PDA

View Full Version : A Desperate Plea

TVTMaster
05-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Okay, I'm just about fed up with this. People join the forum. They browse for a bit. They see that evey single person is making sprite shops, and assume, with no knowledge how to do so whatsoever, that they can sprite, that they jump right in, clutter the board with a thread full of crap first sprites, and then leave after a week or so, leaving behind hundreds of worthless "shops" that push everything with quality aside.

Please! A plea to new spriters! Don't start a "shop" until you can sprite! First, learn how to sprite beyond mediocre recolors, then hone your skills until people would reasonably be impressed by your work. Then, you should feel ready to start a shop, where people will actually be able to request sprite work, things impressive and appealing. I urge you to consider this: You will not gain respect by showing off how new you are to spriting.

A mere two years ago, PE2K was different. The people who sprited had skill, and had good knowledge of spriting. If any shop started by a new member cropped up, with low-quality sprites, the veteran spriters would be able to help that person improve, and soon they would be skilled and qualified to run their shop. But now, there are too many newbies, and good spriters are few and far between. Please, save this board, and learn before you set up shop!

Agreement List:
TVTMaster
sonickid01
lsukid007
Rawr
Azumao
pokemole
Groudon Fan
Tabbloza
Wario
Xtra
Shining Empoleon
Modern Doorknob
Sent Reglay
Salamence
Aruseus777
Claona
Lucarichi
Blaziken Knight
Kitty-chan
WifiFX
PokeJosh
Lugia Lover9
Pokeboy sarab
Emeraldsuicune
Susan Rocket
Shiny Loser
Blood Flood
Calypso
Sky Tamer
ViktorNight
Shadow Eevee
Ninja TK
xXGengarXx
Callum
Lord Torterra
kiba wolfs rain
Tombi
Gaia
espeon kid

sonickid01
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
I may as well enjoy having you around until you get banned for flaming, TVT.

But yeah, I agree, although not as much as TVT. I'm not as ticked off about it as you are, but yeah. You are right.

The cause of this is Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. They search, "pokmon diamond perl cheats" and come to PE2K. They say, "oh wow thats cool lol" and search around for a week. Then they notice a little button in the top left corner that reads, "forum," click it, and here we are. With 80 sprite shops and 97 people on the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl board, and 50 on the GBA board.

Yee-aahp.

~Falcon~
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
I second this plea, I'm with you all the way TVT

edit: Actually i'm a third XD

Rawr
05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm a newbie trying things out with a shop but what the hey. I agree cos theres not enough veterans around to give us a boost. but I'm not actually that bad... or am I?

TVTMaster
05-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Oh. That. Can't say I never considered it, but I'm going to try to fix this place up before the inevitable happens. It's just out of hand, and I need to put it right before... you know.

Azumao
05-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I so agree with you; that's why the Graphic and Pixel boards were seperated in the first place, to keep the newbie shops from pushing back the graphic threads.

I'm signing my name in blood, man. You know what I think? We should make PE2K version of How to Sprite (http://www.freewebs.com/howtosprite). You know, made by the people here just for the ones that can't sprite here. The websites is out of date, IMO, and there are so many new methods of spriting that get destroyed by people attempting it when there are no tuts out there. I can just see the "What Makes a Sprite a Sprite" section, ruling out the skewing, smudging, photoshop-glowing, gradient recoloring...*fingers twitch* I might just type it up for myself.

Plus, if you think the above idea is good, I can host it as a subdomain on my site. :wink:

pokemole
05-31-2007, 09:04 PM
i have been spriting for quite a while now and i might be able to help people. i still haven't opened a shop and i have been on the forum for a little while because i think people should be very good before they open a shop. sign me up!!!

TVTMaster
05-31-2007, 09:06 PM
By all means, yes. It'd be great to teach newbies not to fall for those gimmicks.

EDIT: Well, if you made your avatar, then I can see you being decent. And yeah, thanks for that.

Xtra
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
I totally agree. I have had maybe four saprite shops ruined by these mediocor sprites. Chalk Pokemon! A fake escuse of being to lazy to sprite, so the disgusting ly make it one color. Inverts! Disgusting waste of space. Put me up there, please. Glad I am not tjhe only one that thinks this.

Wario
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
I so agree with you; that's why the Graphic and Pixel boards were seperated in the first place, to keep the newbie shops from pushing back the graphic threads.

I'm signing my name in blood, man. You know what I think? We should make PE2K version of How to Sprite (http://www.freewebs.com/howtosprite). You know, made by the people here just for the ones that can't sprite here. The websites is out of date, IMO, and there are so many new methods of spriting that get destroyed by people attempting it when there are no tuts out there. I can just see the "What Makes a Sprite a Sprite" section, ruling out the skewing, smudging, photoshop-glowing, gradient recoloring...*fingers twitch* I might just type it up for myself.

Plus, if you think the above idea is good, I can host it as a subdomain on my site. :wink:

If that ever works out, I'd be glad to help.

The board was even less spammy a few months ago.

Azumao
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
By all means, yes. It'd be great to teach newbies not to fall for those gimmicks.

EDIT: Well, if you made your avatar, then I can see you being decent. And yeah, thanks for that.

Okay, I'll post a thread here for it I suppose. It'll be open to all submissions of tutorials and such from talented spriters, just give me a momento to typo. :D

Rawr
05-31-2007, 09:13 PM
I just hope I'm not a n00bish one... **paces about getting worried** could some expert check out my two threads to see if they are n00bish?

pokemole
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM

i did make my avvie but it is quite old now.

Tabbloza
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
I suppose I'll join too. I could try making a tutorial or something when I get off school. :)

Just don't go overboard on the flaming, TVT, you don't want to get banned for it. x)

Groudon_fan
05-31-2007, 09:17 PM
We need to get better spriters.

I propose a Sprite Scools board where vetrans make scools.

Wario
05-31-2007, 09:18 PM
yeah, put me on teh list please.

Rawr
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
You should rate everyone's thread from n00bish - Veteran.

Groudon_fan
05-31-2007, 09:19 PM
me too!

Better spriters = Better shops.

Rawr
05-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Is my shop considered ok?

Azumao
05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
We need to get better spriters.

I propose a Sprite Scools board where vetrans make scools.

We had one, but it kind of died. ;_; I got to lazy to keep it up, actually. xD

@Rawr - I'll check out your shop(s), h/o

Edit: Your recolors are okay, except for the really bright ones like Ponyta. Remember to never use default paint colors. ;)

Rawr
05-31-2007, 09:24 PM
could you check my little TC thing too?

Azumao
05-31-2007, 09:27 PM

I like your style, it's different. Other than the eye-bleedingly bright Pokes, I think your example is really cool. ^^

Now, back on topic before TVT kicks our butts.

Rawr
05-31-2007, 09:28 PM
Thnaks and yep, back on topic!

pokemole
05-31-2007, 09:43 PM

i think that you should have one shop with everything you can do so the board doesn't get clustered.

Blaziken Knight
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
im with TVT i hate how ppl save as gifs and jpeg and bmp and stuff, and some people make shops with no examples like Shining Empoleon most of the time .... well anyways im agreeing

Azumao
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
im with TVT i hate how ppl save as gifs and jpeg and bmp and stuff, and some people make shops with no examples like Shining Empoleon most of the time .... well anyways im agreeing

It's nice that you agree, but I advise you don't point fingers.

Blaziken Knight
05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
It's nice that you agree, but I advise you don't point fingers.
lol ok woops 4 word rule i think.

Groudon_fan
05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
There was a sprite scool board? O.o

Azumao
05-31-2007, 10:04 PM
There was a sprite scool board? O.o

Yes, it had about 22 members and was called the school of Spritiology. It was fun for a bit, but it didn't last long. My fault, though. *takes the blame and is stoned by angry PE2Kers*

Seriously, though, sorry if you missed out on it. Hopefully there will be a new, longer lasting one coming up now with the new project. ^^

Lucarichi
05-31-2007, 10:06 PM
yeah, i agree with you some. so, here's my idea: before starting a shop, work at some other shop to get better.

Disco_King
05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm in! totally! that is really getting on my nerves!

Azumao
05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
yeah, i agree with you some. so, here's my idea: before starting a shop, work at some other shop to get better.

But the thing is, when people do this, we have all of the super-shops that are newbies to spriting, instead of all of the regular shops that are newbies to spriting. :o

Aruseus777
05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
I agree. Few shops actually make things I'd consider sprites.

Claona
05-31-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow, you read my mind. I know I haven't set up a shop here, but I've been spriting for a year or 2 on Serebii, and recently we are starting to have the same problems there. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went to a sprite thread filled with paint recolors with no shading. after only a llittle advice, he dramaticaly improved, making perfect recolors. Then, along came a post I could hardly read becuase it was mostly chatspeak. After a while, I finaly figured out what the post said. It said that the thread starter's improved sprites were horrible and that he could obviosly do better. The post ended with him saying that his sprites were much better, followed by a pic of a paint red and pink Charizard saved as a jpg. Truly horrifying. Oh, yeah, and I'd be honoured to support this thread.

Sent Reglay
05-31-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm glad I saw this. I'm not a frequenter of the spriting board like I once was, but I completely agree. Only a few months ago I started spriting, and in just a small period of time, this board has increased in size, and decreased in talent.

Azumao
05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Wow, you read my mind. I know I haven't set up a shop here, but I've been spriting for a year or 2 on Serebii, and recently we are starting to have the same problems there. The straw that broke the camels back was when I went to a sprite thread filled with paint recolors with no shading. after only a llittle advice, he dramaticaly improved, making perfect recolors. Then, along came a post I could hardly read becuase it was mostly chatspeak. After a while, I finaly figured out what the post said. It said that the thread starter's improved sprites were horrible and that he could obviosly do better. The post ended with him saying that his sprites were much better, followed by a pic of a paint red and pink Charizard saved as a jpg. Truly horrifying. Oh, yeah, and I'd be honoured to support this thread.

You're story touches my soul, man. :cry: I understand just what you mean.

sonickid01
05-31-2007, 11:41 PM
True that.
I started my spriting about 3 years ago. It's been at least four or five months since I sprited anything that wasn't for extra credit homework. Well said, Sent, my boy.
I don't have Diamond or Pearl, so I don't know. But I love DP and hate DP at the same time. I love it because it sounds pretty cool, but I hate it because... just look at the board. XP

Modern Doorknob
05-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Oh wow... let's see. I went to a nooby site where I saw sprite noobs making nooby sprites.
Let's just call this one guy "Noob-Loser"

Noob-Loser: i mad my fist ite 2day!
Me: Let's see it.
Loser: http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/789/dpmfa244bo2.png (http://imageshack.us) its so muc hbetter then urs
Me: O RLY?
Loser: ya, im gettting betur at myy spites wen u suck
Me: O RLY? http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p10/SF_Bahamut/Wigglizumarill.png That would be my first sprite.
Loser: ya, o hat isr. I'm getting better. http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4889/dpmfa254qi1.png (http://imageshack.us)
Me: Wow.. don't quit your day job..
Loser: wat isa dayb jobob>?WS

Basically, I support this thread.

Disco_King
05-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Oh wow... let's see. I went to a nooby site where I saw sprite noobs making nooby sprites.
Let's just call this one guy "Noob-Loser"

Noob-Loser: i mad my fist ite 2day!
Me: Let's see it.
Loser: http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/789/dpmfa244bo2.png (http://imageshack.us) its so muc hbetter then urs
Me: O RLY?
Loser: ya, im gettting betur at myy spites wen u suck
Me: O RLY? http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p10/SF_Bahamut/Wigglizumarill.png That would be my first sprite.
Loser: ya, o hat isr. I'm getting better. http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4889/dpmfa254qi1.png (http://imageshack.us)
Me: Wow.. don't quit your day job..
Loser: wat isa dayb jobob>?WS

Basically, I support this thread.
the second one isnt so bad...

Modern Doorknob
05-31-2007, 11:54 PM
the second one isnt so bad...

The second one was mine... xD

Salamence
05-31-2007, 11:58 PM
I totally agree. :]

Otherwise, I would've started a shop already.

EonMythos
06-01-2007, 01:02 AM
I don't know how much my input counts, seeing as I've only been spriting for about a month and a half now, but I must say I agree. Most of my sprites have evolved because I mess around with them on my own, but I don't think they are as good as they could be because I have no one to give me pointers, or bits of advice as to do the exact things. I'll get 'Oh, you should change this to this, or that to that', but that doesn't actually tell me how I should go about changing them. I am a new spriter, and I am not the greatest, I'll admit, but if someone could teach me how to do better, I would be extremely greatful.

I'm pretty sure that alot of new spriters want to get better, and want to be as good as some of the veterans, but there's really not that many places they can go to learn how to improve their sprites. It would be great if we could put together something that could help them and me, and then maybe alot more of the spriters here would improve greatly, and their sprites would become much more impressive.

Also, I was wondering exactly how many of you sprite in MS paint? :redface: That's the only thing I have on my computer, and it's the only thing I can get, since the computer is so old and out of space. So, all of my sprites have been done in MS paint, resulting in little to no custom colors.

Azumao
06-01-2007, 01:09 AM
I don't know how much my input counts, seeing as I've only been spriting for about a month and a half now, but I must say I agree. Most of my sprites have evolved because I mess around with them on my own, but I don't think they are as good as they could be because I have no one to give me pointers, or bits of advice as to do the exact things. I'll get 'Oh, you should change this to this, or that to that', but that doesn't actually tell me how I should go about changing them. I am a new spriter, and I am not the greatest, I'll admit, but if someone could teach me how to do better, I would be extremely greatful.

I'm pretty sure that alot of new spriters want to get better, and want to be as good as some of the veterans, but there's really not that many places they can go to learn how to improve their sprites. It would be great if we could put together something that could help them and me, and then maybe alot more of the spriters here would improve greatly, and their sprites would become much more impressive.

Also, I was wondering exactly how many of you sprite in MS paint? :redface: That's the only thing I have on my computer, and it's the only thing I can get, since the computer is so old and out of space. So, all of my sprites have been done in MS paint, resulting in little to no custom colors.

A lot of great spriters use MSPaint. You can make custom colors by going to Colors > Edit Colors on the menu on top. It's really not that bad, the only thing that seperates it from other pixel-art programs is the lack of shortcuts and stuff. (ets CTRL + Click = eye dropper tool, that kind of thing)

TVTMaster
06-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I use paint. Customing colors is pretty easy, and it gives you all the color values and stuff. The interface is easier than Photoshop's way of having to pinpoint the lightness on a map for each hue. And you're on the list.

WifiFX
06-01-2007, 01:15 AM
I agree....I wonder if I'm good.....hmm...

EonMythos
06-01-2007, 01:16 AM
A lot of great spriters use MSPaint. You can make custom colors by going to Colors > Edit Colors on the menu on top. It's really not that bad, the only thing that seperates it from other pixel-art programs is the lack of shortcuts and stuff. (ets CTRL + Click = eye dropper tool, that kind of thing)

Ah, m'kay. I wasn't sure what all the differences between the different programs were. I've always used MS Paint, because it's just a lot easier to me then trying to go learn a new program. I'm not the best when it comes to computer programs, and I'm still learning about Paint.net on one of our other computers. :oops:

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. :happy:

PokeJosh
06-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Okay, I'm just about fed up with this. People join the forum. They browse for a bit. They see that evey single person is making sprite shops, and assume, with no knowledge how to do so whatsoever, that they can sprite, that they jump right in, clutter the board with a thread full of crap first sprites, and then leave after a week or so, leaving behind hundreds of worthless "shops" that push everything with quality aside.

Please! A plea to new spriters! Don't start a "shop" until you can sprite! First, learn how to sprite beyond mediocre recolors, then hone your skills until people would reasonably be impressed by your work. Then, you should feel ready to start a shop, where people will actually be able to request sprite work, things impressive and appealing. I urge you to consider this: You will not gain respect by showing off how new you are to spriting.

A mere two years ago, PE2K was different. The people who sprited had skill, and had good knowledge of spriting. If any shop started by a new member cropped up, with low-quality sprites, the veteran spriters would be able to help that person improve, and soon they would be skilled and qualified to run their shop. But now, there are too many newbies, and good spriters are few and far between. Please, save this board, and learn before you set up shop!

This has been a major issue for a while now. you know, I am kind of new to this forum, but I am not new at all to spriting. I wish there was a way that every newbie could be taught and trained to sprite, but sorry, there isn't. If you want to be recognized as a spriter, learn to sprite!This is a good topic, and I hope it gets lot's of new people to look here.

I started out using MS paint, and I havnt stopped using it since. It is a really great program, but I wish newb's would at least try to learn to use it.

~PokeJosh~

TVTMaster
06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Right, Wifi and Josh are on the list. Wifi, I can't say I've seen your work.

And Josh, yeah, thanks.

Tabbloza
06-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Heh, I love MS Paint. It's so simple, it's perfect for sprites. :) I also have Photoshop, I use that for anything other than sprites, unless it's a pixel-over.

pokefreak_51
06-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Definately true Poke Josh...paint is actually BETTER for spriting, just not general art. Like stuff that would go in the Graphic Arts section might need photoshop, but even then, not necessarily.

Lugia_Lover9
06-01-2007, 02:14 AM
I agree to the plea. Like, take this for example:

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38144
^(If you saw this) I mean seriously!! Have you ever seen more revolting, poorly done Fakemon? And also this guy has stealed people's work before.... CAUTION IS ADVISED :eek:

And look at my signature, I think that THAT is the kind of stuff that is worthwhile (ooh, and I did that from scratch!! =^^=)

And yes, MS Paint is perfect. I never use anything else but MS Paint for spriting.

Pokeboy sarab
06-01-2007, 02:22 AM
I totally agree with you on that TVT.

Lugia_Lover9
06-01-2007, 02:27 AM
And also some people will just make a shop entirely out of double-teams (hologram-like ones) and recolours!! I mean, those aren't challenging and anyone could do them. I don't really think they're really worth requesting. Fuzors, Devamps, Revamps, Originals (like Mucky Pokemon, Lunchboxes, etc.), Fakemon (especially!! ~For some atleast. I can finish about 30 in a day if I don't have interuptions!!~), Trainer Cards, Agilities, No-lines, Animated Rainbows, Reposes, and more are actually worth requesting and posting! Well...... if a person is good at it! :oops:

Modern Doorknob
06-01-2007, 02:30 AM
And also some people will just make a shop entirely out of double-teams (hologram-like ones) and recolours!! I mean, those aren't challenging and anyone could do them. I don't really think they're really worth requesting. Fuzors, Devamps, Revamps, Originals (like Mucky Pokemon, Lunchboxes, etc.), Fakemon (especially!! ~For some atleast. I can finish about 30 in a day if I don't have interuptions!!~), Trainer Cards, Agilities, No-lines, Animated Rainbows, Reposes, and more are actually worth requesting and posting! Well...... if a person is good at it! :oops:

Yeah, and some people aren't even good at recolors... =p

Pikablu Pie
06-01-2007, 02:34 AM
I have to agree.

What makes me even angrier is when people think they pwn everyone's socks, tell people not to use downright dumb sprites, etc.

We really need the newbiw spriters to learn without people acting badly to them.

Lugia_Lover9
06-01-2007, 02:41 AM
It's also kind of annoying to my optic nerve when someone fuzes a fuzor, and there are a bunch of loose pixels and junk!! Here is my reference:
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1006987#post1006987

AND when they dont crop down a picture! There it is, just floating unevenly! Kind of annoys me, really........

And also when someone says 'Oh, I can be famous for '............' I'm good at those!'. Example: -GohJolteonBoy Quote- I could become famous for my Trozei recolours! I'm really good at those.'
Umm......... Not really.....
And people's posters and banners! If you're just going to scribble away in MS Paint, just forget about it! (Yet again, referrenced to GohJolteonBoy in the link)

Azumao
06-01-2007, 02:43 AM
It's also kind of annoying to my optic nerve when someone fuzes a fuzor, and there are a bunch of loose pixels and junk!! Here is my reference:

AND when they dont crop down a picture! There it is, just floating unevenly! Kind of annoys me, really........

Please, pleeeease don't point fingers. It's mean. :[

Lugia_Lover9
06-01-2007, 02:48 AM

*sticks out tongue at 'chu* When life gives you lemons..... buy a gopher :B

Modern Doorknob
06-01-2007, 02:55 AM

And also when someone says 'Oh, I can be famous for '............' I'm good at those!'. Example: -GohJolteonBoy Quote- I could become famous for my Trozei recolours! I'm really good at those.'
And people's posters and banners! If you're just going to scribble away in MS Paint, just forget about it! (Yet again, referrenced to GohJolteonBoy in the link)

Like Azu said, pointing fingers is mean, although that thread did make me vomit.

Lugia_Lover9
06-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Serry.... '-_-

rofl

Azumao
06-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Ah, m'kay. I wasn't sure what all the differences between the different programs were. I've always used MS Paint, because it's just a lot easier to me then trying to go learn a new program. I'm not the best when it comes to computer programs, and I'm still learning about Paint.net on one of our other computers. :oops:

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. :happy:

If you want another good (free and safe) program, I suggest GraphicsGale. It's not that hard to figure it out, and when you do, it makes paint look like *insert poopy word here*. Really, it does. But of course if you want to stick with paint, that's cool. I'm not your mother or anything. ^^;

O.o

*sticks out tongue at 'chu* When life gives you lemons..... buy a gopher :B

...What? Lawl, I thought it was "When life gives you lemons, put the juice into water guns and squirt people in the eyes"

Blood_Flood
06-01-2007, 12:21 PM
TVT i 110% agree with what ur saying so add me to the list

ViktorNight
06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree man.

I know im not very good at spriting, and I may even be guilty of what you're speaking of. :susp:

At the very least if people do want to start spriting. They should do an "apprenticeship" sort-of thing. Where they work with someone who can give them pointers on what they're weak points are. So they can become better and the people with decent shops don't have to go 5-6 pages into the threads to find their shop.

Pokeboy sarab
06-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Um....I don't think you should base it on him, unlike him most people tend not to steal other's sprites. Anyway I hope azu's guide turns out well for all the newbs.

Sky Tamer
06-01-2007, 12:43 PM
*agrees to thread*

Well, for me, my story, I started out my shop at Serebii with a friend that knows how to make TCs. I actually haven't made one TC when I started my shop.

But then, I got to make my first one because of a requester, and I made many mistakes. I got into making more and for that I got better. I then started to make more TCs, when I tried fusions. I liked it because it makes you more creative because making TCs tends to be repetitive even though it's my specialty. I got into making PokéMorphs(or whatever it's called) and I got better because I kept on making more. So I advice before starting a shop, work on another first as the a poster said(forgot the name).

That way, you'll get better, and when you think you've got it, and when other people think so, too, start your own. My shop is very successful and I'm proud of it.

Hope this helps to all the n00bs, or should I say, novices, out there. Don't start out like me.

Shiny Loser
06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I totally agree with your thread, TVT. I might be guilty of your accusation, but I'm not too sure.

And @ kitty-chan: Try GIMP, a free program much better than Paint. Though Photoshop beats it any day, GIMP is free.

Calypso
06-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Yup, I agree...

Shops should have to have an aprroval from an Art Mod before started...

It would make life so much easier >.>

Sign me up ;DD

Susan_Rocket
06-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Hmmm, I'm new...and these are examples:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/susanrocket/flygon-1.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/susanrocket/Susandungeon.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/susanrocket/Raichuheartkopie.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/susanrocket/gengarghastly.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/susanrocket/pikachumimiro.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/susanrocket/manafi.gif

hmm...I better not start a sprite shop :silenced:

nah, I won't start a sprite shop, anyways. I'm busy with work and stuff already as it is :oops:

People may go "I'm not good enough" if they read this, though. As a matter of fact, I always find my own sprites really bad...eventhough people say they look good. maybe some admins will have to pick stuff out theirselves. like an acception or something like that. Excuse me for my multiple grammar and spelling mistakes, English isn't my first language

Pokeboy sarab
06-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Yup, I agree...

Shops should have to have an aprroval from an Art Mod before started...

It would make life so much easier >.>

Sign me up ;DD
I don't mods would have the time to approve every shop that is made, do you?

Modern Doorknob
06-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm not starting a shop because my sprites have... fallen... they aren't very good anymore.
My break was a little... long...

Emeraldsuicune
06-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Agreed. I wanna try a shop, but only when i'm better. Much,much better

Calypso
06-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't mods would have the time to approve every shop that is made, do you?

Yeah, but all they would have to do is decline if they are unworthy or they need improve beforehand. I don't see how it would take long...

Claona
06-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, but all they would have to do is decline if they are unworthy or they need improve beforehand. I don't see how it would take long...

The only problem I see is that noobs would just post the shop without getting permission from the Mods

Calypso
06-01-2007, 07:54 PM
The only problem I see is that noobs would just post the shop without getting permission from the Mods

Yup, but people are used to it. Check the Art Contests board for reference ;PPP

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree with you man. Yes, I admit I was one of them, but now I seek refuge in the OCI.(N00bs don't go there. And if they do, atleast they're less stubborn.) So I am signing Shadow Eevee.

SHADOW EEVEE APPROVES THIS MESSAGE!!!

Bulbachu
06-01-2007, 09:03 PM
this is rediculous! if you're so angry about all the new spriters being bad, why don't you help them instead of whining about it? if you say, "your sprites suck", well, that doesn't help at all, it just hurts their feelings! if you say, "your sprites suck, fix the outlines and the shading, it'll make them better" that helps! but all of you say the first one! at least i try to help!

Salamence
06-01-2007, 09:07 PM
this is rediculous! if you're so angry about all the new spriters being bad, why don't you help them instead of whining about it? if you say, "your sprites suck", well, that doesn't help at all, it just hurts their feelings! if you say, "your sprites suck, fix the outlines and the shading, it'll make them better" that helps! but all of you say the first one! at least i try to help!
Calm down.
Just don't make a shop until you get more experience. Don't come to PE2K, look at a sprite thread, then start shop.

Wait until you've mastered the technique.

sonickid01
06-01-2007, 09:19 PM
TVTMaster, you're well on your way to becoming a politician. XD *shot*

No, take a breather, Bulbachu. What TVT is saying is that there are too many people who are giving little effort into spriting and calling themselves artists. True, he isn't helping anybody, but that's because he has tried.

I, for one, would like to help you guys, but I have no idea what I would say. I'm not too great either.

Although, TVT, he is right. Maybe you should try to help some people sprite and give them pointers. Another shot at it?

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Yeah.

I have one idea: Why won't we have an official stickied spriters school where you have to graduate in order to make a shop? *Prepares to get shot*

sonickid01
06-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah.

I have one idea: Why won't we have an official stickied spriters school where you have to graduate in order to make a shop? *Prepares to get shot*

My *shot*. Not yours.

No, we tried a spriting school before. It didn't quite work. Spritiology lasted about two weeks, and then it spat itself out.

If we had one on PE2K, it would lead to complaining and anger by those who don't pass.

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 09:30 PM
My *shot*. Not yours.

No, we tried a spriting school before. It didn't quite work. Spritiology lasted about two weeks, and then it spat itself out.

If we had one on PE2K, it would lead to complaining and anger by those who don't pass.
What I meant by official is that a moderator like RM or D.2 would run it. Besides, nobody has the nerve to flame a moderator, normal or global.

Tabbloza
06-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Look at the stickied "[PROJECT] How to Sprite - PE2K Stytle" thread. ;) We are trying to help.

Bulbachu
06-01-2007, 09:42 PM

No, take a breather, Bulbachu. What TVT is saying is that there are too many people who are giving little effort into spriting and calling themselves artists. True, he isn't helping anybody, but that's because he has tried.

I, for one, would like to help you guys, but I have no idea what I would say. I'm not too great either.

Although, TVT, she is right. Maybe you should try to help some people sprite and give them pointers. Another shot at it?

i think helping people and telling them their weak points is better than yelling or starting a petition anyday. :biggrin:

Azumao
06-01-2007, 10:06 PM
My *shot*. Not yours.

Yes, doing it like a school would lead to extreme flaming. "What! I don't pass, but I'M GOOD!!!!1!1!!!" And just think about how many people would join, there would be no individual help whatsoever.

i think helping people and telling them their weak points is better than yelling or starting a petition anyday. :biggrin:

Like Tabbz said, we're working on that. If it makes you so mad, you could always go and submit something. >.>;

Modern Doorknob
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
What I meant by official is that a moderator like RM or D.2 would run it. Besides, nobody has the nerve to flame a moderator, normal or global.

I guess I'm nobody then.

Shadow Eevee
06-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I guess I'm nobody then.
Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to offend you.

Modern Doorknob
06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to offend you.

You didn't offend me. XP

Azumao
06-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I guess I'm nobody then.

Stop trying to draw attention to yourself. Flaming mods (or anybody, for that matter) is not something to brag about. >>;

Although if this was led by mods, it would be less likely to get flamed. Either way, I still think it's a bad idea. Just IMO.

Modern Doorknob
06-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Stop trying to draw attention to yourself. Flaming mods (or anybody, for that matter) is not something to brag about. >>;

Although if this was led by mods, it would be less likely to get flamed. Either way, I still think it's a bad idea. Just IMO.

I wasn't even aware I was flaming until afterwards anyway.

TVTMaster
06-02-2007, 01:21 AM
If you read the first post, youd learn that that's what I'd do, if there weren't so many shops nobody had the time to help them all anymore. And it's not a petition. The list is just to show people that this isn't just one person's plea.

xXGengarXx
06-02-2007, 01:24 AM

Agreement List:
TVTMaster
sonickid01
lsukid007
Rawr
Azumao
pokemole
Groudon Fan
Tabbloza
Wario
Xtra
Shining Empoleon
Modern Doorknob
Sent Reglay
Salamence
Aruseus777
Claona
Lucarichi
Blaziken Knight
Kitty-chan
WifiFX
PokeJosh
Lugia Lover9
Pokeboy sarab
Emeraldsuicune
Susan Rocket
Shiny Loser
Blood Flood
Calypso
Sky Tamer
ViktorNight
Shadow Eevee
I can partially agree. I'm big on revamping, (best area) and I see some really horrible ones in the GSS that actually get decent comments .

Ninja TK
06-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I can partially agree. I'm big on revamping, (best area) and I see some really horrible ones in the GSS that actually get decent comments .
I see where you are coming from. Im big on fusions and recolors. They are my favorite things to do, and when newbs slap something together that looks like a piece of... Yeah.. It makes me mad!

Lord Torterra
06-02-2007, 01:48 AM
i agree. i kept spriting for like a month cause i was so bad until i could do a simple fusion. now, im a master-mind! (not really) anyways, ill b on the list.

Ninja TK
06-02-2007, 01:49 AM
i agree. i kept spriting for like a month cause i was so bad until i could do a simple fusion. now, im a master-mind! (not really) anyways, ill b on the list.
Lol, you mean you would like to be on the list? Jk.. But yeah, it will take time. Don't worry about it.

kiba_wolfs_rain
06-02-2007, 02:00 AM
I much agree, too many people out there are making horrible sprites in shops. But, I still think simple things should be ok. I'm in.

Ninja TK
06-02-2007, 02:02 AM
Ok, just thought of this.. Whats the real point of this plea? I mean, there's no goal. All this is, is a thread that people are discussing how much they hate noob shops..

Ninja TK
06-02-2007, 02:08 AM
You know what, your right. It's not like we're doing anything to help really, just agreeing and having a conversation about n00b shops. We aren't making tuts or anything. What's the point?:confused:
I have no idea.. Maybe, we should make a Mandatory school for all n00bs.. You know, tuts and stuff like that and MAKE them do it.. lol..

Azumao
06-02-2007, 04:01 AM
You know what, your right. It's not like we're doing anything to help really, just agreeing and having a conversation about n00b shops. We aren't making tuts or anything. What's the point?:confused:

That's what the spriting project is for.

I have no idea.. Maybe, we should make a Mandatory school for all n00bs.. You know, tuts and stuff like that and MAKE them do it.. lol..

You can't make somebody learn, no matter what they still have free will. And a school for n00bs is an oxymoron if you ask me, because n00bs are defined as someone who breaks rules and refuses to accept that they are breaking them, or doesn't care.

Newbies are the ones who are willing to improve.

Fluffy Mew
06-02-2007, 04:05 AM
im sorry! i opened a shop nd didnt do anything with it! please,someone,lock it up!

Ninja TK
06-02-2007, 04:23 AM
That's what the spriting project is for.

You can't make somebody learn, no matter what they still have free will. And a school for n00bs is an oxymoron if you ask me, because n00bs are defined as someone who breaks rules and refuses to accept that they are breaking them, or doesn't care.

Newbies are the ones who are willing to improve.
Lol, thats what I meant! My bad.. I mean Newbies.. Not n00bs.. Stupid! Stupid! *hits self on the head*

Sky Tamer
06-02-2007, 04:27 AM
Lol, thats what I meant! My bad.. I mean Newbies.. Not n00bs.. Stupid! Stupid! *hits self on the head*
Aww..don't be like that, LOL. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. I'm giving my all in making tuts. To helps once-newbies like me. I think the spriting project is really cool.

(overdramatic eh?)

Ninja TK
06-02-2007, 05:29 AM
Aww..don't be like that, LOL. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes. I'm giving my all in making tuts. To helps once-newbies like me. I think the spriting project is really cool.

(overdramatic eh?)
Little bit.. But yeah, this is gonna be as big as cheese! I love cheese..

Callum
06-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Wack me on that list TVT. I agree with you 100% :cool:
Now the idea has been brought up, what actions will you take?

Gaia
06-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I sign the petition, with a little quote saying "You rock.".

Rawr
06-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Newbies are taking over the world! No one's visiting this forum much anymore. I'm running out of business. I'm working at 3 shops and I still havent had 1 request.

Callum
06-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Newbies are taking over the world! No one's visiting this forum much anymore. I'm running out of business. I'm working at 3 shops and I still havent had 1 request.

If no one wants to request, then why work at shops, lol? Just because no one wants sprites, it doesn't mean no one goes to the forum.

Luckily, I try not to hover around the Sprite area. :D

Tombi
06-02-2007, 03:12 PM
I totally agree. I can name a few people who go around giving useless advice to awesome spriters, when they themselves are actually awful. I want to name them but I won't. =3

Modern Doorknob
06-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I totally agree. I can name a few people who go around giving useless advice to awesome spriters, when they themselves are actually awful. I want to name them but I won't. =3

*Revival

wtf is this awesome thread doing on the 5th thread? It's been 8 days since a reply...
I'd also like to name them... B... nvm...

Raschy
06-11-2007, 12:44 AM

Agreement List:
TVTMaster
sonickid01
lsukid007
Rawr
Azumao
pokemole
Groudon Fan
Tabbloza
Wario
Xtra
Shining Empoleon
Modern Doorknob
Sent Reglay
Salamence
Aruseus777
Claona
Lucarichi
Blaziken Knight
Kitty-chan
WifiFX
PokeJosh
Lugia Lover9
Pokeboy sarab
Emeraldsuicune
Susan Rocket
Shiny Loser
Blood Flood
Calypso
Sky Tamer
ViktorNight
Shadow Eevee
Ninja TK
xXGengarXx
Callum
Lord Torterra
kiba wolfs rain
Tombi
Gaia
I agree. People need to look at the tutorials before doing anything. Thats why there is a whole thread full of tutorials, to help those helpless n00bs sprite and they should go there.

TVTMaster
06-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I agree. People need to look at the tutorials before doing anything. Thats why there is a whole thread full of tutorials, to help those helpless n00bs sprite and they should go there.
Such as you, but yeah. (Sorry, but I've seen your "earthbending pokemon".) The tutorials were made after I started this. Might want to take a look at those instead of categorizing everyone else as new and overlook your own flaws. And let's please not start a flame war. You're not very good, but I'm glad you're at least not cluttering the place further and joining some other person's shop to save room.

And MD, I didn't need a revive. It's against the rules to bump old topics for a reason, you know.

Anastasia-R
06-11-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm with ya.

I go around here and old threads and see really bad recolors. We made the tuts for somthing! Not to lay around so people think it's nothing. Sometimes I see recolors like this:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s265/anastasiar_2007/badexample.png

No one likes paint colors. Use it and you'll get lots of people saying they bruned thier eyes.
Oh boy. People say they do water colors for pokemon. They might have done it on MS word because it let's you do water colors on a pictures. Not really good. XP

Please before anyone does a shop please look at guides or something. You might not be ready for something that big of a job.

Gamakichi
06-11-2007, 02:21 AM
You can add my name to your list TVT. What gets me is people that open shops, take requests, then ask how they can get the image on the website. Wow...

Modern Doorknob
06-11-2007, 02:49 AM
You can add my name to your list TVT. What gets me is people that open shops, take requests, then ask how they can get the image on the website. Wow...

:wink: The Harris is a mentionable name when it comes to that. :wink::wink:

Team Pheonix
06-11-2007, 03:34 AM
I agree too TVT. What really burns me is these sucky fusions that are like just a Pokemon's head on the others. Also, I hate these scratch sprites that are like really big and really suck.

BeserkerFury
06-11-2007, 03:39 AM
You can add me to the list.
I hate people making threrads for shops and leaving,making pointless"Rate this"(I'm guilty of this XD)Threads.
And this http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43516 *shivers*

Modern Doorknob
06-11-2007, 03:44 AM
Yes, I left a nice little comment there.

xXGengarXx
06-11-2007, 03:46 AM
If this is how many people feel maybe there should be some type of qualification test to make shops or something?

Modern Doorknob
06-11-2007, 03:57 AM
If this is how many people feel maybe there should be some type of qualification test to make shops or something?

I think people just need to stick to independent work until they are told by other spriters that they are good enough.

Azumao
06-11-2007, 10:59 AM
:wink: The Harris is a mentionable name when it comes to that. :wink::wink:

You can add me to the list.
I hate people making threrads for shops and leaving,making pointless"Rate this"(I'm guilty of this XD)Threads.
And this http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43516 *shivers*

>.<

Finger pointing is not what this thread is for. Are you both fully aware that that counts as flaming?

Well, it'd be nice if that could happen, but it would lead to a lot of angry n00bs that get denied the right to a shop, and they'd make one anyway.

rygel960
06-11-2007, 11:33 AM
TVTmaster, i agree with what your saying but some people have dreams like opening a sprite and make sprites for others

Azumao
06-11-2007, 12:00 PM
TVTmaster, i agree with what your saying but some people have dreams like opening a sprite and make sprites for others

Dreams take work to follow, and that work includes developing the skills for spriting.

If your dream is to follow a certain career and have your own business, you don't go and by the building to make it first. You go and get a job in that field, develop your skills and gain experience, then you might start your own business. This doesn't mean go and join a sprite shop, because most of them are people that didn't learn first, either. This means read the tuts, develop your skills, get crit in the showcase, and then make a shop when people continuously give you great feedback.

Although, if your dream is to open a sprite shop on a Pokemon forum, then there might be some issues at hand...

Shady
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Why I didn't I see this thread until now I'll never know. xD

Anyways, I agree with you TVT. The huge amount of 'n00b' shops was mostly the reason why all my shops have been closed. I couldn't keep up with trying to stay on the first page. ^^;

So yeah, you can add my name.. if you want. xD

Shiny Loser
06-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Why I didn't I see this thread until now I'll never know. xD

Anyways, I agree with you TVT. The huge amount of 'n00b' shops was mostly the reason why all my shops have been closed. I couldn't keep up with trying to stay on the first page. ^^;

So yeah, you ca add my name.. if you want. xD
hooray! another supporter!

@ Azu: Whoever has an actual dream of opening a sprite shop on a Pokemon forum must have very low aspects for him/herself. But if your dream is to have a successful one, you're gonna need lots of work.

Team Pheonix
06-12-2007, 03:51 AM
This is a great example of a noob shop. http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1203240&posted=1#post1203240
They even posted it in the Role Play section. WTF!

Azumao
06-12-2007, 04:09 AM
This is a great example of a noob shop. http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1203240&posted=1#post1203240
They even posted it in the Role Play section. WTF!

>.<

Once again I shall kindly ask, don't point fingers. How about you tell us how posting that contributed to this conversation? Yeah, good luck with that, since it didn't. We're here to either agree or disagree with TVT's plea, and to discuss ways to solve it. We are not here to post examples of the shops, since we already know what a n00b shop is.

Modern Doorknob
06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
>.<

Once again I shall kindly ask, don't point fingers. How about you tell us how posting that contributed to this conversation? Yeah, good luck with that, since it didn't. We're here to either agree or disagree with TVT's plea, and to discuss ways to solve it. We are not here to post examples of the shops, since we already know what a n00b shop is.

I think people will finger point even if a sign tells them not to. =(

Team Pheonix
06-12-2007, 05:24 PM
>.<

It will help because people who read this thread will see examples of what their shop shouldn't be.

TVTMaster
06-12-2007, 06:28 PM
No, it won't help. It's already been made quite clear.

And I've given up trying to list everyone who's agreed. A lot of them are hypocrits, but I'm not saying I dislike the support.

Modern Doorknob
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
No, it won't help. It's already been made quite clear.

And I've given up trying to list everyone who's agreed. A lot of them are hypocrits, but I'm not saying I dislike the support.

Oh... I hope I'm not a hyprocrit in your eyes. That would be horrible.

[/sarcasm]

Togeking
06-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen this yet... add me to the list. Because of the massive breakout of "n00b' shops, my store has been bumped back a few pages in a day or two.

Modern Doorknob
06-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah, and some of these noobs are making multiple shops; one for fakemon, one for eggs, etc.

Ali the Dark One
06-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I completely agree, maybe they could make opening a sprite shop like opening a contest. You PM a mod with the exact stuff in your sprite shop and the mod can either accept (then you post the sprite shop) or the mod could tell you that you can't start the shop and need to practice more.

Modern Doorknob
06-13-2007, 11:21 PM
I completely agree, maybe they could make opening a sprite shop like opening a contest. You PM a mod with the exact stuff in your sprite shop and the mod can either accept (then you post the sprite shop) or the mod could tell you that you can't start the shop and need to practice more.

well, I was thinking that you'd need to get a "liscense" to open shops (via mod approval), and pnce you got it you would no longer need to get your shops approved.

Ali the Dark One
06-15-2007, 01:38 AM
well, I was thinking that you'd need to get a "liscense" to open shops (via mod approval), and pnce you got it you would no longer need to get your shops approved.

That's a good idea! I think spriting licenses could help lower all these shops... Ugh... The last post was yesterday late evening, and this already had been pushed to the third page...

DratiniLover
06-15-2007, 04:00 PM

Agreement List:
TVTMaster
sonickid01
lsukid007
Rawr
Azumao
pokemole
Groudon Fan
Tabbloza
Wario
Xtra
Shining Empoleon
Modern Doorknob
Sent Reglay
Salamence
Aruseus777
Claona
Lucarichi
Blaziken Knight
Kitty-chan
WifiFX
PokeJosh
Lugia Lover9
Pokeboy sarab
Emeraldsuicune
Susan Rocket
Shiny Loser
Blood Flood
Calypso
Sky Tamer
ViktorNight
Shadow Eevee
Ninja TK
xXGengarXx
Callum
Lord Torterra
kiba wolfs rain
Tombi
Gaia
espeon kid

Good idea! Add me to the list! Too many newbie shops spam the forum, and they need to practise a bit more.

Eeveedude
06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Good idea! Add me to the list! Too many newbie shops spam the forum, and they need to practise a bit more.

I thought i was already on it but i guess not so put my name in there too.

Woodchuck
06-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Personally, I think most of the problem comes from all of the crappy styles of spriting that have been thought up. I mean, things like Fossils (A recolor with no eyes), Siamese sprites, and Glows. They just take no skill whatsoever. If new spriters spent more time on worthwhile methods like mixes, revamps, and even recolors instead of working on things which require hardly any work, they would become much better at spriting.

I agree with Modern Doorknob that people should have to get a Spriter's liscense before they are allowed to create a shop. The mods could issue some sort of standardized test or something.

I definately agree with you, TVTMaster, please add me to the list.

Also, I don't want anyone to think I'm flaming new spriters or anything. Heck, we were all new spriters at one time or another, it just takes practice to get better.

Disco_King
06-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Just so you know... you have shining empoleon on the list... I changed my username ;)