PDA

View Full Version : Chimchar over GTS

Light Manaphy
05-20-2007, 08:38 PM
yesterday, I put up a cloned Groudon and I wanted a Chimchar. I got the Chimchar and it's name was in japanese. Of course, being able to read japanese I read it and I saw that it was it's japanese name: Hikozaru. The OT was someone in japan. I can't put up the hiragana characters for the person's name, but I read the japanese text and their name was "Hina".

anyways, on with what is really happening with me. I evolve Chimchar (it's name was in japanese text) and when it evolved, it's name turned into english letters from japanese characters spelling out Hikozaru to english letters spelling out Monferno.

This made me wonder, "When you evolve a pokemon with their name in a foreign language in a game that doesn't match the game it came from, does it's name change?". I've never had this experience, but one thing's for sure, it's pretty weird.

At least I have all the starters now ^_^

Erureido
05-20-2007, 08:41 PM
same happened to me, i've got a japanese turtwig named naetoru (in katakana) and i evolve it (hoping it will still have japanese characters) and surprise it was a Grotle

SonicZeroX
05-20-2007, 08:41 PM
If the pokemon is not nicknamed, and they are evolved on a different language game, thier name changes to that language. I've had it done on my Porygon Z.

Light Manaphy
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
same happened to me, i've got a japanese turtwig named naetoru (in katakana) and i evolve it (hoping it will still have japanese characters) and surprise it was a Grotle

I've seen people with japanese Mudkips in their Sapphire version and it evolved into a japanese Marshtomp. Maybe it's the foreign language thing that's now in the game that matches the pokemon's name to the language of the game it's in.

Jammin360
05-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Does anyone want to battle? The Friend Code Listing threads are too inactive to post, so I hope you don't mind if I ask here. Below is my information:

Owen
1504 2226 8394

I don't really use Legendary Pokemon. If you register me, let me know so I can register you, too. Thanks in advance.:biggrin:

Larvinator
05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Does anyone want to battle? The Friend Code Listing threads are too inactive to post, so I hope you don't mind if I ask here. Below is my information:

Owen
1504 2226 8394

I don't really use Legendary Pokemon. If you register me, let me know so I can register you, too. Thanks in advance.:biggrin:
Sigh...just use the stickied "Challenge Finder" thread. It's plenty active; no need to go off topic.

Anyway, I've never had that happen to me, but it sounds pretty cool. Japanese Larvitar...keheh. Sweet. =D

pika2000
05-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I wondered about that too, I kinda wish the Pokémon would keep their foreign name.
I've got the Japanese Diamond and all my English named Pokémon got their Japanese names after evolution.

Pichufan4
05-20-2007, 09:18 PM
i have not seen/done that b4... but i hope to try.

but i was wondering... remeber that guy that upgrade ur pokedex to identify foregin pokemon in the pokedex... would that affect wht yall are talking about?

Meiun
05-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it kinda stinks when this happens. I wish you could nickname the not nicknamed pokemon.
You can read japanese? Cool =o I wish I could. I'm dying to know what this bagon I traded for is named. It has a smilie face in its name XD;

Light Manaphy
05-21-2007, 01:24 AM
remeber that guy that upgrade ur pokedex to identify foregin pokemon in the pokedex... would that affect wht yall are talking about?

I was talking about that in this quote:

I've seen people with japanese Mudkips in their Sapphire version and it evolved into a japanese Marshtomp. Maybe it's the foreign language thing that's now in the game that matches the pokemon's name to the language of the game it's in.

and it was a Chimchar, so it can't get a foreign dex entry. Unless it's a special pokemon, it can't. But you may be right.

Ninja_killer
05-21-2007, 01:30 AM
Yeah, it kinda stinks when this happens. I wish you could nickname the not nicknamed pokemon.
You can read japanese? Cool =o I wish I could. I'm dying to know what this bagon I traded for is named. It has a smilie face in its name XD;
i got a male kirlia with a japanese name, and it evolved into an English Gallade