PDA

View Full Version : Damage Info

Ness
03-23-2007, 11:18 PM
PMD runs on different calculations than the other Pokemon games (when I say this I refer to RBY/GSC, RSE/FRLG). What this means to us PMD players is that we can do things which we would get laughed at for when playing the other games.

Before I get into practical uses, I will give you some multiplyers (bonuses / penalties for super effective, etc.). I am not going to give you a long detailed explaination of damage because it is not really relavent to what I have to say and I do not really want to write something too long:rolleyes:. Anyways here are some numbers:

- Attacks which have "Little Effect" multiply damage by 0.5
- "Not Very Effective" attacks multiply damage by 0.9 (well actually 0.8999... but 0.9 is close enough)
- "Super Effective" hits multiply damage by 1.5
- Critical Hits multiply damage by 1.5
- STAB multiplies damage by 1.5

Now looking at just those numbers, we can see some quite drastic differences from other games. Attacks which would previously have no effect on pokemon now have "Little Effect". "Not Very Effective" attacks had their previous multipliers of 0.5 replaced by 0.9. And "Super Effective" attacks have been bumped down from a multiplier of 2 to a multiplier of 1.5.

STAB might be a term new to people who have never played the other games before. STAB stands for Same Type Attack Bonus. What this basically does is if a Water Type pokemon uses a Water Type move, for example, the damage will be multiplied by 1.5. Now if the same pokemon used a Fire Type move, there would be no bonus. STAB in this game is the same multiplier as it is in all other games.

Some of you people right now might be saying "so what?". Well these numbers may change the movesets of some or all of your pokemon. As I said earlier, in PMD we can do things with great effect that would have been laughed at in other games.

In PMD, STAB now has the same effect as a "Super Effective" attack. This means that you can load your pokemon up with all STAB moves and make that pokemon very effective in the damage department. This essentially means that you are going to be landing "Super Effective" hits against all neutral pokemon.

What this also means is that if you use a STAB attack which is "not very effective", the damage is still multiplied by 1.35 (1.5 x 0.9) which would still be more than if you used a neutral move against the same pokemon.

You should not use a move with STAB if it has "Little Effect" if you have another move available. STAB x "Little Effect" equals 0.75 which means that you should use another move which is at least neutral.

If I have made any mistakes or if anybody wants to add anything, feel free to tell me :happy:.

LilCharZ
03-23-2007, 11:41 PM
This actually makes sense!! Maybe that's why my Charizard PWNS all the other Pkmn (Besides being Lv100).

Jelly
03-24-2007, 12:06 AM
It makes sense?!?! I didnt understand a word of that, lol.

LilCharZ
03-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Oh well, I think it makes sense, but it did take a while...

PS: Jelly, why don't you join Hydrobonekill and Elementoryweed?

Ness
03-24-2007, 12:36 AM

Haha ok sorry... thought it might be a little thick:oops:. Basically a completely neutral attack would have a multiplier of 1 - nothing gained... nothing lost. So a number >1 would be beneficial, and a number <1 would be detrimental.

I'll use an example. Say a Machop has the moves Rock Tomb and Dynamicpunch. They both have a base power of 10 both run off Attack (as opposed to Special Attack) but 1 move (Dynamicpunch) benefits from STAB while the other (Rock Tomb) does not. Now this Machop attacks a Squirtle with Rock Tomb and damages it for 50 HP. The same Machop then attacks the Squirtle with Dynamicpunch and damages it for 75 HP. Both moves are the same strength (base power of 10), both are neutral to Squirtle, and both run off the Attack stat but Dynamicpunch does a lot more damage. Why? Because STAB bonus multiplies the damage by 1.5: 50 x 1.5 = 75.

Does that help at all? :eh:

Jelly
03-24-2007, 12:38 AM
It would if i knew what STAB was.... *Stabs Ness:tongue:*

Yeah, i get it. The moves should do the same amount of damage, but one does more. Something like that, but I get it.

Off Topic: Yeah!?!?! I want in Hydrobonekill and ElementoryWeed, if i can that is :oops:

Ness
03-24-2007, 12:42 AM
STAB might be a term new to people who have never played the other games before. STAB stands for Same Type Attack Bonus. What this basically does is if a Water Type pokemon uses a Water Type move, for example, the damage will be multiplied by 1.5. Now if the same pokemon used a Fire Type move, there would be no bonus. STAB in this game is the same multiplier as it is in all other games.

This should explain it... but let me put it this way: a Charmander's Fire-Type moves will be stronger than its Dragon-Type moves. A Pidgey's Flying-Type move will be stronger than its Steel-Type moves... etc.

LilCharZ
03-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Haha ok sorry... thought it might be a little thick:oops:. Basically a completely neutral attack would have a multiplier of 1 - nothing gained... nothing lost. So a number >1 would be beneficial, and a number <1 would be detrimental.

I'll use an example. Say a Machop has the moves Rock Tomb and Dynamicpunch. They both have a base power of 10 both run off Attack (as opposed to Special Attack) but 1 move (Dynamicpunch) benefits from STAB while the other (Rock Tomb) does not. Now this Machop attacks a Squirtle with Rock Tomb and damages it for 50 HP. The same Machop then attacks the Squirtle with Dynamicpunch and damages it for 75 HP. Both moves are the same strength (base power of 10), both are neutral to Squirtle, and both run off the Attack stat but Dynamicpunch does a lot more damage. Why? Because STAB bonus multiplies the damage by 1.5: 50 x 1.5 = 75.

Does that help at all? :eh:
Whoa, Ness, you must be a Pro-player to figure this out. Either that, or you're a genius.

PS: You should join Hydrobonekill and Elementoryweed, we OWN the other rescue team alliances

Jelly
03-24-2007, 12:45 AM
This should explain it... but let me put it this way: a Charmander's Fire-Type moves will be stronger than its Dragon-Type moves. A Pidgey's Flying-Type move will be stronger than its Steel-Type moves... etc.

OHHHH!!!! I agree with LilCharZ, can you do my homework? You're the genis (see i cant spell it lol) Stop talking to professor oak and learning so much! :eh:

Edit: This should be stickied or something.... or a guide...idk just an idea.

charmeleonblaze
03-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Yeah, my charizard PWNS everything in the game.

Ness
03-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Edit: This should be stickied or something.... or a guide...idk just an idea.

:oops:Well I am not sure if it is of sticky calibre yet... maybe I'll clean it up, write some more details, and then maybe... right now it might just be embarrassing :redface:. Haha but thanks.... it gives me some ideas..... :rolleyes:

Jelly
03-24-2007, 10:46 PM
To add on what you said ness, here is a list of moves for PMD and damage things, idk if its what your talking about but

http://upc.pkmn.co.uk/games/dungeon/guides/moves.html

Ness
03-25-2007, 03:52 AM
To add on what you said ness, here is a list of moves for PMD and damage things, idk if its what your talking about but

http://upc.pkmn.co.uk/games/dungeon/guides/moves.html

Yea thats a good site with tons of information. It is a good resource if you take some time to understand it. The most useful column I find on that chart is the accuracy as it varies a lot from the other Pokemon games. Power of a move is also interesting to know but is not as critical in PMD at least when your pokemon are higher levels. Reason being is that the base power is added to your attacking stat which makes a big difference when that stat isn't very high (ie. lower levels) however the bonus you will see from this will diminish as your pokemon gain levels and attack stats.

Jelly
03-25-2007, 03:54 AM
Its a very good site with guides... i like it,but yet i really dont care about how much damage i do, just as long as i win 0,o

brandonelliott
03-25-2007, 08:12 PM
PMD runs on different calculations than the other Pokemon games (when I say this I refer to RBY/GSC, RSE/FRLG). What this means to us PMD players is that we can do things which we would get laughed at for when playing the other games.

Before I get into practical uses, I will give you some multiplyers (bonuses / penalties for super effective, etc.). I am not going to give you a long detailed explaination of damage because it is not really relavent to what I have to say and I do not really want to write something too long:rolleyes:. Anyways here are some numbers:

- Attacks which have "Little Effect" multiply damage by 0.5
- "Not Very Effective" attacks multiply damage by 0.9 (well actually 0.8999... but 0.9 is close enough)
- "Super Effective" hits multiply damage by 1.5
- Critical Hits multiply damage by 1.5
- STAB multiplies damage by 1.5

Now looking at just those numbers, we can see some quite drastic differences from other games. Attacks which would previously have no effect on pokemon now have "Little Effect". "Not Very Effective" attacks had their previous multipliers of 0.5 replaced by 0.9. And "Super Effective" attacks have been bumped down from a multiplier of 2 to a multiplier of 1.5.

Some of you people right now might be saying "so what?". Well these numbers may change the movesets of some or all of your pokemon. As I said earlier, in PMD we can do things with great effect that would have been laughed at in other games.

In PMD, STAB now has the same effect as a "Super Effective" attack. This means that you can load your pokemon up with all STAB moves and make that pokemon very effective in the damage department. This essentially means that you are going to be landing "Super Effective" hits against all neutral pokemon.

What this also means is that if you use a STAB attack which is "not very effective", the damage is still multiplied by 1.35 (1.5 x 0.9) which would still be more than if you used a neutral move against the same pokemon.

You should not use a move with STAB if it has "Little Effect" if you have another move available. STAB x "Little Effect" equals 0.75 which means that you should use another move which is at least neutral.

If I have made any mistakes or if anybody wants to add anything, feel free to tell me :happy:. Wow that was really long i cant imagine how long that mustve took to type

The Harris
03-25-2007, 08:18 PM
im confused my brain hurts

Ness
03-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Wow that was really long i cant imagine how long that mustve took to type

Haha I didn't think it was that long until you mentioned it... so I did a word count in a word processor and it was barely under 500 words. Didn't seem like much at the time, but if I were to guess how long it took it was probably barely over an hour to think about what I was going to say and then type it. If I was a fast typer then the post probably would have been a lot longer :oops:.

Groudon_fan
03-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Wow. Smart. Head. Hurt.

The Harris
04-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Haha I didn't think it was that long until you mentioned it... so I did a word count in a word processor and it was barely under 500 words. Didn't seem like much at the time, but if I were to guess how long it took it was probably barely over an hour to think about what I was going to say and then type it. If I was a fast typer then the post probably would have been a lot longer :oops:.

what if the computer froze :eek:

Ness
04-09-2007, 01:07 AM
what if the computer froze :eek:

Ehh... wouldn't have been the first time that has happened :susp:.

AshMistyMayfan
04-09-2007, 06:50 AM
This is weird for me...

If I use Bite, it's like a low level move. Yet if my Pokemon gets up to level 100, that move I considered 'useless' ends up being beneficial for it has more PP and helps out in long dungeons.

The move pound, on a level 38 Igglybuff, it kept hitting the opp. for 105 damage and beyond and KOing them at one time.

How come on PMD, the move 'Swift' that is a 20 PP hit on other games, is only a 8 PP move, or a Shock Wave at 20PP is only an 8?

Ness
04-09-2007, 05:33 PM
How come on PMD, the move 'Swift' that is a 20 PP hit on other games, is only a 8 PP move, or a Shock Wave at 20PP is only an 8?

This is one of the biggest problems I have with PMD; whoever decided on the PP really messed up. Any move in this game that has 100% accuracy will ALWAYS have very little PP (8 PP I think for every move of this type). Funny thing is that accuracy isn't a huge deal in this game; I know that for me personally, missing a hit usually won't mean life or death. What is even more frustrating is moves like Heat Wave which clear out rooms have 12 PP. I think that is a little rediculous.

Anyways PMD definately has its flaws. Hopefully these will be rectified in PMD 2 :rolleyes:.

The Harris
04-09-2007, 07:41 PM
This is one of the biggest problems I have with PMD; whoever decided on the PP really messed up. Any move in this game that has 100% accuracy will ALWAYS have very little PP (8 PP I think for every move of this type). Funny thing is that accuracy isn't a huge deal in this game; I know that for me personally, missing a hit usually won't mean life or death. What is even more frustrating is moves like Heat Wave which clear out rooms have 12 PP. I think that is a little rediculous.

Anyways PMD definately has its flaws. Hopefully these will be rectified in PMD 2 :rolleyes:.

YEY PMD 2!!!!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: PMD 2 RULEZ!!! YEY!!! PARTY 4 PMD 2!!!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: YEY!!!! PMD 2, PMD 2!!!!

Blue_Dragon_Mew
04-09-2007, 08:01 PM

I hope they make MD2 a lot better. Longer story line, better PP, 3D graphics:eek:, that kind of stuff.

The Harris
04-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I hope they make MD2 a lot better. Longer story line, better PP, 3D graphics:eek:, that kind of stuff.

did you say 3D that would be awsome but too good for DS why not WII or PS2 or 360 or even the ultimate PS3 :eek: :eek:

Blue_Dragon_Mew
04-09-2007, 08:16 PM
did you say 3D that would be awsome but too good for DS why not WII or PS2 or 360 or even the ultimate PS3 :eek: :eek:

Yes and that's because my parents won't let me get those kinds of systems:susp::susp::susp:

The Harris
04-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Yes and that's because my parents won't let me get those kinds of systems:susp::susp::susp:

what PS3 ive got it its awsome, well 50% awsome all it needs is PMD2 to be on that format with supreme graphics

Blue_Dragon_Mew
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
what PS3 ive got it its awsome, well 50% awsome all it needs is PMD2 to be on that format with supreme graphics

To bad Pokemon won't come out for PSanything. Pokemon is Nintendo, the PSs are Sony.

The Harris
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
To bad Pokemon won't come out for PSanything. Pokemon is Nintendo, the PSs are Sony.

so sonic is sega and PS2 is sony but sonic heroes was on PS2, Xbox, Gamecube

Blue_Dragon_Mew
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
so sonic is sega and PS2 is sony but sonic heroes was on PS2, Xbox, Gamecube

Sonic was also on Nintendo, and the people at pokemon.com said that pokemon wouldn't be out on PSP. Does Sega have any systems?

The Harris
04-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Sonic was also on Nintendo, and the people at pokemon.com said that pokemon wouldn't be out on PSP. Does Sega have any systems?

Seag Dreamcast, Sage Mega Drive ECT.

Corphish
04-15-2007, 01:24 PM
ill try 4 corphish w/articuno