PDA

View Full Version : URPG Sheer Cold move.

Ataro
03-14-2007, 06:09 AM
I know a couple few who likes to hax using Sheer COld.

Well, this is the time to discuss about SC, flame it, scold it, discuss it, rock it, whatever you might do, just no bad words.

Ii can come up with suggestions for anyone who always get hit by Sheer Cold, and needs a solution. But only talk about this with URPG, not the game. I can give suggestions, but just tell me here, if you need it, as I don't want to spoil other people's chance of knocking out mons with hax move so soon (like May Norman :p).

Personally, these are the advantages.

Easy knockout
Lazy to choose moves, so just keep Sheer Colding. :/
Your a great haxxer and believe the dice will support you.
You just bribe the dice and the referee, so SC will always hit. [not permitted]
That's all.

Disadvantages.

You get knockout immediately if you are hit by a power attack like Hyper Beam.
Will make people hate you and exhausted, not to mention angry.
You will get mental agony if the dice keep missing.
Mostly mons who have SHeer Cold are ice type, so they are easily hammered by rock or fire. / fighting before they even get the first hit if they are fighting Ninetales:P
It's a cheap move in many people's opinion.
You can't just charge straight forward with this attack. At least have Double Team or COnfuse Ray to stall, before you start haxxing.
A waste of time battling.
That's all.

So mostly, I have just started this discussion. Let's go, fellow trainers.

EDITED PROs AND CONs due to comments. XD

Seawolf
03-14-2007, 06:17 AM
It's not strategy, and anyone who uses it is just an idiot. Why do you think all respected battlers frown upon moves like this, anyway? It's because they're pointless, cheap, and aren't even fun for members of both parties, unless you really like depending on luck like this. Then again, if you do, that's pretty sad. Winning just by using one move that automatically knocks out the other Pokemon isn't a real win in my eyes - and why should it be? You didn't even do anything to deserve that win. You just depended on the luck of the draw.

By the way, bribing is illegal here. I'm pretty sure nobody "convinces" the referees to have the dice magically become something less than thirty.

I actually like to use my own strategies, and not moves as asinine as Sheer Cold, thanks. These moves are so stupid, I can't even begin to describe how much I dislike them.

Ataro
03-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Its rather hurting to some members.

But I have a Walrein in my team. Sheer Cold it knows, I have used it only 1 time in SPheal;s stage, and it missed, I did not ever again used that move, its like so hard to hit with only a 30% chance. Same goes with Fissure, and all those. Those were never my choice of moves in game, sorry i know i mentioned game.

Now, I have ever got Sheer Colded 1 times, but I managed to counter back him strategy without dieing, with him dying. SHeer COld basically only works betetr with Lock-on, though that is a disadvantage.

Sheer Cold is sort of like cheating, yeah I agree with you. Cause its ohko is already a cheat move, sorry, no offense please.

@Megumi, then what do you think of the infamous move = Endure+Flail/Reversal.

Actually, I have revealed the strategy, so sorry. But I just want to know all these.

Dr Scott
03-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Honestly, this move isn't so bad ... it's just pathetic and desperate. I mean, peopel who keep using it will more then likely lose, so what's the big deal? They won't really ever get better either, so that's their problem ...

Loyal Arcanine
03-14-2007, 06:49 AM
It's just a move. Magare got me with Fissure in a 6v6 and if the situation was right I wouldn't hesitate using it. The fact that I haven't used any move like that yet is only because the situations in which even a miss is profitable are rare (or maybe not profitable, but you won't mind it missing). It's like Double Team: cheap, but still a tactic.

Also, your pros and cons make little sense. Only one of the advantages is why I would use them (easy knock out) and none of the disadvantages are why I would not use them.

Rohypnol
03-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Honestly, this move isn't so bad ... it's just pathetic and desperate. I mean, peopel who keep using it will more then likely lose, so what's the big deal? They won't really ever get better either, so that's their problem ...

Cheap is the combos like toxic, protect, detect, in my opinion :P

I don't really like it because my Gym got haxed by it. It killed two of my mons and broke a sub. So I sort of have a grudge against it. :/

Ataro
03-14-2007, 07:35 AM
It's just a discussion, but people may ust use that move for fun, yeah, that's their problem.

Originally Posted by LoyalArcanine http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/images/bluecommune/buttons/viewpost.gif
It's just a move. Magare got me with Fissure in a 6v6 and if the situation was right I wouldn't hesitate using it. The fact that I haven't used any move like that yet is only because the situations in which even a miss is profitable are rare (or maybe not profitable, but you won't mind it missing). It's like Double Team: cheap, but still a tactic.

Also, your pros and cons make little sense. Only one of the advantages is why I would use them (easy knock out) and none of the disadvantages are why I would not use them.
I have edited the pros and cons, sorry, can't find valid reasons. BUt double team is like one of my favourite moves, it rocks a whole lot, I just don't understand why people hate Double Team. A miss is very common, but if we used Lock on, the person might already know what is coming up.:wink:

Originally Posted by SalamenceMaster http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/images/bluecommune/buttons/viewpost.gif
I don't really like it because my Gym got haxed by it. It killed two of my mons and broke a sub. So I sort of have a grudge against it. :/
I know, laugh out loud, I read before the referee's log. It knock out 2 of your mons right?

Snow Fairy Sugar
03-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Sheer cold saved my gym loads of times. I must've used it over a hundred times, and ninety times it hit. :tongue:

But I don't see why it should be, you know, banned. It depends on luck, and...game theory. If you just feel you're at a disadvantage by sheer cold, request the other battler not to use OHKO moves or have an OHKO Clause in the battle. Simple?

EDIT: Mental agony? :eh:

Ataro
03-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Sheer cold saved my gym loads of times. I must've used it over a hundred times, and ninety times it hit. :tongue:

But I don't see why it should be, you know, banned. It depends on luck, and...game theory. If you just feel you're at a disadvantage by sheer cold, request the other battler not to use OHKO moves or have an OHKO Clause in the battle. Simple?

EDIT: Mental agony? :eh:

Oh, that, I just learned that from school last month, lol.

earth_type_rule
03-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I hate the move. Every time I use it I miss, and every time an opponent uses it ( like gaia, and others refer May ) it hits. It frustrates me to the bone and I hate the move.

But A little sometimes when I need it, I try the other, Fissure, in my gym :P

Volcanflame
03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
I hate the move. Every time I use it I miss, and every time an opponent uses it ( like gaia, and others refer May ) it hits. It frustrates me to the bone and I hate the move.

But A little sometimes when I need it, I try the other, Fissure, in my gym :P
Just remembered our last battle, haxxed you with Sheer Cold! xD

And I use these haxxy moves if I don't have any good moves choice, like my last battle with ETR, Walrein vs Lapras, as I believe, his Lapras learns Thunder, that could pawn my fat Seal, and I decided to use Sheer Cold, which succeeded with flying colors! :crackup:

-Volcan-

earth_type_rule
03-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Just remembered our last battle, haxxed you with Sheer Cold! xD

And I use these haxxy moves if I don't have any good moves choice, like my last battle with ETR, Walrein vs Lapras, as I believe, his Lapras learns Thunder, that could pawn my fat Seal, and I decided to use Sheer Cold, which succeeded with flying colors! :crackup:

-Volcan-

I prefer it calling "I can't win, so I'll just OHKO you to get the win and the cash"

But do w/e you like to do. I don't really prefer to use it or not. But just to annoy robert, I owned him with sheer cold on the gameboy :P

Ridley
03-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Sheer cold is cheap imo, I hate reffing for people who use it.
meh whatever, I think 30 acc is too high for ohko moves.

Ataro
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Sheer cold is cheap imo, I hate reffing for people who use it.
meh whatever, I think 30 acc is too high for ohko moves.

And did you ever have any thoughts of raising this to the Trainer's Court?

infested88
03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
There is nothing to be brought to the Trainer's Court here Ataro...

Sheer Cold is a move and there's nothing we are going to do about it.

Some people focus on it and rely on the move as their only chance (May), but you'll just have to deal with that. This move is either used by someone who doesn't know what they're doing, has no strategy, and can't do anything else or when it's a necessity because defeat is emanant.

The move isn't going to be banned, the accuracy of it hitting won't be lowered, and all of your advantages and disadvantages don't make much sense and they made me laugh.

And if you hate getting the move used on you so much, then ask for it in the rules not to use OHKO moves and if the person doesn't accept just don't battle them.

Simple as that.

Seawolf
03-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Its rather hurting to some members.

But I have a Walrein in my team. Sheer Cold it knows, I have used it only 1 time in SPheal;s stage, and it missed, I did not ever again used that move, its like so hard to hit with only a 30% chance. Same goes with Fissure, and all those. Those were never my choice of moves in game, sorry i know i mentioned game.

Now, I have ever got Sheer Colded 1 times, but I managed to counter back him strategy without dieing, with him dying. SHeer COld basically only works betetr with Lock-on, though that is a disadvantage.

Sheer Cold is sort of like cheating, yeah I agree with you. Cause its ohko is already a cheat move, sorry, no offense please.

@Megumi, then what do you think of the infamous move = Endure+Flail/Reversal.

Actually, I have revealed the strategy, so sorry. But I just want to know all these.

Endure, Flail and Reversal is actually a decent strategy, so I have no problems with it. It's not an OHKO move, either.

Lock On and Sheer Cold/Fissure could be countered with Protect and Substitute, but I will admit I don't like that much either. It's a move, sure, but it's just dumb compared to everything else you can do in Pokemon. None of the top players in JAA used it for a reason.

DarkGardevoir
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Endure, Flail and Reversal is actually a decent strategy, so I have no problems with it. It's not an OHKO move, either.

Lock On and Sheer Cold/Fissure could be countered with Protect and Substitute, but I will admit I don't like that much either. It's a move, sure, but it's just dumb compared to everything else you can do in Pokemon. None of the top players in JAA used it for a reason.

well, but it may end being a OHKO...

and ball used Mind Read+Fissure, but only once in a while.

Anyways, why should we ban them? no reasons at all.

SiberianTiger
03-14-2007, 07:01 PM

Exactly, using these move don't make you a cheater or anything else, now if you use them every time then yea, you need help.

But if I had a good opportunity you can best bet I'd use it in a heartbeat.

~Isaiah

DaRkUmBrEoN
03-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Let's say we change the OHKO move rules... what's next?
Make all sleeping moves illegal, just because I sleepwhore everyone who challenges my gym?

Seriously, this is not gonna happen nor even thought about.
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. That's why there's a OHKO clause.

Either Marth, Chris or Jack can post the final say about this, but as far as I'm concerned, this thread is locked.

-]DU with a padlock[-

Marth
03-14-2007, 08:35 PM
What was the point of this thread again?

Sleepwhoring may be cheap. Sheer Colding may be cheap.
But it's a strategy.

They are choosing to rely on luck, and on sleep status.
While we are choosing not to do so, because we consider it's cheap. That's our opinion, which isn't necesarily shared by others, and thus both views must be respected.
Since it's a valid strategy, we can complain all we want, but it won't be limited or prohibited.

They are choosing to risk it with luck, be it because they like doing it, or don't have anything better.

How hard is it to get a Pokémon with Sturdy, or Insomnia?
Or to use safeguard with a faster Pokémon? Uproar?
Protecting the Mind-reader/Fissure?

It's just another strategy, and there are countless ways of coutnering it.

Thanks for locking this, DU.