PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics Dicsussion!

JoshE
08-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Who is representing your country? Who do you think should win the gold? What game are you looking foward to the most?!?

Welcome to the Olympics Chat!

http://www.shield.fi/circles.gif

For more information about the Olympics go to:

Athens Games 2004 (http://www.athens2004.com/)

mlugia
08-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I'll say this...

GO CHINA GO!

JoshE
08-11-2004, 01:51 PM
I'll say this...

GO CHINA GO!

Is China excpected to win a lot of medals this year?

PokemonElite2000
08-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Is China excpected to win a lot of medals this year?
It's been United States, Russia, and China winning the most medals (those were the top three countries in Sydney 2000). Germany and France have also fared well in the past.

JoshE
08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
It's been United States, Russia, and China winning the most medals (those were the top three countries in Sydney 2000). Germany and France have also fared well in the past.

I was about to say don't forget Germany. Man do they have a great golie. I think his name is something Khan. Am I correct? Maybe Oliver Khan. or something... hmmmmm.... I don't know.

mlugia
08-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Well, I'm blessed to have been born in China, but since I've also resided in Singapore and Canada for a number of years, I will be also cheering for them as well.

However, being a proud Chinese in Canada, I will be rooting China all the way!

(Them winning lots of medals is just a perk :susp: )

Also, the Olympic Basketball and Baseball would be the coolest sports to watch come olympics time, IMHO :)

JoshE
08-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Well, I'm blessed to have been born in China, but since I've also resided in Singapore and Canada for a number of years, I will be also cheering for them as well.

However, being a proud Chinese in Canada, I will be rooting China all the way!

(Them winning lots of medals is just a perk :susp: )

Also, the Olympic Basketball and Baseball would be the coolest sports to watch come olympics time, IMHO :)

In basketball the USA winning the gold is not a given anymore. I might actually watch. lol

Agent Orange
08-11-2004, 04:27 PM
I can't wait to see the Olimpic Judo tournament!

GO USA AND ITALY!

Matt & Vulpix
08-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I can't wait for any Olympic events, namely the tennis and the taekwon-do. I'll be rooting for sweet ol' Canada, even though not the biggest country Olympic-Medal-wise, we've still won 230 Summer Olympic Medals over the years.

JoshE
08-11-2004, 04:51 PM
I can't wait for any Olympic events, namely the tennis and the taekwon-do. I'll be rooting for sweet ol' Canada, even though not the biggest country Olympic-Medal-wise, we've still won 230 Summer Olympic Medals over the years.

Yeah, I use to play tennis. Its a great sport. Does Canada have a lot of athletes in the olympics this year?

Matt & Vulpix
08-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I use to play tennis. Its a great sport. Does Canada have a lot of athletes in the olympics this year?

Quite a few. Not in every sport, mind you, I know we didn't qualify for either football ones (football as in soccer). But we have a few; I know we have a few divers, a few track-and-field, tennis probably, and a bunch of others hopefully. ^^

Tamer San
08-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Well, one of my relatives are actually participating in the Olympics as the pro swimmer of a small arabic country called Jordan. She is like the best in Jordan, I wish her luck =D

JoshE
08-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Well, one of my relatives are actually participating in the Olympics as the pro swimmer of a small arabic country called Jordan. She is like the best in Jordan, I wish her luck =D

Thats cool. I have heard of Jordan. Borders with Israel right?

Tamer San
08-11-2004, 06:25 PM
I prefare to call it border with palestine, though many countries doesn't agree that Palestine is a country, but we are. *Gets a cool idea for a debate* :tongue:

JoshE
08-12-2004, 03:36 PM
I prefare to call it border with palestine, though many countries doesn't agree that Palestine is a country, but we are. *Gets a cool idea for a debate* :tongue:

Being Jewish I think we should avoid discussing this issue, since I am guessing we have very opposite opinions. But just because someone doesn't agree with someone else on something dosen't mean they can't get along. :wink:

Tamer San
08-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Thats correct Josh, because I actually have nothing against Jews at all ^^

mlugia
08-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Canada is sending 266 (134 female, 132 male) athletes to compete in 28 different types of sports in this Olympics :O

Go china!

JoshE
08-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Thats correct Josh, because I actually have nothing against Jews at all ^^

I have nothing against Palestinians. :tongue: ^_^

Anyway, Who here saw that terrible USA loss to Italy in basketball?

Tamer San
08-13-2004, 01:16 PM
USA? Lost to Italy? IN BASKETBALL!!! :eek:

Agent Orange
08-13-2004, 01:55 PM
XD

OMG....YAY! Go Italy....and WHIP YOUR BUTT INTO SHAPE USA!!!

Necrobat
08-13-2004, 02:49 PM
lol USA beaten at their national sport, how embarrassing...
I've heard that just less than half of the Australian Olympic team won't be participating in the Opening Ceremony due to the length of time they will be standing. It would hinder their performance for the first few days.
Go Australia!
Less then 3 hours until the Opening Ceremony begins! (3:30 AM when it starts here. XD)

JoshE
08-13-2004, 04:18 PM
It was there first game and they had only been practiced with eachother for a week. While the Italian team practiced for around 2 months. :tongue: Still tatas no excuse. We have amazing players.

PokemonElite2000
08-15-2004, 03:26 AM
USA? Lost to Italy? IN BASKETBALL!!! :eek:
Why is it surprising? The USA didn't send their best basketball players like Shaq, Bryant, McGrady, Allen, Carter, Martin, Garnett, and more. It's dissapointing, but not surprising since the USA didn't send their best.

Finglonger
08-15-2004, 04:18 AM
It was there first game and they had only been practiced with eachother for a week. While the Italian team practiced for around 2 months. :tongue: Still tatas no excuse. We have amazing players.

actually that was the italian national team, theyve been together for quite some time. These guys are used to playing together, they have a greater sense of timing and know eachothers weaknesses and strengths. Don't worry I'm sure the USA team will rally in time to do us proud.

JoshE
08-15-2004, 04:35 AM
Why is it surprising? The USA didn't send their best basketball players like Shaq, Bryant, McGrady, Allen, Carter, Martin, Garnett, and more. It's dissapointing, but not surprising since the USA didn't send their best.

Still. Italy has no players in the NBA. :tongue: They should noty be beating us. It shows people how team work is more important than having individual stars in some cases.

PokemonElite2000
08-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Still. Italy has no players in the NBA. :tongue: They should noty be beating us. It shows people how team work is more important than having individual stars in some cases.
You don't need to be in the NBA to know how to play basketball, and play it well. Yao Ming was a great basketball player before he became a NBA player, as well as other foreign players.

And yes, playing as a team is very important. Case proven when the Pistons beat the Lakers in the finals. On paper, when you see the players the Lakers have and what players the Pistons have, it was a joke, Lakers were predicted to be the high favorite. Fact is, Pistons played better as a team, and that's why they won.

If the US team had more time to prepare and get use to playing as a team, it wouldn't be as a problem. But right now they're still trying to get use to playing with each other, and that's something they need to do very quick for success. It's no excuse, but something they need to work on.

JoshE
08-15-2004, 06:47 PM
You don't need to be in the NBA to know how to play basketball, and play it well. Yao Ming was a great basketball player before he became a NBA player, as well as other foreign players.

And yes, playing as a team is very important. Case proven when the Pistons beat the Lakers in the finals. On paper, when you see the players the Lakers have and what players the Pistons have, it was a joke, Lakers were predicted to be the high favorite. Fact is, Pistons played better as a team, and that's why they won.

If the US team had more time to prepare and get use to playing as a team, it wouldn't be as a problem. But right now they're still trying to get use to playing with each other, and that's something they need to do very quick for success. It's no excuse, but something they need to work on.

Right now I am watching Puerto Rico beating the USA 78-66 with 3:47 left. This is bad... very bad. And of course like always the crowd is cheering heavily for the USA's opponent. :rolleyes: Since we are so popular in the world today. :tongue: (Being Sarcastic)

AbXtreme
08-15-2004, 07:02 PM
hehe USA Lost to Italy, And Now Puretco Rico Oh my they suck. Terribly! :eek: bet they didn't do any training since they think they can win it already lol

JoshE
08-16-2004, 01:02 PM
hehe USA Lost to Italy, And Now Puretco Rico Oh my they suck. Terribly! :eek: bet they didn't do any training since they think they can win it already lol

I bet Mr. Iverson our glorious team captain had a lot of practice. (I am being Sarcastic.)

Iverson wwas a terrible choice to be a captain. And Richard Jefferson, Stephon Marbury don't belong there.

There use to be a time when playing for your country was an honor and we had our very best representing us. :rolleyes: Now because of terrorism we barely have an american basketball fourth team playing for us. Tim Duncan is the only real Dream Team player.

mlugia
08-17-2004, 02:56 AM
Yay China O_O

I heard China got 0 in one of the diving events, and some other teams went a slippin or something, what was that all about?

China has 3 golds in shooting so far O_O Never piss off a chinese guy with a gun, he's even scarier than a a pissed off texan with a gun.

JoshE
08-17-2004, 03:26 AM
Yay China O_O

I heard China got 0 in one of the diving events, and some other teams went a slippin or something, what was that all about?

China has 3 golds in shooting so far O_O Never piss off a chinese guy with a gun, he's even scarier than a a pissed off texan with a gun.

I love watching the shooting events. Its a shame they dont show them on TV a lot. These guys are really good with rifles.

JoshE
08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
So far the top 5 country's with the most Medals are:

*=Most # of that Medal

USA- 7 Gold Medals, 9 Silver Medals*, 6 Bronze Medals*= 22 Overal Medals.
China- 10 Gold Medals*, 6 Silver Medals, 3 Bronze Medals= 19 Total Medals.
Australia- 6 Gold Medals, 3 Silver Medals, 5 Bronze Medals= 14 Overall Medals.
Russia- 2 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals, 5 Bronze Medals= 12 Overall Medals.
Japan- 6 Gold Medals, 2 Silver Medals, 1 Bronze Medal- 9 Overall Medals.

These Standings are Ranked by overall Medals. To see a complete standing in order of Gold Medals go to: Olympic Gold Medal Standing (http://www.athens2004.com/en/OlympicMedals/medals)

(France was in a tie with Japan but Japan had more Golds so therefore they won the tie breaker. :tongue:)

Aug 18th Standings.

I am suprised that Russia does not have a lot of Golds yet. It is still very early. I excpect Australia to fall after the swimming competitions die down because Australia has one most of its medals from Swimming.

mlugia
08-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Yay! China's going to get into the slow stretch pretty soon, since Chinese ppl can't sprint and stuff =/

But enjoy the world leading gold medal count while it lasts!

JoshE
08-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Yay! China's going to get into the slow stretch pretty soon, since Chinese ppl can't sprint and stuff =/

But enjoy the world leading gold medal count while it lasts!

Is China any good at Soccer?

JoshE
08-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Here are the updates for the medal count. at the end of the week.

USA- 17 Gold Medals, 12 Silver Medals, 12 Bronze Medals= 41 Medals.
China- 16 Gold Medals, 11 Silver Medals, 10 Bronze Medals= 37 Medals.
Russia- 5 Gold Medals, 12 Silver Medals, 13 Bronze Medals= 30 Medals.
Germany- 8 Gold Medals, 6 Silver Medals, 9 Bronze Medals= 23 Medals.
Australia- 9 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals, 8 Bronze Medal- 22 Medals.

For all the Winners of Medals go to:Athens Medal Count (http://www.athens2004.com/en/OlympicMedals/medals)

The only problem is they rank the country's by Golds not overall medals.

Shael
08-21-2004, 05:48 PM
does anyone know if Taiwan is entering as part of China, or if they're participating at all?

JohtoTrainer
08-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Crap, USA Basketball is going downhill. I wish the best players from the US would've came (Shaq, T-Mac, Vince) The Gold Medal would be easy. But they just lost to Lithuania, they still have a shot at the Gold Medal, but it's just embarrasing losing to these teams.

liquid crystal
08-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Has anyone heard of that controversy over the gold medal for men's gymnastics? I happened to miss that part (>.<) and want to know if the South Korean was actually better than the American.

JohtoTrainer
08-22-2004, 12:03 AM
well, Paul Hamm did awesome. But the judges messed up with South Koreans difficulty score. and so the South korean probably should've gotten the Gold, but they can't strip Hamm of it.

PokemonElite2000
08-22-2004, 07:55 AM
does anyone know if Taiwan is entering as part of China, or if they're participating at all?
Taiwan is participating, but whether or not they're entering as "part of China," that's a difficult one. China and Taiwan have an ongoing conflict over this issue, whether or not Taiwan belongs to China.

For Hong Kong, eventhough it is part of China, Hong Kong is a seperate olympic team.

JoshE
08-24-2004, 11:47 AM
I belive Taiwan is its own team in the Olympics.

Champion Lance
08-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Go Russia! We are in 3rd overall! :cool:

LolJolteonMaster
08-24-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm rooting for whoever smells the best at the end!

JoshE
08-24-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm rooting for whoever smells the best at the end!

XD ok.... never heard that type of opinion before.

Matt & Vulpix
08-25-2004, 03:23 AM
I watch the Olympics as much as I can. If I could, I'd wake up at 5 AM and watch them until midnight, go to bed and restart.

I've watched nearly every event (here in Canada, I don't need to see the commercials. I can switch from NBC to CBC to TSN to two french networks constantly) and the one I love the most is the Diving. So much, that, in fact, I'm now a newfound fan of Canadian Diver Alexandre Depatie, who lives near me (literally 30 minutes away).

If anyone knows/cares, Canada has two golds, four silvers and just the one bronze right now. (Gold -> Kyle Shewfelt/All-Around Gymnastics, Lori-Ann Muenzler/Cycling, Silver -> Wrestling/Tonya someone, Rowing/Someone, Alexandre Depatie/ 3m men springboard diving, ???/??, bronze-> Heymans & the other girl for syncronized diving)

Anyways, I'm loving it to death. Today, Felicien was a major disappointement. She must be kicking herself right now for that first hurdle - now she'll need to wait for 2008 for even a shot at the Gold that she was the heavy favorite to win today. I also feel bad for Irene someone who got hit and out of the race by Felicien.

The diving... the final, Depatie's third dive made me nearly cry, but low and behold he brought back and finished second for a silver. (had he not missed that dive he prolly would have gotten a Gold). Canadian history, our first medal for men's diving. Ever.

Same for Lori-Ann Muenzler's gold - our first cycling medal for the women, I think. Quite something.

Right now, I can't wait for taekwon-do coming up soon (I think Thur-Fri), and the ten-meter men's diving Friday and Saturday, where I hope Alexandre Depatie wins the Gold! And the diving tomorrow and Thursday - the women's 3 m springboard - is going to be something I look forward to. (I love diving, lol)

Anyways, that's my digest for now. I'll be back tomorrow!

JoshE
08-26-2004, 02:33 AM
Canadian history, our first medal for men's diving. Ever.

Ever?!? I thought Canada was good in the pool.

Seven
08-26-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm pretty proud of the Netherlands ^^;. We're doing pretty well for such a small country IMO:

4 Gold
8 Silver
8 Bronze
---------
20 Total

^^;.

*mumbles something about hockey and germany*

>_>

JoshE
08-26-2004, 11:31 PM
We're doing pretty well for such a small country IMO:

20 Medals for the Netherlands is very good for such a small country.

USA Basketball Update

The USA basketball team has turned it around and is now in the medal round. They beat Spain and are now going to take on Argentina. Its on Friday at 1:00 (Eastern Time) on NBC.

Shael
08-28-2004, 03:22 AM
I see, thx for clearing that up

I guess they just aren't good enough in anything to be mentioned on U.S. TV =P

and yay to the women's USA soccer team =)

Necrobat
08-28-2004, 09:35 AM
USA lost to Argentina in the Men's basketball. XD
Best they can get is bronze.

JoshE
08-28-2004, 01:50 PM
USA lost to Argentina in the Men's basketball. XD
Best they can get is bronze.

That is correct. The score was 89-82 I belive or somewhere inn the 80's for both teams, but not that close. Anyway, any comments on the Gymnastics mens Gold Medal isssue with Hamm? I think it was a judging error and should be punishing the judges not him.

PokemonElite2000
08-29-2004, 12:39 AM
That is correct. The score was 89-82 I belive or somewhere inn the 80's for both teams, but not that close. Anyway, any comments on the Gymnastics mens Gold Medal isssue with Hamm? I think it was a judging error and should be punishing the judges not him.
I don't see the worth of a medal that you got due to an error. I think the best way to solve the problem is to give a duplicate gold medal, but they said they won't do that.

Of course, Hamm can just give his medal to the Korean, the person that really won. People would be more proud to see Hamm doing the right thing, I sure would be, but it's a little too late now. I wouldn't take pride in a gold medal you got by an error, would you? But I would take pride by showing the world good sportsmanship, and besides, silver ain't that bad. I wouldn't call that a punishment, it's an oppurtunity of a lifetime to show your character to the world. It would make big news if he did that, he could have been a hero of the Olympics.

Now all people will talk about is Hamm's medal that he got from an error instead of Hamm, the guy that gave his medal, not because he had to, because he wanted to. Too bad.

JoshE
08-29-2004, 02:29 AM
If I was the South Korean I would be pissed that I deserved a Gold and sis not get one. He did not even get a silver. he got a bronze.

JoshE
08-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Argentina has won the Gold Medals in both Basketball and Soccer. The streets of Buenos Aires, Argentina have been covered with people from the city. The city is one huge party. There are drunk people everywhere it said in the newspaper.

Anyway, with the closing of the olympics coming up at 7:00 PM (EST)

What did you think of the 28th Olympics?

JohtoTrainer
08-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Ryan, I don't think you understnd that Hamm didn't do nething wrong. He shouldn't have to give it back. I sure wouldn't, and u wouldn't either. You could go through every judging even and find something that went wrong, and just because Hamm is an American tey are making a huge deal out of it.

JoshE
08-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Ryan, I don't think you understnd that Hamm didn't do nething wrong. He shouldn't have to give it back. I sure wouldn't, and u wouldn't either. You could go through every judging even and find something that went wrong, and just because Hamm is an American tey are making a huge deal out of it.

He did not deserve it though! I would not want a medal that everyone would say: "Oh that guy did not actually deserve a gold." If South Korea got the gold and the American made the mistake you better belive our Goverment would be puting pressure on South Korea a country which we have 30,000 troops gaurding the DMZ. (Border with North Korea)

If I was Hamm I would like my Gold but I would take my silver and say next time I will try again for a Gold. It was a mistake and I think the fairest thing that the Olympic comitee should do is give the South Korean a Gold. It would be so much easier if they were both to just get Golds. But everything has to be made done the hard way. :rolleyes:

JohtoTrainer
08-29-2004, 07:12 PM
He did not deserve it though! I would not want a medal that everyone would say: "Oh that guy did not actually deserve a gold." If South Korea got the gold and the American made the mistake you better belive our Goverment would be puting pressure on South Korea a country which we have 30,000 troops gaurding the DMZ. (Border with North Korea)

If I was Hamm I would like my Gold but I would take my silver and say next time I will try again for a Gold. It was a mistake and I think the fairest thing that the Olympic comitee should do is give the South Korean a Gold. It would be so much easier if they were both to just get Golds. But everything has to be made done the hard way. :rolleyes:

South Korea did not protest in time, it was South Korea's fault, not Paul Hamm;s.

And dude we would not be putting pressure on them ._.

Kenny_C.002
08-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Anyone feel sorry for poor De Lima (Brasil) in the marathon run?

I mean, the guy was more than 30 seconds in front of everybody and then suddenly a protestor comes from nowhere (there was very little of the race left at taht time), tackles him to the crowd (he was likely hit hard, I mean there are those steel bars to keep the spectators from the race), and costs him at least 10 seconds. He comes back running, holding his right leg and was limping for a short while. At that point, the Italian and the American both passed him and he only got Bronze.

However, as he was running, he was still all cheerful and was still celebrating at the end. He showed courage to continue and sportsmanship (not nagging or anything).

So yeah, the greatest Tragedy of the 2004 Olympics and the HERO of Olypmics both goes to De Lima (I'm still thinking I've spelt his name wrong...) of Brasil.

JoshE
08-29-2004, 11:57 PM
I saw that! That guy was dressed like a Wacko. Its sad how he got his whole Marathon messed up because of an idiot.

Kenny_C.002
08-30-2004, 02:27 AM
Yeah man. That was completely weird plus freaky. Man, that's some bad luck...

Agent Orange
08-30-2004, 02:30 AM
Yeah, and the guys next to him started beating on the Morons arms...

He got arrested, thank goodness...

PokemonElite2000
08-30-2004, 04:23 AM
I understand perfectly that Hamm didn't do anything wrong. He doesn't have to give up his medal if he doesn't want to, but it would sure paint him as a hero of the olympics.

And I disagree with your assumption that I would keep the medal, I wouldn't. I would not keep something I got by an error. I wouldn't take any pride in that. Why would I want to be known as the gymnast that got gold by error? No way. I would be embarrassed to show off the medal if people wanted to see it and it's hard to imagine anyone else wouldn't be, because we all know, that if the numbers were inputted CORRECTLY, Hamm wouldn't have got the gold. Can you imagine? "And oh yea, I got this gold because of a math mistake." Of course, Hamm won't say that, but you know it will forever be in the back of people's mind.

And this is a unique situation. It's not an opinion. When I say opinion, the scores are opinions, those are the judge's opinions on how good it was (that's why you get different scores from different judges).

However, they made a mistake in the numbers, instead of a base difficulty point of 10, they gave the Korean a 9.9. That small difference cost the Korean a gold.

And don't use the "because he's an American" excuse, it would be big news anytime when someone is awarded a gold medal by a math error, whether it's an American or whatever.

Magare
08-30-2004, 12:17 PM
I'll just say Croatia walked through everyone in the handball competition!

8-0! Thats the score Croatia has at the end of the competition.

And the song we are used to singing from the 1998 world cup in France:

"Deutchland, Deutchland, AUF WIEDERSEHN!!! AUF WIEDERSEHN!!!!!!

Thank you and good night :wink:

Champion Lance
09-05-2004, 01:22 PM
I'll just say Croatia walked through everyone in the handball competition!

8-0! Thats the score Croatia has at the end of the competition.

And the song we are used to singing from the 1998 world cup in France:

"Deutchland, Deutchland, AUF WIEDERSEHN!!! AUF WIEDERSEHN!!!!!!

Thank you and good night :wink:

ummmm..... what is handball?

PokemonElite2000
09-08-2004, 10:43 PM
ummmm..... what is handball?
It's a mix of basketball and soccer, it's all explained here: http://www.usateamhandball.org/sport.html

Champion Lance
09-08-2004, 11:40 PM
heh.... sounds kind of cool.