PDA

View Full Version : General question from newb

perplexed_one
04-21-2007, 01:11 AM
1. does anyone know how much one hit of protein raises the attack of a pokemon? iron for defense?

2. does "mean look" work when battling wild legendaries?

3. can I buy an item that cures confusion?

thnx

Ness
04-21-2007, 01:51 AM
1. does anyone know how much one hit of protein raises the attack of a pokemon? iron for defense?

2. does "mean look" work when battling wild legendaries?

3. can I buy an item that cures confusion?

thnx

1) Well there isn't a number I can give you for the amount the stat will raise. It depends on the level of the Pokemon because it doesn't affect stats directly but rather Stat Experience. Numbers I can give you though is this: any Stat Enhancer will raise its respective Stat Exp by 2,550 out of a maximum of 65,535 Stat Exp per stat.

2) Yes it will work.

3) Full Heal will cure Confusion. Bitter Berries and Miracle Berries will also cure Confusion but you cannot buy these.

MustangGT
04-21-2007, 01:53 AM
a protein or something like that will almost always raise the stat 1-3 points

dud3
04-21-2007, 01:57 AM
1) WEll proteins gives you 10EV's in attack so do the math 10(EV's)/4Ev's for 1 stat, so that comes out to like 2-3 per usage.

2) Yes mean look works on everyone.

3) Yes but full heals. Or just plant some of those berries that cure confusion and watch them grow.

Ness
04-21-2007, 02:07 AM
a protein or something like that will almost always raise the stat 1-3 points

Not neccesarily. It all depends on the level. At level 5, 10 stat enhancers taken will ALWAYS render a total improvement of 2 of its respective stat. I have tested this on all the stats of many Pokemon and this is always the case. Does this mean don't take stat enhancers at low levels? No, because the stats you 'enhanced' at lower levels will grow faster and will be just as effective as taking them later on.

1) WEll proteins gives you 10EV's in attack so do the math 10(EV's)/4Ev's for 1 stat, so that comes out to like 2-3 per usage.

This is RBY/GSC. There are no such things as EVs in this game. Stat Enhancers improve Stat Experience in RBY/GSC.

dud3
04-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Not neccesarily. It all depends on the level. At level 5, 10 stat enhancers taken will ALWAYS render a total improvement of 2 of its respective stat. I have tested this on all the stats of many Pokemon and this is always the case. Does this mean don't take stat enhancers at low levels? No, because the stats you 'enhanced' at lower levels will grow faster and will be just as effective as taking them later on.

This is RBY/GSC. There are no such things as EVs in this game. Stat Enhancers improve Stat Experience in RBY/GSC.

Oh my bad I didnt see that but there are EV's in SIlver and gold i think.

Ness
04-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Oh my bad I didnt see that but there are EV's in SIlver and gold i think.

Sorry you are mistaken :oops:. I am 100% certain that EVs are NOT in RBY/GSC.

shinycelebi
04-21-2007, 06:32 AM
1)Or just plant some of those berries that cure confusion and watch them grow.
Plant berries?Excuse me this is for R/B/Y and G/S/C.I agree with ness about the Iron/Protein one,and mean look works on everyone.

perplexed_one
04-28-2007, 01:40 PM
thnx for the answers guys.

---

ah another question:

up to what level of pokemon does repel protect against? is repel a good strategy when hunting for legendaries?

do legendaries stay in one spot, let's during the night?

Ness
04-28-2007, 10:20 PM
thnx for the answers guys.

---

ah another question:

up to what level of pokemon does repel protect against? is repel a good strategy when hunting for legendaries?

do legendaries stay in one spot, let's during the night?

Repel keeps away Pokemon that are lower in level than the top Pokemon in your list. I've heard that using repel is a good strategy to find legendaries though I've never used this strategy.

Legendaries like Raikou and Entei keep moving regardless of time.

perplexed_one
05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
ok i look at the base stats for one of the dogs: raikou

speed 115.

what exact lvl does base represent?

bcuz one time i used a 26 lvl scyther to do battle with raikou (lvl 40), and my scyther managed to get the first turn, why is that? was it fluke?

second, you the power-up "quick claw," what are percentile for my pokemon having the first turn?

are these power-up hold items even worth the time?

where can I get info on website for all power-up, hold items and their details?

thnx once again guys :smile:

Ness
05-04-2007, 07:06 PM
ok i look at the base stats for one of the dogs: raikou

speed 115.

what exact lvl does base represent?

bcuz one time i used a 26 lvl scyther to do battle with raikou (lvl 40), and my scyther managed to get the first turn, why is that? was it fluke?

second, you the power-up "quick claw," what are percentile for my pokemon having the first turn?

are these power-up hold items even worth the time?

where can I get info on website for all power-up, hold items and their details?

thnx once again guys :smile:

Thats a lot of questions :tongue::

-Base Stats actually represent the Stat Exp you get from battling a Pokemon but I use them to judge how good a pokemon is in a certain stat. My general guideline is 80 is above average but not especially good. Look for base stats > 80 where the stats matter the most on a certain Pokemon (eg. Speed and [Special] Attack for sweepers; Defences and HP for Tanks).

-Quick Claw increases the first-attack chance by about 25% (60 in 255 chance).

-Don't waste your time on Power-Up items (eg. Pink Bow or Twisted Spoon). Use something else instead.

-Here (http://upc.pkmn.co.uk/games/gs/guides/holditems.html) is a list and description of Hold Items.

perplexed_one
05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
-Base Stats actually represent the Stat Exp you get from battling a Pokemon but I use them to judge how good a pokemon is in a certain stat. My general guideline is 80 is above average but not especially good. Look for base stats > 80 where the stats matter the most on a certain Pokemon (eg. Speed and [Special] Attack for sweepers; Defences and HP for Tanks).

thnx for the info, ness.

um so in your opinion, how many points of speed do I need to outspeed an lvl 40 wild Raikou, or any of those dogs. (my current haunter has 66 speed)

Ness
05-04-2007, 09:33 PM
thnx for the info, ness.

um so in your opinion, how many points of speed do I need to outspeed an lvl 40 wild Raikou, or any of those dogs. (my current haunter has 66 speed)

You need between 98 and 110 Speed to outrun a wild Raikou at level 40 depending on it's Speed DV.

EDIT: Didn't see you mentioned the other dogs :oops:.

Anyways its between 86 and 98 for Entei and between 74 and 86 for Suicune.

Ravenn
05-05-2007, 03:31 AM
I don't know if mean look works, it should. Um full heal will take care of confusion and then protien raises the attack by 1 point same goes for the rest of them I think.

Ness
05-05-2007, 10:40 PM
and then protien raises the attack by 1 point same goes for the rest of them I think.

Nope not exactly. What I said in the second post is 100% correct. Effectively they are almost the same but it's a little more mechanical than what you said.

perplexed_one
05-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Another question is

is safeguard transferable when you switch another pokemon?

Ness
05-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Another question is

is safeguard transferable when you switch another pokemon?

Yes it is. It works the same way Reflect and Light Screen do.

perplexed_one
05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
thnx again Ness, youre the expert :happy:

um in what conditions does that lady at the 5th floor of the supermarket building at Goldenrod, give you a new TM?

bcuz sometimes I get a new one, most times I dont.

Ness
05-06-2007, 10:00 PM
thnx again Ness, youre the expert :happy:

um in what conditions does that lady at the 5th floor of the supermarket building at Goldenrod, give you a new TM?

bcuz sometimes I get a new one, most times I dont.

-She'll only appear on Sundays
-She will give you either Return or Frustration depending on the Pokemon in the first slot's happiness

To determine happiness go to the lady in a small house in Goldenrod near the Bike Shop and she will rate your Pokemon in the first slot. If she says the following you will get Return:
"It's friendly towards you. It looks sort of happy."
"I get the feeling that it really trusts you."
or "It looks really happy! It must love you a lot."

The following results will get you Frustration:
"It doesn't seem to like you at all. It looks mean."

perplexed_one
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
is it just me or do some pokemon get confused when you hit them. it seems pretty random. this happened to me when battling nidoking.

Ness
05-08-2007, 09:43 PM
is it just me or do some pokemon get confused when you hit them. it seems pretty random. this happened to me when battling nidoking.

It depends what moves you attack them with. Some moves have a chance to confuse your oppenent like Dizzy Punch or Psybeam.

perplexed_one
05-10-2007, 12:37 AM
ok question for amulet coin. will i still get double the payout, if i switched out my first pokemon (which held amulet coin) and defeated the opponent with another? or do I have to end with the amulet coin pokemon when I defeat the opponent?

does amulet coin guarantee double the payout?

MagmarMan
05-10-2007, 01:07 AM
ok question for amulet coin. will i still get double the payout, if i switched out my first pokemon (which held amulet coin) and defeated the opponent with another? or do I have to end with the amulet coin pokemon when I defeat the opponent?

does amulet coin guarantee double the payout?

If the amulet coin is in at any time, you get double the money. No matter what.

MustangGT
05-10-2007, 01:11 AM
perplexed_one, you are a question asking machine, i wish i could answer some, ness beats me to all of them so i dont bother posting. that and im nto on this board often

perplexed_one
06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
1. Why is that some pokemon you capture have moves that are supposed to be learnt in higher levels? e.g. I captured a phanpy at lvl 15 and it has endure and according to Bulbapedia, generation 2 phanpy learn endure at lvl 41.

2. Would it be worth it to evolve phanpy? bcuz phanpy in its higher lvls learns some good moves but Donphan learns some pretty good moves as well, albeit different ones.

uxie
06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I can't answer question 1, except for an opinion that maybe the move schedule only applies to captured Pokemon.

In answer to question 2, I would keep it from evolving until it has learned all the moves you want it to as Phanphy, then evolve it. The increased stats are worth it.

perplexed_one
06-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I can't answer question 1, except for an opinion that maybe the move schedule only applies to captured Pokemon.

In answer to question 2, I would keep it from evolving until it has learned all the moves you want it to as Phanphy, then evolve it. The increased stats are worth it.

ok say for my phanpy i dont evolve it, and i retain its form until lvl 41 where it finally learns double edge. if i evolve it then, can the resulting Donphan learn moves that it was supposed to have learned at lower levels? ie (fury attack lvl 25)

Spinner
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Nah, it doesn't. If you've passed the level where Donphan would originally have learnt the move, then it won't learn it later on.:neutral: It doesn't really matter though, because the only move that Donphan learns that is really good is Earthquake, which I think you'll be able to get.:smile:

perplexed_one
06-10-2007, 11:29 PM
situation: hoppip @ 25 currently, he skipped evolution (into skiploom), and at 27 looms another evolution. my question is if i skip both evolutions altogether at 27, will i be allowed to evolve my hoppip later on (twice of course)?

MagmarMan
06-11-2007, 12:24 AM
situation: hoppip @ 25 currently, he skipped evolution (into skiploom), and at 27 looms another evolution. my question is if i skip both evolutions altogether at 27, will i be allowed to evolve my hoppip later on (twice of course)?

Yes, the pokemon will try to evolve after every level unless it's holding a everstone.

perplexed_one
07-01-2007, 12:50 PM
-did the ultra ball change at all in effectiveness from gen 1 to gen 2?

-a fast ball (4x) is better than a ultra ball (2x) in catching legendaries bcuz they run from battle? (got my info from Bulbapedia)

-what is a good counter to "Roar"? bcuz it seems that when i use mean look on a legendary it just roars out.

-Is there TM that teaches sleep?

THNX a bunch for your answers

airjordanxvii
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
just use berries for the confusion. i don't know if mean look works, and there is no solid number for the protein, just check after you give it to the pokemon.