PDA

View Full Version : Webmaster's Discussion Lounge

Azumao
05-31-2007, 03:16 AM
If you have any questions or tips about hosting a site, feel free to post them here. Problem? Need advice? Are the duties of webmastering killing you? Vent/ask/help away, young site-owners! :D

Nick_Roge
05-31-2007, 03:32 AM
I'll ask first, Is there anywhere I can upload videos > 500MB for use on a personal site? And, can someone teach me how to work CSS script?

Xtra
05-31-2007, 03:35 AM
It's kinda hard to teach..... IF you google CSS and HTML help, you'll get some good places like Yahoo Answers and Lissa Esplains.

Azumao
05-31-2007, 03:50 AM
I'll ask first, Is there anywhere I can upload videos > 500MB for use on a personal site? And, can someone teach me how to work CSS script?

Okay, I don't know the limit for them but you could always use Youtube. On the side there is a link to embed the videos in your site.

About the CSS, check this (http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/css/) out. This site = my favorite resource.

Nick_Roge
05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
Youtube has a 10 minute, 100MB limit.

Azumao
05-31-2007, 04:00 AM
Youtube has a 10 minute, 100MB limit.

Oh, in that case, I don't know. I'm not much into movies (yet)....*dreams*

Edit: Doesn't Photobucket host movies now?

Xtra
05-31-2007, 04:17 AM
Tinypic too...

I am in search of two slightly skilled people to help out with my website. I am hopefully looking for a girl and a boy, but gender is un-important. Any offers can post, or PM me. I am looking for a team to help me out a bit. 2-4 people.

Azumao
05-31-2007, 04:24 AM
Tinypic too...

I am in search of two slightly skilled people to help out with my website. I am hopefully looking for a girl and a boy, but gender is un-important. Any offers can post, or PM me. I am looking for a team to help me out a bit. 2-4 people.

I can help some, but I'm kind of busy sometimes. Sign me up anyway, though. *blast this whole "being in a good mood thing"* xD

I could do layouts/graphics/random site section writing stuff...or whatever.

Xtra
05-31-2007, 04:30 AM
Ok. Thanks! I feel a strong bond between us!!

Ok. Positions!

Xtra/Site Owner/Updates/Text Stuff
Azumao/Mentor/Updates/Graphics

Azumao
05-31-2007, 05:35 AM
Ok. Thanks! I feel a strong bond between us!!

Ok. Positions!

Xtra/Site Owner/Updates/Text Stuff
Azumao/Mentor/Updates/Graphics

Um, ok. Lol. *vibes*

Just tell me what to do, cheif. In PM, of course. ^^;

Jack of Clovers
05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
I'll ask first, Is there anywhere I can upload videos > 500MB for use on a personal site?
You can try MediaMax (http://www.mediamax.com/Brands/MediaMax/home/home.aspx).

~Jack~

Nick_Roge
05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Once I've uploaded the videos will it let me put the actual video itself on my site interface?

Xtra
05-31-2007, 10:28 PM
I am not sure, but if that doesn't work, you can google some help.

Shadow Eevee
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
If you have any questions or tips about hosting a site, feel free to post them here. Problem? Need advice? Are the duties of webmastering killing you? Vent/ask/help away, young site-owners! :D

I feel like we finally need this! Now if you excuse me...
... Yes, the duties of a webmaster are killing me. I have a question, how do we get hits? Yes besides affilates, I want to know.

Azumao
05-31-2007, 11:09 PM
I feel like we finally need this! Nowm if you excuse me...
... Yes, the duties of a webmaster are killing me. I have a question, how do we get hits? Yes besides affilates, I want to know.

Well, like you said, there's affiliates.

The biggest thing is to be patient. When I first opened in October, I got about 20 hits a day (not unique hits, and most were from me) Now, I have an average of 95 UNIQUE hit's a day (that's 95 different people)

Sure, my sites gotten better and that's part of it, but over time you develop loyal visitors. I have a few here that have let me know they are fans and have stayed with me, and I really appreciate them. (I mean, a lot)

And, of course, the site needs to be good and entertaining. Submitting yourself in topsites helps, too. Plug boards, etc are great. :D Take every (polite) chance to advertise, but don't throw it in their face like "MY SITE IS THE #1 RESOURCE COME SEE IT!!!"

Nick_Roge
05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Yay, Google video will let me upload it.

Tabbloza
05-31-2007, 11:41 PM
I own a domain, but it's mostly for hosting images and files. All my sites on it die within a week or so. :/ It's annoying, I can never keep a website running!

Azumao
05-31-2007, 11:49 PM
I own a domain, but it's mostly for hosting images and files. All my sites on it die within a week or so. :/ It's annoying, I can never keep a website running!

:( I'm sorry, I would like to see a site by you. I'd imagine with your graphic skills it'd be very pretty. ^^

Xtra
06-01-2007, 12:13 AM
I double that! I bet your sites would be graphic and nice, and all that jazz

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 12:59 AM
I have a problem. My site duplicates my banner, actually more like 1 and 1/5 of a copy. My proof. (http://www.freewebs.com/eevees-mansion) What's wrong? By the way, does the background look corny or good?

Xtra
06-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Maybe try too make a different banner. A bigger one.

Azumao
06-01-2007, 01:51 AM
I have a problem. My site duplicates my banner, actually more like 1 and 1/5 of a copy. My proof. (http://www.freewebs.com/eevees-mansion) What's wrong? By the way, does the background look corny or good?

You have the banner as the background for the cell. Instead, you need to put the banner in the cell. Change the background to a color, go to the contents of that cell, and put the image in it. Then, it will only show up once. ^^

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Maybe try too make a different banner. A bigger one.
Sure.
You have the banner as the background for the cell. Instead, you need to put the banner in the cell. Change the background to a color, go to the contents of that cell, and put the image in it. Then, it will only show up once. ^^

Sorry, but for the less advanced people here such as me, huh?

Azumao
06-01-2007, 01:59 AM
Sure.

Sorry, but for the less advanced people here such as me, huh?

The header is a cell, just like each of the navigation bars are cells, and the content is a cell. Just like you have a all of the text in those cells, put your banner in the header cell.

Since you have the image as the background for the cell, and the cell is bigger than your image, it repeats. So, if you just put the image in it, it will only show once, because it will not be the background.

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 02:01 AM
The header is a cell, just like each of the navigation bars are cells, and the content is a cell. Just like you have a all of the text in those cells, put your banner in the header cell.

Since you have the image as the background for the cell, and the cell is bigger than your image, it repeats. So, if you just put the image in it, it will only show once, because it will not be the background.

Oh, that explains alot. :redface: To WEBEDITZ!

Azumao
06-01-2007, 02:06 AM
Oh, that explains alot. :redface: To WEBEDITZ!

Great to know you understand. ^^

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Great to know you understand. ^^
Not quite. It's not working.

Xtra
06-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Well do you know where you change your left and right menu? Scroll down, and you will see banner. You probably have your banner image as the backround. Take it off, and put it where it says Edit Banner Here.

Nick_Roge
06-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Yay, Google video will let me upload it.

Strike that, I don't have the copyright so I can't post it.:susp:

Azumao
06-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Strike that, I don't have the copyright so I can't post it.:susp:

I have no clue what to do then, why don't you just look around some more? Like I've said, all I know are Photobucket and Youtube. :/

Jack of Clovers
06-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Once I've uploaded the videos will it let me put the actual video itself on my site interface?
Quote from the site:
"You can also post a URL to the hosted file on your blog, on MySpace, on your website, or on eBay. MediaMax makes it quick and easy to host files online."

I would think so, but I've never actually tried since I have neither of those options.

~Jack~

Soda
06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know if you can use HTML and all that on Tripod Lycos tihng FreeWebs is to much of a hassle personaly I tihnk Tripod is way better then FreeWebs tohugh not as popular ^^;

Xtra
06-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Personally, Freewebs is the way to go. It has ,lots of space, and bandwhich, and you can easuily down-grade it to HTML version. For proff of freewebs being really easy to use, go to my site, the Valley Of Leaves.

Tripod, I personally hate. It isn't good for images, and like Geocities, not a good site builder at all. Use freewebs if anything, because it is easiest for a new HTMLer. I am at about Intermediate to low HTML user, yet I still like freewebs helpfulness.

Soda
06-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Personally, Freewebs is the way to go. It has ,lots of space, and bandwhich, and you can easuily down-grade it to HTML version. For proff of freewebs being really easy to use, go to my site, the Valley Of Leaves.

Tripod, I personally hate. It isn't good for images, and like Geocities, not a good site builder at all. Use freewebs if anything, because it is easiest for a new HTMLer. I am at about Intermediate to low HTML user, yet I still like freewebs helpfulness.

I've trid FreeWebs and I know what your site looks like and I just want it to look like that, well the navigation, not the colors or banner just how it looks but I don't get how to put the navigation on both sides.

Though it seems some of your site comes off my computer screen to were I can't see it ^^l

pika2000
06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know if you can use HTML and all that on Tripod Lycos tihng FreeWebs is to much of a hassle personaly I tihnk Tripod is way better then FreeWebs tohugh not as popular ^^;
You can upload your own HTML files to Tripod.
If you don't know HTML yourself, you should go and read some HTML tutorials and then just try learning by doing. It's not that hard, just keep trying and praticing ;)

Xtra
06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Welll, simply just get a layout from another website. I did that, and completely changed it so it looked customl,,yet kept the credits. Simply go to this address and you'll find a nice layout: http://www.eonlightvalley.com

Nick_Roge
06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Quote from the site:
"You can also post a URL to the hosted file on your blog, on MySpace, on your website, or on eBay. MediaMax makes it quick and easy to host files online."

I would think so, but I've never actually tried since I have neither of those options.

~Jack~

I just found out that with a free acount you can't upload more than 100 MB at a time there too.