PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon that benefit from the physical/special split

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I like my titles to usually be to-the-point.

And don't post here for Pokemon that suffer from the split... There's another thread I made for that.

Right off the top of my head is every Dragon Pokemon. Dragons usually have amazing attack, but, with the exception of the average-Power Aerial Ace on some, have no way of exploiting a STAB move, because Dragon moves are all special.

Until now. They've finally done what should of been done since day 1. The moves are now realistic. If it's a punch, it's physical. If it's an energy beam, it's special.

So finally, a Salamence or Dragonite with Dragon Claw is appropriate AND powerful. But if your Dragon is all about Sp. Atk, then there's Dragon Pulse (a bit stronger, mind you).

So, there's Dragonite, Salamence, Flygon...

Tyranitar can Crunch hard now, and Feraligatr learns Aqua Tail, so it can exploit it's type better against Rock, Ground, and Fire.

Hitmonchan can be an elemental sweeper with the element punches.

Gengar can get STAB with Shadow Ball, simce it's special now.

There's so many Pokemon who benefit from this, it's game-changing. And game-changing for the best. :biggrin:

Zodeon
04-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Metagross with Meteor Mash Being Physical.

Saremu
04-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I asked somewhere about this split, but people where like WTF are you talking about?

A Venemoth would benefit with Sludge Bomb as it has high special attack. I think bug moves were only physical before too, so Signal Beam would pack a punch too.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-10-2007, 09:26 PM

Meteor Mash was always physical... Steel was a physical-only element.

Kingler and Crawdaunt can finally use Crabhammer usefully, since it's now physical.

Lucavi
04-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Alakazam can now hit Tyranitar hard with Focus blast, Gyarados has now a great Stab move, Heracross can hurt ghosts with Pursuit/Shadow claw, etc.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Venusaur, Vileplume, and Roserade benefit from Sludge Bomb being a special move. And Sludge Bomb is better off special, I'd say.

Leman
04-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Venusaur, Vileplume, and Roserade benefit from Sludge Bomb being a special move. And Sludge Bomb is better off special, I'd say.

And they made Poison Jab for the physical sweepers.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-11-2007, 03:44 AM
And they made Poison Jab for the physical sweepers.

And it's one of the attacks that makes Rapidash worth raising!

Yah, Rapidash gets Poison Jab and Megahorn from the move relearner, and learns Flare Blitz, a physical, Fire-type Double Edge.

NinjaDuelist
04-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Blissey can benefit for using Hyper Beam. Hyper Beam is now a special attack, and Blissey's attack sucks. Alakazam also benefits from this.

mootixguy
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
The Pokemon I thought about when this change rolled out was Gyarados. It's in my Emerald team, since I thought it looked cool, but obviously its Surfs and other Special Attack moves do lousy damage. There's physical Waterfall and there should be new Special moves. Gyarados can only be better off with this move.

Chris9898
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Feraligatr gets physical crunch!

SiberianTiger
04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Arcanine really get's a boost with the new split, about time considering his attack stat, Hitmonchan also is going to be a blast to use with the Punches now becoming phsyical attacks, there are other but not off the top of my head.

~Isaiah

wildfire1313
04-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Dark pokemon like absol and sneasel will benefit because bite and crunch will now be physical and they have high attack but low sp.atk

NinjaDuelist
04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Kyogre will also benefit as Hyper Beam is special. In other words, anything with a high special and low attack can now use Hyper Beam to its advantage.

Aside from that, I can't think of anything at this point. I'll post back when I do.

skiboydoggy
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Generally all Pokemon that used to have misplaced stats are going to benefit from this split now, but what I'm really hyped about in DP is Shuckle.

POWER TRICK FTW!

But the Pokemon that are really going to benefit most are:

Hitmonchan
Dragonite
Gengar
Dark Types
Grass/Poison double types.

Caecity
04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Yea can't wait now my Alakazam can blast tose Tyranotors.

Alienshroom
04-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Well my Fralagatr has good attack so I taght him Ice Punchfor D/P The Abra with all three punchs is useless now. Ho-oh's Sacred Fire helps him also.

Caecity
04-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Yea I was thinking of doing that with my Alakazam breeding it with another to get a Abra with all three punches.

Alienshroom
04-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Yea I was thinking of doing that with my Alakazam breeding it with another to get a Abra with all three punches.

Abra and his evolved forms have such low attack though its useless.

Caecity
04-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Yea, I know to bad though.

MagmarMan
04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Feraligatr gets physical crunch!

Thats good. I love Feraligatr and that'll just make him more of a contender.

Steven
04-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Meteor mash was already physical, if anything it changed to special.

mootixguy
04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Wow. I just love this new battling system. It makes tons more sense, and adds a whole new dimension to battling! Pokemon that were once cast off for having wrong stats can now start pwning.

Kenny
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
There are also some Pokemon that are hindered by this split like Sceptile and Alakazam, which was already mentioned. But overall, this split thing is cool.

spr bhav
04-20-2007, 07:52 PM
There are also some Pokemon that are hindered by this split like Sceptile and Alakazam, which was already mentioned. But overall, this split thing is cool.
yeah i must agree... Can you see whether an attack is Physical/ special at the lower screen when you battle?

Caecity
04-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't know but I think Serebii tell you which moves are SPecial, Psychial, and the other thing.

Blue_Dragon_Mew
04-20-2007, 09:30 PM
yeah i must agree... Can you see whether an attack is Physical/ special at the lower screen when you battle?

I think it's supposed to tell you.

spr bhav
04-20-2007, 09:34 PM
I think it's supposed to tell you.
ok that's ok then, just wanted to know. thanks.

The Maple Syrup Baptist
04-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Bump.

I'm only bumping my old threads because I thought they'd be more useful now that the games are actually out.

mootixguy
04-22-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't know about during a battle, but I've seen screenies and in the Pokemon status screen where they show the moves, they put a Physical/Special/Other sign next to it. The exact same signs as what Serebii used actually.

Piplup123
04-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Hmmm...how much would a Sceptile benefit from this?

Piplup123
04-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Whoops! look at the time,I gotta go to a birthday party,bye!!

spr bhav
04-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Whoops! look at the time,I gotta go to a birthday party,bye!!

Hmmm...how much would a Sceptile benefit from this?

stop double posting, use the 'edit' button