PDA

View Full Version : We're going after Lugia

snorelax_himself
04-20-2007, 07:08 PM
The master ball got used- don't ask :redface:- but we're going in after Lugia anyway.

We're loading up on revives, ultra balls, lemonades, and elixers.

The main party is:
Suicune
Snorelax
Kadabra
Haunter

The first two can hit and can take a hit. Kadabra has psychic and recover and should be ok. Haunter is going because he has psychic and hypnosis which we think we'll need.

We also must take:
Gyrados- 'cause he's where whirlpool ended up
Noctowl- 'cause he's where flash ended up

The strategy is to just stand there and take whatever gets dished out using revives and healing until Lugia runs out of PP's on anything offensive he can do. Then we'll try to hit him, drop him into the red, sleep him :sleepy: , bag'im, and tag'im.

Wish us luck- we'll let you know.

Lock and load!! :rambo:

spr bhav
04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
The master ball got used- don't ask :redface:- but we're going in after Lugia anyway.

The main party is:
Suicune
Snorelax
Kadabra
Haunter

The first two can hit and can take a hit. Kadabra has psychic and recover and should be ok. Haunter is going because he has psychic and hypnosis which we think we'll need.

We also must take:

The strategy is to just stand there and take whatever gets dished out using revives and healing until Lugia runs out of PP's on anything offensive he can do. Then we'll try to hit him, drop him into the red, sleep him :sleepy: , bag'im, and tag'im.

good luck ... I am not really good at the 2nd Gen, more better at the others..

Ness
04-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Heavy Ball is going to be the most effective ball for this job by far. Catch rate on a Lugia with an Ultra Ball is 6 but with a Heavy Ball it is 23. Heavy Ball is made from I think a Black Apricorn (anyone can correct me here :oops:). Have one made then use the Pokemon clone trick to make about 10-20. You can try freezing Lugia with Ice Beam or Blizzard then bring him down to 1Hp with False Swipe. If you do this then you won't have too much trouble catching Lugia. Make sure you save before you fight it too.

snorelax_himself
04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Hmm. Sounds interesting.

Don't know how to get a ball "made". Do have a Blk Apricorn I think. Does that Kurt guy do that? 6 percent sounds like we may be chucking them awhile. 23 percent soulds a lot better.

Have absolutely no idea what the "Pokemon clone trick" is. Would really like to know.

Don't have anybody with Ice Beam or Blizzard. Suicune's only in the 50's.

Or anybody with False Swipe. I think Noctowl still has tackle or peck which we'll use when things get close to the end.

Ness
04-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Hmm. Sounds interesting.

Don't know how to get a ball "made". Do have a Blk Apricorn I think. Does that Kurt guy do that? 6 percent sounds like we may be chucking them awhile. 23 percent soulds a lot better.

Have absolutely no idea what the "Pokemon clone trick" is. Would really like to know.

Don't have anybody with Ice Beam or Blizzard. Suicune's only in the 50's.

Or anybody with False Swipe. I think Noctowl still has tackle or peck which we'll use when things get close to the end.

Ok well it isn't 23 percent :oops:. It is the catch rate used in a formula. If you want a link go here (http://upc.pkmn.co.uk/games/gs/guides/catchrate.html) though it might be over your head (forget about it if you don't have a basic knowledge of algebra :razz:).

Cloning Pokemon in GSC is easy: this will help you more than I can (http://glitchcity.info/docs/duplicate).

Don't worry if you don't have a freezing move. It is harder to land but easier to work with a frozen enemy than an asleep enemy. Hypnosis on Haunter will work fine too.

Farfetch'd, Cubone/Marowak, and Scyther/Scizor are the only Pokemon which will learn False Swipe.

And yes that 'Kurt guy' will make you a Heavy Ball. And I just double checked and it IS a BLK Apricorn that you need.

I just want to say that the setup I mentioned is the best way to catch Lugia. You will catch Lugia with the strategy you suggested but it might take longer (might not either since a lot of it is luck).

MagmarMan
04-20-2007, 09:23 PM

The main party is:
Suicune
Snorelax
Kadabra
Haunter

We also must take:

It wont work. Kadabra should evolve and it wont have time to recover when Lugia hits it.
You should train to a higher level and try to have a pokemon that has really high defenses and attacks. Snorlax has terrible defense. A good pokemon would be Tryranitar since he could use rock attacks on lugia and is good against his attacks. Use my advice and best of luck.

P.S. Your pokemon should be around lv. 60.

Venusaur456
04-20-2007, 09:51 PM
It wont work. Kadabra should evolve and it wont have time to recover when Lugia hits it.
You should train to a higher level and try to have a pokemon that has really high defenses and attacks. Snorlax has terrible defense. A good pokemon would be Tryranitar since he could use rock attacks on lugia and is good against his attacks. Use my advice and best of luck.

Exactly that is good advice Magmar Man.

Ness
04-20-2007, 09:53 PM

Snorlax will take any Hydro Pumps without much damage but Aeroblasts will KO it. Opposite can be said about Tyranitar. Dragonite would be a solid tank for this if possible. However I think his team should be fine and will eventually get the job done.

snorelax_himself
04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Interesting but unclear stuff on the capture rates.

Can't tell if the E that is generated is the capture rate itself or if another division by 256 is required.

If I assume 255 base HP for Lugia for ease of calculation and assume that we can get him asleep and down in to the 30 points left range, the value for E looks to be about .38 on a heavy ball. If that is the final catch rate percent of 38% or so, way cool. If, as the page suggests we need to get a random number between 0 and 255 generated under that E value to get a catch, we're in fracking trouble.

It's either a 13 percent chance or basically no chance with an ultra ball depending on if you throw in the extra division.

That formula appears to be MUCH more sensitive to the ball catch rate than the Pokemon's curent hit points.

Not really interested in the clone trick. I think turning electronics off in midcycle like that could damage them. Still like the cartridge too much to be willing risking screwing it up.

We'll have to hope Suicune's Aurora Beam and Icy Wind will be icy enough (maybe his nevermeltice will help.)

Hmm, if we taught Farfetched Flash and he learned False Swipe, we could leave the stupid Noctowl at home.

Gotta go see "that Kurt guy" now.

snorelax_himself
04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
A good pokemon would be Tryranitar since he could use rock attacks on lugia and is good against his attacks.

Yeah, but to get a Tyranitar we would have to catch a Pupitar on Mount Silver and train it all the way up. I might get old by then.

Dragonite would be a solid tank for this if possible.
Got one of those, but he's not real strong.
Extremespeed
Zap Cannon (i'm not always in control here)
Twister
Dragon Breath

The Kadabra has:
Psychic
Psybeam
Recover
Disable

We were thinking Recover would be useful.

Ness
04-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Yeah, but to get a Tyranitar we would have to catch a Pupitar on Mount Silver and train it all the way up. I might get old by then.

Got one of those, but he's not real strong.
Extremespeed
Zap Cannon (i'm not always in control here)
Twister
Dragon Breath

The Kadabra has:
Psychic
Psybeam
Recover
Disable

We were thinking Recover would be useful.

Replace Psybeam with an elemental punch like Fire Punch since you two attacking moves of the same type is redundant. Replace Disable with Thunder Wave if possible and if not teach it Ice/Thunder Punch.

Dragonite with Extremespeed is good (I use it though it isn't the standard). Since you are playing Crystal teach it Ice Beam at the Move Tutor as well as Thunderbolt and Surf. That should be overall a pretty effective Dragonite. Replace Snorlax with this guy.

Blue_Dragon_Mew
04-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Psychic moves SUCK against Psychic types. Lugia is Psychic/Flying so dark/rock/electric moves will help. Parylizing can really help too. It makes him less likely to attack, slower, and easier to catch.

Ness
04-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Psychic moves SUCK against Psychic types. Lugia is Psychic/Flying so dark/rock/electric moves will help. Parylizing can really help too. It makes him less likely to attack, slower, and easier to catch.

You won't want to Paralyze it. You'll want to save the status for Sleep or Freeze as they are also twice as effective as Paralyze when it comes to catching Pokemon.

snorelax_himself
04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Replace Psybeam with an elemental punch like Fire Punch since you two attacking moves of the same type is redundant.
A TM at the department store? We could do that....

Dragonite with Extremespeed is good (I use it though it isn't the standard). Since you are playing Crystal teach it Ice Beam at the Move Tutor as well as Thunderbolt and Surf. That should be overall a pretty effective Dragonite. Replace Snorlax with this guy.
But I think the move tutor only is available after you beat Ash, correct? We want to Lugia to be able to beat Ash in the first place.

snorelax_himself
04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
You'll want to save the status for Sleep or Freeze as they are also twice as effective as Paralyze when it comes to catching Pokemon.
Yeah, and I like them asleep so that can't hurt us anymore. We're tender.

Ness
04-20-2007, 11:10 PM
But I think the move tutor only is available after you beat Ash, correct? We want to Lugia to be able to beat Ash in the first place.

Ahhh ok :oops:. Should have asked if you already beat Red (Ash).

MagmarMan
04-21-2007, 03:45 AM
You probably don't know this Snorlax_Himself but don't double post. Use the edit button.

shinycelebi
04-21-2007, 07:05 AM

OMG!:eek: Are you really going to wait till Lugia has run out of PP,because by that time your team is likely to have been Aeroblasted to death.Fasle Swipe is a good move.I caught Lugia with a Lv38 Feraligatr as my ONLY pokemon,and it(the Lugia) was SHINY!:cool:

snorelax_himself
04-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Lugia is a big pushover.

We taught Kadabra Ice Punch; bought a gazillion revives, lemonades and ultra balls; had Kurt make 2 heavy balls (all the apricorns we had), and went in.

Round 1: Haunter led the way and tried to sleep Lugia. Got blasted out of existence with Gust. Suicune stepped up and offered Surf a couple of times forcing a Recover from Lugia. Some additional exchanges took place, Kadabra went down, a couple of Ultra Balls got chucked, and Suicune overkilled Lugia big. Select-Start-A-B.

Round 2: More of the same. More Pokemon down. Chucked some Ultra Balls and one Heavy Ball, overkilled Lugia and restarted.

Round 3: Some opening exchanges occured and we threw Haunter out. Lugia missed the Hydropump and Haunter was still standing! Haunter laid in the Hypnosis and Lugia was out like a light. Suicune Aurora Beam'ed and Surf'ed. Lugia's still asleep. Dragonite hits him with Twister. He wakes up but doesn't use Recover. Blasts Dragonite and Suicune. Kadabra gets nailed again in there somewhere. Some healing and switching occured and Haunter was standing out there again. Lugia missed again! Haunter slept him. Suicune Aurora Beam'ed. Dragonite Twister'ed. Lugia was DEEP in the red and asleep. We chucked the last Heavy Ball. 1, 2, 3- click. Success!

All 16 badges now, beaten the Elite 4 twice. Lugia's Gust laid waste to a few of those guys.

Currently in training for Ash.

Diamond is out, have it waiting from preorder. Gotta beat Ash so we can go get Diamond. Motivation! Oo-rah!

Ness
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Congratulations! You caught him pretty quick eh? Good job.

Once you beat Red (Ash) head over to the Battle Tower which is west of Olivine City and try your skills there (I'm assuming you have Crystal since you have an Extremespeed Dragonite). The Battle Tower is harder than Red and if you win seven consecutive trainers then you get a pretty good prize (lots of stat enhancers).

snorelax_himself
04-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Congratulations! You caught him pretty quick eh? Good job.

Once you beat Red (Ash) head over to the Battle Tower which is west of Olivine City and try your skills there (I'm assuming you have Crystal since you have an Extremespeed Dragonite). The Battle Tower is harder than Red and if you win seven consecutive trainers then you get a pretty good prize (lots of stat enhancers).

Thank you, thank you. No seriously- the Heavy Balls were just the ticket and we didn't know how to do that. Thanks.

I tried the Battle Tower thing once before. Whatever it was I faced and I don't remember what, OHKO'd everything I took in and eliminated the party in 6 attacks without me getting a single attack off. I haven't been back.