PDA

View Full Version : Anime and Game Designers

Nick_Roge
05-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Has anyone other than me ever thought that forums like these could acctually be created by nintendo in order to get fan ideas for their games, and in some cases, animes?

Kenny_C.002
05-29-2007, 04:18 AM
It's also infringing on intellectual properties if that were the case. So no.

SBaby
06-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Well, there's really no way to prove if a major company is infringing on intellectual properties outside of having a patent for every one of your ideas. But I don't think people from companies use forums to 'spy' on people for ideas, if that's what you mean.

If they started spying on me for Pokemon ideas, the series would've changed its focus long ago.

Kenny_C.002
06-05-2007, 08:43 PM
It's the same reason why Mark Rosewater doesn't look at the "You make the Cards" section of their Magic: the Gathering forums. It's against a game designer's integrity to do that even if it "isn't" infringing on intellectual properties of others.

SBaby
06-09-2007, 02:17 AM
It's the same reason why Mark Rosewater doesn't look at the "You make the Cards" section of their Magic: the Gathering forums. It's against a game designer's integrity to do that even if it "isn't" infringing on intellectual properties of others.

Exactly. Plus, there is still some legal tape, even though the law isn't totally spelled out.

Basically, writers, producers and the like will often avoid forums and FanFic sections while they're in the business. The reason is because they can't use ideas they SEE or READ. But if they don't see or read those ideas, or 'keep their hands clean', as Ben would call it, they're free to create and write as they see fit and their minds don't get polluted with tons of ideas.

But that means that if they come up with an idea that's similar to your own, they could still use it if they didn't know you'd come up with it already. It's the one loophole in plagarism laws. Of course, the chance of that happening is still slim, but the possibility of it happening is still there.

Anyway, if you ever e-mail a writer and ask them if they visit forums or read Fics and they tell you, 'I avoid Fics and Forums for legal reasons,' then that's what they're talking about.