PDA

View Full Version : GCSE/A Levels

RouteMaster
03-08-2007, 07:07 PM
If you're in the UK you'll probably sit these exams. So if you are what subjects are you carrying to GCSE and A Level or which subjects have you carried?

At GCSE I'm studying; English, English Literature, Maths, Additional Maths, Biology, Geography, Chemistry, Physics, German and R.S. (Short Course).

And I've just chosen my A Levels; Geography, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Though I'll have to wait until I've sat my GCSEs and got the results before I can confirm these choices.

Pooka
03-08-2007, 07:23 PM
We have them in South Africa aswell as it used to be former British colony.

I'm taking mine this year. English, English Lit., Add Maths, Maths, Bioligy, Chemistry, Physics (Although the 3 sciences put together only count as 2 grades for some reason), History, Spanish, Art, Drama and P.E.

I took dutch 5 years early (obviously because I am Dutch) and got an A* and then took French a year early and got an A* aswell.

My A Level choices are English Language, French, History and Drama/P.E haven't quite decided on that one yet.

I took Dutch last year and got an A* (duh:tongue: ).

I was going to take Afrikaans aswell as I can speak that but I decided it wouldn't really get me that far in life unfortunatley.

Alonso
03-08-2007, 11:20 PM
I moved away from the US. Went to a British school (I don't live in the UK, though) so I gotta do the IGCSE. The International version of the GCSE. And I am kind of lost of the A things.

All I know is that there are Extended and Core. On core the best grade you can get is a C and in the Extended the highest you can get it A* (I thought it was A plus). The IGCSEs I'm taking are or will be taking if I pay:
Math (I think I can't take the extended for this one because I'm not in the top set, WTF!)
Economics (Extended)
History (Extended)
Coordinated Science (Extended) (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, count as 2 grades like the other guy said)
English Literature/Language (Extended)

I think that's about it. I hope to take extended for all possible to get the best grade possible. Something that I find strange is that the teachers tell me, if your aiming for B or C...WTF what do you mean aiming! Just go for the A*. That's the attitude you should have.

RouteMaster
03-10-2007, 01:39 PM
I think that's about it. I hope to take extended for all possible to get the best grade possible. Something that I find strange is that the teachers tell me, if your aiming for B or C...WTF what do you mean aiming! Just go for the A*. That's the attitude you should have.

Yeah I agree, here we have foundation and higher and teachers enter you according to your ability and what you want to be entered as. In foundation you can only obtain a C, which is a pass, but the exam is much easier which means you're less likely to gain a grade D, E, F or U and fail the exam. Alot of our teachers push students to sit foundation but I agree with Alonso, you should aim to get as high a grade as possible.

Your science blocks sound similar to what we call here Double Award Science and Triple Award Science, in Double Award you gain two GCSEs for sitting a shorter course and in Triple Award you get three GCSEs for sitting a longer course than the D.A. candidates. There is a Single Award, but I don't personally know anyone who studies it and I think it's worth one GCSE.