PDA

View Full Version : Official Console(s) Discussion/Versus Thread

VenusaurTrainer
07-20-2004, 03:18 PM
This thread is for console war and discussion. Talk about new systems here and state which console is the best and why. Also don't put Gamecube rocks X-Box sucks. Put some thought in your post. I will state my opinion later.

JoshE
07-21-2004, 12:26 AM
XBOX is the best system out of the big 3. (Game Cube, XBOX, PS2) Ps2 has the most games which is its plus, and Game Cube has sequals to all of the amazing old N64 games. But Graphics in my mind are the most important. The ability to make the player feel the game is more realistic than the other systems is in my opinion of much importance for any console.

Now I will sit back read your opposing comments PS2 and Game Cube users, and argue you into submission. :happy:

VenusaurTrainer
07-21-2004, 01:12 AM
I agree with you Josh. I think the X-Box is the best system. It is getting very popular due to online demands of gamers. It has the potential to have the greatest graphics out of all the other consoles. PS2 and GCN aren't pushing there system to the max to get the greatest graphics. X-Box has a wide variety of games and is fixed on older audiences and nowadays more gamers are older.

In second is the PS2, although it has the most games on any system it doesn't have the capability to have great graphics due too its early release then the other systems. I have to admit the PS2 does have some great games but not enough for my likening.

The Gamecube is in third but won't be for long. At the E3 Expo they showed some great sequels and new games. In my opinion it has better games to be released this Christmas then the PS2. The Gamecube is in demand on the GBA, which is what is bringing in most of Nintendo’s money.

For my over all speech, by next year the X-Box will be leading the console war. Gamecube is in second and the PS2 in a close third.

Kenny_C.002
07-21-2004, 01:33 AM
As it stands right now for the regular RPG player (like me), gamecube is surprisingly first and Xbox is obviously last.

To the average RPG gamer, online capabilities of a game really does not heighten the game that much. If you're asking me, Final Fantasy 11 (online) is WORST thn FFX-2 and FFX for that matter. It's just not right for a gamer to get the game, buy the player's guide, AND have to wait until there are 3 other ppl playing online at the same time just to beat a single boss. Plus you can't do anything in the online game while playing alone (or you get through very little). Training, if the battle system is classical, would get tiresome after 3 hours of play. So online = bad.

In terms of RPGs, Gamecube currently stands king. With Zelda, FF:CC, Tales, etc. on the console itself, you can't go wrong. Plus you get the cool sequels from when somebody is actually over to play with you. Besides, where else do you play Resident Evil?

PS2's RPGs have the selling point of online gaming (which completely sucks), and its offerings don't go further than the FF series and Star Ocean 3 (even IF Star Ocean 3 is a little better than ToS). Again,this system has the games, but doesn't have the capabilities.

Xbox has no RPG games. Period. Anything else?

Besides that, 90% of all good games come on all three systems, so it doesn't really matter in the end. It's just a preference of RPG/Mario/Sequels (GCN) versus plenty of games and PS1 games (PS2) versus good ol' FPS/graphics (Xbox).

I personally hate FPSs, and graphics don't matter to me that much (go look at Tales of Symphonia and then come back to tell me my gamecube sucks in the graphics department...). So gamecube wins (okay Nintendo still sucks for being stupid), PS2 second (I'm not sure of PS3 tho), and Xbox gets the boot (and you know why).

JoshE
07-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Xbox has no RPG games. Period. Anything else?

Yeah, Have you ever heard of:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Wars and Warriors: Joan of Arc
Sea Dogs II
True Fantasy Live
Star Wars Galaxy's
Phantasy Star Universe
Ghouls and Ghost's online.
---------------------------------------------
A better statement would have been: "XBOX has no RPG's that I have an interest in." Alright just named a few to let you know.

Matt & Vulpix
07-21-2004, 06:56 PM
JoshE> Except for maybe Star wars, I've never even heard of any of those RPGs :razz:

My favorite console is the GameCube, because its games interest me the most.

I mean; it has a bunch of classic games that you just can't help but like. Things like "Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life" and "Mario Kart: Double Dash" are next in line of great series, making it all that much more liked.

It also has many unique games like "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem" and "Animal Crossing".

The PS2 is next in line for me, although I don't have many games for it. "Final Fantasy X" and "Kingdom Hearts" are the most notable games on the system for me, although there aren't others that seem to interest me too much.

XBOX to me is fun; but it doesn't have a wide variety of games I like. It has one, maybe three games that I would want to play. Not worth me spending 250$ Canadian on :P

Also; in terms of graphics, all three consoles are equal to me. It isn't the console that has the graphics; you have to look at each individual game. They even out to the same average of graphics.
Graphics aren't my #1 priority, either. I don't want to play a beautiful game that has a terrible gameplay, or a beautiful game with two hours maximum of play.
Although they are nice, "Gameplay over graphics" for me.

I'm also noticing that music is becoming more and more important in games. Not music, but actual songs. "Simple and Clean" from Kingdom Hearts is a notable one, "Sigh of the Wind" from FF: Crystal Chronicles is also very pretty. It's becoming very awsome to see the various songs that come into play.

Kenny_C.002
07-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Yeah, Have you ever heard of:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Wars and Warriors: Joan of Arc
Sea Dogs II
True Fantasy Live
Star Wars Galaxy's
Phantasy Star Universe
Ghouls and Ghost's online.
---------------------------------------------
A better statement would have been: "XBOX has no RPG's that I have an interest in." Alright just named a few to let you know.

I actually have heard of only Ghouls and Ghosts and Star Wars. I don't know, I just didn't feel like they're really actual full fledged RPGs tho... Then again, sports games are now being placed into this category for no reason, so I don't doubt it. lol

VenusaurTrainer
07-22-2004, 05:27 AM
Sports games are RPGs because you can create your own team. After that you can raise your teams stats in hopes of winning a title.

XVIIVX
07-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Gamecube is my choise. Graphics and realism doesn't mean so much to me. And Gamecube has all the games I really want to play "Mario kart" and "Super smash bros".

Kenny_C.002
07-23-2004, 03:43 AM
Sports games are RPGs because you can create your own team. After that you can raise your teams stats in hopes of winning a title.

Yeah, that was the argument of them being RPGs. It's the fact that RPGs have become such a vague category that it's almost non-existent now. *goes to play ToS and FF7*

Sixto
07-23-2004, 03:43 AM
Gamecube is my choise. Graphics and realism doesn't mean so much to me. And Gamecube has all the games I really want to play "Mario kart" and "Super smash bros".

I totally agree! I mean it does have good graphics, not better than XBOX or PS2's but at least its something, and they aren't crappy graphics either. With the Game Cube, Nintendo introduced something they had never done before. It intrduced loading, which it never had, this was due to the small optical discs. Also, Nintendo used to be more "Kid" oriented, now it has all kinds of games. Need for Speed is an example. So yeah, the graphics are really good, a real improvement, and there is a wide variety of games that I like! :biggrin:

Kenny_C.002
07-23-2004, 03:49 AM
I mean it does have good graphics, not better than XBOX or PS2's but at least its something, and they aren't crappy graphics either. With the Game Cube, Nintendo introduced something they had never done before. It intrduced loading, which it never had, this was due to the small optical discs. Also, Nintendo used to be more "Kid" oriented, now it has all kinds of games. Need for Speed is an example. So yeah, the graphics are really good, a real improvement, and there is a wide variety of games that I like! :biggrin:

Gamecube is graphically superior to the PS2 due to its processor being more powerful.
There is still little to no loading time in most of the games out for gamecube (same with Xbox, not PS2 tho).
Nintendo used to be less "kid" oriented back in the day of the Super Nintendo (undoubtably the best system of its time...like there was no contest...Turbo Graffix 16? Genesis? No way.), then got more "kid" oriented with the N64 and the Gamecube (See Zelda...well NOW they're trying to fix it...).

So yeah, some good news thrown in there. :P

VenusaurTrainer
07-23-2004, 04:27 AM
I predict that in 3 years the X-Box will be the king of all systems why? Because even though it's just starting to get popular in Japan. It will rule in the U.S. Becuase a lot of the american game developers are putting there games on the X-Box because they are familiar with their hardware. Example: Doom 3.

Ace
07-23-2004, 06:19 AM
I predict that in 3 years the X-Box will be the king of all systems why? Because even though it's just starting to get popular in Japan. It will rule in the U.S. Becuase a lot of the american game developers are putting there games on the X-Box because they are familiar with their hardware. Example: Doom 3.

Meh, in three years Nintendo, Sony, and maybe even Microsoft should have newer and more efficient systems out. It is usually 7-10 years before another game system and it's almost about reaching that point. It's been already confirmed of new systems so I am skeptical about your "In three years X-Box will be king" theory.

Genesis?

Speaking of Sega, Dreamcast didn't make it at all in the systems race. It was released too early, that was their mistake, a big one too. They were hasty although Dreamcast was good for a while but after the Three came out it got eaten alive. Meh, Sega should just stick with Nintendo.

(See Zelda...well NOW they're trying to fix it...).

Speaking of THAT matter, they are refixing Zelda to make it like the classic N64 versions. I was neutral on the cell-shading matter although it was quite a bit displeasing. They are making a new Zelda game and this time it's going to be in a...let's say...a nastier side. I saw a trailer and it doesn't look like cell-shading will stand.

not PS2 tho

Actually, that might change soon. I heard of a GTA:SA and it is said that there will be no loading times at all unless entering a building or something so that might change for PS2.

Ok, last quote:
FF7
Ahhh...memories...

VenusaurTrainer
07-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Meh, in three years Nintendo, Sony, and maybe even Microsoft should have newer and more efficient systems out. It is usually 7-10 years before another game system and it's almost about reaching that point. It's been already confirmed of new systems so I am skeptical about your "In three years X-Box will be king" theory.

I wasn't saying that just the X-Box would be king. I was saying that Microsoft would dominate when there new system is released and there current one.

art
07-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I dunno about that, I still haven't accepted X-box as a real game/console maker.

Well, Gamecube has Super Smash bros which I like, GS 3 will rpoly be on the GC which is also a plus but other than that.. it's kinda crap. the graphics aren't all that good. the size rules tho and the controllers are pretty nice too.

X-Box... a wide array of games, of which I like none. the ones that are okay in my opinion are also available for the PS2. It's big, looks like crap, the graphics are great but controllers SUCK. Good graphics do really get you into the world of the game, but there's no worlds I wanna be in for X-box..

PS2 has a lot of games with a lot of good ones in different genres (one of my favorites is Maximo and the army of Zin), it's kinda big but can be put upright, it has by far the best controllers and graphics are also great.

So: 3rd: GC
2nd: X-box
1st: PS2

This is really being objective, I hate the x-box and like th GC more, but the Ps2 is still the best.

Matt & Vulpix
07-25-2004, 02:23 AM
I have nothing against the X-Box, I just haven't experimented enough with it to make such a good argument for or against it. I've played maybe like three games on it, all multiplayer games at my friend's house, and I can't really make a point on it.

But what Venusaur said is true, they are 'used' to the hardware. That doesn't mean that the X-Box can convert other 'major' titles to it, such as Zelda, Final Fantasy, and so on. But it does bring an advantage over programers of PC Games.

The GameCube is a fun system, though. They have a wide variety of games, and a lot of those can appeal to a lot of ages (Animal Crossing is loved by toddlers and even adults). It's also a good 'travel' system, as it has the handle (I frequently have to move my consoles around in my house, and I mind normally but the handle is so helpful, so I don't mind moving my GameCube).

Kenny_C.002
07-25-2004, 05:10 AM
Did I just see someone post "Microsoft" and "dominate" in the same sentence without the "not"? WHOA!

Sorry, but Mircosoft has always been known for being screwed up (mind my language) in ANY and ALL branches they've tapped into. Ask Jeeves? That was horrific. And sorry for paraphrasing PC mag too. :P

And has anyone tried RE:outbreak? lol on the loading time! :P
They need to get the processing speed up there or just say, "screw it with the CDs and DVDs, we're going with the hard drive." That's what PS2 needs, hard drive games, not ones on CDs and DVDs.

VenusaurTrainer
07-25-2004, 05:27 AM
Did I just see someone post "Microsoft" and "dominate" in the same sentence without the "not"? WHOA!

Sorry, but Mircosoft has always been known for being screwed up (mind my language) in ANY and ALL branches they've tapped into. Ask Jeeves? That was horrific. And sorry for paraphrasing PC mag too. :P

Have you not looked at the top selling game this past month? It's Spider Man 2 for the X-BOX! Also you say the Gamecube is the king of RPGs? You got to be kidding me. It has like what 5 RPG games for its system. Compared to X-Boxs 20. Don't diss the X-Box unless you know whats it's capable of.

DarkAeon
07-26-2004, 05:53 AM
I think of it like this. Systems are like computers. You can have the best upgraded computer with all the special trimmings on it, but the games(software) will most likely keep you going to that computer. So what I basically saying is. No matter the specs of a system, a system's worth is based on the games produce. And this is the reason I don't bash or have biased opinion on any one system. I play all system looking for all the good games, not just one system and limit myself to a few good games. In summary, GAMES make the system, not the SYSTEM makes the game

JoshE
07-26-2004, 12:24 PM
XBOX to me is fun; but it doesn't have a wide variety of games I like. It has one, maybe three games that I would want to play. Not worth me spending 250$ Canadian on :P

I found an XBOX for 99 bucks here. :silly:

art
07-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Also you say the Gamecube is the king of RPGs? You got to be kidding me. It has like what 5 RPG games for its system. Compared to X-Boxs 20. Don't diss the X-Box unless you know whats it's capable of.

I choose quality over quantity :ermm:

Matt & Vulpix
07-27-2004, 10:53 PM
I found an XBOX for 99 bucks here. :silly:

99$ american, which converts to 150$ canadian, which will (if I recall correctly) never happen here. Not that I'm looking to buy an XBOX anyways.

VT -> Spider-man 2 is a terrible game. It doesn't mean that because it sold the most that it's the best game (Eternal Darkness didn't make millions, but it was still a fantastic, excellent game).

DarkAeon -> Agreed
Art -> See DarkAeon XD

JoshE
07-28-2004, 12:51 AM
99$ american, which converts to 150$ canadian, which will (if I recall correctly) never happen here. Not that I'm looking to buy an XBOX anyways.

VT -> Spider-man 2 is a terrible game. It doesn't mean that because it sold the most that it's the best game (Eternal Darkness didn't make millions, but it was still a fantastic, excellent game).

DarkAeon -> Agreed
Art -> See DarkAeon XD

Slaps himself*

I forgot about that.

I doubt 99 US Currency is worth 150 Canadian Currency though.

Kenny_C.002
07-28-2004, 01:00 AM
it's still better than the price we pay: 230 dollars Canadian (tax included).

Anyway, I still haven't be convinced that Xbox has actual RPGs. I mean, the list given to me had games that my friends (hardcore RPG fans, you know those that paid 100 dollars for the game and guide and then play for like 50 hours straight before finally completing everything and get every secret...) would run away from. I'm still not completely convinced about Xbox being the better of the systems in terms of RPGs. I mean I still haven't seen anything the likes of FFX or even ToS. Remember: 20 "RPGs" don't mean 20 RPGs. :silly:

As for Spiderman 2, it's as bad a Resident Evil: Outbreak (IMO). And that's saying a LOT. lol

SSJ Metallica
07-28-2004, 05:04 AM
For me, Gamecube is King for Me.

The NGC has provided and still is providing versatile gaming titles from shooters to little kids games, along with games and characters that are unique to Nintendo (Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Starfox, Metroid, Pokemon, ect...). I've also noticed that Nintendo has been like the only system that has successfully brought about portable gaming (besides the Nokia N-Gage, but isn't as popular as the GBs), and improving each time as each of their regular consules have. I also have to say that the controllers of each Nintendo system are simpler to use than some other systems I know.

PS2 has my liking as well, but not as much as the NGC. The only thing I like about the PS2 is their games, but that's about it. Most of its games are designed for teens and adults (Do you see the average 8 year old owning a PS2?). Oh yeah, what's so special about the PS2 having a DVD player and a audio CD player when it's not portable? At the time when it was first released, DVD players had the average price about $300, but now I've seen DVD players as cheap as $50. As for an audio CD player, they've always been around since they first came out with CDs back in the '70s. The controllers are a bit more complex than Nintendo's are, but not as much as the X-Box's are to me. Come on, R1, R2, L1, and L2? NGC has the same type of games (just not as much), and it has only one button for R and L. The analog stick is cool, but the NGC has that too.

I haven't been around with a X-Box too much, but from what I've heard and seen, it's like an system of scarce authenticity (regarding its games, IMO) with a huge @$$ controller (Try to imagine your average 7-year old even able to grip it fully..). The graphics are good though, but that's the only thing that impresses me with another of Bill Gate's creation.

Combine all three systems in some way, and that'll make the ultimate consule.

Half a Dollar
07-28-2004, 05:15 AM
Have you not looked at the top selling game this past month? It's Spider Man 2 for the X-BOX! Also you say the Gamecube is the king of RPGs? You got to be kidding me. It has like what 5 RPG games for its system. Compared to X-Boxs 20. Don't diss the X-Box unless you know whats it's capable of.

You are kidding right? It's right if it's the other way around.

GCN is the king of RPGS. Because of Metroid,PC,and

ANIMAL CROSSING.

X-box has that fun RPG? No.

So, GCN is first.

then PS2 becuase
it has DW!

^_^

then it's X-box =\

X-box is made by Microsoft, which I really don't like, big controllers, and big system. =\

So in all, GCN>PS2>X-box

VenusaurTrainer
07-28-2004, 07:14 AM
You are kidding right? It's right if it's the other way around.

GCN is the king of RPGS. Because of Metroid,PC,and

ANIMAL CROSSING.

X-box has that fun RPG? No.

So, GCN is first.

then PS2 becuase
it has DW!

^_^

then it's X-box =\

X-box is made by Microsoft, which I really don't like, big controllers, and big system. =\

So in all, GCN>PS2>X-box

Metroid and PC are not RPGs. Also regarding X-Boxs large controller. After the first couple of months the X-Box was launched the remade the controller to be smaller. So don't complain about the size of the controller.

art
07-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Art -> See DarkAeon XD

Dude, I duid say like "wide array of games" and stuff, so don't say I didn't think about too. indeed, that is a very important aspect, but when there's doubt, the console itself matters too.

JoshE
07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
it's still better than the price we pay: 230 dollars Canadian (tax included).

Its good to be american. :cool: