PDA

View Full Version : Pokerus Guide

Drift
06-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Intro
I've seen some people on the forums who have had trouble with Pokerus, in terms of catching the virus, spreading it, and finding out if you have it or not.
So, I'll just write up a quickie guide that I hope will anwser all the basic questions about the Pokerus virus.
NOTE: Sorry if there already was a guide for this! I didn't happen to see one and just wanted to help out. :wink:

The Virus
Pokerus is a virus that can be caught from a Pokemon in the wild. This happens when a Pokemon of yours battles a wild Pokemon and comes into physical contact with it. But, catching this virus is rare by all means. However, with Wi-Fi and the GTS now as big parts of Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, the Pokerus virus is insanely common.

Knowing If A Pokemon In Your Party Has The Virus
Once you get the virus, you may not know at first. A message does not pop up if your Pokemon has been infected by a wild Pokemon.
When you visit a Pokemon Center, Nurse Joy will tell you that it appears your Pokemon may be infected with Pokerus. She will only tell you this the first time you heal a Pokemon with Pokerus. Every other time she will not tell you, so you'll have to keep checking yourself.
To check if your Pokemon is infected with the virus, it is quite simple. Just go to it's summary.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/liquidpixel/HPIM5281.jpg
Displayed next to the Pokemon's level will be a violet rectangle with PKRS written inside of it. This means that your Pokemon currently has the virus.

The Life-Span Of Pokerus And Spreading The Virus While It Lasts
A Pokemon infected with Pokerus will only have the virus for 1-4 days. In this time period, the growth of the Pokemon will be exceptional - it's stats will grow much higher per level than they would be regularly leveling up.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d92/liquidpixel/HPIM5280.jpg
After the virus has past, a small "smiley face" will be placed on the Pokemon's summary, in the lower right corner of the area that the Pokemon's picture is in.
This "smiley" indicates that the Pokemon once has Pokerus, and cannot be infected again. It also indicates that this Pokemon will continue to have outstanding stat growth once the Pokemon's virus has passed. (This has yet to be confirmed, but multiple sources state that it is true, including myself with my personal training.)

Within this short time, you'll want to spread the virus to as many Pokemon as possible. I'll try and explain how to spread the virus in as simple a way possible.
* All Pokemon infected will be displayed in red.
What we want to do, is place the infected Pokemon in the third slot of your party.
1 2
3 4
5 6
Then, go into a battle with any trainer or a wild Pokemon.
Make sure that during the battle, the first Pokemon in your party does not faint and lasts throughout the entire battle. Also, do not switch out the lead Pokemon at all during the battle. Use the Pokemon in the 1st slot through the whole battle. (I can't emphasize this enough.)
It may take a few battles with a trainer or wild Pokemon, but after a successful "infection", as I like to call it, the virus should be distributed through your party like this:
1 2
3 4
5 6
So, basically, the virus will spread to Pokemon "touching" the Pokemon originally infected with the virus.
Now you can move your party around to infect the entire party if you wish.
Please remember you have to keep checking the summaries of your Pokemon to see if they are infected. You won't find out otherwise.

Suspending The Virus And Preserving It
Because this virus lasts only a short time, you may want to preserve one Pokemon with the virus so that you may infect other Pokemon in the future, since Pokerus is an ideal way to train Pokemon quickly and turn them into powerhouses.
To do this, all you have to do is deposit a Pokemon infected with the virus into your PC. The virus will then go into a suspended state for as long as you like. Then once you take it out, it will commence the countdown to the virus' departure.
Please note that the infected Pokemon WILL NOT infect other Pokemon in the same PC Box.

Conclusion And Credits
I hope this helped everyone out and gave a greater understanding of the virus known as Pokerus. :wink:
All credit goes to me. xD Pictures taken by myself, starring my lovely Alakazam Seishin, and my awesome Lucario Kouken.
Thanks everyone. :wink: And if you have any questions or comments, please reply to this post, or feel free to PM me.

MYSTERIOUS MISSINGNO
06-09-2007, 05:15 PM
u forgot that even with the smiley face, it still gets the benefits.

Drift
06-09-2007, 05:23 PM
u forgot that even with the smiley face, it still gets the benefits.

Oh, does it really? I didn't even know that! Thanks. :wink:

MustangGT
06-09-2007, 05:27 PM
i dont believe that, my whole party has that and they are growing normally

Drift
06-09-2007, 05:29 PM

They're growing normally with the smiley?

EDIT; Actually, mine are growing normally, too...
I'm going to keep it out of the guide until someone can provide a source for that information.

Legend Master
06-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes, I believe that Pokemon do grow normally with the smiley, mine do as well.

I'm pretty sure the smiley is there as a sign that it had Pokerus and can't get
it back, just like the black square in R/S/E that goes in the same place.

MustangGT
06-09-2007, 05:43 PM
all the smiley tells u is that the pokemon had the virus and has recovered T.T from it and can never get it again, its just like the lil black dot, cuz i transferred a exploud that had had the virus and gotten over it, so it had the dot, he got to pearl and had the smily

Drift
06-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, I believe that Pokemon do grow normally with the smiley, mine do as well.

I'm pretty sure the smiley is there as a sign that it had Pokerus and can't get
it back, just like the black square in R/S/E that goes in the same place.

That's what I thought.
I'll just add that bit into the guide.

Lucario99
06-09-2007, 06:22 PM
I think it just speeds up their growth, they get more EXP.
My Dialga got it at level 87 and I leveled it to 90 in less than an hour. Usually it would take an hour for one level.

ASHv7
06-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Again can u make it bigger i cant read this small rext it hurts my eyes.......

DeidarasClay
06-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Great guide; I love it. Very well put together.

Drift
06-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I think it just speeds up their growth, they get more EXP.
My Dialga got it at level 87 and I leveled it to 90 in less than an hour. Usually it would take an hour for one level.

All I know is that Pokerus makes the growth of your stats more rapid. But I guess it might affect level growth as well...

DeidarasClay
06-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes, it does, I've had it before, I can tell you honestly it does.

MYSTERIOUS MISSINGNO
06-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Yes, it does, I've had it before, I can tell you honestly it does.
No, in G/S/C it improved exp.

Only EVS GAINED ARE IMPROVED. So once you max out evs, nothing will happen even if you did have pokerus.

Having the smiley still improves EVs, it was that in R/S/E and it is still true in D/P, the proof is in the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald FAQ on Serebiiforums.com, i'd post a link, but SPPF isn't working for me right now

Legend Master
06-09-2007, 07:49 PM
No, in G/S/C it improved exp.

Only EVS GAINED ARE IMPROVED. So once you max out evs, nothing will happen even if you did have pokerus.

Having the smiley still improves EVs, it was that in R/S/E and it is still true in D/P, the proof is in the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald FAQ on Serebiiforums.com, i'd post a link, but SPPF isn't working for me right now

People Mysterious Missingno is CORRECT.

It only DOUBLES EV'S, and nothing else. My Darkrai is done EV training, and it still has
Pokerus, so it WILL NOT do anything to it. It doesn't make experience go faster.
I'VE TESTED IT.

However, what I disagree about what MM said, is that the smiley still
helps your stats. I REALLY don't think that it does, it means that it's DONE
with Pokerus. It went away, it can't spread, it doesn't double EV's anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the last part.

Ancient Darkrai
06-09-2007, 08:11 PM

It only DOUBLES EV'S, and nothing else. My Darkrai is done EV training, and it still has
Pokerus, so it WILL NOT do anything to it. It doesn't make experience go faster.
I'VE TESTED IT.

you are wrong I've tested EV training when pokerus has left the pokemon it still gets double EVs

MYSTERIOUS MISSINGNO
06-09-2007, 08:13 PM
you are wrong I've tested EV training when pokerus has left the pokemon it still gets double EVs

that's what i said -_-

Ancient Darkrai
06-09-2007, 09:10 PM
that's what i said -_-
yeah but they were saying you were wrong I was backing you up with proof cause I have done it

MYSTERIOUS MISSINGNO
06-09-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah but they were saying you were wrong I was backing you up with proof cause I have done it
Oh, then thank-you ^_^! Sorry if I came accross rude....

Drift
06-09-2007, 09:17 PM

I'VE TESTED IT.

Thanks for clearing that up.
I thought that it only helped EVs.
And I really wasn't sure about the smiley...
Well, I was, but then MM brought up the whole thing and I got confused. XD
So, thanks Legend Master. :wink:

FirePwnsRock
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
:happy:good guide
i only have one question, does it just double ev. or does it also give higher stats when ev?

Lord Voldemort
06-11-2007, 09:59 PM

It doubles the EVs, not the experience. It's just of consequence is you're EV training.

Zigzagoon22
06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
4 years ago.I has deleted all pokemon with PKRS!:sad:I thought it was a bad virus!:susp:

Draxai
06-14-2007, 02:02 AM
wait wait wait...

ONCE AND FOR ALL... does the pokerus still have its effect after it is gone and replaced with a smiley?

Kenny_C.002
06-14-2007, 11:04 PM
from gamefaqs:

Under the Pokemon's picture on the left, it will say "Status: PRKS" if
it is currently able to infect others and gain double EVs. If you see a
tiny black dot under the Pokemon's picture, then it can still gain
double EVs but cannot be used to infect others.

It's very unlikely that this is changed from R/S/E to D/P.

Draxai
06-14-2007, 11:10 PM
tiny black dot? does that mean the smiley?

Drift
06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
wait wait wait...

ONCE AND FOR ALL... does the pokerus still have its effect after it is gone and replaced with a smiley?

I'd really like someone to confirm this.
So far, I didn't even mention this in my guide. But on this thread, people seem to be bickering back and forth about it.
If someone can provide evidence, pics, vids, etc. I'd love to see them.

Draxai
06-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Pokérus is cured after 24 hours on the party from the time of infection; Pokémon cannot be cured of Pokérus if left in a PC box or are traded to Pokémon Stadium 2 or Pokémon Box. Once Pokérus' effects end, the host develops an immunity to it and it can no longer be transmitted. However, the accelerated stat growth remains, the Pokémon only loses the ability to spread it.

excerpt from wikipedia. here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_game_features (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_game_features)

im not sure if its right, wikipedia is not always right.

Drift
06-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Pokérus is cured after 24 hours on the party from the time of infection; Pokémon cannot be cured of Pokérus if left in a PC box or are traded to Pokémon Stadium 2 or Pokémon Box. Once Pokérus' effects end, the host develops an immunity to it and it can no longer be transmitted. However, the accelerated stat growth remains, the Pokémon only loses the ability to spread it.

excerpt from wikipedia. here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_game_features (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_game_features)

im not sure if its right, wikipedia is not always right.

Since then, time lengths, and such, have changed.
This is a guide for Pokerus in Diamond & Pearl.

But in terms of stat growth, I think it may be true.
The other day I was training my shiny team (which mostly all of them have the :| smiley face) and they were all still getting +2 and beyond on their stats, which isn't normal.

Therefore, for the time being, I'm going to believe this is true.

magentaman
06-15-2007, 01:26 PM
well there are people saying they tested it (including myself) and the effects, still stay after it gets the smiley. (i try to think of the smiley as it saying 'yay, i gain evs fast') i ev tained infernape after he had the smiley as if he was still getting the effects of pokerus and when my training was complete i received the effort ribbon in sunnyshore so i know that you still gain double evs

what i want to know is if he pokerus doubles the effects of the power items. (lens weight etc) i've seen people saying both and nobodies managed to prove it

Lord Voldemort
06-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Doubled EVs has been the whole point of PokeRus. It's not worth making the guide if you don't say that.

Draxai
06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
i know macho brace gives you double EV's so if you have PKRS and macho brace you get 4x the EV's... im not sure about otehr growth items though, sorry.

Drift
06-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Doubled EVs has been the whole point of PokeRus. It's not worth making the guide if you don't say that.

I stated, like, 10 times in the guide that it double stats... :eh: So I'm guessing I did say it...

I don't know, so many people have brought up all this stuff, and this is just a basic run down of Pokerus. I just made the guide because so many people were confused as to what it is at all, and how to see if their Pokemon had it... :confused:

Draxai
06-15-2007, 11:43 PM
i think what he meant is that even after the PKRS is gone and the smiley is in the corner you still get double EVs, otherwise, pokerus would basically be pointless

Drift
06-16-2007, 12:07 AM
i think what he meant is that even after the PKRS is gone and the smiley is in the corner you still get double EVs, otherwise, pokerus would basically be pointless

Oh, alright.
Well, I put that in the guide yesterday.

Tory vs Meaty II
06-16-2007, 09:42 PM
I know how I got Pokerus, and I got it so quickly, I was using that Macho Brace alot.

Draxai
06-17-2007, 01:53 AM
I know how I got Pokerus, and I got it so quickly, I was using that Macho Brace alot.
what? you dont get pokerus from using the macho brace, you either get it in a trade or from a 1 in a milllion chance that you catch it off some wild pokemon.

Tory vs Meaty II
06-17-2007, 02:14 AM
what? you dont get pokerus from using the macho brace, you either get it in a trade or from a 1 in a milllion chance that you catch it off some wild pokemon.

I really did, I use Torterra in the Pokemon Elite with the Macho Brace, until Lv.100, one week later, Pokerus, I pass it to Garchomp, and so on. Or you may be right, I can't belive I got in May 6.

magentaman
06-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I really did, I use Torterra in the Pokemon Elite with the Macho Brace, until Lv.100, one week later, Pokerus, I pass it to Garchomp, and so on. Or you may be right, I can't belive I got in May 6.
yeah youjus got it by chance, as did i on sapphire... without realising so when i finally noticed the balck dots next to my pkeballs i got really worried as to what they were

The Admiral GiMoo
07-23-2007, 04:06 PM
i only have 34 pokemon infected out of 193. and all the infected pokes r in the sam box. i separated them becasue i thought that it was dangerous to spread it becasue it might ruin the game. so tahnks for the guide.

Todd6
07-24-2007, 08:26 AM
This is really good.

SunshineWingull
08-04-2007, 10:49 PM
...Does Pokerus still have any affect if the Pokemon's EVs are maxed out? And is the chance of getting it the same chance of getting a Shiny naturally?

Drift
08-05-2007, 02:01 AM
...Does Pokerus still have any affect if the Pokemon's EVs are maxed out? And is the chance of getting it the same chance of getting a Shiny naturally?

If they are maxed out then no. :eh:
i.e., if it's Lv. 100 and has/had Pokerus, then no more stats will be gained, since it can't level up.
I think you can get a bit luckier with finding Pokerus in the wild than a shiny, but it is still rare. :confused:

Tokoro
08-05-2007, 02:54 AM
if you get your 510 EV points and then catch pokerus, it wont do anything for that pokemon. the only reason it'd be nice to have it is to spread to other pokemon. other then that it's useless for a pokemon that got max EV points already^^

PaPeRpLaNe
08-06-2007, 02:43 AM
The facts I'm stating have been confirmed and tested:

PokeRus is found when you battle wild Pokemon.

PokeRus wears off, it causes the Pokemon to have an immunity to it. Pokemon with this immunity will continue to grow naturally

PokeRus works the same as Macho Brace, doubling EV's.

Tory vs Meaty II
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Everyone, you DO NOT have to get it only from wild Pokemon. You can get it randomly from the Pokemon you have weeks later.

SunshineWingull
08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
if you get your 510 EV points and then catch pokerus, it wont do anything for that pokemon. the only reason it'd be nice to have it is to spread to other pokemon. other then that it's useless for a pokemon that got max EV points already^^

Then I gotta use stat-dropping Berries and pray my Shiny Absol gets it... :pray:

My mom and I got Pokerus, like, a million times in G/S/C. And I've found 4 natural Shinies and no Pokerus in LG/FR/R/S/E/P yet... (Don't have Diamond so it's not up there...)

apocalypse_r
06-28-2008, 02:23 AM
when a pokemon becomes infected with the pokerus, its EV's grow at double the normal rate. The effects continue even after the pokemon recovers, but it cannot spread it.

suprra_girl
07-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Had a couple of questions, i've read rather extensively on this virus since receiving it but haven't found the answer to one of my questions and not confirmed on the other.

1. I spread the virus to 4 of my party and within 15-20 mins / 5-8000 steps they had been cured. Does it run out after a certain amount of steps? I keep seeing it lasts for 24hours etc but this was not the case with mine. Can't get much training in if that's only how long it lasts lol.

2. Does the time when pokemon are stored in boxes with pkrs reset or does it continue from it's last count?

On a side note, i believe my luxray is still receiving higher stats even after it has been cured so i believe it does continue once cured.

I have 7 pokemon with pkrs stored in boxes and i want to spread it but i'm worried about it running out quickly.

lemongirl
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
My pokemon has never caught any Pokerus before not even if I catch a new pokemon from the wild ! Weird pokemon !!! LOL!!!!:sleepy::oops:

suprra_girl
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
My pokemon has never caught any Pokerus before not even if I catch a new pokemon from the wild ! Weird pokemon !!! LOL!!!!:sleepy::oops:
I can send you a poke with pkrs if you want :)

jens25
07-24-2008, 04:09 PM
does anyone know were is a good place to get pkrus

Dark Turtwig
07-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Did you even read the guide? You can't just go get pokerus, you have to get a pokemon with pokerus, and spread it. There are no "good places" to get it. It's completely random. Or, you could just have someone on this forum trade you a pokemon with pokerus, and then spread it to your other pokemon..

Mewsa
10-20-2008, 06:26 PM
What I want to know is how to get a pokemon with the pokerus to start off with, I've never seen one. I have firered and diamond, so if none of your pokemon have the virus how do you get it, it'd be a real help in evolving my dragonair...

Light_Sky
11-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a answer...PKrus is a virus as we all know. The only chance of getting it is 1 out of 1,000,000 chance or 1 out of 1,000 (not to sure). But theres another way to get it with a 99 % chance. Yes, you have to use a action replay if you make the pokemon you can select it on pokesav. And If you put something with pkrus in your party it will spread. Also It won't help evovle dragonair. Dragonair evovles at level 55 just a heads up. :surp:

Peace Buyer
11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
so thats wat my glaceon had
(befor a rat stole my game chip >=( darn rat!!!!!!!!!)
but how do u get it?

Light_Sky
12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
so thats wat my glaceon had
(befor a rat stole my game chip >=( darn rat!!!!!!!!!)
but how do u get it?
Dude read my post jeez. It's a 1 out of 1,000 Chance :confused:

atucker22
12-13-2008, 11:04 AM
The smiley I'm pretty sure is if someone likes the trainer

Light_Sky
12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
The smiley I'm pretty sure is if someone likes the trainer

No it means they have had pokerus and have been cured and can't get it again.

Iodine_X
07-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Is there any guide on how best to catch Pokérus?
I've been hearing about it since Gold and still haven't caught it...Now I've really gotten serious about EV training, I'm interested xD
Think about it though, I like Special Sweepers a lot, hence I make a lot of trips to the Old Chateau...
If I battled Haunter which is +2 SpA EVs, with Macho Brace and Pokérus...
Oh whoah. I really want that virus xDDD

-Pichu Boy-
08-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Is there any guide on how best to catch Pokérus?
I've been hearing about it since Gold and still haven't caught it...Now I've really gotten serious about EV training, I'm interested xD
Think about it though, I like Special Sweepers a lot, hence I make a lot of trips to the Old Chateau...
If I battled Haunter which is +2 SpA EVs, with Macho Brace and Pokérus...
Oh whoah. I really want that virus xDDD

This got revived twice x.x

Pokerus is completely random. There is no 'best way' to get it. If you do get it, only then is there a 'best way' for your other mons to get it - spread it in the way Drift put in the guide.

z3r0
09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Wow I didn't know there was such a thing lol
Thanks for telling

Pokemonmaster107
09-11-2009, 07:55 PM
One day i was playing my gameboy advance sp i arrived at the fire gym town(forgot name) and i went to heal. The nurse said i had pokerus and i went to check my grovle was infected.what happens when you have it:ermm:

jeebus4life
09-12-2009, 12:28 AM
thanks for the guide about pokerus

xAshPwnzx
09-12-2009, 10:34 AM
One day i was playing my gameboy advance sp i arrived at the fire gym town(forgot name) and i went to heal. The nurse said i had pokerus and i went to check my grovle was infected.what happens when you have it:ermm:

Um... Why don't you read the 1st post.. xD

xAshPwnzx

Lord Fedora
09-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I didn't look at the time stamps so I didn't realize the thread was so old, but I saw a question earlier and I looked it up.

The odds of finding a Shiny Pokemon in the wild are 8 in 65536.

The odds of finding a Pokemon with Pokerus in the wild are 3 in 65536.

So Pokerus is actually rarer than Shinies.

Mr420
12-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Drift I want to let you know that you might want to edit the guide at some point and here is the link explaining why..

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90180&page=16

To reiterate I want to add that I believe the PKRS virus is in a suspended animation when your infected pokemon come in direct contact with a trainer during the Doubles meet up in the game D/P/P (althought Im only playing and applying this rule to Platinum) I will infect another set of pokemon in a different game card Platinum and test out my theory at the Mt Coronet meet up with what's her name? PKMN trainer Cheryl?
Anywey I can further add that during the infection process I have discovered in gameplay my DSi system had to get send in for warranty stuff issues but after the fact I managed to continue my training an the PKRS virus is still active.

Last but not least what Im trying to say is sure the PKRS virus has a life span like all other things but its life span can be extended to serve your purpose (provided that if you do meet up with your double battle trainer and move backwards instead of forward in the game you should still put your your infected pokemon into your PC if you wish to keep the virus active at a later time) Have fun with pokerus! :thpoke_177: