PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS or PSP?

Lil Booo
02-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Which do you think is better? Nintendo DS or Playstation portable (PSP)

stokeyblokey
02-24-2007, 01:55 PM
the ds as it plays pokemon and the psp has tiny battery life.

Iridium
02-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I prefer Nintendo DS.

stokeyblokey
02-24-2007, 02:20 PM
you can chat to your friends or battle or trade on the ds,and the stylus is cool. and they've got more variety of games.

Iridium
02-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes, DS is much better.

MysticAura
02-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Nintendo DS all the way!!

dud3
02-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Well the psp has good games that can go online like socom, twisted meatal, etc.
But the Ds is way more fun with mario kart and now pokemon.

Elmo's Heaven!!
02-25-2007, 05:47 AM
I picked the PSP, partly because you can put mp3 files on it.

Linoone
02-25-2007, 05:49 AM
I have never had a psp so I picked Nintendo DS

Soda
02-25-2007, 05:53 AM
Ive got Both but Im still going with DS i meen PSP its to complicated to get on the internet its good it can play music and movies but im sure there gonnam make games wit movies and music on them for DS plus DS already has Pokemon episodes for DS!

-Starly-
02-25-2007, 05:53 AM
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=17568
This pretty much proves that the PSP is no match for the DS.

Tory vs Meaty II
02-25-2007, 06:05 AM
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=17568
This pretty much proves that the PSP is no match for the DS.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7593&d=1171968251

LOl, I don't get why my high school have a PSP, does anyone in this forum have a school that the only handheld system they like is PSP? I hate the PSP, it sucks, I do not get why my school hates the Nintendo DS so much, I need to tranfer far any. I have nothing in common to talk to anyone at my school, that is how much my life sucks. I wish I can go back to the place I have went to, I hate Atlanta, Georgia, I hope it burns to the ground so it will be a peaceful place to live so all the mean people will just go away.

Lucavi
02-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Nintendo DS easily. The psp may have more functions, but it's mediocre at best at them, and the ds has way better games

Lil Booo
02-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Nintendo DS easily. The psp may have more functions, but it's mediocre at best at them, and the ds has way better games
yep and the DS is much simpler to use

kitten_Gal
02-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Ds all the way http://pics.livejournal.com/rgmusashi/pic/0006bh77.jpg See Ds is the best

Lil Booo
02-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Ds all the way http://pics.livejournal.com/rgmusashi/pic/0006bh77.jpg See Ds is the best
lol i wish :happy:

skiboydoggy
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
There has to be a reason why the DS is outselling the PS3 in Japan apart from crappy marketing on Sony's part, so I say... DS.

Tamer Marco
02-25-2007, 03:01 PM
The PSP is a far better piece of hardware right now. But the DS has the better games currently. Going on just the hardware (as the DS's graphics don't hold a candle to the PSP's), I say PSP.

Oh, and this is quite a dumb poll, considering this forum has a bunch of Poke/Nintendophiles... everyone knows what everyone else is going to pick.

Lil Booo
02-25-2007, 05:35 PM
The PSP is a far better piece of hardware right now. But the DS has the better games currently. Going on just the hardware (as the DS's graphics don't hold a candle to the PSP's), I say PSP.

Oh, and this is quite a dumb poll, considering this forum has a bunch of Poke/Nintendophiles... everyone knows what everyone else is going to pick.
yeah well some people like PSP much better its not just your opinion you know! so dont tell me whats wrong or right

Kenny_C.002
02-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Depends on your starting point and what you want to do. Generally DS is a more social machine in comparison to the PSP. However, it is the PSP that has the stronger hardware capabilities.

gun6
02-25-2007, 05:58 PM

*Ahem* WRONG! In case if you haven't noticed, the PSP is mediocre and does not bring anything to the table. If anything, the PSP is a 3D Gameboy Advance with too many buttons, random functions, and the amazing ability to be destroyed in almost any circumstance that the GBA or DS could survive in. While the PSP might be "balanced" with the things it can do, it doesn't perform those things that well. Music: Get an iPod, which is smaller and most likely cheaper. Games: LOL GAMES ON THE PSP *har har har*! Only thing it has in this department is graphics, and even the "best" games are outclassed by at least one DS title. Not everybody can play online multiplayer either. ;/ Movies: HAY GUESS WHAT! LET'S BUY ANOTHER FORM OF A MOVIE WE MOST LIKELY ALREADY OWN (Or download random videos off the interweb)! No. If there are any other functions that could be deemed useful, please tell me.

The DS brings innovation with its touch-screen and other features, as well as having great games. It also has, *gasp*, different colors! Great, now we don't have to worry about wasting even more money to get a color that should have been available in the first place (or using those stickers that I hate).

Your statement is invalid. If the PSP was actually useful, I would buy it.

Orthar
02-25-2007, 06:02 PM
PSP has better graphics by far.

Tory vs Meaty II
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't see anyone with a white PSP anymore, :(

Clutch
02-25-2007, 08:16 PM
*Ahem* WRONG! In case if you haven't noticed, the PSP is mediocre and does not bring anything to the table. If anything, the PSP is a 3D Gameboy Advance with too many buttons, random functions, and the amazing ability to be destroyed in almost any circumstance that the GBA or DS could survive in. While the PSP might be "balanced" with the things it can do, it doesn't perform those things that well. Music: Get an iPod, which is smaller and most likely cheaper. Games: LOL GAMES ON THE PSP *har har har*! Only thing it has in this department is graphics, and even the "best" games are outclassed by at least one DS title. Not everybody can play online multiplayer either. ;/ Movies: HAY GUESS WHAT! LET'S BUY ANOTHER FORM OF A MOVIE WE MOST LIKELY ALREADY OWN (Or download random videos off the interweb)! No. If there are any other functions that could be deemed useful, please tell me.

The DS brings innovation with its touch-screen and other features, as well as having great games. It also has, *gasp*, different colors! Great, now we don't have to worry about wasting even more money to get a color that should have been available in the first place (or using those stickers that I hate).

Your statement is invalid. If the PSP was actually useful, I would buy it.
<3
PSP has better graphics by far.
And, that has to do with what? Graphics mean nothing. Well, close to nothing. Some of my favorite games don't have the best graphics, but they do have a great storyline, and outstanding gameplay. The PSP is very much like a Game Boy, just with good graphics, and an overload of buttons, as Gun said. Also, it only has 4-5 hours of battery life, which sucks. I have both a DS and PSP. If I had to keep one of them, it'd be my DS, hands down.

Tamer Marco
02-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Your statement is invalid. If the PSP was actually useful, I would buy it.Downloading music and movies IS useful. :rolleyes: The PSP has different colors mind you, and the DS didn't have different colors when it started, so take some a damn reality pill please. The PSP is a multi-media tool that was designed to have some kind of way to be everything that someone wanted, only portable and played games. And as far as i'm concerend, the DS's touch screen is only a gimmick as far as i'm concered. When you see 1 awesome game on the DS, you've got a million other idiotic choices to choose from. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon anyone?

See what happens when you have an opinion? You get flamed by some stupid nintendo freak that thinks whatever nintendo creates is some godly invention. When its actually just some system that it's entire structure is a gimmick.

Lucavi
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
The problem i find with the psp being a tool with multi-uses is that it defeats the purpose of a console which is to specialize as much as possible within the gaming department. Sony thought that it could balance the lack of game franchises by adding those extra features on the psp, but it's beyond doubt that they were wrong.

I honestly fail to see how the touch screen is a gimmick when it's actually quite innovative in terms of precedence, since very few games have ever run the same way. And having idiotic choices for games means nothing if you have a few other games that sell much more than all the psp games thrown together.

And for those who say that the psp has better hardware engine: Have you ever bothered to look at the specs? Last time i checked, the DS has way better rendering and polygon blending, which is all a console needs

groudon6_6_6
02-25-2007, 08:28 PM
That money pic is hilarious. I voted for DS because it's got Diamond and Pearl. And PsP has got.........(dunno)

Tamer Marco
02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
The problem i find with the psp being a tool with multi-uses is that it defeats the purpose of a console which is to specialize as much as possible within the gaming department. Sony thought that it could balance the lack of game franchises by adding those extra features on the psp, but it's beyond doubt that they were wrong.

I honestly fail to see how the touch screen is a gimmick when it's actually quite innovative in terms of precedence, since very few games have ever run the same way. And having idiotic choices for games means nothing if you have a few other games that sell much more than all the psp games thrown together.

And for those who say that the psp has better hardware engine: Have you ever bothered to look at the specs? Last time i checked, the DS has way better rendering and polygon blending, which is all a console needsThey weren't wrong about people wanting multi-uses out of they're gaming systems. Look at the Xbox 360, and PS3 are doing the same thing, only on a much higher scale. The only problem with this for the PSP is that people don't want to pay that much for a handheld.

And how exactly is the DS using that "better" hardware engine? Last time I checked, the ugliest PSP game looked 10x times better than the most amazing looking DS game.

Lucavi
02-25-2007, 08:40 PM
They weren't wrong about people wanting multi-uses out of they're gaming systems. Look at the Xbox 360, and PS3 are doing the same thing, only on a much higher scale. The only problem with this for the PSP is that people don't want to pay that much for a handheld.

The problem with this comparison is that the "scale" you're talking about is not proportional to the engine of the psp, thus why it's mediocre. The price here is not really the most important matter, it's the lack of an outstanding game or feature that the psp lacks

And how exactly is the DS using that "better" hardware engine? Last time I checked, the ugliest PSP game looked 10x times better than the most amazing looking DS game.

lol. Last time i checked the DS performed quadruple Alpha blending while the psp doesn't; last time i checked the DS can blend 31 polygons at a time while the psp only blends 24; last time i checked, the DS has 7 Direct Texture modes, while the psp has 5.

You're basing your argument on perception, while i'm basing mine on objective specifications.

Tamer Marco
02-25-2007, 08:45 PM
The problem with this comparison is that the "scale" you're talking about is not proportional to the engine of the psp, thus why it's mediocre. The price here is not really the most important matter, it's the lack of an outstanding game or feature that the psp lacks

lol. Last time i checked the DS performed quadruple Alpha blending while the psp doesn't; last time i checked the DS can blend 31 polygons at a time while the psp only blends 24; last time i checked, the DS has 7 Direct Texture modes, while the psp has 5.

You're basing your argument on perception, while i'm basing mine on objective specifications.

You are right about one thing, as I mentioned earlier. The PSP doesn't have a killer app yet. Still no reason not to buy it though.

And with the DS still, even with those specs, the developers aren't using them apparently, because nearly every DS game i've seen has been less than mediocre in graphics. So again, whats the point of even listing the graphical specs of the DS if they still don't compare when you actually look at them. Hm?

Lucavi
02-25-2007, 08:51 PM
And with the DS still, even with those specs, the developers aren't using them apparently, because nearly every DS game i've seen has been less than mediocre in graphics. So again, whats the point of even listing the graphical specs of the DS if they still don't compare when you actually look at them. Hm?

uh, what are you talking about? DP is the first and only game from a portable console as of now to have partial 3D plus double DMA transfers. How is that not using the graphical engines? The DS is a new console, of course it isn't going to exploit all its capabilities in the first games. What you're saying is that people shouldn't buy a console (With a lot of potential) because it hasn't shown what it can do in the first few years, which is just nonsense

Tamer Marco
02-25-2007, 08:56 PM
uh, what are you talking about? DP is the first and only game from a portable console as of now to have partial 3D plus double DMA transfers. How is that not using the graphical engines? The DS is a new console, of course it isn't going to exploit all its capabilities in the first games. What you're saying is that people shouldn't buy a console (With a lot of potential) because it hasn't shown what it can do in the first few years, which is just nonsenseNow I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know what you said about DMA transfers or whatever, but you're acting like its the best looking handheld game the world has ever seen. Which it probably isn't. And the PSP is even younger than the DS, do you still expect it to exploit it's X-factor after two(?) years of it just coming out, and the company doing its first experience with the handheld market?

Lucavi
02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
And the PSP is even younger than the DS, do you still expect it to exploit it's X-factor after two(?) years of it just coming out, and the company doing its first experience with the handheld market?

Exploit what, exactly? Do you know the psp specs? If you knew about the engines of both consoles, you'd realize the DS is easily better in terms of Hardware, it is arguably better in terms of games franchises, but it lacks the "extra features" the psp has. There's very little to argue here, really

Leman
02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I voted DS, cause I dont have a PSP.

Nirvash
02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't know what's going on this thread. I don't care either. I just know that the definition of PSP is all summed up in Gun's post. :P

Tamer Marco
02-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Exploit what, exactly? Do you know the psp specs? If you knew about the engines of both consoles, you'd realize the DS is easily better in terms of Hardware, it is arguably better in terms of games franchises, but it lacks the "extra features" the psp has. There's very little to argue here, really
They need to exploit the thing that'll actually boost PSP sales. Its possibly better, when it comes to franchises now, as all of the Mario and blah blah blah developers are so eager to make some money, but the PSP still has a few franchises that rule. And until the DS actually proves that the hardware is better when it comes to graphics and everything, there really isn't a point of even explaining that.

And as I said earlier, this is a Pokemon forum. The PSP isn't going to get nearly as many votes anyway.

Lucavi
02-25-2007, 09:09 PM
No one has to prove that the DS is better than the PSP in terms of graphics. It is a fact.

As for what the psp is going to exploit, i'm not sure what else they may have, as they released a FF game, as well as other popular titles, but with very little success compared to what the DS has done

Lord Voldemort
02-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Thats funny.... DS, becuase its cheaper, plays pokemon games, and I have one. Plus, it has WiFi

STORMTROOPER X
02-26-2007, 02:08 AM
DS. PSP's a big fat sorry joke for a game system.

Kenny_C.002
02-26-2007, 03:20 AM
Well game-wise, I wouldn't count PSP out of the runnings. Then again, this is coming from a guy who hated Mario Kart DS, but liked Phoenix Wright. Of course, the one reason why the PSP is a must-have machine (aside from easily hacking it to become a blackberry without the phone):
VP: Lenneth.

Volcanflame
02-26-2007, 03:33 AM
DS, even though I don't have one D:

-Volcan-

Ultima Boss
02-26-2007, 05:51 AM
For me, I would say the DS. First off, while the PSP is getting remakes (Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles and FFT) the DS is getting the new titles (FFXII-2 and FFTA-2). Secondly, the DS (combined with GBA-playability) has more games I'd be willing to play than the PSP.

Of course, the PSP has few games I want for it: Metal Gear Solid: Portable OPs and Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (since it's never been released overseas), but enough for me to burn out my wallet.

Even though PSP is more of a diverse gadget, who cares? Most (if not all) the gimmicks in it have already been released (in the form of the iPod, to be specific).

Vaporeon
02-28-2007, 11:52 PM
I voted for the DS. :cool:

vgbri
03-01-2007, 07:46 PM
A few months ago there was a topic like this. I voted the DS with its superior touch screen and Mario/Pokemon games. After owning both for a period of time I enjoy the PSP's graphics equal too or greater than the playstation 2 or better, its ability top play music, videos, and even surf the web and post sites (I have done it here but it takes a long time) and the fact that it plays games like Daxter, Tony Hawk's project 8, and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters for only $50 more (maybe its less I cant remember) I have to say PSP. Sorry DS fans.

Poltergeist
03-01-2007, 08:58 PM
This is Sonys first jump into the portable system foray so I would check back later, if they are still around, to see how well they are doing after having some experience. Anyway at the moment I would rather take a DS over the PSP mostly because too many off the PSPs games are console remakes and Nintendos games at the moment have many more quirky games I would want then the PSP. True the PSP has better graphics and music capabilitys but thats what I pods are for and I don't buy games based on graphics but how well they play.

Espeon EX
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
DS is way better, i don't care how cool a PSP is, but the games that the PSP have are just not my kind, now the Ds is the real deal for me. (:P

Professor Geoffrey
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I've never ever played on a PSP before, but I do like the Nintendo DS is good. So, I voted for DS.

Starly
03-03-2007, 04:55 AM
i like Nintedo DS better as it has some features than the regular DS. so i vote for DS

Lil Booo
03-04-2007, 11:57 AM
lol ds rules

PokéJungle
03-04-2007, 11:59 AM
DS of course.

It's more innovative than Sony's handheld, and I'd always vote against Sony in any poll.

Lil Booo
03-04-2007, 04:28 PM
i believe the psp was a way for sony just to make money

Lord Voldemort
03-04-2007, 05:02 PM
i believe the psp was a way for sony just to make money

Any video games that anyone makes is a way for them to make more money. Thats the whole point of manufacturing them.

XD375
03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Any video games that anyone makes is a way for them to make more money. Thats the whole point of manufacturing them.
The Nintendo DS is better gamewise, but, harwarewise, the PSP takes the spot. It plays videos and music, views pictures, and also plays emulated software for all the evil-doers out there.

But the touch screen on the DS helps it controlwise!

Lil Booo
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
i ment to make quick money all you had to do was make the ps2 smaller

Shadow From The Deep
03-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I love the Nintendo DS, it has great games **coughpokemoncough** and the PSP is ok it has too small of a battery.

Alienshroom
03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Da DS rules! Pokemon its just great.