PDA

View Full Version : Shakespeare

Alonso
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know the style of poetry shakespeare used?

----
1. Poetry style of Shakespeare:Answered

2. Meaning of Shortened Words:
a) i': Unanswered
b) a': Unanswered
c) e'ev: Unanswered

3. Why did men play the female parts of women in Shakespeare's plays:Answered

4. Where did Shakespeare live most of his life:Unanswered

Pooka
03-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes, it was sonnet.

Its structure is 14 lines, each with 10 unstressed and 10 stressed syllables.

I spent about half a term writing these things, they're not fun.:susp:

Alonso
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes, it was sonnet.

Its structure is 14 lines, each with 10 unstressed and 10 stressed syllables.

I spent about half a term writing these things, they're not fun.:susp:

That's what I told my teacher but she said, no. It's another word. And a common characteristic of the style he used was that it didn't rhyme. Anyone else might know?

Also what do these words mean gi', i', a', e'ev.

All I know is that 'tis = it is and o'er = over (now the Star Spangled Banner makes sense)

Pooka
03-04-2007, 05:57 PM
That's what I told my teacher but she said, no. It's another word. And a common characteristic of the style he used was that it didn't rhyme.

Yeah they didn't always rythme but WTF!!! It was sonnets!?:goofy:

Nick_Roge
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
do you by chance mean an Elizibethian Sonnet?

Alonso
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
do you by chance mean an Elizibethian Sonnet?

I don't know, you tell me. I'm asking. Can you answer the other question too? The one about the weird words?

Pooka
03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Also what do these words mean gi', ne'er, i', e'er, oft, a', e'ev.

All I know is that 'tis = it is and o'er = over (now the Star Spangled Banner makes sense)

Its old english, I'm sure you can find a translation somewhere on the net.

Alonso
03-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I tried, but I'll keep looking. I also found the answer to my question in the Introduction of the Romeo and Juliet book I have. Iambic Pentameter.

Another point on Shakespeare. Why did men play the parts of women in his plays? and where did Shakespeare live most of his life?

RouteMaster
03-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I tried, but I'll keep looking. I also found the answer to my question in the Introduction of the Romeo and Juliet book I have. Iambic Pentameter.

Another point on Shakespeare. Why did men play the parts of women in his plays? and where did Shakespeare live most of his life?

Men played women because at that time women were not allowed to act on the stage. The C17th sucked if you were female. As did C18th, C19th and C20th etc...but that's a different debate.

Shakespeare lived all of his life in Warwickshire, England.

Alonso
03-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Shakespeare lived all of his life in Warwickshire, England.

No he didn't. He couldn't have stayed there forever. I asked for most of his life. And could you give me a city, not a county or shire. One of the companies he worked for was King's Men and that was in London.

Lucavi
03-04-2007, 10:41 PM
As far as his style goes, i believe he wrote in an allegoric way called "Tudor morality" (Meaning he wrote in a symbolic way). At the end of his career, he turned to Secular drama. But if you what you're looking for is the structure of his plays, i think it was sonnet too

i';a' and e'ev are abreviations of other words. i' means probably "in"; a' may be "at". I have no idea about e'ev though. If you could post the context you found them in, it would be easier

As Routemaster pointed it out, Men played Women's role because women were forbidden from acting. The prohibition was ended in the reign of Charles II who enjoyed watching female actresses

Iirc, he lived most of his life at Stratford, and was burried in that same place

RouteMaster
03-05-2007, 03:46 PM
No he didn't. He couldn't have stayed there forever. I asked for most of his life.

You are of course right ,my apologies. It appears he lived in London from 1592 until 1613, when he retired to his hometown of Stratford-upon-Avon. So considering he was born in 1564, that puts him 31 years in Stratford-upon-Avon and 21 years in London.

You've probably looked this up but this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare#London_and_theatrical_career) provides some pretty good info on Shakespeare's life.