PDA

View Full Version : Useful things to know, that you might not...

GuardianOfThunder
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I'd like you guys to help me make a list of things that is possibly less widely known about the Pokemon games... typically small, but sometimes important, things. They may also seem more known, but to newer players some things aren't stated like they used to be(like rain + Thunder = 100% accuracy). They also may be found in the instruction manual, somewhere, but for a lot of us who didn't really even read that, we may not know :P Or they could be something that's not stated at all in the game or in the instruction book. If you don't get what I'm saying, please read on to see what I mean, and anything you feel that may deserve to go on this list post please. I plan for this to be a guide of sorts, it's meant for Diamond and Pearl, but if it's in the wrong section or incorrectly posted, sorry.

Button Mashers
1.You can select multiple Pokemon in your boxes at once. Press the Y button to turn the cursor yellow, it will then go into 'moving mode', you can then hold A down to select multiple Pokemon at once.
2.The X button is used to turn off voice chat before Wi-fi battles and trades.
3.The game does have a soft reset, press Start, Select, R, and L.

Game Mechanics
1.The status effect Burn not only damages a Pokemon each turn, but also halves the inflicted Pokemon's attack. However, keep in mind fire types can't be afflicted with burn.
2.Paralyze cuts the afflicted Pokemon's speed by a whopping 75%.
3.When Sunny Day is in effect Pokemon can not be frozen.
4.If a Pokemon uses a move that is the same type as it then the Power is multiplied by 1.5 . This is referred to as Same Type Attack Bonus, or STAB.
5.Pokemon that evolve Via Trade will evolve via GTS trade as well.

Move-pool Oddities
1.Earthquake and Magnitude can hit Pokemon underground(that have used dig), and will deal extra damage. Fissure also can strike Pokemon underground.
2.Twister, Sky Uppercut, Thunder, and Gust will hit Pokemon in the air(that have used bounce or fly), and twister deals extra damage because of this.
3.When Rain Dance is in effect, the move Thunder has 100% accuracy.
4.When Sunny Day is in effect, Solarbeam doesn't have to charge for a turn.
5.If you use Defense Curl before Rollout or Ice Ball, the later moves power is doubled.
6.When Hail is in effect, the move Blizzard has 100% accuracy.

Questionables

silverinesuicune
05-22-2007, 12:17 PM
2.Twister, Sky Uppercut, and Swift will hit Pokemon in the air(that have used bounce or fly), and twister deals extra damage because of this.

You forgot about Gust. ;P
You can make an Ultra Ball have a higher catch percentage if you press B and hold B right when it opens, then also press A every time it rolls to the side.

Suizou-Sama
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
When Hail is in effect, Blizzard's Accuracy is 100%.

Mysticjason
05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
So a Pokemon cannot be fronzen when it's sunny... Makes perfect sense yet I never thought about that. :P

Phantasm.Angel
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Can a pokemon be burned while it is raining?

jushiness
05-22-2007, 12:59 PM
So a Pokemon cannot be fronzen when it's sunny... Makes perfect sense yet I never thought about that. :P

off topic but... you lucky son of a! >< i want a shiny metegross...

turbo
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Way to off topic perhaps. I was wondering about burn in rain.

Eeveedude
05-22-2007, 01:17 PM
whats soft reset ? >(does the ? count as a word?)

Mileron
05-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Where you "reset" the DS without needing to use the Power button.

Raistlin Majere
05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Soft reset returns you to the game's title screen w/o saving.

Useful for catching a good natured Legend.

eptesicus
05-22-2007, 04:24 PM
2.Twister, Sky Uppercut, and Swift will hit Pokemon in the air(that have used bounce or fly), and twister deals extra damage because of this.

Blizzard works too, I've done it before.

GuardianOfThunder
05-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Added the Questionables section, all help is appreciated guys :)

Eeveedude
05-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Soft reset returns you to the game's title screen w/o saving.

Useful for catching a good natured Legend.

To bad my L and R buttons dont work....:oops:

Lucavi
05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Uhh, ok, some things are wrong here:

1- Burn halves attack. It's not a regular stat fall

2- Paralysis never made the pokemon go always last. Paralysis quarters speed. If you're still faster after the para, then you go first.

3- Swift does not hit Flying pokemon, except in RBY (Neither does Blizzard, and Gust does regular damage when hitting a pokemon using Fly)

4- A pokemon CAN be burned with Rain dance

5- Fissure also hits digging pokemon

Skyler Kuhn
05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
thanks for all the usefull info!

Beech Daly
05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh, and to note, Thunder also hits Flying Pokemon.

Rizadon
05-22-2007, 06:13 PM
whos job was it to fugure this out?

Suicune the Swift
05-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Pokemon moves do more damge if they are the same as the user's type.

If a pokemon's attack or special attack is considerably higher than the other, use attacks of that same type to do considerably more damage.

TMs can teach Pokemon moves that you wouldn't expect them to, like Kyogre learning thunderbolt. :eek:

For two on two battles, use a flying type and a pokemon that can use earthquake. You can also use a pokemon that can absorb water attacks for HP, like Mantine, and use surf.
These will allow you to attack your opponents and save your own Pokemon.

CMEW
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Questionables
Can someone confirm these?
1.Blizzard and Gust can damage a pokemon using fly.(double damage)
2.A Pokemon can not be burned in the rain.

blizzard cant hit a pokemon using fly

Mr M
05-23-2007, 12:33 AM
And your pokemon can still be burned during a rainy weather. Unless you've got a fire type pokemon.

GuardianOfThunder
05-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks for all the info guys, thread updated.

Erureido
05-23-2007, 12:49 AM
something else, to disable the voice chat in the wi-fi room u press "x" not "y"

MagmarMan
05-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Kinda weird but an Electric type can be paralyzed (lower chance though).

StarStruck
05-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Air cutter also hits Pokemon that are in the sky(I believe). . . I think it happened when I fight Team Galactic's Golbats.

Lucavi
05-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Kinda weird but an Electric type can be paralyzed (lower chance though).

Not true. It has normal chance of getting para'd

Air cutter also hits Pokemon that are in the sky(I believe)

Not true either

GuardianOfThunder
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info. I do wish more things worked as complicated as some things though, it makes things better as long as it's not over the top, heh.

DeathsDoor
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
cool , didnt know 3/4 of that stuff :S

GuardianOfThunder
05-24-2007, 08:53 AM
cool , didnt know 3/4 of that stuff :S

That's exactly what it's for, thanks very much for posting and telling me this thread has been usefull ^_^

Claona
05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Mudkip is pure water, not water/ground, so it can be hit by electric attacks.

Although electric moves are resisted by rock types, rock attacks arn't super effective on electric types.

Shedinja's ability, Wonder Gaurd cannot be Skill Swapped.

Erureido
05-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Mudkip is pure water, not water/ground, so it can be hit by electric attacks.

Although electric moves are resisted by rock types, rock attacks arn't super effective on electric types.

Shedinja's ability, Wonder Gaurd cannot be Skill Swapped.
rock types aren't resistant to electric

MagmarMan
05-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Not true. It has normal chance of getting para'd

I thought that I had read that Electabuzz had a lower chance to be paralyzed back in G/S/C. Either I'm wrong or they changed the games:tongue: .

Cybernetic Ghost
05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
You can make an Ultra Ball have a higher catch percentage if you press B and hold B right when it opens, then also press A every time it rolls to the side.

Those "increase your chance of catching" tricks are NEVER true.

Stop saying that <.<. Electric attacks are NOT resisted by rocks. I repeat, Electric attacks, do normal damage vs rock pokemon.

TMs can teach Pokemon moves that you wouldn't expect them to, like Kyogre learning thunderbolt.

The best thing is giving Kyogre Thunder, since Thunder has 100% accuracy during a Rain Dance, and Kyogre causes one.

Oh, and this is sort of basic, but fire types cant be burned.

pernumba
05-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I always hold B down when i go to catch a pokemon ive been doing it my whole life and i think it makes it easier

MustangGT
05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
thats all in ur head...and mine too. i do it and i always feel like ive done something when it works and when it doesnt im like "dangit, pressed the button down at the wrong time!"

GuardianOfThunder
05-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Added the second part to burn, thanks all ^_^

frondew
05-26-2007, 01:55 AM
im not 100% about this so it should be tested first but...

i think that if u put a pokemon that evolves from tradin like alakazam in the GTS then take out and they evolve

GuardianOfThunder
05-26-2007, 02:25 AM
im not 100% about this so it should be tested first but...

i think that if u put a pokemon that evolves from tradin like alakazam in the GTS then take out and they evolve

Truth, it works, I've done it :P

frondew
05-26-2007, 03:07 AM
so u hold down X when b4 battles??

GuardianOfThunder
05-31-2007, 12:12 AM
so u hold down X when b4 battles??

You press X and it will say Voice Chat turned off.

On The Edge
05-31-2007, 12:28 AM
And all these time I've been moving my pokes one by one in the boxes...>_>; Thanks.

-PK
06-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Wow. I didn't know some of those. Thanks.

WifiFX
06-03-2007, 02:41 AM
Wow. I didn't know some of those. Thanks.

The question is, WHY did we need to know those?

-PK
06-03-2007, 02:46 AM

The answer is, so when we are in an important wi-fi/in-game battle you can have a good strategy.

GuardianOfThunder
06-26-2007, 05:00 AM

Some save time, other build strategy, a lot of them are very useful. Useful = why :P

troacctid
06-26-2007, 05:07 AM
2.Paralyze cuts the afflicted Pokemon's speed by 25%.

This is untrue. It cuts the afflicted Pokémon's speed to 25%--or in other words, by 75%. Important distinction.

Also, steel and poison types can't be poisoned. Although I think I heard that Secret Power can poison steel types sometimes.

rebelde33
06-26-2007, 05:54 AM
Cool now I know how to move multiple pokemon from one box to the other. It took so long doing it one by one. XD

Flan
06-26-2007, 05:59 AM
Hm.. I knew about 3/4 of everything posted on here. 0:

troacctid
06-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Oh, here's something. You can polish your gym badges. Pull them up on the touch screen on your trainer card and rub on them. They'll get shinier each time you do it. Also, you can use them to play music. When you tap them, they make a dinging noise. Each one makes a different sound, from a low C to a high C.