PDA

View Full Version : How do Pokemon contests work on TV?

AshMistyMayfan
11-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I've seen the contests and quite frankly, I'm lost. I don't even know if May deserves to win these contests for they're written out to make her look silly. Rather then be happy she won the prize at Fallarbor, I kind of felt like I didn't want to know her anymore. I don't see how a Beautifly, which is good against fighting Pokemon, can stand up to the Medicham. While it can take a kick, what about the confusion attack? Confusion could wipe it out. I would've put Medicham over any Pokemon for the Hi Jump Kick is a 6 heart move, and Mind Reader makes it a 12 heart move! I've looked at the Beautifly's attacks and it can't stand up in a contest to me. IT can't be framed at Lillicove if May went that route.

The contests seem to be mixed up. THe Pokemon firing their attacks in the air for round 1, that should be round 2! Then these 2 minute like battle royal battles don't seem logical. I've tried to give it a chance, but it don't work the way they wrote it out on TV. IT should've been written similar to the game, not have Pokemon beating each other up.

May is better at trying to battle, not these contests. They're wrong for TV. :sad: :sad: :sad: Her Pokemon deserve better.

Enchanted Flygon
11-06-2004, 04:52 PM
um, in the show, the heros always win, so they had to figure out a way for her to win

Marill
11-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Well, I thought the way they did the contests was fantastic; it made me want to check out being a Coordinator rather than a Trainer in some upcoming RPG's. It seems to capture the art of Pokémon more than regular ole battling does.

Tamer Marco
11-06-2004, 06:20 PM
I think they've improved on the contests on the game. I didn't like just using an attack, and see what I got, especially other trainer pokemon scaring my pokemon. In these contests, you can't scare your opponets pokemon, and you get some action in between.

Marill
11-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Exactly! I just loved the new style of the contests. There was actually action between Pokémon, rather than just your own. I also liked how May was actually equal to Ash in the anime -- the anime turned towards her journey for once, rather than just his.

Tamer Marco
11-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Exactly! I just loved the new style of the contests. There was actually action between Pokémon, rather than just your own. I also liked how May was actually equal to Ash in the anime -- the anime turned towards her journey for once, rather than just his. Yeah! It makes Pokemon more enjoyable to watch, because the anime isn't just focusing on one person. And for the contests I don't see how anyone could think that the Game contests are better. :ermm:

And I have a question: How do you get that sign on the e for Pokemon? It's off topic, but i'd like to know.

Missingno mystery
11-06-2004, 07:58 PM
And I have a question: How do you get that sign on the e for Pokemon? It's off topic, but i'd like to know.
Hold Alt-press 0233 and you get-é! Pokémon or POKÉMON! É is 0201.

Tamer Marco
11-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Alright, thanks, but it doesn't work for me. :ermm:

AshMistyMayfan
11-06-2004, 09:53 PM
May seems too much of a cheerleader when she goes into the contests and I just have a hard picture of her being serious. Of course the game is way different and I can't really judge May's reaction since she doesn't move in the game.

THe game contests doesn't have the Pokemon battling each other, that's the turnoff for me when I see the contests on TV. It doesn't seem right, I just feel a better story should be told. Also, how come May was going nuts over her first ribbon? It's not a Superbowl win now, that kills a show to overdo the character.

I feel a Pokemon contest is a step down from May's talents. May can do good in Pokemon battles, but she just gave up and the contests seem mismatched for May's Pokemon. I just can't picture May winning contests, maybe her winning over Elite 4 in the game is a better talent for her. I want May to mature into a great person, not to be just good for contests.

Tamer Marco
11-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Of coruse she sounds like a cheerleader. She and her pokemon are in a beauty contest for god sakes!

Jack of Clovers
11-07-2004, 10:34 PM
IT should've been written similar to the game, not have Pokemon beating each other up.
i disagree. the game is a game is its restricted to how much it can do. but the Anime is real life (sorta) and has more breathing room. in real life there are more factors than a game can produce, so the Pokemon Contests in the Anime will be much different than the game. example: attacks from the game do different things in the Anime.
to me, that's what makes the Anime more fun than the games. Anime has realistic qualities. i may be a bit confused on how the contest scoring works, but I think the contest is run like it should be.

~Jack~

Tamer Marco
11-07-2004, 10:36 PM
True that Jack. :cool:

Anyway, I sorta think this thread should be closed. Because it's just about Contests. You can't march up to the creators, and say: make the contest like this, or that.

AshMistyMayfan
11-08-2004, 12:00 AM
I don't understand what there is about this contest that is right, or logical when I look at it. Pokemon attacking each other in a contest is like what if some dogs broke loose and started fighting with each other? There'd be chaos out there. Shouldn't safety be set up in a contest so that the fan doesn't get hurt out there? I think what the Pokemon do sounds dangerous to fight each other for 2 minutes, risk hurting themselves and also hurting the audience. Maybe they'd accidentally hit their cooridinators, it could happen you know. A Pokemon firing its powers is like the lightning that comes out of the sky, there's no control and somebody can get hurt. I just feel May takes these things too seriously, it's not right and makes her look flaky again. May can't be freaking out like a little girl if she's a teenager> Never mind the age of 10, she's a teenager in my opinion.

Think of it, what if all the contests we know and heard of were like the Pokemon contests? I feel chaos would ensue and people would get hurt. That's my concern over these contests and of May's attitude. Much as Drew may be a jerk, he is serious believe it or not and May has to learn from him to be serious.

Tamer Marco
11-08-2004, 12:38 AM
I don't understand what there is about this contest that is right, or logical when I look at it. Pokemon attacking each other in a contest is like what if some dogs broke loose and started fighting with each other? There'd be chaos out there. Shouldn't safety be set up in a contest so that the fan doesn't get hurt out there? I think what the Pokemon do sounds dangerous to fight each other for 2 minutes, risk hurting themselves and also hurting the audience. Maybe they'd accidentally hit their cooridinators, it could happen you know. A Pokemon firing its powers is like the lightning that comes out of the sky, there's no control and somebody can get hurt. I just feel May takes these things too seriously, it's not right and makes her look flaky again. May can't be freaking out like a little girl if she's a teenager> Never mind the age of 10, she's a teenager in my opinion.

Think of it, what if all the contests we know and heard of were like the Pokemon contests? I feel chaos would ensue and people would get hurt. That's my concern over these contests and of May's attitude. Much as Drew may be a jerk, he is serious believe it or not and May has to learn from him to be serious. Well, do you really think that someone's going to get struck by lightning and die on a kid's Anime?! 0_o

~Bayleef~
12-02-2004, 09:22 PM
I love Pokemon Contests on the TV show, WAAAAAY better than the games...well so is the TV show ^_^

How they work:

1) 50 Co-ordinators compete

2) All 50 make an appeal with their Pokemon

3) 4 Co-ordinators are chosen to go to the 2nd round

4) There are 2 1-on-1 Contest battles

5) The 2 winners of the battles go onto the 3rd round (final round)

6) The 2 Co-ordinators battle

7) The winner of the battle wins the Pokemon Contest and gets a ribbon

NOTE: Co-ordinators need a minumum of 5 ribbons to compete in the Grand Festival.

If anyone else has any questions then just ask, I'm here to help!

Pokemon_Dude2006
03-08-2006, 10:40 PM
the contests canda suck!

Pokemon Trainer Sarah
03-09-2006, 04:16 AM
Please don't revive threads older than 1 month. Be sure to check the date before you post.