PDA

View Full Version : Reffing Bot

flareon008
11-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Hi guys. I think I have a neat idea and wanted some feedback.

Recently I've been learning how to script with irc coding. I had the idea to make a reffing bot. I've heard there is a visual basic verison, however, everyone could idle in irc.

There would be 4 rooms: first would be a chat room where everyone can hang out and do as they please, the other 3 would be the battling rooms.

Everything would be done quickly and would have no need to find a ref. The need for refs and activity would never be an issue. This however would eliminate any reffing money.

I have spoken to Marth and he does like the idea. My problem - I no longer understand pokemon. Marth says he'd lend a hand. This is far by no easy task. This probably could take over several month to code. Then there is the debugging and finding flaws.

I'm willing to do this, but I want to know if you guys want this. Theres no way I'm going to dive into this massive amount of work for nothing. I also ask if anyone knows how to code if they'd be willing to help out since I am still new at this. Someone would have to explain how reffing calculations work too.

--- Ideas ---
Login System for Trainers/moderators/leader/gym leaders
Bot could remember every pokemon and move (even to individual trainers)
Correct Reff calculations (effects etc...)
Have the stadium mode can pm the bot your moves

--- If possible/time/able ---
Trainer stats of who had battles (look up trainers with their stats and latest battles) on a website (?)

akdude
11-16-2006, 01:53 AM
That's a great idea Flare! Although, I've never heard of of irc coding before. So I'm not so sure if it'll all work, but if it does that would be great! I'd help you if I could, but I only know html lol

flareon008
11-16-2006, 02:03 AM
That's a great idea Flare! Although, I've never heard of of irc coding before. So I'm not so sure if it'll all work, but if it does that would be great! I'd help you if I could, but I only know html lol

Like I said if possible I would love to make a site for all the stats and if that happens a web designer would be good.

Subside
11-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Its great an all flare, but i would be out of a job! and i luff reffing again... i don't know, i'll just see what the Majority say and go along with that :P

Hypocrisy is Fun
11-16-2006, 02:05 AM

Maybe thats because you've never seen a bot. @_@

I like the idea, but a bot that complicated is really going to take time.

Fenix
11-16-2006, 04:34 AM
It sounds like a good idea and all to combat the ref inactivity, but I don't like the idea of it. It sounds too much like Netbattle.

Also, half of the fun (In my opinion anyway) in the URPG is the human involvement in battles, and it is also a big part of the originality. Taking it away would make the URPG a little less special and different than every other online RPG there is for Pokemon.

Reffing is fun and a great way to get people involved in the URPG as more than just trainers or gym leaders. Learning the needed skills to be a ref ads an aspect of understanding to the battle that would be lost if we used ref bots. Plus, aside from eliminating ref wages, it would make it a way for trainers to make a lot of money very quickly.

And anothet thought; it seems like it will be harder to regulate cheating if there is no third person present for the battle.

I like the URPG how it is.

bronislav84
11-16-2006, 07:06 AM
I made the VB version, if anybdoy wants it. It counts in 10/10, but I can adjust it to do percents, if I have the time ot get to a computer with VB 6 on it. If anybody wants it, ask me.

DaRkUmBrEoN
11-16-2006, 07:23 AM
I made the VB version, if anybdoy wants it. It counts in 10/10, but I can adjust it to do percents, if I have the time ot get to a computer with VB 6 on it. If anybody wants it, ask me.

Pass me a link, bron.
I'm kinda interested to see how convenient this thing actually is.

-]DU[-

bronislav84
11-16-2006, 08:35 AM
DU, I'd have to mail it to you or send you the file on a messneger. I don't have it hosted anywhere. Find me on AIM or something.

EDIT: There, I put it on rapidshare. Anybody that wants it can get it here (http://rapidshare.com/files/3565110/Reffing_Demo_0.6.5.exe.html)

ball
11-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, I kinda agree with Fenix. The bots could make mistakes... what if someone wanted to change his move, or a word someone said would be treated like a move/mon. Or if someone had any questions. What if you would have to resume a battle. And cheating would be possible. ... I would never trust a bot anything like a gym battle or elite battle. And yes refs do make URPG special. A bot would take the fun out of the battle... I dont really want there to be refing bots, there really isnt that big ref inactivity. Besides, most people here dont have IRC, almost all battles are being done on AIM(really rare on MSN).

Marth
11-16-2006, 02:51 PM
The economy would crumble, and battles would get boring and repetitive when automatized. There would be no thrill at all or expectancy in the fight. It would be a netbattle with a lot of moves, that's all.
BUT, making a reffing bot for the ref exclusively, while leaving the randomizing factors in the chat, is what I'd like to create. A better one than pika's.
Simplifying (sp?) the process for the ref would be great, but removing it's position isn't good.

DarkGardevoir
11-16-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't like the idea.

For me, reffing is a duty. And as duty, has to be done.

I love this sistem, just because half of the fun is made on/by the ref, and c'mon, a perfect system would just bother more than not perfect refs...

At least in my opinion

lilbabydino
11-16-2006, 03:35 PM
No Thanks. I am hoping to become a ref, and when I do I want to ref battles not watch as a bot kills everyone and steals their cookies and then the whole world will blow up and there will be no more pe2k and no more URPG and then you will be very unhappy. So, bad idea. :cool:

flareon008
11-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Some of you are completely underestimating what the bot could do. With the right coding it could do everything Ultra would need for battles. Resuming battles isn't a problem. It would go by commands.
Example:
Trainer1: !go pokemon
Bot: Trainer1 has thrown out pokemon
Trainer2: !go Pokemon
Bot: Trainer2 has thrown out Pokemon
Trainer2: !attack Ice Beam
Bot: Waiting for Trainer1's attack
Trainer1: !attack Fire Punch
Bot: pokemon attacks with Fire punch misses. Ice Beam hits Pokemon 7/10.

If you wanted to switch the command could be made !switch pokemon. It's really quite endless. It could have a FAQ for questions some may ask and could answer. Mistakes would be fixed with flaw finding and anything else; computer do everything correctly when written correctly.
I saw there was an all out battle with multipul trainers. The bot could handle that much better than a human and quicker (again with time).

If you used irc it would be easily understood. It's much like using any other Yahoo Chat or Aim Chatroom. You could slap each other silly, you can talk with one another etc.

All-in-all its about demand. The demand isn't there it seems.

.AzureLight
11-17-2006, 01:11 AM
You need a anti-cheating method too.

For example... if someone uses a move they don't have. We need a database and such. :eh:

SiberianTiger
11-17-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm not sure. I mean yea looking for a ref on AIM can be quite frustrating at times, though I appreciate all the battles the refs have reffed for me so far. ^_^ But a bot might be taking a few things from the URPG.

That said it's an awsome idea, maybe it could programmed for exclusive use for the refs? Like the refs imput the pokemon and the attacks, and it automatically calculates accuracy defense and everything without inputing it in manually?

It seems like a great idea, I'm just not sure whether the cons and pros even out, consbeing the level of interaction. I have had great conversation with the refs and challengers during battles, and I look forward to the next time I battle and the ref, cause I know it's not going to be a call your attack, ok he is dead GG.

Great idea, I just think if would be better suited if it was formatted to help refs rather than replace them. besides it would replace my terminator smilie.

0_:

~Isaiah

.AzureLight
11-17-2006, 01:20 AM
I like ST's idea.

Like the ref says to the bot:

Charizard used Flamethrower on Pikachu

And the bot does the rest. That would own. :crackup:

SiberianTiger
11-17-2006, 01:34 AM
I like ST's idea.

Like the ref says to the bot:

Charizard used Flamethrower on Pikachu

And the bot does the rest. That would own. :crackup:

You mean the Charizard would own. :crackup:

Thanks for the support though.

~Isaiah

Ridley
11-17-2006, 01:59 AM
If a reffing bot would make me lose my job, then I'm against it.

Subside
11-17-2006, 04:13 AM
That said it's an awsome idea, maybe it could programmed for exclusive use for the refs? Like the refs imput the pokemon and the attacks, and it automatically calculates accuracy defense and everything without inputing it in manually?
~Isaiah

So, if that were to happen every body and their cousins dog could become a ref! Reffing is about being able to calculate damage and making money simply imputing a few attacks into a bot would kinda take that away right?

Marth
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Reffing is derivated from the lack of the actual Pokémon game. Yet it's the essence of the URPG, the expectation of a turn would highly decrease if you only had to input a move. Moreover, who would the newbies ask advice too, the bot? Could they ask stuff about a certain move? Could they ask "how much does X does to Y?" Could the bot explain to them how does substitute work with the patience of ah human?.
Kev. would say probably yes, but it wouldn't be the same as a personalized answer.
And I insist, the economy would fall, and people could simply have battles all day... oh wait, they could clone the fights, after all, there's no referee to make sure that people don't abuse the system.

Loyal Arcanine
11-17-2006, 01:37 PM
I agree with Ball and Fenix. You never answered what Ball said anyway; how are you going to make it possible to change moves? How are you going to detect cheaters? Say I'm battling my good friend Echo, and he calls a move first, and then I order my un-TM'ed Heracross to use TM Earthquake. The bot will immediately give the new stats, and by the time Echo finds out that I'm blatantly cheating we would have to go back at least one turn.

Also, like Yami said, I completely don't like SiberianTiger's idea. If you ask me, being a ref still goes with having to posess certain skills and knowledge, which means the ref will be respected. That concept is put in the dustbin if everybody can go and put in some numbers to ref.

And finally, the need for such a thing isn't very big, if it even is there at all. Reffing activity may be low (though it already is more than when the schoolyear just started), but the urge to battle is not that high either. It's pretty balanced, if you ask me. The supply of reffing services is capable to cope with the demand at the moment. That balance will stay when Christmas break comes, since referees will then have more time too.

Jack of Clovers
11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
A Ref isn't there only to provide stats, but answer any questions and also make sure the Trainer's Pokemon actually has that move, such as TM's. And this seems too much like Netbattle.

Though, good try Flare.

~Jack~