PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery of Violence in America

Alakazam
10-31-2004, 11:20 AM
Something that has always intruiged me is the fact that violence is such a huge issue in America. Why is this? Is it the entertianment we are innundated with? Does it have to do with the second amemndment? Is it just in our blood?

Thanatos
10-31-2004, 12:07 PM
I think its basically through being desensitized. The world is much more violent then it used to be, or moreso, it's as violent as ever, and now it has the media to cover it.

We see it more and deal with it more.

This is the reasons humans will fall as the top of the food chain. We will kill eachother. :susp:

Alakazam
10-31-2004, 12:09 PM
So do you think that it has to do with our information media?

It is true that we live in tumultuous times, but most other countries don't have the problem with violence that we have in this country.

Tamer Marco
10-31-2004, 01:11 PM
My opinon is that we're more advanced than ALL other countries. We've had a lot of things happen to us in this country, and we're basicly prone to wanting to know about violence. We kill thousands of people each day, and the media can cover about every single one of those thousand in one day. To put it like this, we've started plenty of wars, and gotten into wars that weren't our fight. This entire country likes violence.

Alakazam
10-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Very true. Much of our entertainment is violence or at least violent. The whole reason our media covers violence so extensively is because it will boost ratings.

However, many of the conflicts we have started aren't exactly publicized...the US has troops in dozens of countries across the world at any given time. Also, this problem existed before 9/11. I'm not sure whether that would have increased the affinity for violence; it seems to me like an event like that would do just the opposite.

Tamer Marco
10-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Right, and the only reason why we're in a fight in Iraq is because of Bush. He and the Iraqi's are too close, and he gave them the Weapons of Mass destruction(or at least, that's what I heard). It's really not about the World Trade Center. Bush knew that it was going to be bombed, and it was bombed before. Also, most people crave violence in thier everyday lives. I need to watch wrestling whenever it comes on. To make another point, everything in this country started with violence.

Kenny_C.002
10-31-2004, 03:19 PM
One has to consider the culture of America to begin with. Notice that the amount of ppl who actually own their own guns for "safety" purposes. Worst yet, registering at a bank will net you a rifle or two. With such an ease of access to weaponry, and the fact that violence (and sex) sells, it's no wonder that most of us are in violent times.

But why? You don't see such high murder ratings in ANY country (We talking at least 100 times country #2 here). Why does America get so much violence? I seriously can't answer it. Maybe it's the violence that's getting to everyone's head (I doubt it, since Canada isn't getting such high murder ratings). Maybe it's the acessibilities of the weapons (likely, we can't get guns that easily). Maybe it's because of the ammunition that can be bought from the countertop. I don't know. Whatever it is, America is just...killing more with the same amount of exposure to violence as nearly any other country.

Alakazam
10-31-2004, 07:39 PM
One has to consider the culture of America to begin with. Notice that the amount of ppl who actually own their own guns for "safety" purposes. Worst yet, registering at a bank will net you a rifle or two. With such an ease of access to weaponry, and the fact that violence (and sex) sells, it's no wonder that most of us are in violent times.

But why? You don't see such high murder ratings in ANY country (We talking at least 100 times country #2 here). Why does America get so much violence? I seriously can't answer it. Maybe it's the violence that's getting to everyone's head (I doubt it, since Canada isn't getting such high murder ratings). Maybe it's the acessibilities of the weapons (likely, we can't get guns that easily). Maybe it's because of the ammunition that can be bought from the countertop. I don't know. Whatever it is, America is just...killing more with the same amount of exposure to violence as nearly any other country.

I can tell you've seen Bowling for Columbine. Are weapons really that much more accessible in the US? Surely there must be gun and ammo shops and Canada; there is quite a bit of hunsting up your way, isn't there? I'm defending having weapons for safety int his country; I happen to be for the complete abolition of the 2nd ammendment.

Kenny_C.002
11-01-2004, 01:58 AM
I can tell you've seen Bowling for Columbine. Are weapons really that much more accessible in the US? Surely there must be gun and ammo shops and Canada; there is quite a bit of hunsting up your way, isn't there? I'm defending having weapons for safety int his country; I happen to be for the complete abolition of the 2nd ammendment.

We also have a gun act that requires registration of the guns when bought up front (ie type in the name, everything about its owner is shown. Anyone shooting anyone is screwed. lol), and all ammo purchases are accounted for in that same gun act, apparently. And yes, it's much more accessible in the US. I don't recall seeing any gun shops in downtown Toronto yet, so that might be a sign in itself.

But yeah, Michael kinda made us look like an urban utopia tho...

ashkelon
11-01-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure you can make a generalization about all American's taste in violence by looking at TV. I'm always amazed that anybody would want to invest that much of their emotional energy in situations and shows that are unreal (or of dubious reality). Am I in the minority that can still get up off their butt and turn it off when it sickens (or bores) me?

I'm not invested in watching crap and gore (or date-my-inbred-family shows), especially when you know the focus is really selling <gack> "feminine hygeine products".

Networks show on TV what it takes to keep people tuned in, at least people that the demographics show have disposable income. They took roller derby off tv when advertisers figured out only the institutionalized watched it.

Most of the USA isn't Cabrini Green, and I walked all over Chicago's near north side (Logan Square, Humboldt Park) with my dogs in the middle of the night for years and never even got hassled.

I can believe there's a butt load of "neighborhood" violence that goes on in Thailand, India, etc, but it won't sell many American Express cards, so you ain't gonna see it here... But American violence sells everywhere.

Alakazam
11-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes, violence certainly does sell. Sad, isn't it?

DancinPurpleNinetales
11-01-2004, 08:54 PM
true america is really violent and some seem to be obbssesed with it but there r far more dangerous places in the world, i lived in north long beach and compton, supposdly really bad ghettos rite? and i am white on top of that and was never in trouble...the thing that worries me about americans is that they dont slow down! maybe its tied to the violence...? i uno :eh:

Kenny_C.002
11-02-2004, 12:16 AM
We'll see, but this type of insatialbe appetite is not just America alone. See the Roman empire (oh crap, it's the Roman empire...again).

Matthew
11-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Something that has always intruiged me is the fact that violence is such a huge issue in America. Why is this? Is it the entertianment we are innundated with? Does it have to do with the second amemndment? Is it just in our blood?

Don't yell at me if it has been said already... I haven't read all of the posts.... but I think there is so much violence in America becuase there is so much freedom... like the right for anybody over the age of 18 to own a gun... (2nd amendmant)

My gov't teacher told me that the violence/crime rate is so low in Japan because guns are illegal to own, unless you are a cop, and only 9 citizens own one... the olympic shooting team... or so I have heard.

Alakazam
11-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Don't yell at me if it has been said already... I haven't read all of the posts.... but I think there is so much violence in America becuase there is so much freedom... like the right for anybody over the age of 18 to own a gun... (2nd amendmant)

My gov't teacher told me that the violence/crime rate is so low in Japan because guns are illegal to own, unless you are a cop, and only 9 citizens own one... the olympic shooting team... or so I have heard.

I know what you mean; obtaining firearms in the US is MUCH too easy.