. If you're not confident in your scratching ability, then you should try to pose things as things closer to the shape and pose of your original sprite. Reposing is mixing a step too far, so it's quite easy to make a repose when you mean to make a mix. I've had to redo again and again because of that mistake. If you're really trying to repose, do a mix first, and then repose when you see opputunity."

Mixing- Question by eeveebrothers
A guy surrounded by Eeveelutions raised his hand. "Name and question?" "Eeveebrothers, and how do you do mixes?" "Well, that's an easy question to answer. As a future note, could I have a few questions on techniques, sprite problems, and etcetera rather than sprite types? Now for your question: Mixing is usually quite funny, but many n00bs see that as the only purpose and put no work into it. A good idea is not to do mixes other people have already done (i.e, Pikamew or Rayquazatwo), so that people will be able to give you crit based on their opinion rather than other instances of the same sprite. Newbies to mixing should remember the basic rules of mixing, including the no-jpg rule (no bmp either, use .PNG at the end of the title if on an old computer; newer computers should have .PNG on the dropdown), and the cropping rule, along with anything else that would make the sprite look rushed. Newbies to mixing should simply select the parts of the other pokemon you want to mix, clean away any extra pixels the select might have grabbed, and place the part on the base in a place that makes sense proportionally. Recolor the base so that the copied parts look like part of the base, and don't forget to fix any shading problems, like shading from the right on the copied part contrasting with left shading on the base. Fix that up and make sure the mix is smooth. There's no reason to butcher the outlines, but if you're any good at scratching parts, try making scratch parts if the base is too big for the parts. Make sure it looks smooth and like a sprite you'd find in a pokemon game or better.

Resizing- Question by chanseypanty
A guy with a shirt decal depicting a clothed Chansey stood up. "Oh, hey chanseypanty. What's your question?" "Well, I don't understand how to resize. Every time I try, my outlines get all messed up." "Oh,yeah. Paint can really mess things up when resizing. It's not meant for spriting, rather designed in a hurry by Microsoft lazybones who just did something to only slightly and crappily mess with images. So resizing there sucks. I did something once called shrink revamps, where I shrunk sprites and then fixed up the pixels and outlining. Really, You'll have to fix that by hand. Actually, Flash can shrink well, but once copied into Paint, it gets all messed up again. You'll have to fix it up yourself. Play it by ear. Sorry, but sprites are delicate pixel work, and Paint has no regard for such things. So try fixing the outlines by yourself. Eyedropping color and fixing it up makes it like doing a revamp with shading all set.

chanseypanty
09-23-2006, 06:58 PM
TVT's Sprite Aid Question Seminar
A entertaining guide to really index "Frequently Asked"(not to mention frequently needed) Questions.

.............Thank you for attending this seminar, people of PE2K. Here I will answer your questions on sprite work. As a quick note: All those here who wish to get their sprites rated are in the wrong building. Please exit to the rear. I'm here to answer questions about forms of spriting, spriting techniques, spriting rules, and to help aspiring spriters to graduate out of n00b stage. If you wish, I can assign you homework that can be sent to me via PM for grading according to the question sections here. Those experienced spriters and members may feel free to "ask" important questions that you feel new or bad spriters need to know. Since I'm pretending to have this take place in an auditorium, your posted questions will be fictionalized and pasted into the seminar's first post. If you would wish to have your question affect the gag and run storyline of this seminar, please notify me of actions you would wish your"self" to perform in this topic. Appearances of your character to be described in the seminar are welcomed. I'm aiming for a sticky once I have some decent questions up here, so fire away!

(I'm not going to bump the old one again. Could some experienced spriters ask some questions that would help n00bs out, at least?)
Are you trying to make this thread sticky:tongue:

LatiasLover
09-23-2006, 07:00 PM
How do i repose and how do i do i make inferno pokemon?

chanseypanty
09-23-2006, 07:01 PM
How do i repose and how do i do i make inferno pokemon?
Yeah, I have a question on repose too.

TVTMaster
09-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Don't know what you mean by Inferno Pokemon, but I can give tips on reposing. Another thing: I'd like questions dealing with smaller aspects of spriting techniques, since I can't really give a tutorial on every subject. There's a different sticky thread for that. If you have problems shading, or making scratch parts, or have recieved confusing criticism, this is the best place to come. Got it? Good.

Ham and Cheese
09-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Inferno, like, with flames surrounding the Pokemon.

Sudoku
09-23-2006, 11:42 PM
is there an easy way to put flames on a pokemon?

(i was asked this in an email it was ridiculous)

TVTMaster
09-23-2006, 11:45 PM
I've never done an inferno, so I can't help. But from what I see, that's just some stupid background trick that any n00b could do. I could give a help on scratching fire if someone could be more specific.

And putting flames on? Try cutting pieces from existing sprites. Fire should usually be in the back or in front, not on top or anything, because it's hard to get the base of a flame to look right.

TVTMaster
10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
BUMPED OF DOOM! The first post should answer chanseypanty's question now.

chanseypanty
10-09-2006, 12:28 AM
BUMPED OF DOOM! The first post should answer chanseypanty's question now.
That's kind of confusing.

TVTMaster
10-09-2006, 12:32 AM
The first post has a guide to reposing... or do you think the guide isconfusing? Here's something from PMF to look at (through PM, I can't have a link pumping n00bs into PMF.)

Shadow Eevee
10-09-2006, 03:48 PM
how do you make banners and fusions?these questions are out of curiosity.i am not a cat so i shouldnt be worried.(rocket meowth on the other hand...)lol.

TVTMaster
10-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Banners are usually made in Photoshop, and are not sprites, therefore irrelevant here. Fusions are a different story. Simple, really.

chanseypanty
10-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Banners are usually made in Photoshop, and are not sprites, therefore irrelevant here. Fusions are a different story. Simple, really.
How do I make sprites like Kolase? <<< Can I ask that?

Sleepy Sheep
10-09-2006, 11:16 PM
How do I make sprites like Kolase? <<< Can I ask that?

Easy, even I can answer that.

Practice, practice, practice!

Sorry for stealing your hook, TVT...

TVTMaster
10-09-2006, 11:24 PM
No big, SS. Kolase has been a spriter for a while. Try joining up with that forum with the tutorial, PMF. It should increase your standards and therefore motivate you to do better. Kolase is an Elite there, and I believe he holds a mod position. That'll help you. My work would probably be around gonzap's quality if I had never been there.

Sleepy Sheep
10-09-2006, 11:26 PM
No big, SS. Kolase has been a spriter for a while. Try joining up with that forum with the tutorial, PMF. It should increase your standards and therefore motivate you to do better. Kolase is an Elite there, and I believe he holds a mod position. That'll help you. My work would probably be around gonzap's quality if I had never been there.

Are you serious, that forum helped you that much? I left because everyone there was rude to me and I quit spriting.

TVTMaster
10-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I had to tolerate the crit. If I had stayed here, the lowering quality of sprite work would definitely influence me. Not to mention there's zero inspiration to sprite here.

In other news, an anonymous donor has asked a "question" on outlines for an example to n00bs. I'd greatly encourage this anonymous person to post here, as I'm a bit picky about the topic first post layout and I'd like there to not be an "Anonymous" there. But I guess I could tolerate it for a good reason.

chanseypanty
10-09-2006, 11:42 PM
So you're saying Kolase is better than Gonzap?

I don't understand how to resize, everytime I do some part of my outline disappear.

TVTMaster
10-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Uh, yes, I'm saying that. And resizing is a tricky business. I'll detail it in the post. Finally, a good question.

Shadow Eevee
10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
but how do i do fusions?you never answered.

TVTMaster
10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Yes. I did. Check the first post. Mixing- Question by Eeveebrothers.

Sent Reglay
10-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Question: I've been trying to learn how to scratch lately, but my outlines get screwed up before I can even start coloring them an. Any tips?