PDA

View Full Version : The Debates

Lord Celebi
10-01-2004, 03:39 AM
This is the Official Topic for the Debate of Sept. 30, the other 2 Presidential Debates, and the Vice President Debate. No other topics may be made for the debates.

I'm sure many of you saw tonight's debate between Kerry and Bush. What were your opinons? It wasnt much new, as most of everything in the debate has been said before one way or another.

PokemonMaster-Chris
10-01-2004, 03:46 AM
Senator Kerry showed his flip flops once again while George Bush kept steady and strong with no flip flops.

Ace
10-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Yeah, it got a little repetative at the debate, but there was two major things during the first debate that both canidates couldve been hurt from:

Bush: Paused TWICE during the debate. Pausing is BAD during debates. Lucky for him it wasn't any longer than 7-10 seconds.

Kerry: Well...he did get a little repetative himself, talking at two points about Bush's failure to capture bin Ladden when he had the opportunity. In order to 'win' a debate, I think you would need to point out many failures instead of one. Also Kerry got a little too hopeful at points when talking about 'global treaties' such as a global warming treaty, ect. It would be hard to get the WHOLE world's support like that. :ermm:

If I could make a decision now...well...I'm not really sure. Bush needs to be a little more faster at decision making and Kerry needs to exploit many mistakes of Bush than the few that he stated. :ermm:

So far, I would stick with Bush, Kerry's hopes for future worldwide reform just seems a little unreal for now. I'm not really sure though. Everything just seems foggy after this debate.

Alakazam
10-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Well, both deviated from the questions, both were rather redundant, but that was to be expected.

I think Kerry defended himself well, and decisively explained his plans and policies to the American people.

Bush looked angry during the debate, and mostly just regurgitated what he's been saying all along. He came across as strong, as always, but a bit misguided.

An ABC poll (the people polled were balanced between parties) says that Kerry won by a large amount (more than 15%)

Lord Celebi
10-01-2004, 04:17 AM
Good Point Duke, Bush did pause a lot. I think though that his long pause after the moderator asked him what his 'miscalculation' was, was a time period of him making up a lie. If you know the truth, you dont take 10-15 seconds to say it.

ElimN8
10-01-2004, 04:31 AM
Officialdom granted.

http://elimn8.4lifenet.net/stickyd.jpg

In my opinion, Kerry went over very strongly. He clearly stated his intentions for reformation and defended himself well, giving supporting evidence to Bush's fallacies during his term.

His opponent, however, I can not say the same for. Throughout the debate, he made continuous slip-ups, most of which were simple word confusions, along with non-responsive pauses. He ventured off-topic moreso than Kerry I'd say; often times I myself was confused as to what exactly he was talking about, or how it had any relation to the topic being presented. I also found that a lot of his statements were simply untrue, though I found him to be sincere in what he was saying.

All in all, I would definitely vote Kerry, not because of any group affiliation but merely because he has distinct plans, and although his aspirations may be high on some of the other subjects (Duke), he has the right attitude, and I think he would be an invaluable president of the United States.

Jack of Clovers
10-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Bush- paused often, broke one of the rules (talking to the other candidate), started a rebuttle w/o Jim's approval at first and went over the time limit once or twice. i also disagreed with things he said
Kerry- kept saying how much Bush is wrong and was inconsistant with his own choices, no pauses... relaxed but boring.

Kerry did look a lot stronger up there than Bush did. how much affect does it have on who wins? who knows. i think my parents are voting Bush just so he can srew up the country even more. heh :susp:

~Jack~

Lord Celebi
10-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Thank you E8.

I agree with both Lep and E8, Kerry did defend himself well, though He didnt say when Bush said "Help is on the way, Why would you send Help to a wrong war, wrong place, wrong time?" Kerry shoulda said: "Because, you started this war, and destroyed some things, so I have to fix it."

Matthew
10-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Heh... for those of you who are saying that Bush did poorly up there, look at it this way:

Kerry has always been debating... he was on the High School Debate team, as well as in College. Bush, however, has always disliked speaking in debates... as his father was. I thought that Bush was rather relaxed... I noticed a few times that Kerry's hands were shaking. I would vote for bush if I were 18... gah... I miss teh supid election by like 3 months... pfft.

Lord Celebi
10-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Heh... for those of you who are saying that Bush did poorly up there, look at it this way:

Kerry has always been debating... he was on the High School Debate team, as well as in College. Bush, however, has always disliked speaking in debates... as his father was. I thought that Bush was rather relaxed... I noticed a few times that Kerry's hands were shaking. I would vote for bush if I were 18... gah... I miss teh supid election by like 3 months... pfft.
That's because Kerry was nervous. He was speaking to 55 MILLION PEOPLE for the first time. Bush has done it many times, as he's president, so he was relaxed and used to it.

Good thing you're not 18, LOL.

Alakazam
10-02-2004, 12:03 AM

I hesitantly agree, no offense. We need Bush out of office; I don't think this country will be able to stand four more years of him at the helm. *shudders*

Matthew
10-02-2004, 12:35 AM
That's because Kerry was nervous. He was speaking to 55 MILLION PEOPLE for the first time. Bush has done it many times, as he's president, so he was relaxed and used to it.

:susp:

None taken...

Heh... Meh... I actually wouldn't vote for either of the candidates, actually now that I think about it... but because I'm Republican... I say I'd vote for bush... I'm actually undecieded... I don't like either of the candidates, personally. XD Meh... this post is somewhat confusing, but meh... w/e.

Alakazam
10-02-2004, 12:54 AM
:susp:

None taken...

Heh... Meh... I actually wouldn't vote for either of the candidates, actually now that I think about it... but because I'm Republican... I say I'd vote for bush... I'm actually undecieded... I don't like either of the candidates, personally. XD Meh... this post is somewhat confusing, but meh... w/e.

The only reason I concurred was because I honestly think that Bush will go to war again, and even mroe lives will be lost pointlessly.

JohtoTrainer
10-03-2004, 12:13 AM
If Kerry is elected he will be the most girlie-man president of all time, even worse then Carter. Kerry is always saying how he'll do better but let's see how he does when we're attacked in the first nine months of presidency if he's elected, which I'm sure will happen, since he's such a flip flopper and is trying to please the whole world, we'll be such an easy target.

Lord Celebi
10-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Jsut to revive I guess (Its pinned though LOL). Tonight's the VP debate. I'll either edit or post my comments after the debate.

Alakazam
10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I'm psyched to see Cheyney VS Edwards; that's going to be one extreme battle, IMO. I too will post my comment later or tomorrow on it.

Matthew
10-06-2004, 01:05 AM
I want to watch it... but I doubt I'll be able to catch it... I gotta help my dumb butt sister with her homework... but myu mom is paying me 6$ to do so... so it is a win/lose situation XD

Lord Celebi
10-06-2004, 02:38 AM
I want to watch it... but I doubt I'll be able to catch it... I gotta help my dumb butt sister with her homework... but myu mom is paying me 6$ to do so... so it is a win/lose situation XD
Don't worry, they're just restating the presidential debate.

To tell the truth, this debate (And Dick Cheney) are boring. I did snag this quote though.

"$120 Billion goes to Iraq, the rest goes to Afghanistan and the Global War on Terror" -Dick Cheney

That means that we're spending more on Iraq. They're grouping the leftover money with Afghanistan and GWoT. Iraq and GWoT should be leftover, yet they say their priority is Afghanistan. Hypocritic Republicans.

Alakazam
10-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Well, I think that it's hard to say who did better in this debate. Most political analysists have come to that conclusion as well. I've only caught wind of one poll (done by CBS) so far, which came out 42%-29% in Edwards favor.

It seemed to me that Edwards would voice a statement based on research and facts, and Cheney replied with something to the extent of "No. You're wrong", without really explained what, according to him, was the truth.

I think that both VP candidates represented their policital partners well, though I think that the whole flip-flopping thing is really starting to put the real issues on the back burner.

Jack of Clovers
10-07-2004, 08:08 AM
i didn't watch this one but people say it was better than the Pres. debate last week. lol.
here's something i heard about it. it's not quoted exactly but you will get the idea.
------
Remember, John Edwards is a Senator. :wink:

Cheney to Edwards: How can you be an effective VP when this is the first time I've met you and I visit the Senate every day.
------
to me, that's the most awesome diss to someone's character as they can get. hilarious. :crackup: Edwards must have been speachless after hearing that sentence.

~Jack~

Matthew
10-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Heh... I am so disappointed that I didn't catch the debate... I wanted to see it soo bad! I saw some of the analysis of it on CNN and they should a part of it and I can sense a nasty tension between the two VP candidates. THey both have diffrent personalities... from what I've heard, Edwards seemed to to better than Cheney... due to the fact that they were evenly matched... though their year diffrence in goverment is way diffrent... 30+ yrs for Cheney, and 6 for Edwards... Edwards had shown experience beyond his years.

Lord Celebi
10-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Ok, the second debate is over. I had to watch the rerun, because I went out to dinner.

When the guy brought the draft, I thought Bush was gonna bring up Zammy's rumor in the forums, as I'm sure the SS has seen it. but that woulda been kinda funny. All in all, nothing much new.

Matthew
10-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Brian...word limit. :-/

Oh man, on the debate on Friday, Bush was talking about the environment and stuff, as brought on by one guy. The first thing I thought was, "What a bunch of BS!" hey wait, I'll number them!

2. " Bush pointed out there was cleaner air since he was in the administration. Number of smog alerts increased in Toronto, which is indirectly connected to American air."
3. "Wow, that guy looks like he could bite Bush's head off. (lol, this one was jsut random)"
4. "Huh? Bush just said something about harvesting forests and about reforesting them (isn't that contrasting? You spend 1 dollar for every tree you chop. The net gain of this inudstry is minus 50 cents per tree.). I don't like the sound of that..."
5. "Hey Kerry pointed out that the Clean Air act is harsher than Bush's little environment act. That's right!"

Seriously, I can't stand Bush for lying through his teeth like that...and then get away with it.

btw, I don't know what happened with most of the rest of the debate, since I only heavily paid attention at the part and actually remember (some strange amnesia-type behaviour I have..).

Posted by Kenny... and I want to comment on it.

Hehe... I wish I were able to watch it, but I had to work...

This election is SO close right now, that I don't even care about it anymore...

VenusaurTrainer
10-15-2004, 03:34 AM
Man Bush kicked so much ass in the 3rd debate he was great.

Alakazam
10-22-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm glad that Kerry pretty much beat out Bush in all three debates, especially in the first one.

Bush sounded like such a moron in the last debate, spewing out nothing of substance. I am ashamed to be included in the same species as Geroge W. Bush - he's a disgrace to this nation.

Neo Emolga
02-22-2005, 06:04 PM
I guess I didn't notice this still had a sticky. Or anyone for that matter.

*Locked and Unsticked.