PDA

View Full Version : Interview with a Vet

Lucky Flareon
03-04-2004, 01:44 AM
I don't know if this is where to put it but whatever. Ok, I had an interview with a vet, and found it pretty interesting. This is a paper I have to write on it. I am still finishing it up, so its not perfect yet.

What are several of your normal job duties?

Some things that veterinarians do isÖ

~ Perform surgery on animals

~ Set broken bones

~ Dress wounds

~ Diagnose animal diseases

~ Advise owners on the care and breeding of animals

~ Inspect animals used for food before and after slaughtering

~ Perform autopsies on animal carcasses

~ Vaccinate animals for disease

~ Some veterinarians also teach in colleges of veterinary medicine or conduct

research on animal and human diseases.

What aptitudes and abilities are needed for your work?

You need to be extremely dedicated because there is a lot of schooling involved, and the job can be stressful at times. You also need to be skilled in surgery, and canít be squeamish around blood and other internal organs/fluids. You need to be able to have a variety of tasks, and be able to switch from one to another fairly quickly and efficiently. You should have good people skills, and be able to do more than just giving and receiving instructions. You should have a good vocabulary, and understand ideas and information effectively. You should also be able to conduct scientific research.

What are the education and training requirements to enter and advance in your work?

You need anywhere from 2-4 years of undergraduate schooling, and 4 years of Ďvet schoolí. Advancing in your career would require you to keep up with the latest methods of treating illness/wounds, and the newest medicines, cures, and diseases.

Is there any additional training?

If you want to specialize in a certain area (ex: equine veterinarian) then you are required to take more schooling. You learn with experience mostly. For example, the more surgery you perform, the better you will become because you will get more and more familiar with the techniques.

What are the normal working hours? Do you work overtime? If so, how often?

On a normal day, the working hours are usually from 9 am to about 7 pm, but itís hard to set a specific time because there are so many types of vets. Equine vets would tend to work earlier because people who own horses wake up earlier. People who own more common pets usually schedule appointments for mid-day times. Sometimes vets will work overtime, and there is usually not a set amount of time that you work. On average a public service vet works 40 hours, and a private practice vet works 52 hours. However, hours are usually irregular and you are on call 24-7. You are also times when you may have to work on weekend or holidays.

What is the usual beginning salary or wage?

Again, a hard question to answer because there are so many types of vets. On average, I would have to say around $45,000 for a starting wage.

How much does the average person earn after 5 years? What types of benefits do workers in your career area receive?

On average, a person would make about $68,190 or so. The main benefits are being able to help people and their animals. The thing that I like a lot about my job is that I know that I am making a difference, and I can see the progress of my patients. I know that I am making another being healthier, or helping it through a rough disease or injury. Itís a job that comes with extreme gratification.

Is there a demand of workers in your career area at the present time? Locally? State wide? Nationally?

There is a large demand of vets currently. The largest demand is in the large animal field (ex: horses, cows) and not so much the smaller animals (ex: cats, dogs). This is so because most people who want to become vets donít want to work around large animals. There are a number of reasons, including fear, not wanting to move to a rural area, or they are more used to small animals. Because of this, equine veterinarians are some of the highest paid around, and donít have as many people to compete with.

Do you think the demand for workers in your career area will increase or decrease in the next 5 years?

I think that it will increase. With the human population growing, the number of pets is also growing. A vet can only take care of so many animals, and so there will need to be new vets for the increase of pets.

Advantages of your work?

If you love animals, then you might love being a vet. (Now just because you love animals doesnít mean you would be a good vet. A vet needs to be kind and patient, but also need to put animals to sleep, and be able to stand blood and other things that some people consider Ďgrossí.) You get a variety of things to do, and no 2 days turn out the same. There is also a wide variety of challenges and rewards in a daily basis.

Disadvantages?

You are always on call, and never know when an emergency might pop up. Those who treat animals may be exposed to communicable diseases and infections. There is also the risk of injury. (Minor injuries {like bites and scratches} from smaller animals, but larger animals can cause serious injury.) You may also be exposed to radiation while operating x-ray equipment. Also, you may have to work long irregular hours, and possibly weekends/holidays. They must also purchase instruments, equipment, and supplies, which cost a substantial amount of money.

Is there any other additional information that you would like to share with me?

Basically, if you think that you want to do this, then just go for it. Investigate veterinarian specialties and college programs that match your interests. Participate in job shadowing, and anything else that would give you a better idea of the life of a vet. Also, choose high school courses that will help you in your future, instead of slacking off and taking the easiest classes. (Good classes include anything that has to do with science, math, and communication. Specific courses that would help include algebra, biology, anatomy, chemistry, biochemistry, and physics.) Also, try to get experience in a veterinary hospital before entering college. Most will hire students to assist with animal care, patient handling, and kennel work.

[Fair]
03-07-2004, 05:12 AM
lmao... When I clicked into this thread, I was expecting an interview with a URPG Veteran... :lol:

But, this is still an interesting interview nontheless! :smile: Good Job, Lucky!

Lucky Flareon
03-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Thanks. I was going to put veterinarian, but I couldn't spell it.:doh:

pokemon king
08-13-2006, 09:16 PM
hello everyone in here and good bye

Loyal Arcanine
08-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Don't revive old threads. Next time you're banned.

*Locked.

Neo Emolga
08-13-2006, 09:21 PM
hello everyone in here and good bye

Goodbye indeed, I'm tired of your spam and we really didn't need a thread this old revived for pointless reasons. I've warned you before, and you obviously don't care.

Goodbye and good riddance, and please, do us all a favor and don't come back.

*Banned