PDA

View Full Version : What Rating did your local newspaper give Yugioh The Movie?

Lord Celebi
08-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Mine gave it 1 1/2 stars. They said there were 'disturbing women' in it too. They totally dissed YGO. Anyways, discuss (I'll be amazed if it got 4 stars anywhere.)

Agent Orange
08-13-2004, 01:46 PM
I don't know, but I hope tey give it a 0, because I looks like it sucked.

Alakazam
08-13-2004, 03:42 PM
I won't know until Sunday, but I doubt it will get many stars...as a rule, critics hate anime. I can't wait to see it, but I doubt the critics will like it.

DragonShane
08-14-2004, 02:28 AM
Yeah, it got only 1 1/2 stars here as well. That kinda ticked me off, considering that the critic probably never watched the series or read the manga. Heck, the movie wasn't even half bad, I felt.

The YuGiOh movie was rather decent; it wasn't butchered up like the series is. I was a bit surprised at some of the more violent parts that were put into there (I guess movies can get away with a bit more here, eh? [shrugs])
But it's definitely something for fans of the series only. If you've never seen the show, don't even bother seeing the movie, 'cause you won't understand a single bit XP

But anyway, yeah, the critics were harsh on it; like they are on all movies of real value (Oh sure, hype the heck out of "Titanic", but God forbid a foreign film be praised....losers -_-; )

VenusaurTrainer
08-15-2004, 01:12 AM
Our paper gave it a 1. I think the movie looks like crap. =/

Tamer Marco
08-15-2004, 01:23 AM
Umm... I don't read the newspaper. But I bet they gave it a One and a half. Like DragonShane mention the never read the manga or watched the series.

VenusaurTrainer
08-15-2004, 01:28 AM
I always read the newspapers. Every morning while eating breakfast.

Tamer Marco
08-15-2004, 01:30 AM
I always read the newspapers. Every morning while eating breakfast. Lol. My mom doesn't even subscribe.

Shroomish
08-15-2004, 03:35 AM
:::This Post May Contain Small Spoilers. Warning:::

The newspapers rate movies? lol I never read them, guess they're good for something other than finding out who died afterall. XD

I actually LOVED this movie. It was much better and less-corny than the TV series, IMO. I mean, of course we have the ten minute "Friendship Can Conqure the World" speech, but other than that, it was great.

A few people were a bit out of character, though, especially Seto. Like, when Mokuba said "I hope you know what you're doing." (when Seto was in the jet.) and Seto replied, "I was hoping the same thing." That was just wrong, Seto would never say something like that because it sounded as if he somehow doubted his own judgement, and we all know how confident he is of himself.... And Pegasus was a good guy? O_o Oh well, like I said, still a kick-ass movie.

Seto was so cool when possessed (atleast I think he was possesed somewhat....erm.... lol) Marik has nothing on him in terms of sounding evil. XD

Matthew
08-15-2004, 06:06 AM
:::This Post May Contain Small Spoilers. Warning:::

The newspapers rate movies? lol I never read them, guess they're good for something other than finding out who died afterall. XD

I actually LOVED this movie. It was much better and less-corny than the TV series, IMO. I mean, of course we have the ten minute "Friendship Can Conqure the World" speech, but other than that, it was great.

A few people were a bit out of character, though, especially Seto. Like, when Mokuba said "I hope you know what you're doing." (when Seto was in the jet.) and Seto replied, "I was hoping the same thing." That was just wrong, Seto would never say something like that because it sounded as if he somehow doubted his own judgement, and we all know how confident he is of himself.... And Pegasus was a good guy? O_o Oh well, like I said, still a kick-ass movie.

Seto was so cool when possessed (atleast I think he was possesed somewhat....erm.... lol) Marik has nothing on him in terms of sounding evil. XD

Maybe Peg was never bad... he was possesed by the Sacred Eye peice which turned him evil... meh... im not into ygo so I don't know much lol. I'm sure they didn't give it more than 1.5 stars... critics hate cartoons :susp:

PokemonElite2000
08-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Mine gave it 1 1/2 stars. They said there were 'disturbing women' in it too. They totally dissed YGO. Anyways, discuss (I'll be amazed if it got 4 stars anywhere.)
The movie was made for YGO fans, and YGO fans are suppose to like it, not the non-fans. The fact is, it's a horrible movie for non-fans, but if you like YGO, you'll probably like it. And most good critics will probably point that out, this movie was made for the fans, not anyone else. Since you really had to like the TV series to enjoy the movie.

If you're a fan, you'll probably like it. If you're not a fan, odds are, you won't like it, that simple.

Yeah, it got only 1 1/2 stars here as well. That kinda ticked me off, considering that the critic probably never watched the series or read the manga. Heck, the movie wasn't even half bad, I felt.

The YuGiOh movie was rather decent; it wasn't butchered up like the series is. I was a bit surprised at some of the more violent parts that were put into there (I guess movies can get away with a bit more here, eh? [shrugs])
But it's definitely something for fans of the series only. If you've never seen the show, don't even bother seeing the movie, 'cause you won't understand a single bit XP

But anyway, yeah, the critics were harsh on it; like they are on all movies of real value (Oh sure, hype the heck out of "Titanic", but God forbid a foreign film be praised....losers -_-; )
Don't blame the critics because they don't have to watch YGO or read the manga if they don't want to or like to. They judge films based on what they see in the movie theater, like the average person. If the anime is good, they'll say it's good. But if it's this kind of movie, that you have to watch the TV series to understand most things and like it, then it's not going to get a good rating. Because they're suppose to give a rating based on the movie itself. For example, if you never heard of some anime and had no interest in it, would you give it that anime a high rating when you're suppose to follow the TV series to enjoy it? Probably not, but the fans would probably like it.

Also, foreign films not praised? Spirited Away won the Oscar in 2002 and recieved great reviews from critics (not to mention a great applause from the Oscar audience). Spirited Away also has a 98% of approval of critics: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spirited_away/ . Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon also recieved amazing reviews, and also winning an Oscar. City of God is another highly rated film.

So I don't think it's fair to say that US critics don't give foreign movies their right due. If it's a good movie, it will get good reviews.

Alakazam
08-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, I just read the paper...the verdict is in, though I am not surprised. My local newspaper, The Boston Globe, gave Yu-gi-oh! the Movie one star. Though I am not surprised, I am however disappointed. (NOTE: I have not yet seen the movie at the time of this post, though I am going to see it today.) Why am I dissappointed. Why?

The review said: "You've seen the show, you've played the card game, you've chewed the gum. I'd stick to the gum, at least with that you don't have to sit through choppy animation."

She didn't really say why she didn't like the movie, other than the sole comment on the animation style. That's what disappoints me.

Later on, when I go to see YGO the movie in the theater:

-Will I be the oldest person in the theater (save random parents who dispise the movie)?: probably
-Will the room be packed with small children who, for the most part, cannot fathom the intricities of the series or have read the manga?: Definately
-Will I care: No.
-Will I go around asking if anyone will give me the promo they got with their ticket?: Hell yeah! :cool:

mlugia
08-15-2004, 03:01 PM
(SPOILER ALERT?)

To be quite honest, I did see the movie, and one of the things that spoiled the movie wasn't the movie, but the ppl who watched it.

There was someone behind us who laughed LOUDLY the entire time the movie was playing, kids were talking, and I was thinking "STFU N00bs" <= raik :o

Also, the movie was... average at best. I mean, the animation and dubbing seems just as oddly run as it was in the anime, which was like "meh". They forgot to put stats for all of the monsters summoned (Frankly, as someone who hasn't touched YGO in a long time, I wouldn't even know how many stars that little puffball is, or that sphinx, etc) which totally ruined the duel.

And the whole using the card to save the world by making it real was a bit corny, seeing as it's supposedly the evil demon who can do that, not some short whacked out haired freak =/

So uh, yeah. Strongly agree with the 1-2 star rating at best.

Shroomish
08-15-2004, 07:00 PM
-Will I go around asking if anyone will give me the promo they got with their ticket?: Hell yeah!
Lol! I sat infront of these two boys who were arguing over those. It was like...
Kid 1: "Man, you promised if you got Blue Eyes Shining Dragon, you would give it to me!"
Kid 2: "Yeah... but I want it now. :D"
Kid 1: "I'll trade you my Egyptian god Cards!"
Kid 2: "They're fake."
Me: "So... What'd you all get?"
Kid 1: "The Dark Sorcerer."
Kid 2: "The Blue Eyes Shining Dragon. :D"
Me: "Really? I got the Blue Eyes too."
Kid 1: "Damnit! *Stands up and punches chair*"

lol, it was funny. But yeah, glad I got my Blue Eyes. :cool:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ML, I have to agree with you to an extent; the "Friends to the end!" and "We have to save the world by dueling!" is getting a little old.... But oh well, still a good movie. It did have a kick-ass plot, afterall. Plus, Tea's Matrix style kick made me lol. XD As far as I'm concerned, it was three times better than the TV series.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew, good point about Peggy. But, I don't think he was really possessed with it in the first place. (Atleast, not like Marik was with the spirit in the M. Rod.) I think he was just power hungry. :P Now, without his only way to cheat/gain power, he's defensless and weak. I guess that's why he gave in to the good side? *Shrugs* Kind of like the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em," I guess.
Hehe, Seto totally wiped the floor with him. ^_^
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Checks other posts* Wow, I think I'm done. :P

mlugia
08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
I agree about the matrix kick, it was hilarious, but how they followed it up with Tea going back to the maiden in distress mode kinda sucked (also seems to show that Japan is still a man > woman society :X)

DragonShane
08-16-2004, 02:35 AM
(Possible spoiler)

Well, actually, the whole deal with Pegasus was that he was trying to find a way to resurrect his dead girlfriend/wife (I forget). I think he was planning to use the Eye to gather souls to execute this (again, I forget; I need to read the episode summaries again :/)

But now that he doesn't have the Eye anymore, he's not a threat, and
he knows this (Heck, I thought the dude was dead until now :P)..Guess he's finally accepted that he can't play God.
So Pegasus wasn't possessed by anything; the only items that contain spirits (currently) are the Puzzle and Ring.

["The More You Know..." flies overhead] >_>

Matthew
08-16-2004, 08:27 PM
LOL about the cards... I work at a movie theater so I have the following of the promo cards:

5 Blue Ey Shining Dragons
4 Sorcerors of Dark Magic
4 Watapons
5 Pyramids of Light

So Muhahahaha to all of you!! :twisted:

Hehe.

And I didn't mean he was like possesed like YG and Marik, I meant that he was succumbed (right word?) byt the eyes power...

Alakazam
08-26-2004, 11:32 AM
LOL about the cards... I work at a movie theater so I have the following of the promo cards:

5 Blue Ey Shining Dragons
4 Sorcerors of Dark Magic
4 Watapons
5 Pyramids of Light

So Muhahahaha to all of you!! :twisted:

Hehe.

And I didn't mean he was like possesed like YG and Marik, I meant that he was succumbed (right word?) byt the eyes power...

Geez...talk about lucky. I'd be staisfied to get just one copy of each card. -_-

The Elite Ygseto
08-28-2004, 10:26 AM
My paper gave it a big fat 0 (zero)! Which is good because it looks like crap.

Hypocrisy is Fun
10-08-2004, 01:10 AM
My newspaper gave it 3 stars but they called it U-Gi'-oh :susp: