PDA

View Full Version : Supersize me? whatever..

art
08-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Has any of you heard about the movie Supersize Me? It's directed by Morgen Spurlock, against the fastfood chain McDonalds. In the movie, spurlock gets ALL his meals at the FastFood-restaurant McDonalds for one whole month.

In that month, he gains 26.5 pounds in weight and his health deteriorates badly. He proved this by daily doing tests at a serious labaratorium and some facility.

Now, A dutch newspaper editor (from the "Algemeen Dagblad" which is one of 3 biggest, most respected papers in the Netherlands) has done the same. for a whole month, he ate and drank nothing else then Mcdonalds fastfood.
In this month, he lost 13 pounds and his health and condition increased somewhat. this, also, was tested at professional facilities.

The editor (Wim Meij) commented: "I believe I've corrected a misunderstanding. there's a variety of meals at mcDonalds to choose from."

What is your opinion on the matter? I will post mine later to prevent me from influencing your post in any way.

PokemonElite2000
10-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Has any of you heard about the movie Supersize Me? It's directed by Morgen Spurlock, against the fastfood chain McDonalds. In the movie, spurlock gets ALL his meals at the FastFood-restaurant McDonalds for one whole month.

In that month, he gains 26.5 pounds in weight and his health deteriorates badly. He proved this by daily doing tests at a serious labaratorium and some facility.

Now, A dutch newspaper editor (from the "Algemeen Dagblad" which is one of 3 biggest, most respected papers in the Netherlands) has done the same. for a whole month, he ate and drank nothing else then Mcdonalds fastfood.
In this month, he lost 13 pounds and his health and condition increased somewhat. this, also, was tested at professional facilities.

The editor (Wim Meij) commented: "I believe I've corrected a misunderstanding. there's a variety of meals at mcDonalds to choose from."

What is your opinion on the matter? I will post mine later to prevent me from influencing your post in any way.
Well, it really depends what you eat at McDonalds, doesn't it? There's a lot of reasons why he lost weight and health improved. He may have had a health that wasn't too good to begin with for one. Or, at the same time, he may have done a lot of exercise. I don't know, you will have provide more information on how Algemeen Dagblad conducted the experiment, because there are many things he could have done different to get different results. Morgan only allow his meal supersized if offered (and he definitely got plenty offers to do just that), and had to eat every item on the menu at least once.

People don't go McDonalds to improve their health. Sure, you can order a more healthy burger and maybe a salad and water, but that's not exactly normal. The point of the movie is, eating unhealthy foods will have consequences. The Big Mac has 600 calories. That's a lot of calories for just one burger. That's not including the fries and soda if you get that.

You can eat healthy at McDonalds, but chances are, people aren't getting healthier because of eating McDonalds unless you watch what you're eating (don't eat three Big Macs at a time with supersize fries and soda) and watch your exercise.

The point I'm trying to make is, if the only thing you get is water from McDonalds everytime and maybe a chicken burger, your health will be fine. If you eat what people USUALLY order at McDonalds everytime for a month, than you'll end up like Morgan Spurlock in the end.

Lord Mullet
11-05-2004, 09:53 AM
In Supersize Me, Spurlock did the average amount of exercise an American does per day, no more, made sure he ate at least one of everything, and never turned down an offer for a supersize. If you ate only the smaller portions of the healthier foods and did a decent amount of exercise, of course it wouldn't affect you in the same way.