PDA

View Full Version : Gyro Ball and other moves w/ undetermined power

ZadokRox
02-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Okay, I've noticed that some of the new moves like Gyro Ball has variable strength depending on certain factors. I understand that Gyro Ball's strength is based on the opponent's speed, but how so? Is Gyro Ball stronger or weaker if the opponent is slow?

And what about moves like Hurl? What items makes the move strong?

Deoxys2000
02-02-2007, 04:08 AM
What Do you mean?

Dilop
02-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Some of the new moves are very confusing...

Leman
02-02-2007, 04:15 AM
I think the faster the mon, the more powerful Gyro Ball is. I think that its power is equal to the base speed of the mon.

Deoxys2000
02-02-2007, 04:21 AM
I think the faster the mon, the more powerful Gyro Ball is. I think that its power is equal to the base speed of the mon.
Lol!!!.Just Imagine If Speed Deoxys Has One ^_^.

gun6
02-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Hmm... I think that it depends on the opponent's speed, but I'm not sure. If that's true, it really only counters Jynx, Aerodactyl, and Sneasel. I'm going to guess that it'll only be used on fun movesets with Trick Room or something.

Deoxys2000
02-02-2007, 04:31 AM
Hmm... I think that it depends on the opponent's speed, but I'm not sure. If that's true, it really only counters Jynx, Aerodactyl, and Sneasel. I'm going to guess that it'll only be used on fun movesets with Trick Room or something.
Yeah I Heard Of Giga Attack That Regigigas Has.
It Has a Strength Of 150.

gun6
02-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Giga Attack is basically a physical Hyper Beam that was placed in there because of the attack-type split. (Hyper Beam is now special, so Giga Attack is physical.)

In other words, it's not that good, even with Regigigas's STAB (being Normal-type).

I'm kinda interested about the move "Squeeze", because Jynx learns it and it's based on how much HP the opponent has. I can imagine the terror a Timid Jynx could cause with it if it basically brings a full-HP Pokemon down to a fraction of how much HP it had.

Deoxys2000
02-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Giga Attack is basically a physical Hyper Beam that was placed in there because of the attack-type split. (Hyper Beam is now special, so Giga Attack is physical.)

In other words, it's not that good, even with Regigigas's STAB (being Normal-type).

I'm kinda interested about the move "Squeeze", because Jynx learns it and it's based on how much HP the opponent has. I can imagine the terror a Timid Jynx could cause with it if it basically brings a full-HP Pokemon down to a fraction of how much HP it had.
I Heard Of Heart Swap That Manaphy Has.
It's So Popular. Manaphy Learns it Lv76.

I Don't Really Know What Does it Do. Only a Little! xD.

pichu757
02-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Okay, I've noticed that some of the new moves like Gyro Ball has variable strength depending on certain factors. I understand that Gyro Ball's strength is based on the opponent's speed, but how so? Is Gyro Ball stronger or weaker if the opponent is slow?

And what about moves like Hurl? What items makes the move strong?

Why Gyro ball? why not Mud bomb or anything?! :confused: :oops:

Deoxys2000
02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Gyro Ball is a Cool Name!

ZadokRox
02-02-2007, 01:54 PM

Because I know that Mud Bomb's attack power is 65. But Gyro Ball's attack power is not specified, but instead is based on the opponent's speed. If it's true that Gyro Ball is more powerful against faster opponents, that would be great. :D

Now any ideas about what items makes Hurl powerful?

TheStoneRegisteel
02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Hurl items? I wouldn't say Hold Items, cause they're for holding. Maybe berries would be good? Also, I think it might involve catching as well. Your partners on Red HP in a 2-P Battle, and then your Pelliper hurls a berry at it, healing it to full HP. I think it would be a great situation to use that there.

Dragon Tamer Connor
02-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Hurls maximum power is 130, which is done by hurling a Black Steel Orb. Gyro Balls power is Opponents Speed * 25 / Your Speed, with the power capping out at 150 and being as low as 5.

Tidus24
02-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Gyroball deppends of foe's speed:

Using an example, non-steel pkm:
Typhlosion against Raichu
Gyroball dmg = Raichu speed.
If I use base stats as an example. Gyroball dmg = Raichu Speed = 100
If used by a steel pkm would be. Gyroball dmg = Raichu Speed + (Raichu Speed/2- stab points)= 100 + 50 = 150. The faster the foe, bigger is the damage.

Grass Rope deppends of foe's weight:
Imagine this attack against Snorlax.
Non-grass pkm--> Grass rope= Snorlax weight = 1041,1
grass pkm--> Grass rope = Snorlax weight + (Snorlax weight/2) = 1041,1 + 520,55 = 1561,65. The heaviest the foe, bigger is the damage.

Woodchuck
02-04-2007, 03:58 PM
So in a loose sense, Gyro Ball is a little like Seismic Toss right? I mean, Seismic Toss's damage depends on the foe's level, so it's kind of the same principle with Gyro Ball, except that Gyro Ball's damage depends on the foe's speed instead of their health. Just tell me if I'm wrong.

Leman
02-04-2007, 04:09 PM
So in a loose sense, Gyro Ball is a little like Seismic Toss right? I mean, Seismic Toss's damage depends on the foe's level, so it's kind of the same principle with Gyro Ball, except that Gyro Ball's damage depends on the foe's speed instead of their health. Just tell me if I'm wrong.

Seismic Toss deals with the users level, not the opponents.

Dragon Tamer Connor
02-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Gyroball deppends of foe's speed:

Using an example, non-steel pkm:
Typhlosion against Raichu
Gyroball dmg = Raichu speed.
If I use base stats as an example. Gyroball dmg = Raichu Speed = 100
If used by a steel pkm would be. Gyroball dmg = Raichu Speed + (Raichu Speed/2- stab points)= 100 + 50 = 150. The faster the foe, bigger is the damage.

what

it doesn't use base speeds at all. your formula is incorrect in that Gyro Balls power is based on the relation between your speed and your opponents speed, someting that your formula lacks (you only have the opponents speed involved).
Grass Rope deppends of foe's weight:
Imagine this attack against Snorlax.
Non-grass pkm--> Grass rope= Snorlax weight = 1041,1
grass pkm--> Grass rope = Snorlax weight + (Snorlax weight/2) = 1041,1 + 520,55 = 1561,65. The heaviest the foe, bigger is the damage.
what

Weight Power
Lower than 10kg 20
10.1kg - 25.0kg 40
25.1kg - 50.0kg 60
50.1kg - 100.0kg 80
100.1kg - 200.0kg 100
Higher than 200.1kg >= 120

is how the power of Grass Rope is determined (keep in mind that pokemons weight is in pounds, not kilograms, so you need to be around 440 pounds to get the max power).

Deoxys2000
02-05-2007, 12:56 PM
what
is how the power of Grass Rope is determined (keep in mind that pokemons weight is in pounds, not kilograms, so you need to be around 440 pounds to get the max power).

So That's The Effect.....

Tidus24
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
what

it doesn't use base speeds at all. your formula is incorrect in that Gyro Balls power is based on the relation between your speed and your opponents speed, someting that your formula lacks (you only have the opponents speed involved).

what

Weight Power
Lower than 10kg 20
10.1kg - 25.0kg 40
25.1kg - 50.0kg 60
50.1kg - 100.0kg 80
100.1kg - 200.0kg 100
Higher than 200.1kg >= 120

I used base stat as an example, I didn't said that relies on foe's base stat. About Grass Rope, I used the serebii pokedex info, it's logical that the english game uses pounds.
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/143.shtml
Snorlax weights 1041,1 lbs.

About the Gyroball and grass rope dmg calculation, where you saw that info?? Or it's your opinion?? And tell me where's the site.

Dragon Tamer Connor
02-05-2007, 09:28 PM
About the Gyroball and grass rope dmg calculation, where you saw that info?? Or it's your opinion?? And tell me where's the site.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=301429

for Gyro Ball, from someone who actually has the game and has tested this.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306415

under the assumption that Grase Rope works exactly like Low Kick.

Deoxys2000
02-06-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=301429

for Gyro Ball, from someone who actually has the game and has tested this.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=306415

under the assumption that Grase Rope works exactly like Low Kick.
+ Grass Rope is Exactly Like Low Kick + ( Cool! )