PDA

View Full Version : Yu-gi-oh name "extensions"

Alakazam
09-29-2004, 11:44 AM
I just bought Yu-gi-oh boxset Part 8 off of ebay...yes, original, uncut subbed episodes (13 of them on 3 DVDs), and I found a few things odd.

Alright, isn't "-kun" after a name supposed to be a term of endearment, like between boyfriend-girlfriend, husband-wife, etc.? Yugi refers to Joey as "Joey-kun" O_o

Also, I find it interesting that Mokuba refers to his brother Seto as "Onii-sama" (onii is the Japanese word for brother. Usually, one refers to one's brother as "Onii-chan" (like Leena does all through .hack//DUSK) I guess they really want to drive the point home that Mokuba really depends on Seto...

Jet
09-29-2004, 01:33 PM
OR, maybe Yugi and Joey are just REALLY best friends =P... that's how I think of it... hearing other animés with -kun "term"... and some of the characters that use kun use them on their "enemies" =P (example: Get Backers: Akabane calls Ginji "Ginji-kun") (example 2 (not enemies): Dr. Dokkiri: The vice principal, a male, calls the doc with kun... o_O) so... maybe kun is for friendship also.

And... isn't -sama more on royalty or something? o_O

Alakazam
09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
On "-kun": I figure that this has a second usage which used between the strongest of friends (no innuendo intended). Also, like you said, some rivalries are construed to close relationships as well.

On "-sama": Yes, historically, the ONLY people who would EVER be referred to with "-sama" would be shoguns and emperors. You would NEVER refer to parents or teachers with "-sama". I don't think that "-sama" is ever really used in modren Japanese culture... IMO, "-sama" is utilized in animé to denote supreme devotion. Even though it is used in most animé, it is rarely used within each series. For example, most major villains in animé are referred to with "-sama" by their minions, depicting that the major villain is the most important figure in the minion's life.

There are countless examples of this in animé, so I'll just list a few:

-[Yu-gi-oh: Season 5] The Three Musketeers (Raphael, Varon, and Amelda) call their leader, 'Dartz-sama"

-[Sailor Moon Sailorstars] The Sailor Anima-mates called Queen Galaxia "Galaxia-sama"

-[Dragonball] Agents Chu and Mai refer to Pilaf as "Pilaf-sama"

Unfortunatley, "-sama" doesn't translate very well, and is usually translated as "Lord" or "Lady" before the name, which doesn't really convey the message of greatness as "-sama" does, in my opinion.

I'm always interested in such cultural things...and I'm also a linguistics freak. :P