PDA

View Full Version : Laying the Smackdown

Kenny_C.002
04-06-2007, 04:13 AM
Aggro. The word strikes fear upon the eyes of many men. To the aggro player, the only real thing that matters is how they would deal the 20 damage (or 8000LP or 50HP or w/e) as quickly as possible using the resources. Again, while this is written for mtg, the principles of the deck should be the same across formats.

Characteristics of Aggro:
1. Fast start, weakens as turns go by
2. Fast
3. Many fast creatures
4. Plays anywhere between 20-24 lands, with some exceptions

The idea of Aggro here is more simple than control. Play guys. Swing. Something's in the way? Kill it. Swing. Something's going to pwn all your guys? Too bad I guess.

Cards belonging to Aggro:
1. Low cost (in mtg, 1-3) creatures with high power.
Drawbacks are okay as long as they aren't prohibitive. Something like having to pay 3 life to put it into play is okay. But something like having to sac everything you have isn't. Essentially what you want here is to have a lot of cheap creatures that can deal as much damage as possible in the smallest period of time.

2. Removal (sometimes)
The easiest way to open up paths from the defense is to simply remove the defense from the equation. Removal is here because of that. Do note that not all aggro decks play removal, but most do, because it ties in with...

3. Reach
The easiest way to finish off the final points of damage is through reach. It doesn't matter whether reach comes from a creature that can deal damage outside the combat phase, or just direct burn. Either way, burn reigns supreme in reach for aggro. This is because it also serves as double duty on removal. However, it is noted that some decks don't need reach, because they have...

4. Evasion
Creatures that can somehow evade the defenses and go straight to the head. Abilities such as flying and shadow can easily knock your opponent out of their remaining life once things are getting a bit stale.

Building your Aggro deck:
Unlike control, which is very much difficult to build. Aggro is simple to build. Take 20-24 lands, then stuff it with lots of spells that cost 3 or less, with the occasional 4-mana guy. Generally you want to be able to drop a 1-mana guy on turn 1, a 2-mana guy on turn 2, etc. that the only consideration you have is how many cards of each mana cost you'd want to have. And that is something to tweak about. Another idea of doing aggro is to put everything of the same creature type and just hope that it works out with enough cheap stuff in there. XD

Playing your Aggro deck:
Again, unlike control, you almost always have a set plan in place. Play guys, attack. Kill things, attack. The combat phase is your best friend, and use it wisely. The only real big thing is that you may run into the problem of over-exerting yourself, but generally in a casual table that doesn't matter at all.

Again, the pros and cons:
Pros:
- Aggressive in nature, and therefore proactive
- Plays threats, not answers
- Doesn't care about most of the card game knowledge. Nobody cares about card advantage when I'm smashing your face
- Can always build something decent with commons/uncommons

Cons:
- no long game. Loses when you stop attacking
- Potential overexertion
- Not particularly "good" against any of the deck archetypes. Control can still establish control on you. Combo uses you as the standard for their clocks. Midrange has better creatures than you starting on turn 4. Of course, these are still all relative, and the differences are usually very minute.
- Works only on 1 level, damage

Jet
04-06-2007, 11:49 AM
what would u call my "slivers" with psionic then? =P its damaged based...

and would u consider cheap shots <several red blasters> aggro?

btw great crazy idea; silhana ledgewalker + auramancer's guise + a whole bunch of auras XD

!CeMAn
04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I think every MtG player has built the Red Speed deck at one point of another.
Goblins, burns, First Strike, etc.

A friend of mine had the craziest burn deck.
I think the only creatures were Lightning Elementals and the rest was Lightning Bolts and such. 40 card burn deck. It just threw you in the corner and started raping you from the first turn. Like at the ring of the bell, there's a sausage down your throat.

Of course there is the Goblin Decks.
Goblin Offensive + Goblin Bombardment = fun times.

Kenny_C.002
04-07-2007, 01:33 AM
what would u call my "slivers" with psionic then? =P its damaged based...

and would u consider cheap shots <several red blasters> aggro?

btw great crazy idea; silhana ledgewalker + auramancer's guise + a whole bunch of auras XD

Psionic Sliver costs 5, well above the range of aggro. I'd classify as either midrange/combo, or aggro/midrange. If it's with dormant, definitely midrange/combo. The pieces themselves may be cheap, but the key cards are all midrange.

Burn-based decks tend to be called aggro, yes.

Ledgewalker with anymore than just 1 enchantment (cloak) on it means you're setting yourself up for massive card disadvantage, as wraths are ubiquitous. It's generally not recommended for a reason. If you happen to really want to, I can't stop you either. :3

I think every MtG player has built the Red Speed deck at one point of another.
Goblins, burns, First Strike, etc.

A friend of mine had the craziest burn deck.
I think the only creatures were Lightning Elementals and the rest was Lightning Bolts and such. 40 card burn deck. It just threw you in the corner and started raping you from the first turn. Like at the ring of the bell, there's a sausage down your throat.

Of course there is the Goblin Decks.
Goblin Offensive + Goblin Bombardment = fun times.

Yeah, red speed decks and white weenie decks are the biggest examples of aggro at its finest. Newer guys like zoo has also shown up, but the principle of deck building remains the same: low cost + high power + manageable drawback (if any).

And goblin decks are awesome. I personally have a good goblin deck myself, but it's aggro/combo, so it doesn't belong here. lol

Jet
04-07-2007, 03:41 PM
so sui = aggro...

I think R/B madness qualifies as agro also...

though what of Simic beats? =/

what's the classification for big fatties in the end then?

Kenny_C.002
04-07-2007, 03:56 PM
so sui = aggro...

I think R/B madness qualifies as agro also...

though what of Simic beats? =/

what's the classification for big fatties in the end then?

RB Madness is aggro. Some might say aggro/combo though. I tend to prefer calling it a combo deck as well, since madness is just one big combo anyway.

Simic beats? I haven't seen many UG builds other than pickles myself. But as long as it follows the same approximate rules of aggro (nothing over 3 mana, if there is, it's 4 mana and few of them are there. 5 mana is pushing things.). And pickles is combo. XD

Classification for big fatties decks probably goes either to midrange (cuz midrange curves 4 and up) or combo, depending on how you get the fatties out. If you happen to see a deck with an early beating and fatties, chances are it's either a hybrid of aggro/midrange, or it's just bad deckbuilding.

InvertrevnI
04-07-2007, 04:01 PM
lmao Sunburst.

Most of the aggro decks I've made have been flops. The few that worked were fun, though.

What's a good start for building a goblins deck?

Kenny_C.002
04-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Goblin decks depend on how much money you have to waste. Lower budget goblin decks play goblin kings. Higher budget ones play piledrivers and warchiefs (and my build somehow has them all...). A good start for any good goblin deck in casual starts with hording the commons from onslaught. No exceptions. XD

What the early guys do is that they give you a solid base. Skirk prospector is considered for banning in extended for a reason. Goblin sledder is a strong card that is a fine 1-drop. Goblin taskmaster makes sure you never waste mana. Sparksmith kills blockers.

The point to goblin decks is being fast. Use lots of 1-drops and 2-drops that can do the damage (i.e. say 1 power for a 1 drop, 2 power for a 2 drop, except sparksmith), and usually using something really nasty to pump them all up at the same time (see goblin king and goblin piledriver). Afterwards, it's just fitting you deck with burn to round out the deck, so you have your reach, or add mass-pumping cards (i.e. cards that say give +2/+0 to all attacking creatures) that can win you games faster.

More aggro-combo variants play patriarch's bidding instead, but requires goblin warchief. Some run fecundity to hate on control, while others abuse fecundity to make an aggro/combo deck for goblins (like me).

Note that goblin decks don't have evasion, which tends to be a problem for newer players, since attacking = blocker killing your goblin. What they don't realize is that you need to put in as many points of damage as possible in the early game, since the later the game, the less likely they will win.