PDA

View Full Version : Housten, Wii have a problem

Zenaku
04-20-2007, 02:34 AM
I'll start by apologising for the bad pun title. Forgive me.

Now, the problem. I bought a Japanese Wii from Play-Asia (Along with Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn). Due to some mistakes however (I'm not a plug expert), when I plugged it all in there was a power surge. Most of the electric items in my house shut down automatically (With my parents fish-tank pump being the only thing not working).

Besides the power surge, the fuse in the plug I used with the Wii blew, yet it didn't prevent the AC Adapter from blowing with it (It was hard to mistake a huge yellow spark in front of my face). After sorting out the right voltage converter, the Unit doesn't work anymore, so naturally the Wii doesn't either. I ordered a new AC Adapter from Play-Asia (Hopefully it'll arrive by Sunday).

My question is this: has anyone else had their AC Adapter blow from a power surge (Despite being fused)? And if so, did the same surge end up damaging the main Wii unit itself? Or did it work perfectly fine after getting a new Adapter?

I know there aren't likely to be many members here who've had their Wii blow (And even less of that number may look here), but info of situations involving external PSUs should also apply, so any info is welcome. Ah, what I go through to get my first taste of playing the Wii...

Ridley
04-20-2007, 02:39 AM
I've had an adapter blow up in my face before, but not my Wii one.

Zenaku
04-20-2007, 02:42 AM
I've had an adapter blow up in my face before, but not my Wii one.

Did what is was for continue working? Or did you replace the whole thing without checking?

Ridley
04-20-2007, 02:50 AM
I think the thing it was used for still worked, just not the adapter.

Zenaku
04-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Ah, that's reassuring. Now I can sleep easy and hope that the new voltage converter I have won't blow the new one I ordered. Many thanks.

Lucavi
04-20-2007, 02:55 AM
yea, in general most modern devices have a built-in resistance that prevents the voltage from getting to the very core of the system, so unless the charge was really high, the wii should be working fine with the new adapter

Zenaku
04-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Well, thanks for the comfort guys. My adapter arrived yesterday and my Wii's in working condition.

Thanks.

George Jefferson
04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Since people already solved your problem, I'm just gonna say this:

Let the Wii-tarded puns die already. D:

Zenaku
04-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Since people already solved your problem, I'm just gonna say this:

Let the Wii-tarded puns die already. D:

I know, Wii've all had enough. I think using it instead of "we" is fine though, since Nintendo do the same (Wii Play, and one of their commercials which had Japanese asking "Wii would like to play").

As much as I'm enjoying Fire Emblem, it doesn't satisfy the Wiimote urge, so I ordered a few extra things, like Wii Sports (As it's not included with the Japanese version), Bleach: Wii, and Pangya. Unfortunately, Pangya isn't readily available, so I may need to wait up to 2 weeks for a real Wii experience... =[

Pokeboy sarab
04-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I know, Wii've all had enough. I think using it instead of "we" is fine though, since Nintendo do the same (Wii Play, and one of their commercials which had Japanese asking "Wii would like to play").

As much as I'm enjoying Fire Emblem, it doesn't satisfy the Wiimote urge, so I ordered a few extra things, like Wii Sports (As it's not included with the Japanese version), Bleach: Wii, and Pangya. Unfortunately, Pangya isn't readily available, so I may need to wait up to 2 weeks for a real Wii experience... =[
Please enough with the puns, I still remember Serebii's "Serewii.net" thats was just weird.

EspeonSun
04-24-2007, 07:04 PM
I got a Wii but it didn't blow up in my face so yeah, I consider myself lucky