PDA

View Full Version : What happens when...

Steven
06-09-2004, 05:11 AM
What happens when you trade pokemon from gsc and rby back and forth? I'm talking about their Special...

In rby there is special, but when they made gsc it was split into special attack and special defense. Since these can be different, what will it be in rby?

ex: poliwag spatk:10 spdef: 8 if I traded it to rby, what would it's special be? Maybe there is something here like the box trick...

mlugia
06-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Depending on the DV of the specific pokemon, it'd adjust itself accordingly.

Bakura2004
06-10-2004, 10:57 PM
I think a radom number is picked or something like that.

mlugia
06-10-2004, 11:06 PM
uh... No.

Every species in RBY has a preset maximum with their DVs at 15, so depending on the DV of your pokemon in GSC, when it goes to RBY the special value will be adjusted to match the DV and the preset maximum of that species in RBY instead of in GSC.

gold
06-11-2004, 04:26 PM
So you mean if a pokemon had 20 spatk and 22 spdef it would be 21?

Kenny_C.002
06-12-2004, 04:27 AM
No. The game just recalculates the special stat once it travels to RBY from GSC. This is done using the preset DVs of the pokemon (it never changes) and the SEs on the Special stat. Technically speaking, a pokemon with sp ATK of 8 and sp def of 10 could possibly have a regular sp. rating with a range from 6 to probably 11 or 12. It's what the game calculates from its data.

However, I'm not completely sure whether the base stats for special itself and special attack are alike/similar. If that is the case, then the special attack would just carry over to the special stat in RBY. I have reasoning to beleive this as it is easier for the programmers to just add another stat and not have to change anything.

Anyone can confirm this?

mlugia
06-12-2004, 04:34 AM
The RBY special split did change the stats upon trasition to GSC. There is no way to determine a pattern, but the special stat was either put into SpA or SpD, with the other one being added on as if it was a new stat. That's why Snorlax owned ;_;

Full stat info can be found on pokedexes, eg: pokedex.kary.ca

gold
06-12-2004, 11:27 AM
The RBY special split did change the stats upon trasition to GSC. There is no way to determine a pattern, but the special stat was either put into SpA or SpD, with the other one being added on as if it was a new stat. That's why Snorlax owned ;_;

No. The game just recalculates the special stat once it travels to RBY from GSC. This is done using the preset DVs of the pokemon (it never changes) and the SEs on the Special stat. Technically speaking, a pokemon with sp ATK of 8 and sp def of 10 could possibly have a regular sp. rating with a range from 6 to probably 11 or 12. It's what the game calculates from its data.

However, I'm not completely sure whether the base stats for special itself and special attack are alike/similar. If that is the case, then the special attack would just carry over to the special stat in RBY. I have reasoning to beleive this as it is easier for the programmers to just add another stat and not have to change anything.
Okay NOW I understand