PDA

View Full Version : New Nintendo DS Capabilities

bigdog
02-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Larger sized carts coming.
Way back when the Nintendo DS was revealed, Nintendo veep Reggie File-Aimes mentioned that cart sizes could go up to a gigabit in size. Or, more specifically, 128 megabytes. Several high-profile games have hit that point in just two years of the system's life, and more ambitious developers will demand more space for their products. With full-motion video ***** like Square Enix fully on-board the Nintendo DS train, Nintendo will likely put two and four gigabit cartridge media (256 and 512 megabyte) on the development order sheet in 2007 to encourage PlayStation-like game presentations with enormous rendered cutscenes, introductions, and endings, as well as voice-overs and full-on licensed soundtracks. These carts would, of course, be made at a premium, with the prices passed down to the consumer in higher game costs.

The Play-Yan concept will be expanded in a version made specifically for the Nintendo DS, adding the media playback function via removable media that PlayStation Portable owners have been enjoying since Day One. It wouldn't take over for iPod, but it would definitely open up a world of opportunity...possibly even giving DS games the potential for custom soundtracks.

Opera Browser quietly ships in the US.

The DS Opera Browser's been available in Japan for months. It's also hit the European territories, and hey...Australia just got it as well. But what about the United States? Why doesn't Nintendo of America want us to surf the web on the Nintendo DS?

To be honest, the DS Opera Browser sort of...blows. It's not the fault of the Opera guys -- the Nintendo DS doesn't have a lot of processing power or memory to really give people the full-blown web experience, and there's a lot of compromising going on to get the DS to surf across the World Wide Web. You can certainly get from point A to B, but it'll be a long trip since the speed of the browser isn't what you'd consider a speedy experience.

It wouldn't take a whole lot of effort to finally get the browser in the hands of North American Nintendo DS owners, but we're guessing that the retail stores aren't really all that interested in stocking something that's entirely a niche SKU. Our prediction is that the browser, which is already available in an English language version (EU and AU), will be available in the first half of 2007...but only in an online capacity. Much like the limited release of Electroplankton. It's a safe way of getting the browsing capabilities in the hands of DS owners without really doing a whole lot of promotion.

Brand new colors.

White, black, and pink are so 2006. It's time for some new hues, and we'll be getting our fair share of them in North America. Expect some special edition colors in 2007 that can only be purchased at specific retail stores. Remember the special Toys R Us and Target GBA systems? Same deal.

Nintendo hints at Next Gen Nintendo DS

Nintendo's not one to completely shy away from talking about the next iteration of its gaming products, even if the current generation product is still riding high on the wave. We expect some talk about a Nintendo DS II product -- the DS branding is incredibly strong now, so it's no mystery that Nintendo will want to continue the idea of the dual-screen touch screen gaming format. 2007 won't see a new DS system, but it will certainly be a year where Nintendo will talk about the future.

What would we expect out of the Nintendo DS? Both screens touchable with the ability for multiple touchpoints at the same time. Enhanced 3D capabilities on par with GameCube. More memory for full-on, fast web browsing. Bluetooth connectivity for direct Wii connection. Picture and audio playback. And, of course, full backward compatibility with the existing Nintendo DS software.

From Ign.com

spartan117
02-05-2007, 11:41 PM
OMG Bluetooth for the DS...That would rock!!!!!

Adonis
02-06-2007, 04:52 AM
NDS 2?!? didnt the NDSL just come like few months ago?:eh:

Deoxys2000
02-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Nintendo Ds 2? But......I'v Got a Ds Lite Well,a Big Chance I'm Gonna Buy it.

Really Cool Idea. I Wish Phone and Sending Messages is Supported. ^_^

bigdog
02-06-2007, 02:11 PM
There are rumors circulating about the "Nintendo Ds 2 "having Game Cube graphics . I'm also speculating that since we will have larger carts, it could mean that Square Enix could be making a port of Final Fantasy VII to the ds in '07 or about another Final Fantasy game.

Deoxys2000
02-06-2007, 04:22 PM
There are rumors circulating about the "Nintendo Ds 2 "having Game Cube graphics . I'm also speculating that since we will have larger carts, it could mean that Square Enix could be making a port of Final Fantasy VII to the ds in '07 or about another Final Fantasy game.
YAY!!! I Wish It Can Be Like Final Fantasy III For The Ds ^^.

bigdog
02-07-2007, 09:26 PM
NDS 2?!? didnt the NDSL just come like few months ago?:eh:

It's a whole different concept, and it isn't like the lite, it is an upgrade of the ds.

Elite2007
02-07-2007, 09:55 PM
where did u get all of this info from?

Deoxys2000
02-08-2007, 02:19 AM
where did u get all of this info from?
Yeah?

Tamer Marco
02-08-2007, 02:29 AM
This is interesting, but as Bd said, the PSP has been doing this stuff (and better) from day one. :)

Professor Geoffrey
02-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Is this thing coming out soon? I hope not, or I just wasted $162.99 on a DS lite pack at Costco! (For my report card, she gave me $180, and she let me cut off the extra $32 since I worked so hard for my good grades. The extra $32 was for Yoshi's Island DS, it came with the DS, including a DS chip game case (a little case that looks like one of those badge holds that Ash has in the Anime, exept it holds the little game chips, and a DS Lite stylus, that also came with a glow-in-the dark stylus (don't like that stylus too much). It better come out sometime, uh, next year.