PDA

View Full Version : Wii Emulation- Is it Possible?

Charbok
05-12-2007, 04:59 PM
The Nintendo Wii is an incredibly revolutionary system with its movement sensing, virtual console downloads, etc. But would it be possible to run this system on a computer?
I was googling around to figure out how it might work. So far, no good. So the question is: Would it be possible to run an emulator for the Nintendo Wii on a Personal Computer?

Hoshika
05-12-2007, 05:01 PM
The Nintendo Wii is an incredibly revolutionary system with its movement sensing, virtual console downloads, etc. But would it be possible to run this system on a computer?
I was googling around to figure out how it might work. So far, no good. So the question is: Would it be possible to run an emulator for the Nintendo Wii on a Personal Computer?

no becuz da wii iz 2 1337 for pc lolololol

Well, there would have to be some gyro-thingies in the mouse or whatever controller you're using... so I guess no. Movement COULD be reprogrammed to be under keyboard control (as in press A to rotate controller clockwise), but that'll get really hard for games like Sonic and the Secret Rings.

And the Wii is 1337ness. XD

sonickid01
05-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Doubt it. Maybe if you use the mouse you can control the remote, but it's unlikely. Don't count on it.

It would be EXTREMELY difficult to emmulate and/or use both the nunchuck and the wiimote. That with the button pressing... XP

Yggdrasill
05-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Why would you want to emulate it though? *Imagines how rubbish the Wii-Remote sensory would be on a PC.*

Kenny_C.002
05-12-2007, 05:29 PM
They have dfficulty in emulating the PS2, let alone the Wii. So no.

Zavelin
05-12-2007, 05:38 PM
FPS would be interesting...

If only Nintendo and Microsoft would kiss and make-up, then we could see Halo on the Wii. <3

Crossfire Chaos
05-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Uh actualy. The remote need not be ported to the PC because if I recall correctly it runs of bluetooth.

So what I'm saying is that in a recent PopSci they did an article in their How2.0 and showed how to make you Wiimote replace your mouse. You need a usb drive for the bluetooth adapter and some free online software?

Either way all you would have to do is emulate the computer so it can run the games. That will be a problem though, considering that like Kenny Said, the PS2 and Gamecube have not been ported well as of yet.

Oh, and don't even hope of making a ROM for the games.

Lucavi
05-12-2007, 08:00 PM
it's entirely possible. The problem lies in the speed issues.

Register hacking allows NGC emulation to go at 20-24 fps, so considering the wii is on a higher level, you can expect about 10-15 fps with the current pc's. The problem with the wii is that it uses additional features the NGC lacks, like quadruple Alpha blending, which means older plugins will have to be completely re-written. The wii-mote has been already done, you can check here (http://wiihacks.blogspot.com/2006/12/howto-use-wii-mote-in-windows-as-your.html)

Oh, and don't even hope of making a ROM for the games.

Uhh, that's easily done

Charbok
05-13-2007, 12:17 AM
it's entirely possible. The problem lies in the speed issues.

Register hacking allows NGC emulation to go at 20-24 fps, so considering the wii is on a higher level, you can expect about 10-15 fps with the current pc's. The problem with the wii is that it uses additional features the NGC lacks, like quadruple Alpha blending, which means older plugins will have to be completely re-written. The wii-mote has been already done, you can check here (http://wiihacks.blogspot.com/2006/12/howto-use-wii-mote-in-windows-as-your.html)

Actually I heard that the main problem lies in the motion sensetivity of it.
http://wiiemulator.net/
They say that you would just need a really nice graphics card and sound card.

Lucavi
05-13-2007, 03:05 AM
Actually I heard that the main problem lies in the motion sensetivity of it.
http://wiiemulator.net/
They say that you would just need a really nice graphics card and sound card.

better motion sensitivity is easy to achieve, as it just requires a little adjustement in the motor algorithm. A better graphics card is a bit obvious, and it was a known issue even for NGC emulation

Alakazam
05-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Would be possible? Absolutely. Remember, all a video game console is is a specialized PC.

However, there are many challenges, as others have talked about, in getting this to work, so don't expect it anytime soon. Hell, we don't even have a fully-functional DS emulator yet (which isn't to say that a DS Emulator is easy to build - I have great respect for the people who put in the hard for to build emulators).

Crossfire Chaos
05-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Uhh, that's easily done

They cannot be played from a hard drive is what I was getting at.
You need a 8+ gigabyte cd to download the rom to in order to play it.

Kenny_C.002
05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
ATM all of the wii games are below the size of a single DVD disk. That's below 4.5GB of space.

Hypocrisy is Fun
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
It can be easily done. You can already use your wiimote as a mouse on the PC and Mac systems, why not play the games? Sure, it would take one hell of a computer, but it's not that hard.

Lucavi
05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, for 100% perfect emulation (That is, without hacking any registry), you'd need a 7.2 GHz PC. Yea, that's not going to happen very soon. However, in a few years, you can expect a reliable Wii emulator (Running at 10-15 fps, i assume, with good compatibility)

Hell, we don't even have a fully-functional DS emulator yet (which isn't to say that a DS Emulator is easy to build - I have great respect for the people who put in the hard for to build emulators).

The DS can't really be compared to any other console (Not even the N64), because it's the first one to use 2 CPU's. DS Emulation is harder to code than NGC, for instance, albeit (much)easier to handle for the actual PCs