PDA

View Full Version : YGO: Rate my Dark Paladin deck

Alakazam
10-22-2004, 01:44 AM
Since Dark Paladin is my favorite Duel Monster, I've decided to put together a deck around it:

Total Cards: 42

Monsters (21):
-3x: Dark Magician
-3x: Skilled Dark Magician
-3x: King of the Swamp
-3x: Troop Dragon
-3x: Masked Dragon
-2x: Luster Dragon (MFC-058)
-1x: Exiled Force
-1x: Witch of the Black Forest
-1x: Jinzo
-1x: Cyber Jar

Magic (14):
-3x: Polymerization
-3x: Mystical Space Typhoon
-3x: Gather Your Mind
-1x: Pot of Greed
-1x: Graceful Charity
-1x: Monster Reborn
-1x: Change of Heart
-1x: Diffusion Wave - Motion

Traps (7):
-3x: Draining Shield
-2x: Pitch Black Power Stone
-1x: Magic Cylinder
-1x: Waboku

Fusion Deck (3):
-2x: Dark Paladin

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Manjoume Jun
10-22-2004, 02:47 AM
Hmm... well, in general it looks pretty good, although I see Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon as being rather unnecessary in a DP-themed deck.

I'd recommend dropping the THTD, and all of the Thunder Dragons, but keep the third Polymerization just so that it's slightly easier to pull.

Perhaps adding a Double Coston or two to aid your DMs further, just in case a fusion doesn't seem as easy to pull off, because you gotta' remember, despite the deck seemingly revolving around DPs fusion, this concept alone can be extremely easy to shut down.
An example being either Spell Canceller or IO, so you've got to be aware of these problems so you have something to fall back on.

So, perhaps you could invest in a couple more DM-related cards as well, like a Thousand Knives, not much of a card, but it can come in handy in a deck of this kind.

You may even want to try out Dark Magician Knight and Knight's Title if you think you can support it, but then again, they ain't exactly amazing, plus you need the DM itself for the deck, but it's up to you.

It's good that you're using substitutes for Buster Blader, because it'ds be too out of place considering the already rather large amount of sacrifice-requiring monsters here.

But in general, not too bad... just try to protect yourself a little more from anti-fusion strategies, lol.

Alakazam
10-22-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Dan.

As you can see, this deck is stremlined to summon DP as quickly as possible. THTD is something to fall back on in-and-of itself, since it's an easier fusion to pull off than DP. I use Thunder Dragons for two reasons: 1) to thin my deck, raising the chances of getting DP out, and 2)getting dragons into my graveyard to pump DP. I think Thunder Dragons work very well with this deck; I doubt I'd ever summon them; I'd just use their effect.

I don't see any reason to take out THTD. It is in the Fusion deck, so it's not like my deck size would be smaller without it or that I could put another card in its place. If it helps me, than "great". If not, than no harm done, though I think it's a good plan B in case I can't get out DP.

Alright, now to address countering anti-fusion. Well, first off, this small deck has got both DP and Jinzo, who obviously provide me with free trap and limitless magic jammers. I've also got 3 MSTs to deal with any other pesky magic/traps. What more do you think I need for countering? And could you give me a few examples of what you mean by "anti-fusion" strategies? (other than the "De-Fusion" card, which I could jammer with DPs effect)

I don't want to add cards that help spellcasters for a few reasons:

-it would make the deck bigger, and lessen the speed and chances of summoning DP
-it would make the deck less focused

Though Thousand Knives would be good to have, there's only one monster in my deck that would have to be out to use it...I've got Exiled Force and Cyber Jar for monster destruction.

Also, do you really think I have a lot of high-level monsters? There's...

-Dark Magician: If he even hits the field, it'll most likely only be through Skilled Dark Magician's effect

-Jinzo

-Thunder Dragon: I'd never summon them. Period.

Manjoume Jun
10-22-2004, 03:38 AM
Well hey, you said you wanted "suggestions", so that's what I'm offering, suggestions.

It's just my opinion, I mean, if everything works out fine for you, then why are you even asking for help.

Sheesh, I may as well just not help anyone...

No respect...

Alakazam
10-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Well hey, you said you wanted "suggestions", so that's what I'm offering, suggestions.

It's just my opinion, I mean, if everything works out fine for you, then why are you even asking for help.

Sheesh, I may as well just not help anyone...

No respect...

Whoa, whoa...hang on; what's the matter? I respect your opinion, and I'm just trying to figure out how better to build my deck and what cards you would add to deal with anti-fusion.

I never said that this setup works for me...it hasn't even been tested yet.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I didn't intend to. :redface: :ermm:

And please don't stop helping people around here; that would most certainly not be good. -_- :wink:

Jet
10-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Lol yeah, screw the bannings (and yeah, ignore the thread where u're supposed to place the decks) XD

anyway, overall, nice deck... but I'm still troubled about the Thunder Dragons... sure, it's to boost up DP's ATK... but one thing is easier to bring out THTD without using Polymerization... METAMORPHOSIS... yeah, it seems a waste of space for just 1 fusion... so that's why add some more fusion... ur Skilled Darks can also get a boost from them =P as for the thunder dragons... y not settle for The Dragon Dwelling in the Cave instead? Or, in the Soul of the Duelist, Masked Dragon. And y don't u have Heart of Clear Water? Exiled Force + that is good XD. IT can also somehow let u have a decent wall first. I think Gather your Mind should be in the side deck at least... you have to make space for the Heart of Clear Water =P

Alakazam
10-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I don't understand what everyone has against Thunder Dragon...sure, it's a weak monster, but it also thins the deck. I figure that, with both Gather your Mind (which thins and provides counters for Skilled Dark) and Thunder Dragons thinning, there's a high possibility of getting DP out quickly. Should I really take them out?

I wanted to include The Dragon Dwelling in the Cave; I think that's an awesome card...however, I had four dragons in mind to use in the deck :Luster, Thunder, Troop, and ...Dwelling in the Cave. I don't have room for full playsets of all four, so I had to drop one of them. I wanted Luster for attack, and Thunder for Thinning, and Troop Dragon is far too useful to take out...so Cave Dwelling Dragon just had to go. I am sorry to see him go, but I think the other three dragons do more for the deck.

Heart of Clear Water? It'd really only be good for Troop Dragon and Exiled Force, and it doesn't help with my main goal: summon DP.

I will consider Metamorphasis though; the only reservations I have about using it is that I'd have to actually summon the monsters necessary to fuse. I don't think I have a monster that could Metamorphasis into DP...do I?

Lord Celebi
10-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Ok... *scratches head*
Where's Buster Blader? You need him to summon DP, but he's absent from your deck. Unless one of your cards is an 00ber card I dont know about that makes a magic BB token, I suggest adding Buster Blader.

Jet
10-25-2004, 05:56 AM
Rust: You don't need to have Buster Blader... as long as you have Dark Magician OR Buster Blader... then you can fuse them with King of the Swamp...

Zam: Sorry, but you CAN'T use Metamorphasis on DP... it says it can only be fusion summoned... so... Metamorphasis is for other extra fusion monsters u have XD... lol, Fusion Weapon might do good too =P As for the Thunder Dragons, yeah it's good for thinning out... IMO though, Masked Dragon is better... it can get Troop Dragon and Dragon Dwelling in the Cave out... and it also thins ur deck =P

so:

- You play facedown Masked Dragon
- opponent destroys it in battle.
- you search your deck for troop dragon.
- opponent destroys troop dragon in battle
- search your deck for troop dragon

or, DDIC (dragon in cave) for more defense... plus, it's not level 5 =P

as for Heart of Clear Water, it does kinda help, as long as Skilled DM in out =P
it's also for defense =P it can be placed on troop, Exiled, heck maybe if u place in DDIC, it makes a decent wall too.

So, yeah...

- 3x Thunder Dragon
+ 3x Masked Dragon

dunno where you can place the others though... and the Metamorphasis was kinda a bad idea >_<

Alakazam
10-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Jet, you've sold me on those Masked Dragons...not only do they thin, but they can be used for defense, which Thunder Dragons can't be. That'll save me the money it'd take to buy the Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon. :cool:

On DDIC: I really like that card, but I don't have room for it. I'd rather have a weaker dragon I can throw in DEF mode to defend and thin.

I'll think about Fusion Weapon...I'd love to have it, it's just that

-I don't what would be best to take out for it/them
-Whether using three of them would slow my deck down

akdude
11-02-2004, 03:49 PM
if u're deck revolves around a Dark Paladine, don't u think u should put in a Buster Blader? I mean, that's IS the only way to fuse to get Dark Paladine.

Alakazam
11-02-2004, 04:18 PM
if u're deck revolves around a Dark Paladine, don't u think u should put in a Buster Blader? I mean, that's IS the only way to fuse to get Dark Paladine.

No, that's not the only way to summon Dark Paladin. You can also summon him by fusing Dark Magician and a fusion sub, like King of the Swamp.

Manjoume Jun
11-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Firstly, I apologise for being such an ass in my previous post, I haven't been too well recently so I was kinda' cranky, but I'm fine and dandy now, so I'm happy, ^_^

Also, drop Waboku for Staunch Defender, much better card IMO.

Here's why:

Well, Staunch Defender in general works in a pretty similar way to Waboku, but it can work with a few cards in this specific deck, for example:

Dark Paladin - powerful monster, so just make your opponent ram everything he or she has at it, :P

Dark Magician - same reason, although due to the aim of this deck, you probably won't summon it, but ya' never know, lol

Cyber Jar - sometimes our little buddy here can screw you over by not giving you any monsters while your opponent gets 4 or 5 to pound at you with, so just activate Staunch when it's attacked, and your opponent won't be able to attack again afterwards because Staunch's target is gone

---

Anyways, what I meant by "anti-fusion tactics" was simply just cards that are gonna' hinder you actually getting DP onto the field, because in this day and age, Polymerization is seeing less use because of the effort required for a fusion monster to hit the field, and because of its vulnerability to a huge array of cards.

Well, I'm done, laterz!

Linkvscloud
11-07-2004, 05:16 AM
bravo, good job and your right about thunder dragon, i wouldnt either!! :biggrin:

Raine
11-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Keep the thunder dragons that way if they end up in the graveyard you can get Dark Paladin a good bonus of power.

Alakazam
11-07-2004, 09:51 PM
That was my reason for putting them in, however the Masked Dragons would also work well, and they could be set to stall as well, which is one thing the Thunder Dragons are terrible at doing, since they require a sacrifice.

Raine
11-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I just thought of a little something today while I was doing something and I'm surprised I didn't think of it earlier. Anyways, add in a card destruction. That way when you get alot of dragons in your hand that you don't need, then get them in the discard pile. Thus you'll draw as many cards as you already have in your hand, then you'll be that much closer to Dark Paladin.

But I just don't remember weather you already had one in your deck or not. :oops:

Jet
11-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Heh, I see that the deck is changed... ^_^

Other good cards:

Fusion Weapon - not that many dragons? equip him!

Double Spell - Who knows =P

Hidden Book of Spell - Recycle like crap =P

Oh yeah, you CAN metamorphasize DP... problem is, you don't have a level 8 monster... maybe Enemy Controller or Change of Heart them XP

Manjoume Jun
12-03-2004, 03:19 AM
BTW, another problem with Thunder Dragons, they will NOT in fact power DP up because they are Thunder-types, not Dragon-types, which is annoying...

Still, I stand by my suggestion on replacing Waboku with Staunch Defender, helpful card, ^_^

Alakazam
12-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Dan, Thunder Dragon ARE dragons...Thunder/Dragon. :wink:

Fusion Weapon...interesting, but should I take out a bunch of dragons for it? I'll think about monster control.

Manjoume Jun
12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
-_-
Yes, yes, very funny... but like I said, Thunder-type, won't work...

Also, neither will Fusion Weapon... it can only be equipped to Fusion monsters of level 6 or less, and last time I checked, Paladin was level 8.

Alakazam
12-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Dan, you're right about the Fusion Weapon (sorry, Jet...it would 've been a sweet addition if DP was lv. 6 >_<)

But, I'm not kidding about the Thunder Dragon IT DOES WORK.

"Thunder" is a type, like Dark, Fire, Light, Water

"Dragon" is an attribute, like Fiend, Plant, Warrior, Pyro, Spellcaster, etc.

Thunder Dragon IS Thunder/Dragon

Manjoume Jun
12-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh my god, I cannot believe how wrong that is, Thunder is NOT an attribute, it's a type.

The six attributes are Dark, Light, Fire, Water, Wind and Earth.

The twenty types are Dragon, Beast-Warrior, Fairy, Fish, Aqua, Spellcaster, Beast, Insect, Sea Serpent, Pyro, Zombie, Winged Beast, Dinosaur, Machine, Rock, Warrior, Fiend, Reptile, Thunder and Plant. And no one monster has two of these twenty types.

Here's the lowdown on Thunder Dragon for you:

Thunder Dragon
Attribute: Light
Type: Thunder/Effect
Level 5
ATK/1600 DEF/1500
Discard this card from your hand to the Graveyard to add up to 2 "Thunder Dragon" cards from your Deck to your hand. Your Deck is then shuffled. This effect is activated only during a Main Phase.

I mean, this is textbook stuff.

Alakazam
12-03-2004, 11:49 PM
*smashes self in head with 500K pound sledge hammer*

Right...I don't know what I was thinking. -_- >_< :silenced:

Manjoume Jun
12-03-2004, 11:57 PM
lol, it's okay, it happens.

Anyways, I'm just gonna' emphasise my previous point of using Staunch Defender, because it's handy!

It'd be even better with Final Attack Orders, but then that would be taking things for the deck a little too far, and with the way it looks now, too many changes would just ruin it...

But Staunch Defender is ultimately superior to Waboku.

Alakazam
12-04-2004, 12:16 AM
Hmm...I may a Staunch Defender, but it can't repalce Waboku...since Waboku can stop damage if I don't have any monsters on the field.

Manjoume Jun
12-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Yeah, that's a good point though...

How about Negate Attack? Just don't let 'em have a Battle Phase at all, lol.

Also, is the current decklist in the first post up to date with any changes?
I just wanna' give it another look.

Alakazam
12-04-2004, 12:42 AM
I, unfortunately, may have to cancel the construction of this deck...I simply can't afford it. It's gonna cost me about $40 to get 2 DPs, $15 to get 3 Polymerizations, at least $15 for the MSTs, $10 for King of the Swamps, $25+ for the Dark Magicians...it's just too much.

*sigh* I was really excited about this deck >_< X_X

And yes, the decklist on the first page is fully updated.

Manjoume Jun
12-04-2004, 12:46 AM
Heh, I didn't know you were ACTUALLY gonna' build this deck, but perhaps you can use it on YVD... if you use YVD that is.

Alakazam
12-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Yeah...I was gonna try.

And I do use YVD, though I don't have it currently. I'm waiting for the next stabel version to come out...the only downloadable exe right now is the beta version, which doesn't work on my computer.