PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of Privacy

Ierdar
07-01-2004, 07:27 PM
I just got word, from my mom, that everything I do on AOL is sent to her. I knew that, or at least I thought I did. I knew sites I was on, and who I talked to was sent, but not what I've said to those people. Apparntly, it is sent to my mom, everything I say in IMs and Chats, and I'm sure lots of you with AOL have the same thing. I'm alright with my mom knowing who I'm talking to, and where I've been online, because I dont go anywhere bad. But what me and the other people/person are talking about, I find that to be an invasion of my privacy. I should be allowd to have private conversations, completly private ones. Not ones that my parents can read with the opening of an email.

So far, my moms told me she hasnt read any of my IM/Chat convos(yeah right), but just the thought makes me...gah x_x

Who else agrees with me that this is an invasion of privacy? What other ones do your parents have on you?

Kenny_C.002
07-02-2004, 02:57 AM
Well it IS an invasion of privacy, but it happens all the tim everywhere. Every big company has something of the like to slap employees. Every small company has that. Every security camera technically is an invasion of privacy as long as soemthing personal is said and read by someone else. Heck, even spyware/adware/etc. are invasions of privacy. You can't really avoid it, so I guess you just have to embrace it as part of the banes of technology.

Agent Orange
07-02-2004, 11:02 PM
That is definately an invasion of privicy.

Steven
07-04-2004, 01:37 AM
Yeah, but then again it's not like your doing anything bad so it isn't a problem. I mean its good if people are doing illeagal things, I mean cameras catch crooks all the time doing things they shouldn't be, and I can understand parents who want to protect their kids...

Phoenix004
07-22-2004, 01:32 AM
I just got word, from my mom, that everything I do on AOL is sent to her. I knew that, or at least I thought I did. I knew sites I was on, and who I talked to was sent, but not what I've said to those people. Apparntly, it is sent to my mom, everything I say in IMs and Chats, and I'm sure lots of you with AOL have the same thing. I'm alright with my mom knowing who I'm talking to, and where I've been online, because I dont go anywhere bad. But what me and the other people/person are talking about, I find that to be an invasion of my privacy. I should be allowd to have private conversations, completly private ones. Not ones that my parents can read with the opening of an email.

So far, my moms told me she hasnt read any of my IM/Chat convos(yeah right), but just the thought makes me...gah x_x

Who else agrees with me that this is an invasion of privacy? What other ones do your parents have on you?

Why didn't I see this thread before? The same thing happened to me a while ago. My mum set up this AOL Guardian thing, so that whenever I sign off, it sends her an E-mail telling her who I've talked to and what sites I've been on. It's so unfair! I don't want her to see who I've talked to! My conversations are supposed to be private. I actually said at the time that it was invasion of privacy, but as usual, nobody listened. And I thought my parents trusted me...

Fortunatley, two can play the "unfair game." I found out her password and got rid of it. My mum obviously knows, but hasn't changed it back. That's a good thing since she frequently changes her password.

Anyway, I think parents should only do something like that if they have a genuine reason to suspect their kid. I've never done anything to provoke an AOL spy reporting which friends I'm talking to.

Ace
07-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Yes, it may be an invasion of privacy but there is one thing that was overlooked: your safety.

What if you were older and you found out that your child was attacked by someone he met in the internet and revealed his/her real-life info via IM. Crimes are caused by that and that is why many parents have the urge to "spy" on their child. They may be sticking their nose into buisness that is supposed to be private, but that is for your own safety. Sure, it is quite disgusting finding out your parent doesn't trust what you do in the internet, but it may just save your life. With recent crimes started by a simple IM, i'm sure many parents have begun to worry for their child and went as far as actually viewing internet conversations. Some parents have not neglected what their child does in the internet, and some had paid a price.

Options:
- Let it slide and eventually give in to your parents.
- Stand up for yourself.

Standing up for yourself in front of your parents is tough and most of the time fails, it is a possibility to win, though. You must convince your parents that you do not participate in awkward activities in both real-life and internet-wise. Also, don't even try to fight back with your parents and stoop up to their level. That just makes things worse. If you do try changing their password, ect., they will lose TOTAL trust over you and maybe even limit your internet time or make you go to their internet under their account. Just let them know somehow that you never ever had or will talk to any suspicious characters. It's like going to a house with a dog inside. Let the dog sniff you first, don't try to kick it away. Let the parents view what you do temporarily, and then they will finally realize that you can be trusted.

Matthew
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
heh... That bites the dust. I don't like when people snoop in my affaris... it is one of my pet peeves... anyway, I am just glad I got rid of AOL ^^;

Techno Treecko
07-25-2004, 03:20 AM

Job of Parent: To invade child's privacy.

:tongue3:

Zenaku
07-25-2004, 03:54 AM
Eh... Well, i have AOL too, but unlike most people i have full control over everything. My parents never use it either, luckily.

Anyways, Ierdar, dont you have AIM? Just use that and never enter a Chatroom, or talk to people, using AOL. Go as far as creating a new screenname that nobody knows, to make sure nobody talks to you on it. Also, have you tried using IE? As long as you're connected with AOL, you can view pages using IE. You might want to try that, and see if AOL can detect what sites you go to using it.

Privacy... Eh, the only time i have any is on my computer. In real life, the word privacy doesnt exist for me. When somebody wants to come into my room, they walk in. It doesnt matter if im talking to friends online, playing a game, or watching TV, and somehow they cant do a simple task like knocking. No matter how much i tell them, they never listen. :rolleyes: Well, thats parents for you i suppose. Of course, you could always ask a friend who has AOL to create a screenname for you on it. They wont have to pay extra, and you wont have to worry about that annoying AOL Guardian. After that, when they ask why nothings coming in the E-Mails, you can just tell them they shouldn't look at your personal chats. Well, i've talked too much already. :P

Ierdar
07-25-2004, 04:02 AM
DA, I dont have IE >_< And I do only go on it on AIM.

TT, the hell it is. They have no right to know what I've said to people. Espesially when I am trying to help a friend out, with some problem, or listening when they have no one else to say things to, and I tell them I will not tell a soul about what they told me. I've promised a lot of people that, and by the simple opening of that email, my promise is broken. Besides, I should be allowd to have free conversations without my parents knowing what was said and what not.

Duke, I dont much have a problem with my parents knowing who I talk to, its whats said. Its like your parents ask where you're going and who you'll be with, when you leave the house. I dont have a problem with that. But, them knowing exactly what we're doing or in this case, talking about, thats what I dont like. =\

Inferno
08-01-2004, 06:56 AM
That's pretty much horrible to think that everything you say is caught and sent to your parents. I mean first of all, as long as there is nothing illegal, normal conversation should never be monitored by anyone.
It makes it so that you really can't carry on a healthy conversation with anyone over the internet, of fear that something may be overheard and misconstrude.
I don't really have any problem with my parents knowing where I go, or who I talk to either, but my topics of conversation are my business. People are capable of making their own decisions and I think it's sad when your parents don't have anymore faith in your judgment than that.

But the point about safety is a good argument for this "guardian system" being used. But checking the words that people use should only be used in times that are emergencies, such as when a person goes missing.

That's a total invasion of privacy though, I don't let people read what I type in IM's when they get close to the computer, it's just weird, not because I'm saying anything that I shouldn't be, but because it's my own conversation. But children should be trusted more, parents should learn that, society should learn that.

Kenny_C.002
08-01-2004, 12:14 PM
That's pretty much horrible to think that everything you say is caught and sent to your parents. I mean first of all, as long as there is nothing illegal, normal conversation should never be monitored by anyone.
It makes it so that you really can't carry on a healthy conversation with anyone over the internet, of fear that something may be overheard and misconstrude.
I don't really have any problem with my parents knowing where I go, or who I talk to either, but my topics of conversation are my business. People are capable of making their own decisions and I think it's sad when your parents don't have anymore faith in your judgment than that.

But the point about safety is a good argument for this "guardian system" being used. But checking the words that people use should only be used in times that are emergencies, such as when a person goes missing.

That's a total invasion of privacy though, I don't let people read what I type in IM's when they get close to the computer, it's just weird, not because I'm saying anything that I shouldn't be, but because it's my own conversation. But children should be trusted more, parents should learn that, society should learn that.

I agree completely. However, with the impotence of 5 or even 6 out of every 10 pairs of parents, you can't really blame them on why this service is available.

Caite-chan
08-01-2004, 03:01 PM
There job is to make our life a living hell. We use to have a program called WavMan for IM's. I would use it so I wouldn't have IM's all over my screen. I was playing around with it one day and found out that all the IM's you have are kept incase you wanna go back to them later. Well my mom found a couple of mine but, they were only a few IM's. The kind where I went around asking people to join something I had...lol. So after that I 1. Deleated all my IM's and 2. Stoped useing it.

Kenny_C.002
08-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Well I guess that one is slightly different in terms of content as it's "backup" for you. But the ones that are solely for the purpose of informing your parents...no.

Caite-chan
08-01-2004, 03:51 PM
What Ierdar is talking about just makes it seem like saying Hey mom and dad why not just sit with me and read my IM's to me.

Deoxys0003
08-02-2004, 01:50 AM
It probably only feels like an invasion of privacy because you are disobeying your parents in some form. :naughty: