PDA

View Full Version : GaoGaiGar

SBaby
06-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I just started watching this little known Anime. It probably falls under the category of Giant Robot, since that seems to be the focus of the show.

Anyway, it's pretty cool. Plus, fans of robot Anime will notice alot of references and Anime in-jokes in the show. The ones I picked up are Evangelion, Sentai, Transformers and Gundam (definitely ALOT of Evangelion references). Anyway, here's the opening theme. It's the full version, but it shows almost everyone in the show. Definitely check it out if you like this type of thing.

GaoGaiGar Opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-umNZdIzc5Y)

Kenny_C.002
06-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Looks like a jokes series more than anything. :3

SBaby
06-05-2007, 07:32 PM
It really isn't. They just make alot of references to other Animes. Actually, it's a pretty cool series.

skiboydoggy
06-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Looks like a jokes series more than anything. :3
No, not really. GaoGaiGar is a show about courage overcoming all obstacles, and it actually is considered the best Super Robot Anime of the 90s, tying with the likes of Evangelion.

SBaby
06-06-2007, 12:49 AM
No, not really. GaoGaiGar is a show about courage overcoming all obstacles, and it actually is considered the best Super Robot Anime of the 90s, tying with the likes of Evangelion.

It's funny that you mentioned Evangelion. I started reading about the show on different Anime sites and apparently, alot of people consider it to be an unofficial successor to the Evangelion Anime. Personally, I think that's a bit of stretch, but at the very least the show is solid. It's big robots fighting aliens. Any kid watching it is gonna eat it up.

My theory as to its creation is that someone at Sunrise saw all the Gundam series' that had such hardcore heavy and often overly dramatic stories and got sick of it all. So they decided to make a more old-school robot Anime where the premise is all about kicking the crap out of the enemy in every episode. Like Sentai, but without the multi-colored suits.

And I think it works out great. It has an old school feel and definitely delivers plenty of bang for giant robot buffs out there. And even though the story is a bit strange at times (aliens being buried beneath Earth for years, sentient machines, etc...), they do explain and tie up things pretty well by giving brief scenes in the beginning of an episode explaining something about the world of GaoGaiGar. Eventually, you get the whole story that way, while at the same time the show isn't overly complex, as it's really just the good guys versus the bad guys for the whole time.

Not to mention, the fights are some of the coolest ever seen in robot Anime. I guarantee you that from the first gattai sequence, to the awesomely epic penultimate battle at the climax, which I won't spoil, giant robot fans will be hooked. Definitely check it out. It's well worth your time.

skiboydoggy
06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Eggs-actly.

Sunrise was all like "oh noez! Eva made robots eeemmoooo! Let's make an anime that would make Go Nagai proud!"

And thus, Yuusha-oh GaoGaiGar was born! And then it appeared in SRW@2 and owned things!
Then there was the OVA, which had Genesic GaoGaiGar, which was so much ownage in a can.

SBaby
06-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Eggs-actly.

Sunrise was all like "oh noez! Eva made robots eeemmoooo! Let's make an anime that would make Go Nagai proud!"

And thus, Yuusha-oh GaoGaiGar was born! And then it appeared in SRW@2 and owned things!
Then there was the OVA, which had Genesic GaoGaiGar, which was so much ownage in a can.

What's funny is that they actually had a dub going of about half the series, which I finally managed to catch a piece of on the tube. Here's the clip I watched from episode 1. It's a good clip to give you the jist of what the show's about without spoiling anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsmxvexkZHY

And check out Mamoru's voice. People on this site'll get a kick out of it.

It's too bad the dub was cancelled (I think it went to about episode 25 or 26), but there's talk now that Funimation might pick it up later on. So we'll see if that holds up.