PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Age

Lord Mullet
11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Way Downunda in New Zealand, the drinking/purchasing age is 18, but children can drink at any age if under the supervision of a parent or caregiver. What do you think of this? Is it too young? The supervision thing seems reckless in my opinion, given the number of 'deadbeat' parents I know who wouldn't care what their children did.

Thanatos
11-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it's the same DOWN UNDER in AUSTRALIA (this is an aussie term, not a new zealand term, we are the country down under, not you).

I think it's fine. But this is just the way I have been brought up.

Legal ages always are a big issue among countries. I mean, Americans can get their licenses, at 16 (maybe 15, don't remember), so ya know, it's just a difference.

Another thing I would like to add to your post, the supervision thing is only in the privacy of your own home. It is illegal to drink in public even with a caregiver (I think).

Alakazam
11-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Do I think that 18 is too low for the drinking age (in Autralia / New Zealand)? I can't really answer that question, because I'm not familiar with that culture, and how teens act down there.

However, I am certain that 18 is far too low to be a drinking age in the US. The drinking age in America is 21 right now, and I think that it's an absolute minimum. The other thing is, its pretty much a joke over here. Except for th police, most people don't care if kids 16-18 drink. In my opinion, the drinking age should be raised again (it was 18 at some point). Why? Because, the vast majority of American teens are very irresponsible when it comes to alcohol, and only drink to get drunk. They often drink so much that they either pass out or just die. They also often get behind the wheel of a car while or after drinking. American teens just aren't mature enough to have the right to drink. Period.

Seven
11-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Here in the Netherlands, you're allowed to drink alcohol when you're 16 (without supervision). That only includes light-alcoholic drinks...When you're 18, you're allowed to drink everything :o.

ashkelon
11-05-2004, 01:53 PM
We were brought up with alcohol freely available. We started drinking by tasting our parents' drinks, and could have anything we wanted to try. Later we used to play "bartender" and mix horrible concoctions of things like triple sec, amoretto and galliano, with wine. :eek:

We learned from that what it felt like to get loaded; what it felt like to be too loaded; how to drink and quit before we were loaded; and other appropiate drinking behaviour. By the time my friends were going all wild and sneaking booze, my brothers and I knew what it was all about and pretty much had a cold beer after mowing the lawn, or a drink after dinner with the folks, but didn't have any desire to get rotten drunk on cheap wine at the gravel pit. :crackup:

It's prolly true it worked in my family because (although there are some alcoholics in my ancestry) my parents were responsible drinkers and drinking was totally de-mystified at home.

But then, we were freely exposed to firearms too, learned to handle them correctly at an early age (I started target shooting before I could stand w/o leaning on my Dad's leg), and none of us woulda pointed a gun at anything we didn't intend to shoot....

So I think early exposure with responsible adults was OK here.

Dragonair
11-05-2004, 02:10 PM
However, I am certain that 18 is far too low to be a drinking age in the US.

Well if you can go to war at 18 you should be able to drink.

Ierdar
11-05-2004, 03:09 PM
It is too young, IMO. Your brain doesn't stop developing until about 20, 21, 22. At any age, even 18 or 30, it can really screw up your brain. =\ Especially when you're younger.

JohtoTrainer
11-06-2004, 12:10 AM
You always get drunker easier and act worse when you're younger, I'm no LIbertarian, so I wouldn't mind it if Alcohol was abolished completeyl, which it has before.

Dragonair
11-06-2004, 01:16 AM
You always get drunker easier and act worse when you're younger, I'm no LIbertarian, so I wouldn't mind it if Alcohol was abolished completeyl, which it has before.

Yeah and organized crime shot up.

Alakazam
11-06-2004, 02:33 AM
Well if you can go to war at 18 you should be able to drink.

No, I disagree. Those are two completely different things, and have nothing to do with each other. The only reason the draft age isn't 21 is because there are many people between the ages of 18-21, and the government may need them. It's completely irrelevant in a discussion about the drinking age, IMO.

ElimN8
11-06-2004, 03:05 AM
Nor would I. Alcohol is a terribly destructive "beverage", (technically, it's a poison) and I fail to see the point in consuming it.

And yet, somehow I don't think outlawing it would lessen its usage that much. :ermm:

Thanatos
11-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Yeah, its just like how marijuana is banned, it doesn't really stop people from using it (for the record I do not use it).

But I agree with Ashkelon, it's all about environment.

Dragonair
11-06-2004, 03:30 AM
No, I disagree. Those are two completely different things, and have nothing to do with each other. The only reason the draft age isn't 21 is because there are many people between the ages of 18-21, and the government may need them. It's completely irrelevant in a discussion about the drinking age, IMO.

It just sounds a bit messed up to me, at 18 you're 'adult' enough to go to war but not 'adult' enough to enjoy a can of beer.

I don't think the problem is so much the product itself but in how it's presented. We're living in a society that says in advertising that if you drink so and so brand of beer you're going to be surrounded by big breasted women and have the time of your life. Thus many hormone-charged teenagers will do anything to get their hands on a cold one.

Sudo
11-06-2004, 10:28 AM
here in jolly old england the drinking age is 18 but ive been enjoying the odd can since i was 10 lol :ermm:

Tamer Marco
11-06-2004, 09:51 PM
In Europe nine year olds can drink wine as long as thier taking small sips, and eating with it. :ermm:

I think the law should be raised to 30. No questions bout it.

Kenny_C.002
11-06-2004, 10:22 PM
It really depends on the culture itself and the amount of irresponsible teenagers within the population, relative to the amount of responsible teens. Generally, I feel the drinking age should be higher when there are more responsible teens and the age should be lower when there are more rebellious teens. This seems highly counter-intuitive, but you have to know that this is reverse psychology that works. I mean, the proportion of irresponsible teens stay around the same, then why aren't there more teens in certain European countries that drink to get drunk?

As for alcohol being a poison, it's poison only if you ingest large amounts. However, moderate amounts of alcohol instead boosts your health.

Tamer Marco
11-06-2004, 10:33 PM
It's not just the teens. Adults drink too. The adults usually become more irresponsible than the kids.

Alakazam
11-06-2004, 10:45 PM
It just sounds a bit messed up to me, at 18 you're 'adult' enough to go to war but not 'adult' enough to enjoy a can of beer.

I don't think the problem is so much the product itself but in how it's presented. We're living in a society that says in advertising that if you drink so and so brand of beer you're going to be surrounded by big breasted women and have the time of your life. Thus many hormone-charged teenagers will do anything to get their hands on a cold one.

That's part of it, I suppose. But it sickens me how much Americans buy into all that >_<

Tamer Marco
11-06-2004, 11:02 PM
That's part of it, I suppose. But it sickens me how much Americans buy into all that >_< They're just retarted with no real life of they're own. I'm pretty sure that no one at pe2k will buy into that crap.

Alakazam
11-07-2004, 01:06 AM
They're just retarted with no real life of they're own. I'm pretty sure that no one at pe2k will buy into that crap.

I hope they wouldn't, but yo must realize that what was said before was an exaggeration, and no one really conciously believes it...however they do accept the allure and "coolness" of it all, which frightens me.

Dragonair
11-07-2004, 03:16 AM
Just for the record I do not drink very often, I hate the taste of beer, wine and many other liquors and spirits.

Just for special occasions I'll have a Strawberry Daquiri Cooler that's about it.

Tamer Marco
11-07-2004, 01:47 PM
It may seem cool, but they'll realize that it's not cool to have liver cancer, and having yourself laying on your deathbed at 25 years old. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Dragonite, my mom let me have a sip of beer to see what it tasted like before, and I tried it. It tasted like throw-up! :dazed: My mom knew what it would taste like for me, and that nearly cured every last bit of me wanting a Beer for the rest of my life.

Kenny_C.002
11-14-2004, 05:04 PM
It's not just the teens. Adults drink too. The adults usually become more irresponsible than the kids.

You're missing the point here. The drinking age doesn't affect the adults. It doesn't matter what you do, there will always be enough irresponsible adults (i.e. this is unpreventable). What we CAN do is reduce the number of teens doing the same irresponsible behaviour.

TDD91
11-14-2004, 05:37 PM
It may seem cool, but they'll realize that it's not cool to have liver cancer, and having yourself laying on your deathbed at 25 years old. :rolleyes:

I agree with you Dragonite, my mom let me have a sip of beer to see what it tasted like before, and I tried it. It tasted like throw-up! :dazed: My mom knew what it would taste like for me, and that nearly cured every last bit of me wanting a Beer for the rest of my life.
Throw-up?! Ha, that proves yon americans have no taste compared to us Wiganers

I drink fairly often, and I don't think it does me any harm. I act stupid, not dangerous =P

ElimN8
11-14-2004, 08:57 PM
I don't think diving into a heap of rusty metal and glass shards does me any harm; does that mean I'll emerge unscathed?

Drinking is both stupid and dangerous.

Kenny_C.002
11-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Drinking is both stupid and dangerous.

As I said, in moderated consumption it boosts your health. Why does NOBODY listen?

Crimson Spider
11-16-2004, 09:19 AM
Yes, I think that a drinking age of 18 is too low. I detest the whole concept of "what point in time is it legal to take this drug." Personally, I think drinking should be for people who are 24 and up (at 21 your brain & body haven't fully developed). But I would rather eliminate it.

You remember how there at one point in time was an amendment that banned alcohol? Ah yes, number 18 I believe. Everyone remember why it was revoked? Answer: Because people kept doing it. They made it illegal to sell ethenol, yet not to drink it. So people would just go around from one place to another trying to get this illegal drink. The Government thought that the amendment was nearly pointless since it was having little positive action on the public, and they revoked it.

EDIT: Most people really don't know exactly what the properties of Ethenol are. Here are a few:

Ethenol is the decaying matter from cells that have died and are decomposing. Similar to the lactic acid in our bodies when oxygen is cut off, this chemical is extracted, and put into liquids for consumption. In essence, you are consuming the poison of death.

Set up by those strict health standards by those health guys (like the ones that made the food pyramid and determined what is overwheight or not) conclude that if someone were to follow all of their standards, their bodies liver would filter out 3 ounces of Alcohol per HOUR. That takes longer than to filter out the same amount of snake venom. Now, unless you eat all of those servings and are a toned healthy adult, your body is going to process less than that. So drinking more than 1 wine glass in an hour will release a toxic chemical into your body, one which the body recognizes as poison.

A person gets a "Buzz" when there is enough alcohol in the body to deteriorate the functions of the brain.

Also, ever since my parents started chasing liquer with wine, their intelligence level has dropped to a remarkably low level. A few years ago (back when my father used to smoke pot), I didn't want to move away from home anytime soon. Now, I can't wait until I get out of here.

Sudo
11-16-2004, 06:43 PM
I agree with Alex! if beer is being consumed responsibly it can be a nice thing to have around! mmmmmmmm beer :hungry:

The Most Wanted
11-22-2004, 01:22 AM
life's good at D.R (Dominican Republic)
no drinking age but people here know how to take care of themselves so its no problem.lol,i just go to the grocery store, get a can of beer and relax. *takes a drink of beer* aaaah la dolce vita =P

Alakazam
11-22-2004, 02:18 AM
I agree completely, CS. There's just no good reason to drink, and I think the government should do all it can to stop irresponsible teens from drinking. Poeple who are 21 years of age are hardly more responsible than those who are 16-17, generally. They tend to make the same mistakes when it comes to drugs and alcohol.

Why drink something that, to some, tastes good (I despise the taste myself), and poisons your body, when you can drink something that tastese just as good if not better and isn't deterimental to your health.

People enjoy being drunk, which boggles my mind. "Ha, ha, he passed out." If someone passes out from drinking too much alcohol, it's a very close brush with death. It's similar to the "tan" debacle, IMO. People love to get tanned, but all a tan is is a definate sign of permenant skin damage from the sun which is likely to cause cancer.

Keeper_of_Light
11-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Well I live in England. To purchace alcohol its 18. I am 17 and have been out drinking before some places just dont mind, I dont go out and get drunk or take drugs or anything like that though. I do think that the drinking age is the correct age as most people are very foolish at my kinda age, even at 18 they are too, but any higher would be unreasonable. We have house parties where we have loads of alcohol anyway and I have been having them for over a year now. I have never got very drunk or anything. Although many people around me get very drunk and some even take drugs, which I think is wrong. Even if they made the drinking age 21 or something it wouldnt make any difference really. I mean a few people I know have fake ID's etc... I think the drinking age here is just fine.

Sudo
12-02-2004, 08:27 PM
i live in England too, and i agree with you! :cool:

King Kangaskhan
12-04-2004, 07:19 PM
I agree completely, CS. There's just no good reason to drink, and I think the government should do all it can to stop irresponsible teens from drinking. Poeple who are 21 years of age are hardly more responsible than those who are 16-17, generally. They tend to make the same mistakes when it comes to drugs and alcohol.

Why drink something that, to some, tastes good (I despise the taste myself), and poisons your body, when you can drink something that tastese just as good if not better and isn't deterimental to your health.

People enjoy being drunk, which boggles my mind. "Ha, ha, he passed out." If someone passes out from drinking too much alcohol, it's a very close brush with death. It's similar to the "tan" debacle, IMO. People love to get tanned, but all a tan is is a definate sign of permenant skin damage from the sun which is likely to cause cancer.

What can the government do to stop it? You already said before that nobody cares about underage drinking and that people do it anyway. If they raise the age, they'll do it anyway. We'll have people that are in jail for underage drinking, and the jails will overflow leaving no room for rapists, muderers, etc.

We do people eat too much food? It only gets them fat and it can be harmful to the life. People drink because its just the way they are.

You're saying that we shouldn't drink or get tans because it can be harmful, even cause death. A lot of things can hurt us. Does that mean that we should never go out in the sun? We should never go outside? Driving can be deadly, but we do it anyway.

Alakazam
12-04-2004, 07:40 PM
What can the government do to stop it? You already said before that nobody cares about underage drinking and that people do it anyway. If they raise the age, they'll do it anyway. We'll have people that are in jail for underage drinking, and the jails will overflow leaving no room for rapists, muderers, etc. What can be done do stop it? Raising the age would help, still making it illegal when one turns 21. And, they won't be jailed for it? How many people do you know between the ages of 16-20 that have been jailed for drinking? It just doesn't happen. They'll do it anyway? Perhaps, but its the least the government can do to at least condone it.

We do people eat too much food? It only gets them fat and it can be harmful to the life. People drink because its just the way they are.Yes, but there is a purpose to eating. We need to eat to live. If you stop eating, you'll eventually die. If you stop drinking alocohol, or just never drink it, trust me, you will survive.

You're saying that we shouldn't drink or get tans because it can be harmful, even cause death. Yup. They'res no purpose to drinking or getting a tan, really, and you're only hurint gyourself. People are just too stupid to realize what they're doing to themselves. A lot of things can hurt us. Does that mean that we should never go out in the sun?I never said that, but they'res no reason to stay out in the sun for so long that you incur permanent skin damage; what's the use in that? We should never go outside? Driving can be deadly, but we do it anyway. Yes, but there's a purpose to driving.

Read bolded remarks. Its very true that we all take risks in life, but an intelligent person sunconciously executes a thought process called "risk assesment". People need to go outside (obviouslly), need to drive to get to work, but there is really NO purpose to drinking alcohol.

*doesn't even bother to wait for the response "Drinking has a purpose. People drink to have fun, and loosen up. Plus, some people are 'just like that'."*

First, I'll address the notion that there is a purpose to drinking, and that is to have fun. There are many things to do to have fun, so many that I won't even try to sum them up. However, is it your piece of cake to poison yourself to the point where you're barely concious and unaware of your surroundings? I hope not; it's unnecessary. I f you're drinking for fun, you need to get a hobby.

Next, I'll address "some people are just like that". Yes, you DO know that alcoholism is a disease, right? And that we have places to treat people like that. There are also people who enjoy slitting their wrists for fun. Should we allow them to do it because they're "just like that"? :rolleyes:

King Kangaskhan
12-04-2004, 09:45 PM
I just want to say that I don't drink.

Next, I'll address "some people are just like that". Yes, you DO know that alcoholism is a disease, right? And that we have places to treat people like that. There are also people who enjoy slitting their wrists for fun. Should we allow them to do it because they're "just like that"? :rolleyes:
First of all, I wasn't talking about the alocholics. I was just talking about people that go out and drink occassionally and get drunk once in a while. And yes, I do believe that we should allow them to do that? Why not? Unless they're driving, they're not doing anything really harmful. It is also their lives, they should be able to do anything they want. If it's harmful to other people, the government has set up laws to decide what is harmful and if htey break one of them, they'll have to pay the price.

My basic point is I see that drinking can be harmful, but I don't see how it is different from anything else that is harmful If people chose to hurt themseleves and not others, I don't see the reason to stop them. Even if there was a reason, there is really no way we could. We could raise the age limit, but the people that are already drinking will still be drinking. The government, in my opinion, is already condining it by having an age limit at all. They might never jail underage drinkers, but if they do raise the age and htey are real serious, they will have to jail them to set an example. If anything, I think it will cause a problem. The people could get angry at the government and there could be serious problems.

Another thing, with these people not drinking, how is it going to change anything? When I say these people, I mean people that drink occassionally, but not alocholics.

Alakazam
12-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Yeah, but the vast majority of underaged or even young, legal drinkers, don't drink responsibly...at least, not here in the US. They drink to get drunk.

King Kangaskhan
12-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes, they do drink to get drunk, but whats the problem with that? Most don't go around hurting people.

Alakazam
12-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Yes, they do drink to get drunk, but whats the problem with that? Most don't go around hurting people.

What's the problem with that!? It's stupid, foolish, and irresponsible. And they get behind the wheel of a car far too often while drunk. There are just some risks NOT worth taking.

King Kangaskhan
12-05-2004, 12:33 AM
I do agree that it is stupid, but most of the time nobody is getting hurt. I don't think that most do get behind the wheel. Otherwise, there'd be millions of people dying everyday because of drunk driving. Yes it is a risk, but you make sure it doesn't happen. You make sure theres a designated driver, you take the bus, you walk home, you don't drive.

Alakazam
12-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Not getting drunk in the first place would always be a good preventive measure :wink: :rolleyes:

King Kangaskhan
12-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Haha, yeah, but I don't think anything can be done to do that, unless we get rid of alcohol completely. However, that would probably cause a lot of problems.

Manjoume Jun
12-05-2004, 02:13 AM
I won't be able to drink alcohol legally for another 2 years (16th B-day is next Sunday), and even then, I'll only really drink on a casual basis, if at all.

Perhaps just a beer every now and then, just to sit down and relax to.

I dunno'... guess it's a little too early for me to tell.

Nefarious
12-23-2004, 10:38 PM
I completely agree with Alakazam. I mean c'mon. It really is stupid to get drunk. Alcohol doesn't benefit anybody in any way. It is of course all right to have some once in a while but to get drunk is stupid. They should rise the drinking age. Even though adults can just buy beer and give it to anyone they want to. I don't know what law can prevent that though. Personally I think beer tastes gross. It makes you smell and what's the benefit?

Sudo
12-24-2004, 12:37 PM
well....i went to a party and me and i was the only one that wasnt hammered and i had the same amount of beer as them! they must be light weights! :rolleyes:

SoulExcalibur
12-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Yeah, alcoholic drinks are good for your health to some extent, but getting drunk just shows something about one's character, IMO. I think the reason people get drunk is because they like the feeling of it, and/or the brain has adapted to the toxins so much that it depends on it. Lack of judgement, staggering around, reduced amount of shaking (yes, this can help you play pool), and all that other good stuff. Yes, it's strange that people would actually like those effects. I guess they like that since they wouldn't have the balls to do in their sober state, so get themselves drunk so their inhibitions are gone for a given time and they can let loose.

Maybe of these people went outside their depressed lives and have a will to change then they could see the light of the effects of alcohol in their lives and others around them. I wouldn't completely abolish alcohol since you can see what Prohibition did to society, hence Al Capone. I would just put more restriction on it to where you can start when you fully develop your brain and have more experience in life.

Jack of Clovers
12-27-2004, 03:04 AM
Age 21: allowed to drink in US
--teens already drink before they reach that age.

-if they lower it to 18, then teens will drink at an early age than before.
-at 21, colleges suffer the binge drinking society

i think raising the age to 25 is sufficient. also, the government should require classes on Drug Education in college. i've taken one and learned a lot about alcohol. it's horrible. whoever said most drunks don't hurt anyone is wrong because they hurt themselves.

did you know, when a drunk crashes into another car, it's most likely that the drunk will live while the people in the other car all die. :eek:

~Jack~

Metal Mario
12-28-2004, 10:14 PM
It should always be 21 or older it would be stupid younger

SP4NUFC
01-02-2005, 06:10 PM
The age of 18 is a totally acceptable age to be legally allowed to drink alcohol. By this age the boby has just about fully matured and can cope with the intake of alcohol. Also the individual has mentally matured and won't act in a disorderly manner (in front of Police Ofiicers). I think 21 is harsh and untrustworthy of these governments. As far as i am concerned if i can be trusted to cast a vote in an election i can be trusted to drink alcohol freely as well.

JohtoTrainer
01-02-2005, 09:16 PM
The age of 18 is a totally acceptable age to be legally allowed to drink alcohol. By this age the boby has just about fully matured and can cope with the intake of alcohol. Also the individual has mentally matured and won't act in a disorderly manner (in front of Police Ofiicers). I think 21 is harsh and untrustworthy of these governments. As far as i am concerned if i can be trusted to cast a vote in an election i can be trusted to drink alcohol freely as well.

Um, no, voting is tottaly different than getting drunk, driving a car and killing someone because your a moron. 18 year-olds are irresponsible, they think they are grown up so they think they can drive drunk. I agree with Jack it should be 25, also if I think it's 25 there won't be as many alcholholics because people usually turn to alcoholics during the college years. Casting a vote in an election is not a matter of life or death, drinking, is.

Matt & Vulpix
01-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, I belive I shall never drink and if I never do, it will never evolve into a drinking problem. The age should be eighteen at least, and under no way should any minor drink any liquid that has alcohol in it. It's just wrong!

Kenny_C.002
01-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Banning alcohol would just make it all underground and make the matters even worst than now.

Our next option is to increase the legal drinking age. That's NOT going to do anything IMO since really the teens would just illegally do it anyway. On top of that, the main problem situations are the rebellious ages of teens and 40yo adults. Raising the legal drinking age is not going to solve either.

Next is lowering the legal drinking age. You know, rebellious teens drink because they're not allowed to. Oh look, they're allowed. I would actually expect a lowered count of people drinking at that age group (see Europeans) on average density. Of course, this doesn't affect the 40yo adults either.

What are we to do? I seriously don't know. Lowering the age to 16 is probably the least evil of the 3. Obviously this is my opinion, don't go and take offense.

SP4NUFC
01-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Um, no, voting is tottaly different than getting drunk, driving a car and killing someone because your a moron. 18 year-olds are irresponsible, they think they are grown up so they think they can drive drunk. I agree with Jack it should be 25, also if I think it's 25 there won't be as many alcholholics because people usually turn to alcoholics during the college years. Casting a vote in an election is not a matter of life or death, drinking, is.

That is so sterotypical of you. You can't group a certain age of person together and blame them for drink driving offences. When in actual fact the DVLA published statistics stating that the majority of drink driving offences are caused by the 30-40 year olds. 18 is a perfectly fine age to be allowed to drink, it is when most people enter the real world and go into higher education, into the work place, or both. There for these people have a disponsable income to go out with. To be able to vote but not be allowed to choose what legal substances you can put in your body is frankly contradictory.

Bandit
01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Alchohol is disgusting my parents let me try wine and beer but it's disgusting i'm never gonna drink that stuff ever again.

Matt & Vulpix
01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
That really makes sense Kenny. If something is banned, it is more wanted. If something isn't banned, well it isn't as "cool" to do it.

King Kangaskhan
01-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Banning alcohol would just make it all underground and make the matters even worst than now.

Our next option is to increase the legal drinking age. That's NOT going to do anything IMO since really the teens would just illegally do it anyway. On top of that, the main problem situations are the rebellious ages of teens and 40yo adults. Raising the legal drinking age is not going to solve either.

Next is lowering the legal drinking age. You know, rebellious teens drink because they're not allowed to. Oh look, they're allowed. I would actually expect a lowered count of people drinking at that age group (see Europeans) on average density. Of course, this doesn't affect the 40yo adults either.

What are we to do? I seriously don't know. Lowering the age to 16 is probably the least evil of the 3. Obviously this is my opinion, don't go and take offense.

I don't think that most underage drinkers just drink to be "cool" or "rebellious." So I don't really think lowering the age would do anything. I think it could even make a higher count of people drinking. Now, the kids that are waiting to turn 21, but are too scared to drink underage or something will have the right to drink now. So they have nothing to be scared of.

Also just because Europe doesn't have a drinking age and it has a lower count of people drinking, you can't just say that because they don't have a drinking age, less people drink. A lot of factors have to be taken into account. Our lifestyles in the US is totally different from life in European countries.

Keeper_of_Light
01-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Well in the UK there is a drinking age, its 18. I am now 18 but b4 i was i just got my older mates to get it for me and i see kids that must be 12 being served without being ID'd. These are mostly townies if anyone has any idea what they are that is, lol. They cause a lot of trouble where I live and there is loads of them. So at leaste where i live the drinking age dont stand for anything in some places, most places are strikt though.

SP4NUFC
01-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Well in the UK there is a drinking age, its 18. I am now 18 but b4 i was i just got my older mates to get it for me and i see kids that must be 12 being served without being ID'd. These are mostly townies if anyone has any idea what they are that is, lol. They cause a lot of trouble where I live and there is loads of them. So at leaste where i live the drinking age dont stand for anything in some places, most places are strikt though.

Townies are people from Newcastle where i come from, Northumberland.

LaprasRider
01-16-2005, 03:37 PM
I hate beer! I've tried it years ago. And cigarettes, who wants to be breathing in smoke?

Keeper_of_Light
01-19-2005, 06:34 PM
I hate beer! I've tried it years ago. And cigarettes, who wants to be breathing in smoke?
Dont like them either i drink Malibu and Coke its ace, and i have lernt to put up with smoke been around it all my life.

Alakazam
01-19-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't put up with smoke. I can't stand the smell, myself. Luckily, I don't know many smokers. :x

Keeper_of_Light
01-20-2005, 10:38 AM

I agree with you there. Although it is hard saying that it is mostly certain age groups. In the UK they did a studty and found most driking offences were made by ppl in theior 20's though. I know loads of people that mostly stopped drinking after they were 18 as they dont get as much a a frill from drinking it. I have only got drunk once on my 18th birthday, and that was becasue all my mates kept buying me drinks and well you know where things go....

I drink because I like the drink never to get drunk or anything, thats stupid. Although i do know that i am in the minority there. I just cant understand people like that.

darkmewtwo1111
12-28-2005, 04:32 PM
the drinking age should start at 21 years old

DaRkUmBrEoN
12-28-2005, 04:35 PM
OMG!!!
Do you ever read the threads you posted in...
Two people, me included, have told you to stay out of topics older than a month.