PDA

View Full Version : In Need of Battle Tower Team Help and Advice

Silver Senmurv
05-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Good evening. I would like to set up a team for the Battle Tower consisting of a Fire, Water, and Grass type. Between them are no common weaknesses. So far I think I may use a Ninetales with a moveset like this:

Flamethrower
Energy Ball
Nasty Plot
Hypnosis

This moveset was recommended by someone here, and I do like the sound of it. The stumbling block now is for the other two pokemon. I don't know what I should use, and it's driving me nuts! Thanks to all who can help in advance.

Edit: I've been thinking of using Vaporeon for a water type. I already have a basic idea of what Vaporeon should do. Maybe:

Water Pulse/Surf
Ice Beam
Substitute
???

*sigh*

Edit: Extrasensory suggested the Ninetales moveset. Thanks!

Jungle Boy
05-29-2007, 03:24 AM
One question: are you planning on having a pure Water-type and a pure Grass-type?
If so, Azumarill could be an interesting choice, with:

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Huge Power
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall/Aqua Tail
- Return/Double-Edge

Could be interesting, I've never had time to try it out and see how well it works. Sort-of like a slower, tankier Medicham, but with less options.
...or just go for a more straight-forward Swords Dancing Feraligatr, with Ice Punch, Aqua Tail, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Brick Break, Aerial Ace, or Shadow Claw. :wink:

As for Grass-type... perhaps something like...
Tangrowth
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

See what you think of those.

Silver Senmurv
05-29-2007, 01:25 PM
So far I think I've settled on Ninetales and Vaporeon. Could swap Hypnosis for Will-o-Wisp. For Vaporeon, I already have one in Gale of Darkness. It seems to have very high IV's, so I plan on using it. So any Vaporeon moveset would have to have moves it either learns by levelling or TM.

See first post for their information thus far. And I am still in need for my grass-type. Who knows, Tangrowth might be good. Weird-looking, though.

Steven
05-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Tangrowth is kind of slow and has poor sp.defense. I might try Bellossom if I were you, it's a well rounded pure grass type, just train him in Sp.Atk and Speed and you should have a decent pokemon. Not to mention it's ability is Cholorphyll which doubles its speed when it's sunny. Slap Sunny Day on her and Solar Beam your little heart out... And if you need to, you can swap out to a fire pokemon for sunny day or water pokemon if they have a fire guy out to absorb the hit. I might try that actually... Heh heh.

Silver Senmurv
05-29-2007, 01:48 PM
The weather is fickle...

Bellossom could work. I'm trying to come up with ideas on my own, but nothing doing. For vaporeon, I just taught mine Substitute and it's a lot of fun. That plus Leftovers makes it extremely durable. Would adding Aqua Ring to the mix (once it's migrated) be good, or is that overkill?

Steven
05-29-2007, 01:50 PM
The weather is fickle...

Bellossom could work. I'm trying to come up with ideas on my own, but nothing doing. For vaporeon, I just taught mine Substitute and it's a lot of fun. That plus Leftovers makes it extremely durable. Would adding Aqua Ring to the mix (once it's migrated) be good, or is that overkill?

Aqua Ring+Leftovers is 1/4th of your life, and since Substitute takes away 1/4 of your life, if you're fast enough, you're practically invincible. Hmmm... Now I want to try that.

Silver Senmurv
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Heh heh... Invincible Sakura! I like the sound of that! (Sakura is Vaporeon's nickname, and she's a girl with a Calm nature. To get such an awesome Eevee as the Gale of Darkness starter... I'm very lucky!)

Really, I ran an IV analysis on her. Unfortunately I have no idea where the EVs are, but she's erratically trained at best. The analysis seemed to indicate rather high IVs of over 20 each. Defense was given 31, but since I'm not sure where her EV training is, I'm taking the low estimate. But, enough rambling about my awesome Vaporeon.

Ninetales should have Flamethrower, Energy Ball, and Nasty Plot, right? For its last move should I use Hypnosis or Will-o-Wisp?

And more grass suggestions are appreceated! I need to see a few before decicing.

Sorry for the long post.

Steven
05-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Actually each only heals for 1/16th so you get 1/8th of your life back every turn. You can throw out more substitutes that way. If you are going with that strategy, you should use Will-o-wisp so that it slowly kills them off while you are substituting, as a good swap out combo. On the other hand though, Hypnosis is nice to make sure they don't do something for a couple turns.

EDIT: Actually if you could do something like:

Dewgong@ Thick Fat (50% damage from Fire and Ice Attacks) + Leftovers
+Speed, - Attack Nature.
252 Speed, 252 HP
Substitute
Aqua Ring
Hail
Toxic

That would be cool, Hail and Toxic for damage, Substitute every turn and Leftovers and Aqua Ring for healing. Pretty tough in theory.

Silver Senmurv
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I know Burn cripples attack. Maybe I should just flip a coin... but Burn stays around while Sleep doesn't.

Is Meganium any good? And what could I do with it?

Edit: Dewgong's Ice type is a liability. Ice only resists Ice and it adds weaknesses to Rock and Fighting.
I have such an awesome Vaporeon as it is, so once I clear XD's Story Mode, I'll migrate her into Pearl or Diamond. Then the real fun starts!

Edit Again: Third member doesn't have to be a grass type! It can be one of these types:
Grass, Fighting, Psychic, Bug, Ghost, or Dark. I don't think those have common weaknesses with Fire and Water.

dusknoir
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
I personally think any pure fire, water and grass Pokemon would do exellent here.

Torkoal is a good Fire choice. It is easy to capture on RSE.

Golduck would be a super choice. It can learn Psychic moves which will blast Fighting-Pokemon out of the picture. It is pretty easy to evolve from Psyduck on FR/LG.

Cherrim is a good combination with Torkoal. It can use Sunny Day which will increase Fire-type moves' power.

Silver Senmurv
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Tauros
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Zen Headbutt
Return/Double Edge/?Pursuit???

This any good? And what should the fourth move be?
I'm focusing on Tauros because I need a good, clean physical sweeper. Ninetales and Vaporeon go Special. Once I get my third teammate I'll be done... for now.

I'd love an answer soon. Or maybe later. No rush.

*uses Rest to restore lost health*