PDA

View Full Version : Which starter is the best?

naturalgenius
04-18-2007, 10:18 AM
I know there is probably a thread on this subject, but I'm new at this. I was curious what is the best one out of all three? :eh:

Blaziken Knight
04-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Naetoru or something whats his name?, the green guy. hes cool

Razzmatazz
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Turtwig (Grass type) is a good choice, and it can fare well against the first gym. It eventually becomes Grass/Ground, giving it a very unique type.

Chimchar (Fire type) wont do good at the first gym unless you evolve it by then, since when it evolves it becomes Fighting type too, and Fighting is strong against the Rock types in the first gym. If you've used Blaziken, expect Chimchar and his evolutionns to pretty much be a clone of that.

Piplup (Water) can easily take on the first gym with its type, but it will only know Bubble by then unless you really over level it early on. Eventually, t becomes Water/Steel, which gives it a good amount of resistance, but I've heard that despite that its kind of weak.

So, statistically, Turtwig is the best choice, followed by Chimchar and lastly Piplup. But you could play the game with any one of those and still be alright - remember, you'll have a full party of 6 Pokemon, so you don't have to rely on just the Starter.

:rambo:

mootixguy
04-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes, I think there's probably already a thread on this, but I shan't be unsporting.

DP's starters are ALL cool in their own right, with interesting type-combos. I'm choosing Turtwig because he's cute, and because I'm tired of choosing Fire starters. Besides, he can Earthquake Infernape and has high HP, attack and defence! Haha. Infernape is the super attack guy. He has equal Attack and Special Attack, both great, but he may not be able to endure many hits. Empoleon... not sure what it has, but its Steel type provides it lots of resistances, notably neutralizing the weakness to Grass.

They're all good, unlike in the past where one starter (usually the Fire one) was deemed better.

Dragon trainner guy
04-18-2007, 02:56 PM
they are all well balnce like in every game the grass one goes weak to the fire type becuase he becomes a fighting type to defeat the ground and the water steel one beats the fire type but also loses to the grass type and losses sum of his not very effectiveness to the fire type becuase of his steel weakness to him in a way it seems infernoape has the advantage becuase he can fear well agisnt the others his fire attack becomes normal attack toward the water/steel and his fighting techs destory the grass/ground but not that much of a advantage though

Razzmatazz
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM
they are all well balnce like in every game the grass one goes weak to the fire type becuase he becomes a fighting type to defeat the ground and the water steel one beats the fire type but also loses to the grass type and losses sum of his not very effectiveness to the fire type becuase of his steel weakness to him in a way it seems infernoape has the advantage becuase he can fear well agisnt the others his fire attack becomes normal attack toward the water/steel and his fighting techs destory the grass/ground but not that much of a advantage though

Um, Fighting isn't Super Effective on Ground, so... Torterra uses Earthquake, Infernape fainsts, we have a winner.

Emeraldsuicune
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
All depends on what you like. I'm choosing Turtwig becuase of type/lvl. up moves. Usually i go with water types...

Dragon trainner guy
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Um, Fighting isn't Super Effective on Ground, so... Torterra uses Earthquake, Infernape fainsts, we have a winner.
oh

oh yea i keep thinking about tranyatar which is dark my fualt lol:biggrin:

Legendary Wolf
04-18-2007, 06:08 PM
In my opinion Piplup/Turtwig are the best because of the types both of them get when they evolve. Look at Turtwig its going to be Grass/Ground which is going to take away Poison>Grass and now can be overcomed(not word got it...). And Piplup is now a unique penguin pokemon thats Water/Steel that almost COMPLETLY ruins the Electric-ness that once killed Water types. And Chimcar we've experienced as Torchic and its family so theres no need to explain...just has alot of weaknesses. Such as Water, Ground, Flying, Psychic, Rock and so forth.

Elemental_Blast
04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
unlike most of you im havin piplup as my starter and getting the others off my bro and my friend as i think that piplups top evoltion empoleon have a good type and stats

Kenny
04-18-2007, 06:57 PM
In my opinion Piplup/Turtwig are the best because of the types both of them get when they evolve. Look at Turtwig its going to be Grass/Ground which is going to take away Poison>Grass and now can be overcomed(not word got it...). And Piplup is now a unique penguin pokemon thats Water/Steel that almost COMPLETLY ruins the Electric-ness that once killed Water types. And Chimcar we've experienced as Torchic and its family so theres no need to explain...just has alot of weaknesses. Such as Water, Ground, Flying, Psychic, Rock and so forth.

Water/Steel is not resistant to Electric types, just Grass.

Infernape uses Flamethrower, and Torterra is dead. After all, Infernape has a higher base Speed stat than Torterra even with a speed-hindering nature such as relaxed.

Personally, I don't like any of them. I'll just do eenie-meenie-minie-mo and pick one.

Teni-chaan
04-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I know there is probably a thread on this subject, but I'm new at this. I was curious what is the best one out of all three? :eh:

Well my opinion is Piplup but im thinking Turtwig might probably be the strongest, but then again I really dont know >.<

charmeleonblaze
04-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Chimchar is best all the way man!:cool:

naturalgenius
04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks. I was thinking either Turtwig or Chimchar, but I can't decide.

mjb4991
04-18-2007, 08:58 PM
I like turtwig the most:cool: . I don't like Pilpup so I won't get that:sleepy: . And I don't like Chimchar the monkey:sleepy: . The only bad thing about Turtwig is grass pokemon have lots of weaknesses.:rolleyes:

naturalgenius
04-18-2007, 09:00 PM
I usually go with fire. Infernape has great speed, and some weaknesses. Torterra has slow speed, a lot of attack, hp, and defence, but I don't know that many things grass is really aaffective on.

Dialga913191
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
To me Piplup because when it becomes Empoleon it can learn ice beam which is still affective against grass pokemon and ull need it of u get Piplup.

DeadlySin7
04-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Everyone puts down my man fire because he dosent have an advantage over the first gym, but trust me he's a supreme monkey...Dont forget monkeys throw poop.:oops:

spr bhav
04-18-2007, 09:19 PM
The grass one has lower Sp.Atk than Atk but Ground is mostly Special and grass is mostly special. Infernape is great because fighting is Physical and fire is special and guess what? They both are equal, how great is that?

Kenny
04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Torterra can learn physical attacks like EQ and Wood Hammer, which can go good with its attack stat.

Ravenn
04-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I guess from reading the other responses you can concludet hat any of the starters will be good depending on how you raise the pokemon and what attacks you teach it.

Aqua PKMN Master
04-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Going back to what Dialga193191 said, Yes it can learn Ice Beam but it can learn Drill Peck as a level up move which gives u another option!

Sean Connery
04-19-2007, 12:55 AM
I hate to be the lame, unopinionated guy to say this, but they all have their good and bad points...EXCEPT FOR CHIMCHAR WHO IS JUST AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psycho__Ryan
04-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Heck, Torterra is a Continant Pokemon, just like Groudon, so he is basicly Ledgendary, and also, he is just plain flipp'n sweet, so that is why I choose him. Also my friend is getting both games, so we are going to make eggs and trade them.

legendarychamp22
04-19-2007, 04:51 AM
It's just your choice. I think I'll decide on appearance, and get Turtwig. Forget the fire monkey.

slick_ace94
04-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Well, they all have pros/cons. This is my opinion:

Torterra: I think he is probably the best starter. He could defeat both Infernape with Earthquake, and Empoleon for obvious reasons. Great. It could beat both starters. Plus, it has a unique type combination giving it some new resistiances, as well as eliminating some weakness.

Infernape: I really like Infernape, and I hate to admit it, but he is probably the worst starter in D/P. He can't beat Torterra with fire moves because Torterra is part ground. Can't beat Empoleon for obvious reasons. Though he could probably beat both starters with his fighting moves. Still, not that good of a starter.

Empoleon: Whoo I love Empoleon! I think he is tied with Torterra. He can beat, no, whip Infernape, and has Ice Beam, which will kill Torterra. Another good starter. Very balanced and has many resistances due to it being part steel, including the ever popular dragon pokemon. :)

So, overall it comes down to opinion. My opinion is Empoleon, but that's just me. I love water pokemon.

Razzmatazz
04-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Well, it's time to go into this for real.

Torterra's Base Stats
HP:95
Attack:109
Defense:105
Sp.Atk:75
Sp.Def:85
Speed:56

Infernape's Base Stats
HP:76
Attack:104
Defense:71
Sp.Atk:104
Sp.Def:71
Speed:108

Empoleon's Base Stats
Hp:84
Attack:86
Defense:88
Sp.Atk:111
Sp.Def:101
Speed:60

According to their base stats, Torterra has potentially the highest Attack and Defense out of the bunch, its Special Defense is ok, but its Special Attack isn't great, being the lowest of the three Starters, as well as the slowest.

Infernape is balanced at either Special Attacking or Physical Attacking, but isn't the best in either area. His Defense and special Defense are the worst of all three, as is his HP, making him the most fragile. His Speed is great though, able to outspeed both of the others.

Empoleon has the best Special Attack and Special Defense. Its HP is inbetween the other two, but is decent. It's low Speed can barely outspeed Torterra. Worst Attack, but middle Defense makes him a mixed bag.

So, it looks like Torterra is the best Defense wise, with solid Defense stats and a good HP to make use of it, plus all those annoying Grass moves like Leech Seed and Synthesis can keep it alive - it also has the best Attack of the bunch to make use of Earthquake. Infernape is fragile with low HP and Defenses, but its Speed and solid Attack stats should be enough to get in and do some fast damage. Empoleon has the best Specials, ok Attack, Defense, and HP, but low Speed. It looks like it can handle a few differant situations.
There, if you're still alive after reading that, well, you're probably more confused than you were at the beggining :ermm: Just see the stats and maybe it'll help you decide on which one to pick based on your play style, whether you prefer good offense, defense, or speed.

mootixguy
04-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, they all have pros/cons. This is my opinion:

Torterra: I think he is probably the best starter. He could defeat both Infernape with Earthquake, and Empoleon for obvious reasons. Great. It could beat both starters. Plus, it has a unique type combination giving it some new resistiances, as well as eliminating some weakness.

Infernape: I really like Infernape, and I hate to admit it, but he is probably the worst starter in D/P. He can't beat Torterra with fire moves because Torterra is part ground. Can't beat Empoleon for obvious reasons. Though he could probably beat both starters with his fighting moves. Still, not that good of a starter.

Empoleon: Whoo I love Empoleon! I think he is tied with Torterra. He can beat, no, whip Infernape, and has Ice Beam, which will kill Torterra. Another good starter. Very balanced and has many resistances due to it being part steel, including the ever popular dragon pokemon. :)

So, overall it comes down to opinion. My opinion is Empoleon, but that's just me. I love water pokemon.

Not totally correct. Ground does not RESIST Fire. Fire does normal damage against Ground, just that Ground does SE damage against Fire. Also, Grass does half damage against Steel type, therefore Empoleon is not weak to Grass attacks. Ironically, it is weak to Torterra's second type, Ground.