PDA

View Full Version : Which Strategy guide will you buy?

Ravenn
04-06-2007, 12:11 AM
There are 2 strategy guides for Diamond and Pearl version. Which one are you going to buy? One is from Nintendo the other is from Prima publishing. They both say that they're the official Strategy Guide. If you want to see them before you post go to gamestop.com and click on the diamond and pearl game.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-06-2007, 12:13 AM
The official Nintendo one by far...

I got my Red/Blue guide from Prima way back in the day... A couple weeks later it started falling apart... Ever since then I haven't got anything from Prima.

Fire Pkmn Master
04-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I dont care. As long as they have everything I need and nothing different between the to in information and stuff.

I got my Red/Blue guide from Prima way back in the day... A couple weeks later it started falling apart... Ever since then I haven't got anything from Prima.

So what....You know how long ago that was. -____-

-Lucario-
04-06-2007, 12:16 AM
I dont care. As long as they have everything I need and nothing different between the to in information and stuff.I totally agree with Fire.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-06-2007, 12:20 AM
I totally agree with Fire.

Thing is, I have looked at recent Prima guides, and they just don't appeal to me. They're not as informative or accurate as the Nintendo guides, simply put.

Hoshika
04-06-2007, 12:22 AM
When I got a Prima guide once for FR/LG because I was stuck, it didn't even go on to the part where you get to Four Island. I haven't even used a guide since, but if I wanted a guide, I'd go Nintendo. They would proabaly have a guide on secret places and whatnot.

Ravenn
04-06-2007, 12:49 AM
When I got a Prima guide once for FR/LG because I was stuck, it didn't even go on to the part where you get to Four Island. I haven't even used a guide since, but if I wanted a guide, I'd go Nintendo. They would proabaly have a guide on secret places and whatnot.

Yeah that's what happened to me...I think I'll stick w/ nintendo

Nirvash
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM
amg. The Fr/Lg Prima guide didn't even go to the 4th sevii island. -_-

Anyway, if I had to get a guide, it would be a Nintendo guide, and it wouldn't be immediate. :D

Yggdrasill
04-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I'll be using the guides on GameFAQS as I can't stand the "official" guides, especially anything done by Bradygames. >_>
I prefer the guides on GFAQS as well, more reliable.

Nirvash
04-06-2007, 01:27 AM
I'll be using the guides on GameFAQS as I can't stand the "official" guides, especially anything done by Bradygames. >_>
I prefer the guides on GFAQS as well, more reliable.

They are more reliable, as they are user made and edited when they find a mistake. :P

charmeleonblaze
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM
I really don't care which 1 I get.

MagmarMan
04-06-2007, 02:23 AM
[QUOTE=Fire Pkmn Master;1010882]I dont care. As long as they have everything I need and nothing different between the to in information and stuff.

Thats true, but it seems to me recently that Prima has been better to me.

dialggron
04-06-2007, 03:59 AM
ill get the prima one . they actually tell u the items and pokemon that are on a route and where the item are there. in other word i dont like the nintendo power guides

NinjaDuelist
04-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Whichever one is cheaper for me. If they're both the same price, then I'll decide when I get there, depending on how everything is laid out throughout the guide.

SinnoBoy1
04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Nintendo's is more accurate, and plus it doesn't have typo's!!!! And Nintendo's has evrything and it's official. And finally, it is way better and it cost less. If you don't believe me go to www.gamestop.com then go to diamond and pearl.

Yggdrasill
04-06-2007, 06:25 PM
They are more reliable, as they are user made and edited when they find a mistake. :P
I said they were more accurate. =P
Anyway, I've bought official guides before and they were always really rubbish. I'd rather use a guide which is better and costs nothing to use, rather then use a guide which costs 12 and is really, really rubbish. =P

Caecity
04-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I just buy a Guidebook doesn't matter to meh.But I think All the guides I bought are Prima.

Razzmatazz
04-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Here here comrade. I have the Prima guide for FR/LG, and it is falling appart. Plus, it contains some wrong information, lack of information, messed up pictures in some spots, and is of pure low quality.
Too bad Brady isn't making a guide - their guides are great.

:rambo:

Kohaku
04-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm definitely buying the nintendo one. I have never bought a prima guide and later thought, "Wow, sure am glad I got this!" I despise prima guides with a passion lol :oops:

edit: does anyone remember perfect guides? That's what I had for all the games up until ruby/sapphire. I'm not sure if they make em anymore but those were the best damn guides I have ever used.

Razzmatazz
04-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm definitely buying the nintendo one. I have never bought a prima guide and later thought, "Wow, sure am glad I got this!" I despise prima guides with a passion lol :oops:

edit: does anyone remember perfect guides? That's what I had for all the games up until ruby/sapphire. I'm not sure if they make em anymore but those were the best damn guides I have ever used.

I remember them back in the N64 days... they must be out of commision, I haven't seen a guide by them in years.

:rambo:

spr bhav
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I am not going to buy the guide as i don't buy guides usually...

The Jr Trainer
04-06-2007, 07:25 PM
first i will probaly buy a guide afteri beat the game to see how to fill the dex.
I really dont lik either guide!!!
Nintendo: Put to gether better but on each pg. thay dont show wat mon you can find in that area.:dazed: :dazed:
Prima: retared bad put together but tell syou wat is on each route on each pg.

lg/fr=nintendo
prima=emerald (thay both suck)

pixlepix
04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
There are 2 strategy guides for Diamond and Pearl version. Which one are you going to buy? One is from Nintendo the other is from Prima publishing. They both say that they're the official Strategy Guide. If you want to see them before you post go to gamestop.com and click on the diamond and pearl game.

nintendo aso i think it will come out first

spartan117
04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I will use the free guide/walktrhoughs on GameFAQs.com & the internet. You people can waste your money though:::...

Phantom Kat
04-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Me, I'll probably go with Nintendo for I bought a PMD one from Prima while my friend got one from Nintendo and I liked his a little better than mine (although, the free poster is cool).

Since I usually like to buy the guide after I finish the main game, I'll use the online guides. I'll then use the official guide to fill the Pokedex, collect items I missed, etc.

Caecity
04-07-2007, 01:00 AM
I will use the free guide/walktrhoughs on GameFAQs.com & the internet. You people can waste your money though:::...

Some people might not be able to get on the computer all the time..so it's not wasting there money.

Kenny_C.002
04-07-2007, 01:51 AM
The only guides that were really good came from Double Jump, but those are pretty much Disgaea/NIS only guides. Personally I'd just grab the Gamefaqs ones. I only need guides to look up stats and like EV values anyway.

Neptune
04-07-2007, 01:54 AM
I'll buy whatever one has a good Pokedex/Pokemon info in general. I don't need it to get through the game, but it's nice to be able to keep track of where Pokemon are and when they're going to learn attacks without having to get online all the time. XD

Kenny_C.002
04-07-2007, 02:11 AM
I'll buy whatever one has a good Pokedex/Pokemon info in general. I don't need it to get through the game, but it's nice to be able to keep track of where Pokemon are and when they're going to learn attacks without having to get online all the time. XD
Yeah, that's pretty much the only downfall of it, having to have a computer near you all the time (note that you can always just download a walkthrough). Buying a guide is cheaper than printing the entire pokedex out from gamefaqs. Then again, something as small as an EV chart would have printing the more preferable method (and also Nintendo's guide doesn't talk about EVs).

MasterHaloModder
04-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Ill buy both I better understand Primas, Nintendos has more info.

Pearl
04-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Both, Just kidding.
I don't wanna spoil my gaming, and it's just gonna take the fun out of the game

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-07-2007, 07:17 AM
I only really use the guide for the Pokedex sections... Then I don't need to rely as haevily on the internet! :wink:

Pika-pika
04-07-2007, 06:22 PM
I dunno, I'll decide when I get stuck in a cave. Prima probably.

Ravenn
04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
A lot of people said they're just go to GameFAQs.com. That's cool and everything but I'd rather have a guide. It's easier than having to be near a computer. Plus my arms and not happy with all my time online....plus than I don't have to stop playing just to look at somethin in the pokedex area of guides.

AshMistyMayfan
04-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I ordered one, but the lame brains won't ship until April 30, so I'll be buying the one ToysRUs has when I pick up my games. I think the Prima book on Dungeon was more better then Nintendo.

To me, better to have a guide or you will get lost in the game. Hate to go into the dark caves and wind up stuck there. And there won't be an escape orb.

Nikki the Mew
04-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I usually buy Prima, but I'd just buy whichever I can find first, really.

mootixguy
04-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I'll get the cheaper one. I don't think it's that much different.

Wait. I'm not going to get a strategy guide unless I really have spare cash. It's a waste of money, and I've never gotten one before. You can just check out online FAQs which are less colorful but just as informative! Plus, they'll tell you about glitches and stuff that the official guides will never admit to.

Zodeon
04-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Prima is more helpful IMO, Nintendo just gets you through and doesnt spoil it, However i will buy niether.

Ravenn
04-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I usually buy Prima, but I'd just buy whichever I can find first, really.

The prima guide came out on the 11th.

Poonti
04-15-2007, 10:56 PM
The prima guide came out on the 11th.
the thing is, I looked up for guides and found only prima, but there were two. One for the scenario guide which'll come out on launch and one for pokedex coming out later. I find this bad because im not sure which to buy and if I buy one i'll want the other. Also, im not completely sure which one has exactly what and I don't trust them. If anyone has a link for nintendo guide please give, because, well, they made the game.

DeadlySin7
04-15-2007, 11:06 PM
I dont like using strategy guides. I like playing the game my way and going through it with my own experiences. Then again, ya never know, i might take a peek at one.:rolleyes:

MewCrystal
04-15-2007, 11:21 PM
My birthday is on May 5th, and I'm just asking for a random guide for Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. It'll probably be Prima, you can never find NP where I live...

I had a Ruby / Sapphire Prima. The pages are falling out; but I found it useful all the same. =P

DeadlySin7
04-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I still have my strategy guide to yellow....chewed and ripped up. Still living though.

Poonti
04-15-2007, 11:37 PM
I still have my strategy guide to yellow....chewed and ripped up. Still living though.
Nice avatar deadly, nice sig pearl. But yeah, I think i might just use my friends because i think he'll buy it or jus use gamefaqs man, its AWESOME! also I GOT MY BRAINS EATEN!!!!! its true

Kenny
04-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't need guides. Everything's straight forward. If I get stuck in a dungeon, I'll just look at some map on Serebii.

JentleViolence
04-16-2007, 01:55 AM
I'm getting the Nintendo one because it comes with a 20% discount when you buy it with the game. Yay.

mootixguy
04-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Bah! Gamefaqs.com is just much more informative. Those published guides may tell you about the game walkthrough, but they don't include stuff like breeding guide, guide to IVs and stuff! The only thing good about them: they're portable. But I have daily access to the comp, and when I'm on I might copy down anything I need to remember on paper for later. Long live amateur Faq creators!

Zavelin
04-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Bah! Gamefaqs.com is just much more informative. Those published guides may tell you about the game walkthrough, but they don't include stuff like breeding guide, guide to IVs and stuff! The only thing good about them: they're portable. But I have daily access to the comp, and when I'm on I might copy down anything I need to remember on paper for later. Long live amateur Faq creators!

I said the EXACT same thing to the folks at GameStop, but they made some good points.

1. OMG PRETTY FULL-COLOR PICTURES!! <3
2. It's just plain easier.
3. 20% discount (Which made the guide about 13.00)
4. Poster to hang on your wall
5. What's better than Official?
6. Prima Guides aren't exactly known for their durability

I have a job, so $13.00 is like "Meh. Why not". And with only ONE computer in my household, that just sweetened the deal.

charmeleonblaze
04-16-2007, 10:06 PM
ill get the prima one . they actually tell u the items and pokemon that are on a route and where the item are there. in other word i dont like the nintendo power guides

Yeah, i need to know what mons are in what route. I hope Shinx is early in the game.

Steven
04-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't think I need to waste money to pay for a guide for a game anyone can beat. It's pokemon not Rubik's Cube in the fourth dimension. Even if I needed a guide there's always gamefaqs and tons of other websites out there that go more indepth as in they explain what a macho brace does and what pokemon give what EVs.

Ravenn
04-17-2007, 02:56 AM
I don't think I need to waste money to pay for a guide for a game anyone can beat. It's pokemon not Rubik's Cube in the fourth dimension. Even if I needed a guide there's always gamefaqs and tons of other websites out there that go more indepth as in they explain what a macho brace does and what pokemon give what EVs.

It's true you don't need a guide to beat the game but,

a) not everyone is addicted to video games like crack, some people may have a hard time beating it if they don't play video games very often or it's their first one.

b) a guide is easier to access for some people than a computer, some people have to share, use their computer at work or at school so http://www.gamefaqs.com isn't an option for everyone.

c) Sometimes it's just fun having a guide. The pictures are colorful, they aren'y expensive and it's easier to find out stuff about what pokemon you need to trade for because it's not on your game or for getting information on what attacks will be learned at what level, and for evolution purposes.

In conclusion there are a few good reasons to obtain a guide.