PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon, Pokemon Abilities, and Pokemon Attacks?

skiboydoggy
04-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, I have been RPing Pokemon for quite a large chunk of my life now, starting from about four or five years ago up to today. But for all these years, there have been a few things that bugged me about certain Pokemon, and the more Pokemon there are, the more it bugs me. So, opinions on the following anyone?

Water Type Pokemon.
Many of them are fish and the like, and look utterly incapable of fighting and moving on land, and are about restricted to flopping around. At least, that is how some people play it. How do you handle your Water type Pokemon?
Also, with regards to this, Hydro Pump appears in the games as jets of water that burst out of the ground, though the anime and manga have varying representations of this attack. So how do you use them?

Flying Type Pokemon.
No great beef with them, except that they possess the ability to just soar away from any attack that wants to strike them, and appear to be just about invulnerable to any form of physical attack from non-Flying Pokemon. Heck, they look as though they can dodge non-Physical attacks if they are high enough anyway.
For me, I just make it such that they have to go pretty low to use their attacks, even the likes of Gust. This grants my opponents an opening I think, but it still seems pretty unfair to me. What are all your opinions on this almost god-moddy type?

Ground and Rock Type Attacks.
Mud Shot, a huge chunk of Earth flying at your target. Why is Flying still immune to it? Though I do not have real beef with this, I feel it is a nice point to bring up nonetheless.
But what I really want to know is how you lot use Earthquake and Fissure? Not every place is conducive to jumping around causing large quakes. And how is shaking the ground a bit the second strongest Ground Type Attack?
And Fissure causes an instant KO in game, but outside, it seems more one hit kill to me, what with creating a fissure in the ground and opponents falling through. Same with most other OHKO attacks really.
And Rock, Rock Type attacks just irk me. Rock Throw, Rock Slide, Rock Blast. Where the hell do the rocks come from anyway?!

Slaking and Truant.
Simple enough to understand. How do you make it such that you skip a turn each without looking lame and saying: "Slaking was too lazy to move for now, so he skipped it..."

I have others, but I'm tired...

So, how do you handle these? Or how WOULD you handle these?

Hoshika
04-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, I have been RPing Pokemon for quite a large chunk of my life now, starting from about four or five years ago up to today. But for all these years, there have been a few things that bugged me about certain Pokemon, and the more Pokemon there are, the more it bugs me. So, opinions on the following anyone?

I'll help with your situation. But just to inform you, most of the attacks are usually based on animé appearance. Any moves that did not appear in it (i.e., Doom Desire) would probably be based on game appearance, only tweaked to be more realistic.

Water Type Pokemon.
Also, with regards to this, Hydro Pump appears in the games as jets of water that burst out of the ground, though the anime and manga have varying representations of this attack. So how do you use them?

In all cases except Water Pulse, water is blasted out of the mouth, or in Blastoise's case, out of cannons in their shell. Hydro Pump is simply a very strong Water Gun attack and is almost always shown in the same manner.

Flying Type Pokemon.
No great beef with them, except that they possess the ability to just soar away from any attack that wants to strike them, and appear to be just about invulnerable to any form of physical attack from non-Flying Pokemon. Heck, they look as though they can dodge non-Physical attacks if they are high enough anyway.

That's how birds and stuff are. They cannot, although, fly for extremely long distances/times, so that would be sometrhing to counter that.

For me, I just make it such that they have to go pretty low to use their attacks, even the likes of Gust. This grants my opponents an opening I think, but it still seems pretty unfair to me. What are all your opinions on this almost god-moddy type?

Gust CAN be done from high up in the air, but remember the science of Earth. The higher you go, the less air there is. If a Flying type does Gust, let's say... in space, there is no gust. Wing Attack and Sky Attack, though, are physical. Check the attack types in D/P for official stuff.

Ground and Rock Type Attacks.
Mud Shot, a huge chunk of Earth flying at your target. Why is Flying still immune to it? Though I do not have real beef with this, I feel it is a nice point to bring up nonetheless.
But what I really want to know is how you lot use Earthquake and Fissure? Not every place is conducive to jumping around causing large quakes. And how is shaking the ground a bit the second strongest Ground Type Attack?

Remember that the ground does not only shake in an earthquake. It can also collide and blast into some sort of peak, depending on what plates are shifted and in what manner. And, if you have learned, there's 3 types of seismic waves. P waves, S waves. and surface waves.

P waves travel first and go in an almost straight line, and can go through material like water or anything soft like that. Eventually, a "P wave" from a Pokémon's attack would hit the target, thusly giving reason to how it can miss when hitting a Pokémon that does not have Levitate or is a Flying type. Jumping up probably won't solve the problem, either, so don't say that.

S waves are more powerful than P waves. They travel in a zigzag, so in an attack, that would have more range. A Pokémon would be safe from this in a lake, pond, or anything that is watery. They would not be safe from liquefaction, though, so they might be sucked into the ground. Careful!

Surface waves are most powerful. They are the ones that form right at the surface of the ground, so if a Pokémon tries to run away, the surface waves will come and get them.

P waves, S waves, and surface waves weaken and go away with distance. If the Pokémon that is the target is right next to the user, it will cause more damage with this logic applied.

And Fissure causes an instant KO in game, but outside, it seems more one hit kill to me, what with creating a fissure in the ground and opponents falling through. Same with most other OHKO attacks really.

One word: Accuracy. These attacks most likely will miss 75% of the time in RPing. That's why most people use Earthquake instead.

And Rock, Rock Type attacks just irk me. Rock Throw, Rock Slide, Rock Blast. Where the hell do the rocks come from anyway?!

Try asking about the water from Water attacks. The rock is simply generated from a. the Pokémon's body, or b. from the ground. Have you ever seen Earthbending in Avatar: The Last Airbender? They send force into the ground, control the rock around with their bending power, and launch it away. These principles apply to those Rock-type attacks. And remember this: Minerals and gemstones COUNT AS ROCK.

Slaking and Truant.
Simple enough to understand. How do you make it such that you skip a turn each without looking lame and saying: "Slaking was too lazy to move for now, so he skipped it..."

I have others, but I'm tired...

So, how do you handle these? Or how WOULD you handle these?

Slaking and any other Pokémon with Truant just has an attack speed going at irregular intervals. One turn, Slaking will take a long time to set up an attack. Another turn, the attack becomes instantaneous. Just because the game says they don't attack doesn't mean they're immobilized.

Plus, have you ever played PMD? The basic A attack does not apply to Truant.

skiboydoggy
04-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Very enlightening. Really.
But Rocks being thrown around in say, a building would make no sense at all, which makes me sad. Still, these things are mostly worth noting, (almost typoed as nothing there,) and well, take them to heart I will.

But do your water types flop around in battle? Or do you just not use Water types above ground?

Hoshika
04-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Very enlightening. Really.
But Rocks being thrown around in say, a building would make no sense at all, which makes me sad. Still, these things are mostly worth noting, (almost typoed as nothing there,) and well, take them to heart I will.

But do your water types flop around in battle? Or do you just not use Water types above ground?

Well, does a Squirtle flop around when they are in no water?

It depends on what type of Pokémon it is. Obviously, I wouldn't use a fish-like Pokémon in a dry, dry desert. That's why Pokémon like Feraligatr or Azumarill are more efficient.

Also, Gyarados is able to fly, so it can be used on most terrain.

Neptune
04-07-2007, 10:41 PM
I go based more on what I think the Pokemon would react with. Even with what's normally an immunity--like Haunter has Levitate, so he's immune to ground attacks. But Mud Slap throws dirt at him, so if he was visible and solid he would feel the attack unless he avoided it in some way. As for flying types, projectile attacks and other fliers seem to work well in RP to take them down. XD

How do you guys handle Hidden Power? I just have it affect whatever's in the area--HP electric causes thunderstorms, HP grass moves trees/roots/grass, etc. XD

Hoshika
04-07-2007, 10:43 PM
I go based more on what I think the Pokemon would react with. Even with what's normally an immunity--like Haunter has Levitate, so he's immune to ground attacks. But Mud Slap throws dirt at him, so if he was visible and solid he would feel the attack unless he avoided it in some way. As for flying types, projectile attacks and other fliers seem to work well in RP to take them down. XD

How do you guys handle Hidden Power? I just have it affect whatever's in the area--HP electric causes thunderstorms, HP grass moves trees/roots/grass, etc. XD

Hidden Power has been shown in both the animé AND the games as spheres of energy surrounding the user and then being launched at the target. They also don't change color, so I think that the target's trainer or any spectators shouldn't be able to know what type it is.

Neptune
04-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Hidden Power has been shown in both the animé AND the games as spheres of energy surrounding the user and then being launched at the target. They also don't change color, so I think that the target's trainer or any spectators shouldn't be able to know what type it is.

Ahh, I don't watch the anime, and I always took the game graphics with a grain of salt, since they also have the Pokemon sitting around waiting to be attacked and taking turns, too. XD

FireflyK
04-07-2007, 11:03 PM
For flyers, remember that their wings must support their weight... Thus they can get tired doing this at some point. =P

Waters... Well... Need water to fight for the most part. :\

As to Slaking... ^_^ Just have him be lying around, as though the last attack tired him/her too much to move again so quickly. Or have an attack take them 2 turns to complete due to slowness/laziness. Hehe.

As to Ghostly immunity, I assume its if they're in a ghost like form. A solid Pokemon who's using, say, a physical attack, would be able to be hit by the same.